5th in kicks

5th in handballs

5th in handballs received

2nd in tackles

2nd in inside 50's

2nd in hard ball gets

Kicked 25 goals

Played in 19 games

2012 he had a severe back injury just prior to the season which limited him in a lot of ways....Plus playing in a sub standard mid field with a new game plan.......Cut him some slack....

I am harder on Sylvia than any other footballer on our list - simple reason - he has all the attributes to be a top 10 player in the league - all except the most important one - attitude. Its all upstairs with him. He may well look back on his career and think what could have been. He is another Travis Johnstone - promised so much but delivered in occasional bursts of brilliance.

• Like 1

What will be will be.

I have heard from the coach that Sylvia is a commited Demon.

i think that if he has a good year and the team improves he will stay.

If he has another ordinary year , and teams performs poorly, theres a chance he will go.

Edited by DeeZee

"if he has a good year" ?? How many years are we going to have to hear this?

Rivers left for less money because he will show the real talent he has at Geelong and chase that flag. I could not knock him for one bit and I would rather watch a highly skilled backman like Rivers play at Geelong than watch another year of Sylvia float on by.

Yes I watch other teams play, it isn't a crime. Gosh even Stef Martin showed glimpses of his skills in that final against Carlton, let alone Moloney. You could even tell Moloney was biting his tongue in that interview after the game when they asked questions like:

"Your first piece of Silverware, were you happy with the win?" and

"How do you have such a good rapport with the other midfielders after such a short time?" (Hmmm I wonder. No brainer there)

For whoever was a bit slow in catching onto the "Blind Freddy" quote. It is because Brock McLean is playing like the classy midfielder he is at Carlton, even after all the injury troubles he had (which is never an excuse in AFL footy, sorry)

• Like 1

I'm waiting for Jnr to splutter his thread ending crap of Sylvia and very surprised he wasn't first in but I can only ever ask myself why everyone is so certain Sylvia will walk out as soon as his contract is up?! He's never held us to ransom come contract time in the past, never come out in public and criticized even though he's been punished and watched teammates thrown out the door. There is nothing that proves or disproves he doesn't bleed red and blue and wants to be a life player?

never held us to ramsom ?? really

what team have you been following the last decade ?

Probably the most underachieving player on our list in the last 20 years

FA ?

bye

People need to let go of the fantasy he can be a star. But he is already a very serviceable player.

Last year, he came back from a broken back in pre season and after the bye, went on to average 23 disposals and a goal a game, and we know he uses it well. Hardly the dud he gets painted as.

• Like 4

I don't think he is a bad player at all - I actually think he has the potential to be a gun but he just doesn't do it and surely after 10 years he's had enough chances, so I wouldn't be overly fussed if he went.

I agree that he has great potential, & I would rather he realise it somewhere, than not.

But only if he wants to go, & if so he should help us back.

I reckon there would be many top 8 teams vying for a shot at the premiership, that would love a skilled long kicking, goal kicking Mid.

never held us to ramsom ?? really

what team have you been following the last decade ?

Probably the most underachieving player on our list in the last 20 years

FA ?

bye

Underachieving.. Morton was a pick 3, he played 2 good games.. How many good picks have left us because they've failed or not been good enough. Sylvia only looks like he's underachieved because everyone around him has been so disappointing, when he plays well we win generally, in good teams when players have an off game their team covers them.. He's never had that player at Melbourne.

You can come at me with all your never been in top 5 in the BNF, but I counter it with the fact he's never played a full season in 10 years. It was easy for Geelong to let go off Steve Johnson when he was difficult and inconsistent but good clubs work with their players to help them be consistent, not waste them.

We can dance around how much of a waste Sylvia's been but when the writings on the wall MFC is to blame for failing to crack the whip when he needed it.

Edited by Demon Land 7
  • Like 1

many here didnt really expect Morton to really be that much chop...he wasnt.

Sylvia has been lauded as the great whote hope for years and years now. Look up potential in the Websters and theres a picture of Colin !!

He teases with his undoubted talent, often towards a contract signing then falls away.

Many a scribe agree he is a prodigious talent , but one thats never really stepped up to where he ought to be.

I am now firmly in the camp that thinks he never will. If he wants to walk at seasons end by all means. iN fact tel lus now and we can play someone else whos actually more interested.Be doing all a big favour and would actually be his single greatest contribution to the club.

Hes a show pony thats never developed into the real player he ought to have.

