Team for Round 1

GawnWithTheWind

Jordie has some glaring deficiencies but his stopping and tackling are in the elite category.

This really grinds my gears, elite is getting thrown around too much these days. Could we just say he has good stopping and tackling? And we can start calling our players elite once we start winning games?.

There was an article in the... herald maybe? that gave elite players from each club and worst players from each club, and as much as i disagree with the idea of doing the article before the season has started, they put Jack Grimes as our only elite player. I mean he's good but not elite. The old counting chickens... something to do with hatching theory.

Sellar is a much better player than Pedersen ( as is /was Martin for that matter ) Cannot for the life of me understand why we went so hard for him. Happy to be proven wrong, just don't think I will be.

On what evidence.

Frankly all three are coming from a very low formline and little exposure.

Sellar struggles forward - last week notwithstanding - he does not look settled when asked to work with Clark. He was fantastic in defence against Ess last year. He has little experience in the ruck.

Martin was moved for off-field distractions and he was moved on for the pick that got Matt Jones. He was moved out rather than lost. He can play ruck but not forward - a back up ruck needs to play forward for at least an hour a game.

Pedersen was chased on little formline but it is easy to see why - he uses his body well, and has the ability to play a lead up forward role and give Jamar a breather in the ruck.

None are world beaters and all are role players but for the role we want - a back up ruck - I think that Pedersen will do it best of all three, and that Sellar will find a place in defence.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

On what evidence.

Sellar struggles forward - last week notwithstanding - he does not look settled when asked to work with Clark. He was fantastic in defence against Ess last year. He has little experience in the ruck.

Martin was moved for off-field distractions and he was moved on for the pick that got Matt Jones. He was moved out rather than lost. He can play ruck but not forward - a back up ruck needs to play forward for at least an hour a game.

Pedersen was chased on little formline but it is easy to see why - he uses his body well, and has the ability to play a lead up forward role and give Jamar a breather in the ruck.

None are world beaters and all are role players but for the role we want - a back up ruck - I think that Pedersen will do it best of all three, and that Sellar will find a place in defence.

What were the offield distractions you speak about RP?

I'm also please to hear you say that the back up ruck should be able to play forward. A lot of people talk about a tall defender being the back up ruck, I don't think you can afford this. A "resting ruck" plays forward, so that would mean if we are getting our back up ruck from the backline, that we would need one of our tall forwards to take that spot until the resting (forward) ruck goes back in.

On what evidence.

I think Sellar is a better bet in the ruck than Pedersen, he was used in that role at times last year, at Adelaide and in the SANFL so he has had plenty of ruck experience and the height to compete.

...but as the role would be primarily as a forward you are right to point out with the exception of last week he hasn't shown a lot to date and has been better settled in defence. The next couple of trial games will be show the way.

What were the offield distractions you speak about RP?

I'm also please to hear you say that the back up ruck should be able to play forward. A lot of people talk about a tall defender being the back up ruck, I don't think you can afford this. A "resting ruck" plays forward, so that would mean if we are getting our back up ruck from the backline, that we would need one of our tall forwards to take that spot until the resting (forward) ruck goes back in.

Every time someone alludes to Martin's issues it is removed - he had girl troubles. That'll do.

And yes, the back up ruck is really a forward who can help Jamar. There is no allowance for an actual 'bench ruck' anymore. I haven't thought about how the cap rule may change this form 2014 onward but run is needed and rucks provide little - you have to be able to do something else. And as you say - you can't just pull a key defender out of defence whenever you ruck needs a breather, it creates problems.

• Like 1

FB: Watts, Frawley, Jetta

CHB: Grimes, McDonald, Strauss

C: Blease, Jones, Rodan

CHF: Howe, Dawes, Byrnes

FF: Davey, Clark, Pedersen

FOLL: Jamar, McKenzie, Viney

INT: Toumpas, Evans, Kent

SUB: Sylvia

EMER: Tapscott, Sellar, Nicholson

I'm working on the basis that Blease and Clark will be right and Trengove will take a little longer.

Grimes for me is better back than on the ball. I've hoped that he'd be able to become an A-/B+ midfielder to add to our rotation but I'm not sure he'll get there. Down back though he reads the play well, is brave third up and usually makes good decisions. I'm going to hang tough with Pederson. Someone on Demonland has to. I think he'll imporove. Sylvia is lucky to make the team. I'd make a statement to him first up and let him no he's a borderline selection in the eyes of the footy Dept right now. I'm giving Davey a chance to prove he's still up to it but I'm not convinced. I've lost patience with Garland and I'm not a fan of Dunn. I quite like my back six. It's versatile and possesses two elite kickers (Watts and Strauss) and one who's pretty good (Grimes). It also has the potential to offer some quality rebound. If Clark gets up, our forward 6 looks well balanced and extremely potent particularly if Byrnes and Davey fire. The young guns (Viney, Toumpas and Kent) all get a chance in my round 1 team. They're the future and their pre-season form (thus far) warrants selection. I'm also an Evans fan and have him ahead of Magner, Couch, Jones and the injured Bail. Nicholson is unlucky and Terlich will no doubt be given chances sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

Every time someone alludes to Martin's issues it is removed - he had girl troubles. That'll do.

