AFL investigation

deegirl

Can't see this happening. It would place a whole lot of extra work on already stressed under resourced recruiting departments if they don't know where their pick will be. Also, at the end of the day, who cares what the order is for the bottom 4 or so teams.

Not a big problem. If we are talking about doing it for bottom x teams, then the drawing from the hat could done early in the year - maybe done on the basis of team's position after 10 rounds.

If we are talking about random picks for all teams (not that makes much sense), then it could be done at the start of the year or even 3 years ahead of time.

Guest José Mourinho

Without evidence of a direct instruction to not try to win, the only way we can be found guilty based on actions, is if the AFL creates a schedule of possible actions with an associated absolute determination of whether the action contributes or detracts from the success of a match.

Would kinda take the fun out of the game, and also do away with the need for coaches - just someone who could follow the manual.

Coaching-by-numbers, if you will.

They'd also have to do this retroactively and somehow hold us to account.

And even then, every other club in the competition would then be found guilty of the same, because they've all done the same at some stage in the past.

The commentary and VoiceOver on the HUN's website re the last quarter is ridiculously biased...hilighting the Melbourne coaching staff's reaction to hitting the lead! Come on...it's a bit early for celebrating, don't you think? That's TENTION fella's, nerves, whatever...and Nathan Browns only goal of the quarter on Paul Johnson - not only was it a fluke, but Paul beat him clearly to ball, only to have it bounce off his legs towards Nathan...

I expect anyone with a video library of many close matches could come up with examples of glum-faced coaches boxes quite easily.

Wouldn't it be nice if some independent-minded journo actually wrote an article debunking the biased crud being shoved down the throats of the public. I'd think a debunking article would be of greater public interest at this stage than more of the same anti-MFC stuff trotted out. Anyone out there......???? You don't have to do much research - just fact-check the examples people have posted here.

• Like 1

Without evidence of a direct instruction to not try to win, the only way we can be found guilty based on actions, is if the AFL creates a schedule of possible actions with an associated absolute determination of whether the action contributes or detracts from the success of a match.

Would kinda take the fun out of the game, and also do away with the need for coaches - just someone who could follow the manual.

Coaching-by-numbers, if you will.

They'd also have to do this retroactively and somehow hold us to account.

And even then, every other club in the competition would then be found guilty of the same, because they've all done the same at some stage in the past.

totally and utterly ridiculous statement and totally and utterly correct.

• Like 1

The fumbling has me intrigued.

How much fumbling went on in Rounds 1 to 13 when we won only one game and nobody suggested we were tanking? For the argument that fumbling was an integral part of tanking they would have to reveal our level of fumbling improved during the period when we transmogrified from a struggling team into one that suddenly was very capable of rolling the premiership favourites. The mind boggles at this proposition.

Do they even keep statistics for fumbles?

• Like 1

The fumbling has me intrigued. How much fumbling went on in Rounds 1 to 13 when we won only one game and nobody suggested we were tanking? For the argument that fumbling was an integral part of tanking they would have to reveal our level of fumbling improved during the period when we transmogrified from a struggling team into one that suddenly was very capable of rolling the premiership favourites. The mind boggles at this proposition. Do they even keep statistics for fumbles?

i think they are clasping at straws...grasping at claws....harping on flaws...carping at bores...ohhh damn

• Like 1

I think theyre fumbling through this !!!

• Like 1

i think they are clasping at straws...grasping at claws....harping on flaws...carping at bores...ohhh damn

Stop your stumbling...bumbling......crumbling....fumbling beannut!....god,..... this thing is bloody contagious......

mumbling..?

arggh.

• Like 2

Eventually we'll stop our grumbling !

Cant help myself - Jay Clark just tweeted the same piece of HS footage on twitter with the following message

"Watch the faces of the Melbourne coaching staff when Ricky Petterd almost pinches the Dees the win over Richmond"

I tweeted back at him "by Jove - your right ! The smoking gun ! you've found it ! Go and collect your Walkley right now."

• Like 7

The fumbling has me intrigued. How much fumbling went on in Rounds 1 to 13 when we won only one game and nobody suggested we were tanking? For the argument that fumbling was an integral part of tanking they would have to reveal our level of fumbling improved during the period when we transmogrified from a struggling team into one that suddenly was very capable of rolling the premiership favourites. The mind boggles at this proposition. Do they even keep statistics for fumbles?

