Team for Round 1

GawnWithTheWind

Because he was a dreadful footballer.

Far better than anything we've seen so far from PEdErsEn, Sellar or Gillies. Or for that matter Dawes.

One of those four had better improve heaps at some stage in the season.

• Like 1

Far better than anything we've seen so far from PEdErsEn, Sellar or Gillies. Or for that matter Dawes.One of those four had better improve heaps at some stage in the season.

Not very constructive to compare players that have been at the club for six months compared to a player who did nothing in six years.

• Like 1

Far better than anything we've seen so far from PEdErsEn, Sellar or Gillies. Or for that matter Dawes.

One of those four had better improve heaps at some stage in the season.

Interesting comments - Dawes took a juggling mark and hit up Howe on the lead in game 1 on the weekend - fair to say it's more then I've seen Martin do over his time at the Dees.

Also his contest 1 v 3 which resulted in Sylvia offloading the ball to Howe wasn't bad either.

Some people are not easily impressed I assume

• Like 3

Interesting comments - Dawes took a juggling mark and hit up Howe on the lead in game 1 on the weekend - fair to say it's more then I've seen Martin do over his time at the Dees.

Also his contest 1 v 3 which resulted in Sylvia offloading the ball to Howe wasn't bad either.

Some people are not easily impressed I assume

Yep agreed. I think although Dawes didn't get much of the footy, he did impact the contest enough to show some help. Wasn't a terrible game for him.

As for Martin, Athletic yes.... Smart and talented............. Jury is out. Every time he played on and tried to kick around the man on the mark may result in less years of my life.

Yep agreed. I think although Dawes didn't get much of the footy, he did impact the contest enough to show some help. Wasn't a terrible game for him.

As for Martin, Athletic yes.... Smart and talented............. Jury is out. Every time he played on and tried to kick around the man on the mark may result in less years of my life.

If there was a stat for juggling marks, Martin would lead the league. Does it every game. I watched him in the Brisbane game, He was 40 metres from goal, nudged his opponent under the ball beautifully, stretched out his arms for a standard mark, then juggled it, brought it to ground, chased it well, but ended up losing posession.

He is a tease, an almost forward who frustrates because he has great attributes.

Still reckon he was our only 2nd ruckman, so not sure why we let him go.

• Like 1

If there was a stat for juggling marks, Martin would lead the league. Does it every game. I watched him in the Brisbane game, He was 40 metres from goal, nudged his opponent under the ball beautifully, stretched out his arms for a standard mark, then juggled it, brought it to ground, chased it well, but ended up losing posession.

He is a tease, an almost forward who frustrates because he has great attributes.

Still reckon he was our only 2nd ruckman, so not sure why we let him go.

That sums him up perfectly.

I am beginning to think that Fitzpatrick would be a better option than Pedersen for round 1. I remain unconvinced and unimpressed with Pedersen's vigour and ability to actually get the pill. Fitzy is quick, has a very strong set of hands, and gets to a lot of contests.

When Mitch Clark comes in, I am unsure if Neeld will play 3 talls plus Howe, but he said at the AGM that Daws, Rodan, Byrnes and Pedersen were brought to the club to play and are likely starters.

I will go for 5 main forwards, 7 'set' defenders, Jamar, and 9 players to run through the middle/forward.

FWDS: Dawes, Byrnes, Howe, Pedersen and Spencer (backup ruck).

DEF: Frawley, McDonald, Garland, Nicholson, Watts, Jetta, and Dunn

MIDS: N.Jones, Grimes, Viney, McKenzie, Sylvia, Rodan, Evans, M.Jones, and Toumpas (SUB).

RUCK: Jamar

Dawes and Pedersen will be FF and CHF respectively and Spencer should spend most of his time down forward. It's not ideal but I need Pedersen to provide a target and not worry about rucking while Clark is out. Byrnes should not leave the front half of the ground IMO.

The backline has a pretty settled 6 as far as I can see and I have added Jetta because I like what he brings to thee backline with his Whelan-like hardness.

The midfield is as experienced as I can get it and I hope that Evans and Jones 'come on' quick - it's a very shallow midfield and will be found out when Jones, Grimes, McKenzie and Rodan are not in the stoppages.

This is a very inexperienced team and in terms of 'weak links' I can see issues with Pedersen and Spencer in the forward line, general kicking, Jetta and Dunn in the backline, and Viney, Toumpas, Evans, Jones and the efforts of Sylvia in the guts.

The midfield is where you turn or burn and our third best mid is Jack Viney. That tells you everything.

Long, but hopefully fun, year ahead.

• Like 2

jumbo returns, on 26 Feb 2013 - 06:54, said:

Not very constructive to compare players that have been at the club for six months compared to a player who did nothing in six years.

But it's not like these players don't have a history elsewhere. Pedersen, Gillies & Sellar were fringe players at other clubs. And you've got to be concerned at Pedersen's & Gillies' poor positioning, use of body etc, in marking contests. And they did nothing in ruck contests, which was one reason we brought in Pedersen & Sellar. Everybody's entitled to an off game, but they'd have to improve heaps on that performance to be useful contributors.

