Training - Monday 4th February, 2013

Slartibartfast

Might interest some people to know that (according to the 2012 prospectus) 13 other teams averaged more turnovers then us per match.......

It's hard to turn it over if you don't get your hands in the ball in the first place. The only number that matters is % of turnovers against disposals.
  • Like 6

You've changed binman's basic premise.

He didn't say 'season'...he said most important player.

Ridiculous comment.

I said most important player this year, meaning season so not quite sure what you're saying Jumbo. And i reckon he will be our most important player this season (though i agree Sylvia and Jones will also be super important).

My tip is that very early on in the season opposition coaches will recognise the importance of shutting Watts down such will be his influence on games with his delivery out of the back half (yes the QB role) that they will start putting defending forwards on him to limit his influence.

But now that you mention it I also believe that he will become our most important player full stop soon enough. Ridiculous comment? We'll see.

• Like 3

I think Colin Sylvia has the greatest potential to influence our performances and results. If he has an inconsistent or poor year like every other year we'll finish bottom 5. If he can play consistently to his maximum (and everything else goes right) we can make the 8.

One thing I think we can be guaranteed.. One way or the other, this will be the last year we ask when.

There is that "p" word again, but I agree entirely that he has the ability to seriously influence how the team goes 2103.

I still think that he has the ability to do well in the Brownlow, if not win it.

So if you feel like a day off you email

- Hardly slept a wink last night

- Think it had something to do with the pain running down my leg from the lumbar area in my back.

- Can someone pick me up this morning I doubt i can drive.

Well that might have happened in 2011!

I think Neeld and Craig have weeded out any who would even consider swinging the lead: they would be sent to Casey quick smart, though I wouldn't put it past him to even delist them stat.

The culture has changed, hopefully forever.

Edited by monoccular

Just re training and the photos, is there any readable logic in the blue/white tops that they're wearing? A team/B team or whatever?

It's just the side they are on at that moment in that drill. They will switch multiple times during training for the different drills. It always changes and I don't think there is really a pecking order involved. For instance, the training session I was able to get to had a full ground drill running with what looked like our first choice backline and Fitzpatrick as the full forward (who marked and goaled quite a few times during the exercise).

I think Colin Sylvia has the greatest potential to influence our performances and results. If he has an inconsistent or poor year like every other year we'll finish bottom 5. If he can play consistently to his maximum (and everything else goes right) we can make the 8.

FWIW I thought Sylvia was quite consistent in 2011 without scaling the heights he's capable of. Let's face it though, unless he gets 25+ touches & snags 4, he is always going to get a hiding on here

FWIW I thought Sylvia was quite consistent in 2011 without scaling the heights he's capable of. Let's face it though, unless he gets 25+ touches & snags 4, he is always going to get a hiding on here

Agreed, his second half was actually pretty good. It's just so hard to accept him playing 'pretty good' footy however when we have had so many little tastes of what Col can provide.

But stats wise from Rd 13 he averaged 21-22 touches and a sausage a game. After a broken back for the first half I would say his fitness would have just been kicking in here and maybe a bit of confidence.

I don't think that was to bad for a team that was awful

Agreed, his second half was actually pretty good. It's just so hard to accept him playing 'pretty good' footy however when we have had so many little tastes of what Col can provide.

But stats wise from Rd 13 he averaged 21-22 touches and a sausage a game. After a broken back for the first half I would say his fitness would have just been kicking in here and maybe a bit of confidence.

I don't think that was to bad for a team that was awful

Bear in mind that he broke his back right before the season started. That's going to have an impact on your season. I think he did well to come back and play as well as he did in the second half of the season.

Edit: lol. Just noticed you refer to the broken back too. :P

Edited by RalphiusMaximus

I said most important player this year, meaning season so not quite sure what you're saying Jumbo. And i reckon he will be our most important player this season (though i agree Sylvia and Jones will also be super important).

My tip is that very early on in the season opposition coaches will recognise the importance of shutting Watts down such will be his influence on games with his delivery out of the back half (yes the QB role) that they will start putting defending forwards on him to limit his influence.

But now that you mention it I also believe that he will become our most important player full stop soon enough. Ridiculous comment? We'll see.

Binman, I'd like you to mention one game that JW has influenced.

Binman, I'd like you to mention one game that JW has influenced.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Watts hasn't influenced a game so far in his career. He was the best on ground in our only win of note in 2012 against Essendon. He kicked 3 goals against the Tigers in Round 14, 2011, one of which was a fantastic individual effort that all but killed Richmond's momentum and hope of getting back into the game. He was consistently in our best players for a long stretch of games in both 2011 and 2012.

While he may not have lived up to the lofty expectations that come with being a #1 pick, there is no way that you can be serious in saying that he hasn't influenced a single game in his four years at the Dees.

• Like 15

You're kidding yourself if you think that Watts hasn't influenced a game so far in his career. He was the best on ground in our only win of note in 2012 against Essendon. He kicked 3 goals against the Tigers in Round 14, 2011, one of which was a fantastic individual effort that all but killed Richmond's momentum and hope of getting back into the game. He was consistently in our best players for a long stretch of games in both 2011 and 2012.

While he may not have lived up to the lofty expectations that come with being a #1 pick, there is no way that you can be serious in saying that he hasn't influenced a single game in his four years at the Dees.

2 games in 4 years?

Now, that's influence.

2 games in 4 years?

Now, that's influence.

Settle down superstar, Watts has had some highly influential games in his career. He has shown glimpses of being a genuine star. Last season when he returned against the Swans he racked up 30+ disposals in a team that got drubbed by 100+ points and he carried that form until he got injured in round 16 (??) and was from memory leading the competition for intercept marks.

Give the kid a break

• Like 1

Sylvia needs to aim to get 30 touches per game, he isn't a natural ball winner and isn't mentally quick enough to be, but he needs to get try to get the ball more if Melbourne are to improve.

ummm ??

Guest José Mourinho

Looking at the Moorabbin training , you could argue an A & B side (with bench players perhaps in the B side plus the odd swap- my opinion only)

That's exactly how I saw it too.