FFS hes been at the club an eternity and some still talk of him as "potential" etc etc

wake up folks

• Like 2

My suspicion is that Sylvia is like the bright kid at school who only achieves when he's pushed by his teachers. Until Neeld came along, I don't think the coaching style sufficiently pressured him to achieve. He got by on innate ability but didn't push himself hard enough. With a coach who can push him to get the best out of himself, I suspect we'd see a different player. I hope Neeld is that coach.

And I suspect you could replace "Sylvia" with "Travis Johnstone" and the above still stands.

• Like 1

many here didnt really expect Morton to really be that much chop...he wasnt.

Sylvia has been lauded as the great whote hope for years and years now. Look up potential in the Websters and theres a picture of Colin !!

He teases with his undoubted talent, often towards a contract signing then falls away.

Many a scribe agree he is a prodigious talent , but one thats never really stepped up to where he ought to be.

I am now firmly in the camp that thinks he never will. If he wants to walk at seasons end by all means. iN fact tel lus now and we can play someone else whos actually more interested.Be doing all a big favour and would actually be his single greatest contribution to the club.

Hes a show pony thats never developed into the real player he ought to have.

FFS hes been at the club an eternity and some still talk of him as "potential" etc etc

wake up folks

Sorry bub, you have a dig at people going on about his potential after 3 paragraphs of doing the exact same thing yourself. Sylvia is what he is, and while he isn't the star we hoped he might become, he is still a very serviceable player, but unfortunately he could do everything bar win a brownlow and most on here wouldn't be happy.

• Like 1

However it plays out I expect to AGAIN be disillusioned and depressed with our status in the competition and with human nature in general.

You would think Chris Judd would come to captain his boyhood side.

You would think Tom Scully wouldn't sell out behind closed doors right after being drafted.

You would think one of the most naturally brilliant players you have ever seen wouldn't suddenly disappear after a series of tribal criminal incidents.

You would think a number 4 pick who had an impressive first 2 years wouldn't become totally useless and go to West Coast for nothing

You would think a BnF winner who has been MFC his whole life wouldn't turn to s--t and then leave the club.

You would think a young ruckman with options might join his brother in a supposedly emerging side.

You would think a number 3 pick who has not delivered would not clear off after finally coming good in his 10th season.

You would think.

• Like 1

Sorry bub, you have a dig at people going on about his potential after 3 paragraphs of doing the exact same thing yourself. Sylvia is what he is, and while he isn't the star we hoped he might become, he is still a very serviceable player, but unfortunately he could do everything bar win a brownlow and most on here wouldn't be happy.

i couldn't give a dingoes about the Brownlow, but a B & F should have been won multiple times. He has the talent but not the drive.
  • Like 1

After giving it some thought, I actually think FA can benefit clubs like ours if we do it smartly. Sure, we may lose some players but we can also pick up quality older players as a stop gap for a couple of years which could really help our competitiveness until our young stars are ready.

If we can go out and get ourselves a couple of good older mids who may be chasing a little extra coin in their twilight we can start to see improvements in our midfield. More wins will equal more members which we badly need.

• Like 3

i couldn't give a dingoes about the Brownlow, but a B & F should have been won multiple times. He has the talent but not the drive.

The most games in a year he's ever played is 19.. The year when he came 6th in the BNF, a matter of points of 4th with 3 less games, and also the year where Moloney was a clear clear standout. Other than that he has played only 15, 16 or 17 games and once with 18. When a club BNF is voted like MFCs where you're given votes 22 down to 1 based on who was best to worst on ground missing 3 games like he did in 2011 sacrifices 66! Votes. When he's missed 6,7 games he's sacrificed over 100-150 votes, of course he won't win the award.

It's all well and good to run off your mouth and say his talent should've won one, I agree but you're flatly ignoring facts to make your point and it's not good enough.

• Like 1

The most games in a year he's ever played is 19.. The year when he came 6th in the BNF, a matter of points of 4th with 3 less games, and also the year where Moloney was a clear clear standout. Other than that he has played only 15, 16 or 17 games and once with 18. When a club BNF is voted like MFCs where you're given votes 22 down to 1 based on who was best to worst on ground missing 3 games like he did in 2011 sacrifices 66! Votes. When he's missed 6,7 games he's sacrificed over 100-150 votes, of course he won't win the award.

It's all well and good to run off your mouth and say his talent should've won one, I agree but you're flatly ignoring facts to make your point and it's not good enough.

No. You are making excuses to a player who has not pushed himself.

What is not good enough is the standard of football the MFC has played since i was in primary school.

People need to let go of the fantasy he can be a star. But he is already a very serviceable player.

Last year, he came back from a broken back in pre season and after the bye, went on to average 23 disposals and a goal a game, and we know he uses it well. Hardly the dud he gets painted as.

