Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

On the basis of the some of the comments posted here, I take it the following is rubbish and not to be believed ...

Frawley - article on the official MFC website:

Having been through plenty already, Frawley said he hadn’t seen his team as tight knit as it is at the moment. In fact, Frawley said he was “proud” of the resilience shown by his teammates under adversity.

“After a great pre-season, all the boys were full of optimism and hope,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“It’s been a tough six weeks, with one win and five losses - but that’s the good thing about this group, the boys are staying pretty positive and upbeat and they’re looking to get better and improve as a group.

We’ve been pleased with how the group has responded to week to week situations – as a group and as a club.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-08/frawley-focused-and-firmly-on-his-feet

• Like 3

So Roos is to be the saviour of this club because the AFL are worried about us......God give me strength......Since when do the AFL run this club......Who then worries about the Bulldogs...Nth...Ect.....Paul Roos took 202 games to get a premiership......Not sure posters here could wait that long.....

If the AFL are running my club, they can do it without my support.....

If this is true, which I doubt......MFC will have 6 less members from my family...

I wouldn't care less who ran the MFC if we were successful.

• Like 7

No, No and No. But principles of good business practice are fairly universal. You ignore those principles at your peril, whether your business is in trouble or not. The business cycle is never stagnant. You need to always protect the brand.

But if people have stopped believing in the brand it's time to build a new one. If something is rotten at the core you can't just keep trying to sell it, you've got to make changes to win back confidence in the future. There are plenty of examples of this happening in the business world. You would have to agree that the short-term view can be dangerous because it tends to restrict an organisation’s vision for the future? It’s an obvious truth that all businesses are in it to make money but if they want to ensure long-term growth and to be winning new customers they can’t simply focus on short-term goals.

On the basis of the some of the comments posted here, I take it the following is rubbish and not to be believed ...

Frawley - article on the official MFC website:

Having been through plenty already, Frawley said he hadn’t seen his team as tight knit as it is at the moment. In fact, Frawley said he was “proud” of the resilience shown by his teammates under adversity.

“After a great pre-season, all the boys were full of optimism and hope,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“It’s been a tough six weeks, with one win and five losses - but that’s the good thing about this group, the boys are staying pretty positive and upbeat and they’re looking to get better and improve as a group.

We’ve been pleased with how the group has responded to week to week situations – as a group and as a club.”

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-08/frawley-focused-and-firmly-on-his-feet

Ron, its press release that serves a demographic. Its no statement of fact.

How much you want to believe depends how much sugar you like with them.

I would be circumspect of anything released by the Club.

Its amazing how McLardy said that post the tanking outcome that we all need to stick together and that no heads would roll then mysteriously our CEO departs after round 2 of the main season.

• Like 1

I have defended Neeld quite a lot and even some of the decisions that now seem questionable. Where we are at right now has not justified my defense to be honest.

1. Were expensive tall forwards really our biggest priority when our midfield is so far behind the rest of the league and is manned by one inside mid who is always tagged, two players yet to play ten games, and a mid that can ONLY tag, always moving players like Grimes back into the midfield because we have to? How much better would our side look with another polished mid to complement Nathan Jones? And the lack of spread in the second year is a shocker

2. Why didnt Mark 'see the Port Adelaide loss coming?' - again our midfield isnt simply good enough - and it cant be with one inside mid and Colin Sylvia and Grimesy having to come in attempting to sure it up - RELYING on two midfielders in their first ten games of AFL footy FFS!

3. Skills levels and disposals have been major provlems at the club for years, yet I just cannot see any improvement in this area

4. The co-captain appointment - criticised or not it seems that its a fail in hindsight despite my defense of it.

5. While Neeld and Moloney clearly didnt see eye-to-eye and there might be more to the story than we know losing our only other experienced bigbodied inside mid has just resulted in Nathan Jones being stiffled by endless tags.

6. If your going to chase talls make them talls that can take marks...

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse
  • Like 1

Ron, its press release that serves a demographic. Its no statement of fact.

How much you want to believe depends how much sugar you like with them.

I would be circumspect of anything released by the Club.

Its amazing how McLardy said that post the tanking outcome that we all need to stick together and that no heads would roll then mysteriously our CEO departs after round 2 of the main season.

Rhino R, a direct quote attributable to a player is far better evidence than anything to the contrary that I've read on this thread to date.

Quite frankly, I'm absolutely in the dark as to what's going on within the club - but it seems to me that many others here and in the media are as well, although several here continue to make various strong assertions based on, what appears to be, pure speculation/completely illusory evidence.