And yes, the back up ruck is really a forward who can help Jamar. There is no allowance for an actual 'bench ruck' anymore. I haven't thought about how the cap rule may change this form 2014 onward but run is needed and rucks provide little - you have to be able to do something else. And as you say - you can't just pull a key defender out of defence whenever you ruck needs a breather, it creates problems.

Wow, we're having a conversation, I'm worried.

Didn't know anything about Martin's story.

The interchange cap may see a left field decision to have a ruckman as a sub. Not sure what the exact quote is and who said it, but the words about how late in the game, the big guys don't get any smaller, it could be something to consider as the AFL try and slow the game down. It could be a player like Fitzy that benefits from this, someone who is tall, can play ruck, has a big motor and can kick goals. He comes on early in the 3rd quarter when his opponents are slowing down and becomes our main ruck with Jamar playing forward/pinch ruck.

• Like 1

The interchange cap may see a left field decision to have a ruckman as a sub. Not sure what the exact quote is and who said it, but the words about how late in the game, the big guys don't get any smaller, it could be something to consider as the AFL try and slow the game down. It could be a player like Fitzy that benefits from this, someone who is tall, can play ruck, has a big motor and can kick goals. He comes on early in the 3rd quarter when his opponents are slowing down and becomes our main ruck with Jamar playing forward/pinch ruck.

Big guys don't get any faster either. If you use the spare ruckman as the sub, then you're sacrificing late game run, which I'd have thought was far more critical than extra height, especially late in the game. I've always held the view that the sub has to be a runner and not a tall and the new rules only exacerbate that IMO.

I agree with rpfc in that second ruck these days means a forward who can spend five minutes in the ruck.

• Like 1

Backs:Jetta, Frawley, Garland

Half Backs: Dunn, T-Mac, Watts

Centres: Grimes, Sylvia, Terlich

Half Forw: Blease, Dawes, Howe

Forwards: Pederson, Clark, Byrnes

Rucks: Jamar, Jones, Rodan

Interchange: Viney, Trengove, M Jones

Sub: Toumpas

Emergencies: McKenzie, Sellar, Tapscott

Assumption that Clark, Trengove and Blease are fit.

People should ignore that 5 of our back 6 are over 190cm. I think it is very flexible with Watts and Dunn able to play on talls and smalls and good ball users.

I dont rate McKenzie or Nicholson but accept at least Jordie will play.

I expect this to change again after tomorrow as its fair to say aside from the usual suspects and maybe Jetta no one I think has cemented a spot based on NAB cup form that was not already starting 18 last year.

Updated based on the StKilda game

In Terlich; M Jones

Out Evans Magner

Edited by big_red_fire_engine
  • Like 2

Centres: Grimes, Sylvia, Toumpas

Interchange: Viney, Trengove, Magner

Sub: Evans

Emergencies: McKenzie, Sellar, Nicholson

People should ignore that 5 of our back 6 are over 190cm. I think it is very flexible with Watts and Dunn able to play on talls and smalls and good ball users.

I expect this to change again after tomorrow as its fair to say aside from the usual suspects and maybe Jetta no one I think has cemented a spot based on NAB cup form that was not already starting 18 last year.

Like it, Red.

Would love to see Strauss secure a spot in the back line earlier rather than later. His kicking is such an advantage in the back 6.

• Like 2

I like the rationale for both teams selected above but I like Dunn in the team and I suspect that Clark and Trengove will both be ready before Blease when Round 1 comes around. If he is ready though I would like him in the team. Nice however that we have difficulty in deciding who we have to omit rather than who is good enough to step up from Casey! (Also I prefer Pedersen ahead of Pederson and would like to have another look at Sellar this weekend.)

I may be shot down for this but I think we should play James Strauss on a wing. I don't think his defensive capabilities suit a role in the backline as yet but his kicking is such a major weapon and even if he may make a mistake at least it's going into our forward line instead of the defensive 50. It would encourage him to run both ways and I think he is capable of kicking goals from outside 50 which is something we have struggled with at times except for Lynden Dunn,

• Like 1

Based on the pre-season games Ive seen so far:

B: Jetta Frawley Garland

HB: Watts McDonald Dunn

C: Grimes Magner Blease

HF: Rodan Dawes Byrnes

F: Howe Sellar Viney

Foll: Jamar N Jones McKenzie

I/C: Gillies, M Jones, Kent

Em: Strauss, Nicholson, Davey

Assumes that Blease and McDonald are passed fit

but Trengove and Clark are not.

