Is anyone else concerned?

deanoDA

Nab cup in 2012 1 win 4 losses

Nab cup in 2013 1 win 4 losses ( including GCS )

Does not look like much change to me.

Nab Cup in 2012 means nothing

Nab Cup in 2013 means nothing

Doesn't look like much change to me either...

• Like 2

While I would love to see us win a lot more games I am more interested in us getting our game plan right this year. We still need to cover basic stuff like tackling correctly, shepherding, kicking long, forward pressure, crumbing, clearances and building depth, because at the moment we all seem to be relying on Clark and Dawes to come in and save us, which hopefully will happen but if it doesnt where do we go?

• Like 1

Nab Cup in 2012 means nothing

Nab Cup in 2013 means nothing

Doesn't look like much change to me either...

You were probably saying the same last year and expecting to beat Brisbane.

You were probably saying the same last year and expecting to beat Brisbane.

True, I did think we would beat Brisbane, but surely you've noticed how we approached this years NAB Cup? Young team off to play Port, stars rested, normal rotations vs GC's extended ones... We used it as a means of practice and refinement this year. It's abundantly clear Neeld doesn't give a stuff about NAB Cup so don't get in the bath with the razor blades just yet OD.

True, I did think we would beat Brisbane, but surely you've noticed how we approached this years NAB Cup? Young team off to play Port, stars rested, normal rotations vs GC's extended ones... We used it as a means of practice and refinement this year. It's abundantly clear Neeld doesn't give a stuff about NAB Cup so don't get in the bath with the razor blades just yet OD.

If I was inclined to get in the bath with razor blades due to the MFC I would have done it a very long time ago stuie.

I might add I thought we would beat Brisbane I think I said 1 goal.

But alas we all saw our year die that afternoon.

If I was inclined to get in the bath with razor blades due to the MFC I would have done it a very long time ago stuie.

I might add I thought we would beat Brisbane I think I said 1 goal.

But alas we all saw our year die that afternoon.

I hear ya on that, I was shattered after that loss.

I haven't been seduced by our changes etc, but I'm not putting as much weight on Round 1 this year as realistically I think it will take half the season for the team to gel, but I've got high hopes for after that.

At this stage I have nothing but high expectations.

We will be better than last year because:

Mitch Clarke will be back

We won't have to play guys who don't give a toss about being in the team or playing for the jumper

We will be fitter

We have more options up forward

Jack Watts has found his position

We have Toumpas, Viney, Dawes, Byrne, Rodan, Pederson, Terlich, M. Jones, etc who all want to play for the club and show us what they've got

We will be better because we are!

GO DEES!

Great call mate. Go Dees!

• Like 1

I hear ya on that, I was shattered after that loss.

I haven't been seduced by our changes etc, but I'm not putting as much weight on Round 1 this year as realistically I think it will take half the season for the team to gel, but I've got high hopes for after that.

I think we have improved the playing list stuie but I don't think enough to make significant gains.

I will be happy with six wins and very few belting's or games that are over at quarter time.

Injuries or the lack of them could be the difference between another ordinary year and an improved one.

• Like 1

We won 2 in 2012. We lost our other 2 games by 79 and 48pts. So yeh id say there has been change if you actually think about it.

So we have done worse this year or are we judging our ability by degrees of losing

What would you prefer?

Loss by 2,15,25,25 or 3,48,79

And 3 of the 4 losses were without a couple of handy fwds and backs. How can you say nothings changed?

We are still not winning

Im not concerned as yet. I await a real game with most of our preferred list in their best positions. From this i will gauge improvements ...if any.
I expect some. Ive also become used to disappointments.

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 1

Apart from this bit

"We won't have to play guys who don't give a toss about being in the team or playing for the jumper", which is disrespectful to a lot of players and nearly spoils the rest

You make good points

I hate to do it but experts had Carlton beating Brisbane in NAB Cup

I have no idea what we are going to be like this season, but excited about watching what unfolds

No disrespect intended to any current players. My point is that we have moved on those who didn't care and that a new culture and ethos has been put in place where playing for MFC depends on commitment to the team.

I'm massively concerned.

Our engine room is still third world other than the injection of some babies and has beens. I'm expecting Nate Jones to be Nate Jones and have another strong year but other than that here is hoping. From the kids (Viney, Toumpas etc) I just want 15 - 20 games of good solid footy with maybe the odd touch of brilliance to keep our mouths watering for years to come. Let's not place ridiculous expectations on these kids like we have in the past.

Looking over our list we may look stronger up forward and down back but it's always won in the engine room. And for those who think we will beat the franchise teams, don't be so confident. They will improve at a faster rate than us I believe (although I honestly believe we will still take them this year).

Comparing midfields of the teams we will challenge this year:

Gold Coast - Ablett, Swallow, Prestia & Bennel. Add in the baby O'Meara and I would have that midfield any day of the week over ours.