I just want to know the facts as to which players have lost confidence in Neeld/the football department - yet no one seems able/willing to provide such information.

As I've stated previously, if such opinions are based on pure speculation, that's fine - just don't assert that such opinions are based on fact.

Simple stuff really.

• Like 1

So Roos is to be the saviour of this club because the AFL are worried about us......God give me strength......Since when do the AFL run this club......Who then worries about the Bulldogs...Nth...Ect.....Paul Roos took 202 games to get a premiership......Not sure posters here could wait that long.....

If this is true, which I doubt......MFC will have 6 less members from my family...

I agree Bossdog, with our history of sound decision making, strong management and successful on field performances the last thing I want is.................. wait a minute!

Heaven forbid, with AFL backing imagine what could happen to our club.......

FM, you've got to be kidding. I'm sceptical about the report but it wouldn't surprise me either, seven years of failure and lower now than we ever have been the AFL have reason to be very worried about us.

Just give me some hope!!

• Like 1

I think it's a hyped up story on a quiet day but Roos took over as coach toward the end of 2002, made Prelim in 2003 and won a flag in 2005. Pretty sure the 202 games would include time as an assistant and player at Sydney as he arrived there in 1995 from memory

• Like 1

I have defended Neeld quite a lot and even some of the decisions that now seem questionable. Where we are at right now has not justified my defense to be honest.

1. Were expensive tall forwards really our biggest priority when our midfield is so far behind the rest of the league and is manned by one inside mid who is always tagged, two players yet to play ten games, and a mid that can ONLY tag, always moving players like Grimes back into the midfield because we have to? How much better would our side look with another polished mid to complement Nathan Jones? And the lack of spread in the second year is a shocker

2. Why didnt Mark 'see the Port Adelaide loss coming?' - again our midfield isnt simply good enough - and it cant be with one inside mid and Colin Sylvia and Grimesy having to come in attempting to sure it up - RELYING on two midfielders in their first ten games of AFL footy FFS!

3. Skills levels and disposals have been major provlems at the club for years, yet I just cannot see any improvement in this area

4. The co-captain appointment - criticised or not it seems that its a fail in hindsight despite my defense of it.

5. While Neeld and Moloney clearly didnt see eye-to-eye and there might be more to the story than we know losing our only other experienced bigbodied inside mid has just resulted in Nathan Jones being stiffled by endless tags.

Would you classify Clark, Dawes and Hogan as talls that can take marks? I certainly would.

It's obvious to everyone that the midfield is our major problem. They will try and rectify that at the end of the year through trades, free agency and the draft. There wasn't many midfielders we could have traded for or got through free agency last year, and we picked up Viney and Toumpas in the draft. Sure they will have a massive crack at getting a big name this year, and look to draft the best available mids.

• Like 1

I agree Bossdog, with our history of sound decision making, strong management and successful on field performances the last thing I want is.................. wait a minute!

FM, you've got to be kidding. I'm sceptical about the report but it wouldn't surprise me either, seven years of failure and lower now than we ever have been the AFL have reason to be very worried about us.

Just give me some hope!!

So you would sell your soul for a flag?????

Why would the AFL save us????.....and not the Bulldogs......who last time I looked were 1 to 2 mil in the red.....

Not having a go but I would be careful what I wish for.....

Edit ......Grammar.

Edited by Bossdog

Just give me some hope!!

Yep, let's build a strong resilient club capable of climbing the premiership mountain based on the interference and pitying benevolence of the AFL..!

MFC: "Andrew, can you find us a good CEO because we're too useless to do it ourselves? please"

AD: "You are useless, I'll get the perfect person for you"

MFC: "Andrew, can you find us a good coach because we're too useless to do it ourselves? please"

AD: "You guys really are useless, I'll sort it out for you, don't worry you pretty but empty heads"

I'd be joining Bossdog in giving up on the AFL's newest enterprise, formerly known as the MFC...

Edited by PaulRB

this thread sucks get behind the club, stop being so negative, give neeld his time to make a difference, if at the end of his contract it has been a fail then move him on, early days

• Like 10

So you would sell your soul for a flag?????

If i had one left I would

• Like 3

Good post NSC - forgive me for highlighting two points which I see as highly significant.

Oh please...

this thread sucks get behind the club, stop being so negative, give neeld his time to make a difference, if at the end of his contract it has been a fail then move him on, early days

Many posters are trying to be positive and get the club to take some positive action m'lord!