I thought it was glaringly obvious why they were fringe players, and maybe we can't expect more from them. But that's another issue.

I like Dawes, he's intelligent & strong & direct & runs to good places & brings others into the game. But my concern with him is that his thumb injury seems to make it very difficult for him to take the one-grab overhead marks he was known for in his good year. He got his hands on a lot but couldn't hold them - even the one mark he took and moved it on to Howe, he had to juggle. That's going to limit his effectiveness if it doesn't improve.

Just saying that the signs weren't good.

Too many talls in the backline for my liking, really excited to see this team when they have played together abit and you throw trengove and clark back into it :D

I'll say again....22FEB 2013 in a crap three way mickey mouse 1st round NAB cup........And some people can judge players careers after this ONE match.....Geeeez....

• Like 1

But it's not like these players don't have a history elsewhere. Pedersen, Gillies & Sellar were fringe players at other clubs. And you've got to be concerned at Pedersen's & Gillies' poor positioning, use of body etc, in marking contests. And they did nothing in ruck contests, which was one reason we brought in Pedersen & Sellar. Everybody's entitled to an off game, but they'd have to improve heaps on that performance to be useful contributors.

I thought it was glaringly obvious why they were fringe players, and maybe we can't expect more from them. But that's another issue.

I like Dawes, he's intelligent & strong & direct & runs to good places & brings others into the game. But my concern with him is that his thumb injury seems to make it very difficult for him to take the one-grab overhead marks he was known for in his good year. He got his hands on a lot but couldn't hold them - even the one mark he took and moved it on to Howe, he had to juggle. That's going to limit his effectiveness if it doesn't improve.

Just saying that the signs weren't good.

Completely concur and I know what you're saying.

But, just in relation to Martin, he was never going to be the answer. Let's hope that all the new boys thrive in their new environs.

Completely concur and I know what you're saying.

But, just in relation to Martin, he was never going to be the answer. Let's hope that all the new boys thrive in their new environs.

Agree about Martin. Even if he ends up doing really well at Brisbane, he still had to go.

• 2 weeks later...

FB: Jetta, Frawley, Dunn

HB: Strauss, McDonald, Watts

C: Grimes, Jones, Barry

HF: Sylvia, Dawes, Byrnes

FF: Howe, Sellar, Davey

R: Jamar, Viney, Rodan

Int: Magner, Kent, Toumpas

Sub: Tapscott

Emerg: Evans, Spencer, Tynan

I would like to see how the team fared any better/worse without McKenzie

Magner was impressive against Port & could possibly replace Moloney's position until Viney fully matures

Tapscott needs to start showing something

Sellar over Pederson as Sellar has shown something where as Pederson has shown donuts.

Barry to play on the wing until Blease is fit

The question for the club is how many underdone players can they play in Round 1. To me if Clark is right he plays regardless, with him out there it will mean Port's defense will be stretched and all of the sudden Howe and Pederson or Sellar get the third fourth defender. Trengove and Blease unless they can get a game in for Casey in our week off shouldn't be considered.

In the grand tradition of Pettard, Trengrove, Sellers and Maloney, it looks like poor old Cam PEDERSEN will be the name everyone spells wrong this year.

The only vowel in his surname is "E"!

Who cares?

FB: Jetta, Frawley, Dunn

HB: Strauss, McDonald, Watts

C: Grimes, Jones, Barry

HF: Sylvia, Dawes, Byrnes

FF: Howe, Sellar, Davey

Sub: Tapscott

I would like to see how the team fared any better/worse without McKenzie

Magner was impressive against Port & could possibly replace Moloney's position until Viney fully matures

Tapscott needs to start showing something

Sellar over Pederson as Sellar has shown something where as Pederson has shown donuts.

Barry to play on the wing until Blease is fit

Sellar is a much better player than Pedersen ( as is /was Martin for that matter ) Cannot for the life of me understand why we went so hard for him. Happy to be proven wrong, just don't think I will be.
  • Like 1

FB: Dunn, Frawley, Jetta

HB: Garland, McDonald, Watts

C: Grimes, Jones, Sylvia

HF: Howe, Clark, Sellar,

FF: Davey, Dawes, Byrnes

Sub: Tapscott/Strauss

• Like 1

It’s getting extremely difficult to pick a team for round 1. The possible return of injured players Trengove, Clark, Blease etc make it just that much harder. There’s going to be a lot of p155ed of players that arguably deserve a shot. Personally I blame Misson. It’s not too late. To maintain team cohesion we can't simply turn our heads and ignore the fact that we need more injuries.

• Like 1

It’s getting extremely difficult to pick a team for round 1. The possible return of injured players Trengove, Clark, Blease etc make it just that much harder. There’s going to be a lot of p155ed of players that arguably deserve a shot. Personally I blame Misson. It’s not too late. To maintain team cohesion we can't simply turn our heads and ignore the fact that we need more injuries.

24649201.jpg