GWS - Greene, Ward, Scully, Treloar, Coniglio and add in Whitfield and O'Rourke as first year players that match our Toumpas & Viney. I think we will compete well here.

Dogs - Boyd, Griffen, Cooney and Cross is getting older but still would eat our pups alive. Throw in there father sons and the two first rounders and they have us.

As for Port we mach up well although Wines will have a more instant impact then our babies. Saw him a couple weeks ago and he has gone from a big boy to looking like he is carved from stone (I believe Viney & Toumpas will be better long term).

I don't know if I am a realist or just pessimistic but I can't see us getting 8 wins this year.

This maybe a self preservation mechanism, expect the worst but hope for the best.

We are still not winning

It's the NAB Cup, OD.

Do you think I took the win over Collingwood seriously in 2012?

We also 'beat' NM if you accept that Supergoals don't exist in actual footy.

It is so meaningless.

I know we have a third world midfield, OD, but save judgements for when the real stuff starts.

I'm massively concerned.

I don't know if I am a realist or just pessimistic but I can't see us getting 8 wins this year.

This maybe a self preservation mechanism, expect the worst but hope for the best.

I think you are being realistic.

Our midfield is what you say it is.

But we all know that coming into the season.

We should be pessimistic if we think we can make finals, we shoudln't be if we simply want to improve.

I also don't think it is helpful to compare to other teams. No other team is in our boat. We have a unique vessel and it needs its own critique and solutions.

Jones, Grimes, McKenzie, Viney, Toumpas, Blease, Magner, Matt Jones, Bail, Rodan, Sylvia, Trengove, Tapscott, Tynan, Taggert, Barry, Byrnes, Evans, Howe, Nicholson and Kent is what we have got for 2013.

Who we will have for 2014 and beyond is irrelevant to this year - the way it is, is the way it is.

I just want that motley crew to show some heart and some fight.

Settled back 6 with Thompson, Grima, Firrito, McMahon, Atley and co, midfield with a good leader in Swallow and X factor in Wells and some good foot soldiers who play the right way and then the Petrie, Tarrant and the other big spud. Throw in Harvey once he's back from suspension. North are much more experienced individually and as a team than we are which makes them a hard side to beat if you don't get on top of them. Good sides can trounce North because their talls down back can be thrashed, their forwards can be taken care off if you have individual good defenders and their midfield lose confidence as kids do if they are getting beaten physically like Hawthorn and West Coast have done to them. But they are structurally sound and have consistent players so we don't have a hope beating them until we become an even team.

They also have a ridiculously tough draw, Pies, Hawks, Crows and Cats twice, plus two trips to Perth.

I like North but I can't see them winning more than 8-10 games this year. That will still probably put them above us.

A paranoid North supporter would definitely see this as part of an AFL master plan for relocation. The AFL draw is one of the most corrupt instutions in world sport.

• Like 1

I'm massively concerned.

Our engine room is still third world other than the injection of some babies and has beens. I'm expecting Nate Jones to be Nate Jones and have another strong year but other than that here is hoping. From the kids (Viney, Toumpas etc) I just want 15 - 20 games of good solid footy with maybe the odd touch of brilliance to keep our mouths watering for years to come. Let's not place ridiculous expectations on these kids like we have in the past.

Looking over our list we may look stronger up forward and down back but it's always won in the engine room. And for those who think we will beat the franchise teams, don't be so confident. They will improve at a faster rate than us I believe (although I honestly believe we will still take them this year).

Comparing midfields of the teams we will challenge this year:

Gold Coast - Ablett, Swallow, Prestia & Bennel. Add in the baby O'Meara and I would have that midfield any day of the week over ours.

GWS - Greene, Ward, Scully, Treloar, Coniglio and add in Whitfield and O'Rourke as first year players that match our Toumpas & Viney. I think we will compete well here.

Dogs - Boyd, Griffen, Cooney and Cross is getting older but still would eat our pups alive. Throw in there father sons and the two first rounders and they have us.

As for Port we mach up well although Wines will have a more instant impact then our babies. Saw him a couple weeks ago and he has gone from a big boy to looking like he is carved from stone (I believe Viney & Toumpas will be better long term).

I think Viney will have a much bigger impact this year than Wines. Harder, faster and better kick.

• Like 1

The only thing preventing Viney from winning the Rising Star this year will be injury ... or suspension.

He'll probably average 22 disposals (most of which will be contested) and 6 or so tackles each week.

I will be over the moon if he can get anywhere close to that.

Toumpas will be the best of the three long term, you can just see it, but Wines will have both our lads covered this year I suspect. He went toe to toe with the Eagles midfield and held his own, equalling the most number of clearances (5, equal with Boak). That is following his 10 clearances against us. He looks like a third year player and his impact on that side will be immediate and significant.

Viney v Wines alone will be worth watching.