NAB Cup Friday 22nd February, 2013 @ 6.30pm

Roger Mellie

If they could play him this year, they would.

Not sure why we are still on about this H_T

But that is why they have the rule.

I am more interested in seeing the likes of Tyan, Taggert, and Evans.

They are the hope for 2013

4 wins and 1 nab cup

Not sure there is a lot to consider there RM.

But I am nit picking.

I just believe we should not push the envelope with Hogan.

What's 4 wins and 1 nab cup got to do with taking unnecessary risks with players?

Yes - nit picking

IMHO it's more important to give him a taste of what he can look forward to in '14 - if he's ready!

Ready might mean a half or a quarter in a nab cup game or game time in a practise match.

He also might not be ready

Is he playing as a stand in for Mitch Clark in the extended/whole ground drills?

...but Melbourne haven't sought permission for Hogan (yet)?

The article says "Melbourne has asked permission for its mini-draft selection, key position prospect Jesse Hogan, to play in the NAB Cup."

DA is correct, we need to use the nab cup as practice for the guys who will play this year

Hoges can play practice matches at Casey and those who want can go and watch

Its irrelevant whether he is ready or not

With the first round of the NAB Cup a three x 20min games, it gives the chance for nearly the entire list to have a go.

The Suns played O'Meara last year against us. Why on earth would you not play Hogan, when the likes of Clark will be absent?

The kid is more than ready for a small stint in the NAB. Give him a taste when it means little, like the Suns did with Jäger.

• Like 2

Hogan won't be doing anything different to what he'd do in simulated match practice at our training sessions. The more opportunity he gets to play against good opposition, the better. He'll learn a fair bit. He's a big bloke already and he will probably relish the chance.

Heard a good saying about these type of games ... "Pre-season games don't count ... but they do matter." This will all be good for his long term development.

• Like 3

With the first round of the NAB Cup a three x 20min games, it gives the chance for nearly the entire list to have a go.

The Suns played O'Meara last year against us. Why on earth would you not play Hogan, when the likes of Clark will be absent?

The kid is more than ready for a small stint in the NAB. Give him a taste when it means little, like the Suns did with Jäger.

Hey like DA i'd love to watch the big fella too

But its not going to help 2013. We have 15 new fellas and we need every bit of practice match time to evaluate them

what other clubs did/do is irrelevant. we are supposed to be the new professional outfit

But i'm not gonna bust a boiler over it

• Like 1

Hey like DA i'd love to watch the big fella too

But its not going to help 2013. We have 15 new fellas and we need every bit of practice match time to evaluate them

what other clubs did/do is irrelevant. we are supposed to be the new professional outfit

But i'm not gonna bust a boiler over it

Well if I can't convince you, I'll just have to bribe you dc.

I understand the argument and need for 'practice' with the '13 crop. I just reckon they'll play him a little and give the fans a glimpse. And the fans hopefully won't be disappointed.

Don't bust a boiler; have a banana smoothie and think of the good times.

Article says he will be turning 18 tomorrow so wont be a 17 year old. I think the more important thing than age is body maturity, that he has. He will be playing with men this year, while it is not AFL the physical pressure on him will still be pretty fierce, in fact having less skilled opponents may result in them hitting him more frequently than in the AFL. I think it will be good for supporters to catch a glimpse of him and perhaps encourage a few more supporters to turn up to Casey games.

• Like 1

Well if I can't convince you, I'll just have to bribe you dc.

I understand the argument and need for 'practice' with the '13 crop. I just reckon they'll play him a little and give the fans a glimpse. And the fans hopefully won't be disappointed.

Don't bust a boiler; have a banana smoothie and think of the good times.

personally i think guys like Hogan should be able to apply for special dispensation from the AFL and get listed properly

he's only a couple of months younger than other draftees and obviously more physically advanced. Additionally i believe he has finished school (secondary)

i have no problem with him being as ready as any other draftee

But it ain't going to happen

Article says he will be turning 18 tomorrow so wont be a 17 year old. I think the more important thing than age is body maturity, that he has. He will be playing with men this year, while it is not AFL the physical pressure on him will still be pretty fierce, in fact having less skilled opponents may result in them hitting him more frequently than in the AFL. I think it will be good for supporters to catch a glimpse of him and perhaps encourage a few more supporters to turn up to Casey games.

In a couple of the photos the club put up on Facebook he appeared to be holding his ground well against Spencer.

Play him. I reckon he'll do well and leave us all with great expectations for 2014.

Whats with wrapping these kids in cotton wool?

100% glad they are playing him in NAB cup. You want them to play tough, treat em tough. It's really that simple.

Its got nothing to do with wrapping him in cotton wool. he is obviously ready to play with men

What it should be about is doing everything to ensure we get the right players ready for the 2013 season and with maximum opportunity before then

I'm well aware everyone wants to see him....me included....but is it the best strategy for 2013 round 1?

I think it would be better for Hogan to play in NAB cup for a few reasons

1. I think that being left out of the team would hurt his motivation as he would not feel as much as part of the team as everyone else. He may get that feeling you get when you do not get chosen for a school team, especially when Jack Martin is out their running around. We need this kid to feel at home and as important as every other player in the team.

2. It would be good for Hogan to be able to play against real AFL backmen. It would give him the experience and knowledge of the standard he needs to get to when preparing for the 2014 season. If he does not get the chance then he will only know what standard he needs to be to play against VFL backmen. I want this kid to push himself on the training track all year and the best way for him to know how hard to go is to play against seasoned AFL backmen.

3. From a marketing perspective I am sure their are alott of supporters out their eager to see how this kid goes, if he has a good game and does a few good thing it could mean a few memberships.

• Like 4

I think it would be better for Hogan to play in NAB cup for a few reasons

1. I think that being left out of the team would hurt his motivation as he would not feel as much as part of the team as everyone else. He may get that feeling you get when you do not get chosen for a school team, especially when Jack Martin is out their running around. We need this kid to feel at home and as important as every other player in the team.

2. It would be good for Hogan to be able to play against real AFL backmen. It would give him the experience and knowledge of the standard he needs to get to when preparing for the 2014 season. If he does not get the chance then he will only know what standard he needs to be to play against VFL backmen. I want this kid to push himself on the training track all year and the best way for him to know how hard to go is to play against seasoned AFL backmen.

3. From a marketing perspective I am sure their are alott of supporters out their eager to see how this kid goes, if he has a good game and does a few good thing it could mean a few memberships.

1. well he better get used to being left out of the team, because it going to happen for 22 rounds this year

2, FCS we are talking about NAB cup not real AFL

3. no doubt

personally i think guys like Hogan should be able to apply for special dispensation from the AFL and get listed properly

he's only a couple of months younger than other draftees and obviously more physically advanced. Additionally i believe he has finished school (secondary)

i have no problem with him being as ready as any other draftee

But it ain't going to happen

Actually IIRC Hogan's 18th is today. So Happy birthday to Hoges.
  • Like 1