HaHaHa, I'd like some stats on the AFL Commissions fumbling of the decisions to run the game in the right manner, causing struggling teams to be over desperate to catch a break on the top clubs.

disrepute, right there behind closed doors.

I have to admit tho, they tried to do the right thing, but failed miserably.

maybe they should have 2 heads roll, as penance for they're missdeemean'rs?

well maybe one more, before time?

keep 'em honest Jack.

Even worse. Imagine if Carlton got another first round pick!

With no PP I don't think it's much of an issue and if the bottom team got pick 10 it would be clearly unfair.

emm, I used to think that too, & remember going against W_J when he suggested the weighted draw, but he was right all along. IMO.

I expect anyone with a video library of many close matches could come up with examples of glum-faced coaches boxes quite easily.

Wouldn't it be nice if some independent-minded journo actually wrote an article debunking the biased crud being shoved down the throats of the public. I'd think a debunking article would be of greater public interest at this stage than more of the same anti-MFC stuff trotted out. Anyone out there......???? You don't have to do much research - just fact-check the examples people have posted here.

I might just take you up on that. I am an ex journo and write for Back Page Lead on occasion. May even run it by here if I get round to it - is that a wise thing to do, or will be subjected to endless editing?

Cant help myself - Jay Clark just tweeted the same piece of HS footage on twitter with the following message

"Watch the faces of the Melbourne coaching staff when Ricky Petterd almost pinches the Dees the win over Richmond"

I tweeted back at him "by Jove - your right ! The smoking gun ! you've found it ! Go and collect your Walkley right now."

yeah but,,, by this argument, have a look at the tigers coaching staff when McMahon marked the ball inside 50m & time,,, & then slotted it!

stiff upper Lip that lot, eh what!

• Like 1

This has settlement written all over it. Both parties will formulate a token penalty. The club simply can't afford a large penalty, and certainly can't afford both a penalty and legal costs, in the event of a loss.

there is no way melbourne should take any penalty let alone a token one to smooth this over , we might fight all the way and never give up,

as stated before time to grow some and use them !

• Like 1

Although is actually laughable that the investigation is using something like fumbling as part of the case against us, i didnt expect them to implicate players. Unbelievable. What do we use as our defence, footage of clean disposal? give me a break

I can't work out which is worse

fumbling or ashen-faced officials

thank god we have the afl integrity commission to help us out

F M D

I'm thinking Ashen faced fumbling.

• Like 2

I would actually have more respect for the AFL if they held their hands up and just said- "we aint got sh!t" This is worse than clutching at straws they are clutching at thin air, and it is embarrassing!

Although is actually laughable that the investigation is using something like fumbling as part of the case against us, i didnt expect them to implicate players. Unbelievable. What do we use as our defence, footage of clean disposal? give me a break

"your honour, I put it to you that we delisted Simon godfrey in 2007"

• Like 1

I am shocked to know there are Demon supporters on here who are prepared to ROLL OVER & accept an AFL Punishment considering the evidence they have thrown at us (Via the Media of course)

If the MFC rolls over to these charges thus becoming the AFL Lap dog for the future, the MFC is really not worth supporting.

Do we think strongly we the MFC can defeat these charges?.........Yep.

We must fight this for as long as it takes...win respect of the population (potential members)

Yes it may cost us $$$ to begin with but a bigger membership will pay for that.

To Roll over to this garbage is to slowly die...

FIGHT THE POWER....great song btw.

• Like 1

Bloody Hell.......I'm so sick of this crap hanging over our heads.....59 pages of we'll be right......No we won't.....The AFL will do this....The MFC will do that.........I just want it to come to a head and be finished with it all....so we can get on discussing the footy....Who played well....who didn't.......Who's a dud (After 1 game).....Who's a champion (Ater 1 game)....

You know.....the normal stuff.....

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

Jay Clark is attention seeking, weak-willed and prepared to engage in dirty tactics.

Has been from a young age when I used to beat up on him in footy & basketball.

His character hasn't changed.