• Like 2

do you see us being competitive against footscray or north? maybe some impartial people are seriously disturbed by the level to which we have dropped - far below other clubs with whom we might have been level, or above, a couple of years ago

Bimbo's post has some merit dee-luded, but if it was broken down in detail there would be much to debate. My view is that the MFC culture changed drastically in 1965 and has been struggling ever since. Along the way, there have been highs and mostly lows. So, where does that leave us now? IMO we are in a bigger mess than ever - those at the top are largely at fault, but MN is not the coach we need at the coalface at this time. It is a risk, but MFC needs to bite the bullet and make changes now, not just MN, but also at the top, however I'm not expecting any voluntary resignations!

sorry but I disagree.. re the coach at this moment... the coach's methods is what is needed. But if we/the club change the coach this year,,,,,, then we'll need another coach who'll carry on the Cultural rebuild...

... it takes guts to undertake the biggest job any AFL club will ever have to undertake,,, & that is to change its Spots! (shed the skin & lets get started)

I agree with what you say about 1965,,,, but look at this, I say the culture was already Cosy, from back near the start of the Club,,, & it then took a man from Richmond by the name of Percy Page,, to bring some change to the club... the club had one 2 Premierships prior to 1933, (1900 & 1926) that is all in a smaller competition...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_%27Checker%27_Hughes#Coaching_career

.... Enter the Dragon,,,, (Percy Page), who in turn brings the FireBrand (Frank Hughes) to the club in 1933... changed the name, to change the Culture... from pretty flowers to hardened (Demons).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Football_Club#Age_of_greatness

It took him 6 Years to change the club into a Premiership Outfit... 1939,,, & then plenty more,,, & in turn spawned a ruthless culture of Winning, & of developing great players, & strong people.

... a heritage to handover,,, & it was,,, to a fella by the name of Smith. He kept the flame aglow...

those who quelled it (the flame) were IMO, of the gentleman's club. they took back, that with which they had lost to Hughes & Smith, those pretty flowers.

.... IMO this is the culture of the North... a lovely & politically correct, sterile & safe abode.

this is the culture we Don't want our young players to adopt, not until they're at least 28 Yrs old. finishing school is done far too young at Melbourne.

Edited by dee-luded

Rhino R, a direct quote attributable to a player is far better evidence than anything to the contrary that I've read on this thread to date.

Quite frankly, I'm absolutely in the dark as to what's going on within the club - but it seems to me that many others here and in the media are as well, although several here continue to make various strong assertions based on, what appears to be, pure speculation/completely illusory evidence.

I just want to know the facts as to which players have lost confidence in Neeld/the football department - yet no one seems able/willing to provide such information.

As I've stated previously, if such opinions are based on pure speculation, that's fine - just don't assert that such opinions are based on fact.

Simple stuff really.

A fluff press release is flimsy evidence at best. Its one thing to "say" it in a press release but its another thing when your body language says otherwise. For a bloke who ran down Lewis Jetta at the MCG over 100 metres, Frawley cruizes these days reminiscent of Goddard in 2012 at St Kilda.

The only thing you are right about is that we are all in the dark about what is going on at the Club.....apparently most of all in the dark is the Board.

And to be honest Ron, you're really the last person who should be chiding people about facts.

Late last year you throwing rose petals at Neelds feet and calling the end of bruise free football. I am firetrucked what "facts" you based this on when the scoreboard and the on field viewing was so bad.

There were those like me who claimed that the jury was out on Neeld based on the putrid football in 2012 that were labelled "dweebs" by you for not buying in. Neeld was given the benrfit of the 1st year honeymoon but on all accounts LY was pathetic. This year has been worse its appalling. And I would not be surprised if Frawley sought greener pastures. I cant think of a more spiritless place to work than MFC over the past six years.

And this is just opinion Ron, but I think we are in a worse position now than we ever were. I dont have confidence in Neeld and his record stands testimony to that. And in my opinion, so few players who were on the list in 2011 have progress bar Jones. I dont need facts. I can observe.

As a supporters MFC is truly awful to watch this year (and last year). I can only imagine what it must be for the mainstays of the Club now like Frawley, Jones and Garland. And when they look at Beamer, Rivers and others in professionally run organisations....Hmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

There all good points NSC. And there are indeed others that can be asked. But when you have someone with 5 wins out of 28 games, the sand in the hourglass is running low.