Neeld seemed happy with Col towards the end of last year. If he picks up from where he left off last year and averages the stats above over the course of a season all will be happy.

I think he has already shown consistency, just has to repeat.

He was on the right path and after an almost injury free pre-season will be better still

I don't know the exact salary figures all our players are on. But we have plenty of other players who are playing to the same ability as Col, not because they are as skillful as Col, but they put a far better effort in.

So I can't see why we would clog up a huge part of our Salary cap, when we can free it up for a much more skillful player who is far more ahead in his development then Col after 10 years. Plus he can have leadership skills to really teach these new boys we have just picked up, how it is done.

Sorry but Melbourne's midfield is one of the worst in the competition. I can't go another year watching high draft picks go nowhere.

Funny part is, I keep sensing this is Neeld's long term plan for us.

I don't know the exact salary figures all our players are on. But we have plenty of other players who are playing to the same ability as Col, not because they are as skillful as Col, but they put a far better effort in.

So I can't see why we would clog up a huge part of our Salary cap, when we can free it up for a much more skillful player who is far more ahead in his development then Col after 10 years. Plus he can have leadership skills to really teach these new boys we have just picked up, how it is done.

Sorry but Melbourne's midfield is one of the worst in the competition. I can't go another year watching high draft picks go nowhere.

Funny part is, I keep sensing this is Neeld's long term plan for us.

i am actually looking forward to Col's 2013 because he has to perform this year...after 9 years of people cutting him slack.

What position in the team or on the ground has Col nailed in the last 9 years?

We still don't know!!

The Club is as much at fault as the player

So it comes down to 12 months.

• Like 1

I don't have the stats to hand about games played for Bluey votes but I would bet London to a brick that a number of other players have featured in the top 5 of the b&f and played 16 games or less over the past 10 years.

What you aren't giving credence to is the coaching staff ask players to do certain tasks and jobs. The votes they get reflect that. Col clearly doesn't do the stuff he is supposed to (like 2nd and 3rd efforts). His votes would reflect that.

So your conclusion about number of games doesn't hold water for me.

Edit: 2008 McLean came 2nd in the Bluey having played 14 games. Snap.

Edited by jnrmac
  • Like 2

Which bit have you missed ??

Im simply noting the amount of emphasis many have made of his potential. I dont hink he has. If he had we might have seen it by now. All we have seen is momentary glimpses.

He is without doubt talented, but he hasnt the mongrel of attitude to actually use it.

Servicable....questionable. Hes like a crappy hot water service.... hot and cold

edit...potential is dif from talent.

Edited by belzebub59

Which bit have you missed ??

Im simply noting the amount of emphasis many have made of his potential. I dont hink he has. If he had we might have seen it by now. All we have seen is momentary glimpses.

He is without doubt talented, but he hasnt the mongrel of attitude to actually use it.

Servicable....questionable. Hes like a crappy hot water service.... hot and cold

edit...potential is dif from talent.

My point is that Sylvia gets judged far more harshly than others due to this perceived talent or potential, whatever you want to call it. And although Sylvia has some good traits as a footballer, he is also lacking in other areas that will hold him back from reaching the great heights many want him to, that being things such as his agility and sideways movement, speed, and the high level endurance required to play as an A-grade midfielder. Whether these things are in his control, we can't judge from where we are.

Sylvia had a good second half of last year, and was actually quite consistent, but most of Demonland were unable to judge without bias and continue to bang on about his unfulfilled potential and apparent poor attitude. As I said he averaged 23 disposals and a goal a game, with good disposal efficiency. Any of our mids, beside Nathan Jones, can't stack up to that. To say that his serviceability is questionable is so far wide of the mark it isn't funny, but that thought seems to be the majority thought around these forums.

• Like 1

My point is that Sylvia gets judged far more harshly than others due to this perceived talent or potential, whatever you want to call it. And although Sylvia has some good traits as a footballer, he is also lacking in other areas that will hold him back from reaching the great heights many want him to, that being things such as his agility and sideways movement, speed, and the high level endurance required to play as an A-grade midfielder. Whether these things are in his control, we can't judge from where we are.

Sylvia had a good second half of last year, and was actually quite consistent, but most of Demonland were unable to judge without bias and continue to bang on about his unfulfilled potential and apparent poor attitude. As I said he averaged 23 disposals and a goal a game, with good disposal efficiency. Any of our mids, beside Nathan Jones, can't stack up to that. To say that his serviceability is questionable is so far wide of the mark it isn't funny, but that thought seems to be the majority thought around these forums.

FD he has been an average footballer in a p--- weak team for the last five years.

What you see is what you get.

Average