Getting closer to a round 1 line-up after 3 games:

Watts Frawley Dunn

Grimes McDonald Garland

Rodan Viney Sylvia

Kent Pedersen Howe

Sellar Dawes Byrnes

Jamar N Jones McKenzie

I/C Jetta Terlich Toumpas Sub: M Jones

If fit: replace Kent with Blease, M Jones with Trengove and Pedersen with Clark, or not fit: McDonald with Gillies

Not keen on dud disposal hence the omission of Magner, Nicho, Joel Mac, Evans

Not sold on Grimes in the middle

Believe Terlich has earned a spot and Jetta can play back, forward or the middle

Strauss and Tapscott haven't played enough or done enough

• Like 1

B: Terlich Frawley Gillies

HB: Jetta McDonald Dunn

C: Grimes N. Jones Blease

HF: Sylvia Clark Howe

F: Byrnes Dawes Sellar

Foll: Jamar Trengove Viney

I/C: M. Jones, Kent, Rodan

Em: Strauss, Tapscott, Watts

Not what will happen, but what my team would be if everyone was fit.

EDIT: I forgot Sylvia.

Predicted side:

B: Terlich Frawley Watts

C: Grimes N. Jones Sylvia

HF: Blease Clark Howe

I/C: McKenzie, Kent, Rodan

Em: Pedersen, Tapscott, Gillies

Assuming Blease, Clark and Toumpas all come up, which I acknowledge is unlikely.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Far better than anything we've seen so far from PEdErsEn, Sellar or Gillies. Or for that matter Dawes.One of those four had better improve heaps at some stage in the season.

Akum, Im not having a go but I think you're plain wrong. Had a couple of good games followed by many, many unco games. That's not far better than Sellar for starters and the others would just need to take the field for the rest to be wrong.

I'm surprised to see Jetta in a few of these teams. He wouldn't be in mine. Anyone care to make the case for his inclusion?

1) Finally has had his first preseason and is fit(ter) and to me looks a bit faster

2) Can kick (and tackle) and has footy smarts

3) Can play forward, back or middle

He's fighting for a spot with Nicho, who IMO cant kick and turns the ball over.

I like Nicho's run and carry, he's hard at it, runs all day and never gives up.

I'm even expecting Nicho to be in the side, but I think Jetta (if he gets a sniff) will be far more damaging with the pill

For me Toumpas has not done nearly enough for round 1 Kent is ahead of him so he is my sub. Toumpas to start in VFl and actually earn a game getting few BOG for Casey.Games should not be given just because he is number 4 pick.

Sellar over Pederson at the momment. Pederson also to play for Casey.

Matt Jones and Terlich and also Magner very close would have them as emergencies .

Garland Frawley Nicholson

Watts T Mcdonald Dunn

Trengrove Jones Blease

Howe Dawes Sylvia

Byrnes Clark Sellar

Jamar Grimes Mckenzie

Evans Viney Rodan Sub Kent

Centres: Grimes, Sylvia, Toumpas

Interchange: Viney, Trengove, Magner

Sub: Evans

Emergencies: McKenzie, Sellar, Nicholson

You dont rate Nicholson? WOW

He is ultra competitive one on one. Does not get beaten to often. Plays tight

Has expolsive pace good run and carry . Kicking is above average. Your reason is??

Mckenzie is in and under doing the hard thing, great tackler good tagger and yes his kicking is not great but he gives 100% every time. You need players like this

1) Finally has had his first preseason and is fit(ter) and to me looks a bit faster

2) Can kick (and tackle) and has footy smarts

3) Can play forward, back or middle

He's fighting for a spot with Nicho, who IMO cant kick and turns the ball over.

I like Nicho's run and carry, he's hard at it, runs all day and never gives up.

I'm even expecting Nicho to be in the side, but I think Jetta (if he gets a sniff) will be far more damaging with the pill

I'm glad to hear he had a good preseason. It sounded like he played well in Renmark but he struggled in week 1 and he didn't play yesterday. Now he's 23 and in his fifth year, he needs to start producing. We simply can't afford too many players who can't get more than 15 possessions on a regular basis. I really hope that he starts to find the footy.

Where's his best position? I'd love to know where he fits into MN's thoughts.

I'm surprised to see Jetta in a few of these teams. He wouldn't be in mine. Anyone care to make the case for his inclusion?

If you'd seen any preseason training or practice matches you wouldn't be asking the question.

I'd bet my house on the fact that Neeld will have in the team for round 1.

B: Terlich Frawley Gillies
C: Grimes N. Jones Blease
HF: Kent Clark Howe
I/C: McKenzie, M Jones, Rodan
Em: Strauss, Tapscott, Watts
Not what will happen, but what my team would be if everyone was fit.

Terlich and Gillies ahead of Watts, and you accuse everyone else of being "footy dumb"...

• Like 2