Crows pull out of draft ... sort of

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Another thing to consider is ... can the Crows unilaterally do this without AFL approval?

Whoever had the printed materials printed up and ready for tomorrow night will also be mightily [censored].

* Edit ... seems like Angry Anderson has given it the seal of a approval already ...

AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson welcomed Adelaide's bombshell, saying the move would work in the Crows' favour when the AFL Commission reviewed the case.

"Absolutely, I think this is definitely something that will be taken into account in Adelaide's favour as an appropriate step should they be found guilty," Anderson told reporters on the Gold Coast ahead of the draft.

"I think it's better for the game ... in all the circumstances and they should get credit and will get credit for that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/151451/default.aspx

Jokes aside, I tell you what.....what on earth kind of show is Adrian Anderson running here??

Hasn't he supposed to have had experience in being a lawyer? Why and the hell is he welcoming the Crows goodwill gesture?

They are a team considering their position and have the nerve to soften any foreseeable penalties. If I was the AFL, I'd snigger and say thanks for the suggestion but we cannot accept it as the investigation and process is ongoing. And the commission will decide what it perceives as best.

The football world knows that the Crows get Brad Crouch on the list as a player from last years mini draft.

So losing picks for rounds one and two (picks 20 and 54) is hardly earth shattering given the magnitude of their salary cap breach.

The Adelaide Crows are asking for leniency. I don't think clubs that faced breaches prior were afforded such.

It's just another case of "bush week" down at AFLHQ.

• Like 2

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

If I was the AFL, I'd snigger and say thanks for the suggestion but we cannot accept it as the investigation and process is ongoing. And the commission will decide what it perceives as best.

In truth, this should have been the AFL's impartial, professional response.

These clowns (Anderson and fatboy) are running a wild west show and need to be thrown out.

what a joke this is, OK you caught us, now we pick a lenient punishment for ourselves, thanks

IDGAF though, I guess the less they get punished, the less likely we are going to be punished hard for our own alleged issues. Different circumstances of course, but surely if they get off easy it makes our case easier to argue

Jokes aside, I tell you what.....what on earth kind of show is Adrian Anderson running here??

Hasn't he supposed to have had experience in being a lawyer? Why and the hell is he welcoming the Crows goodwill gesture?

They are a team considering their position and have the nerve to soften any foreseeable penalties. If I was the AFL, I'd snigger and say thanks for the suggestion but we cannot accept it as the investigation and process is ongoing. And the commission will decide what it perceives as best.

The football world knows that the Crows get Brad Crouch on the list as a player from last years mini draft.

So losing picks for rounds one and two (picks 20 and 54) is hardly earth shattering given the magnitude of their salary cap breach.

The Adelaide Crows are asking for leniency. I don't think clubs that faced breaches prior were afforded such.

It's just another case of "bush week" down at AFLHQ.

You are so right here'H_T', what kind of show is he running, besides the penalty is not his decision it is the commissions and if I were them I would be p....off that he has tried to influence their decision or seems to think he can make it for them.

Nice work by Adelaide though if they can pull this one off.

If anyone thinks this was Adelaide's choice/decision then you are clearly being naive.

This reeks of the AFL calling the shots and strongly suggesting to Adelaide that it would be in their best interests to voluntarily take a hit now so that the lighter punishment that they dish out next year won't be so damaging to them.

Let's hope that they show us the same amount of mercy if we are found guilty.

If anyone thinks this was Adelaide's choice/decision then you are clearly being naive.

This reeks of the AFL calling the shots and strongly suggesting to Adelaide that it would be in their best interests to voluntarily take a hit now so that the lighter punishment that they dish out next year won't be so damaging to them.

Hahaha trust me this decision was not suggested by the AFL. It's just a last minute/ditch effort from them to try and suck up to the AFL to lessen whatever penality is to come.

If you look at the history of salary cap breaches, they penalty gets more severe everytime, and considering that this is the first big case after the new stance on 3rd party deals - whatever Adelaide will be hit with it wont be pretty and Adelaide know it.

I think what we are being accused of and salary cap breaches are incredibly different. For one salary cap rules are black and white, tanking is incredibly grey, and there is precedence of salary cap breaching, ours is unprecedented.

Also Adelaide alerted the AFL to their breach, and have basically self confessed with the drop of their average picks to lessen the penalty.

WE have confessed nothing, and will fight this to the courts if it comes to that.

Two completly different issues, with two completely different stances and will have two completely different outcomes.

Adelaide may have thought this up, but they sure as hell didn't make it public without work shopping it first with Angry Anderson and his crew. No club would be stupid enough to make such an offer without knowing what they will get out of it as a result. It's a bit like a lawyer never asking a question in court without already knowing what the response will be.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

I see this as a reaction to Oliver riding through the carnival and then Racing Victoria coming under fire for letting him.

guilty of what ?

The Crows plainly broke rules.

We havent.

see, the afl will hope to find a penalty acceptable with 'behind scenes leaning on', on clubs to ensure the AFL comes out looking squeaky clean & not stuck in the courts after Xmas.

Wait til we hear what ours will be?

What will Our admins except, on Our Behalf?

And then the AFL will say, the priority pick saga, (of they're making & Vlads list managing) is now done and dusted. No more investigations into the other List managing clubs of the last 15 years.

I'd say this is the core of their thinking. They've already got a top 2-3 pick from this year's draft in Crouch. So they can afford to lose picks 20 & 54 which look like they weren't going to be that great. So they spread the pain and get on with it in a year where they already have a ready made youngster coming in. Good tactic and clearly the AFL have said it will help them.

I'd say this is the core of their thinking. They've already got a top 2-3 pick from this year's draft in Crouch. So they can afford to lose picks 20 & 54 which look like they weren't going to be that great. So they spread the pain and get on with it in a year where they already have a ready made youngster coming in. Good tactic and clearly the AFL have said it will help them.

and why do the Crows need any help?

They have systematically cheated the Salary Cap & have now told the AFL how they wish to be punished...

Before we all get too righteous about Adelaide.

lets wait and see how the MFC reacts to the findings in our little case.

He who is without fault cast the first stone!

you cop your wack, and don't tell the governing body how your sanctions will be served.

Vindictiveness cast, comes back.

competitiveness, at its most fiercest creates, not smiles of admiration, but retribution.

you cop your wack, and don't tell the governing body how your sanctions will be served.

If you are guilty and are trying to lessen the blows it is not IMO a bad tactic.

No chance it will make the penalities worse and has the potential to lessen them.

If you are guilty and are trying to lessen the blows it is not IMO a bad tactic.

No chance it will make the penalities worse and has the potential to lessen them.

and why should Adelaide have a lesser penalty?

The salary cap is the backbone to keeping the cometition viable.

Not saying they should wyl

But the AFL might give them one.

Lets say the penality was going to be first two picks in 2013 and 14.

And gets down graded 2013 to first three picks.

All over at the end of 2013.

That could be potentially a better result

Because all clubs have/are exploiting the system. as the draft...

they should be looking into all hidden payments and bring it all out in the open. nasty things lurk in the darkness of the shadows & the night.

the brightness of daylight cleanses most issues.

Edited by dee-luded

There's no stones old dee. But there is incompetence by one Adrian Anderson.

Absolutely at the core of their thinking. Rather than expect to be penalised at the next two ND's, they have Crouch in the back pocket and their thinking will be, well considering we have Crouch, lets offer the AFL to take away our first two picks (which are luke warm picks) and it might just result in next year's national draft exclusion. Leaving us to return to 2014 - when we know it's going to be a bumper draft.

Not saying they should wyl

But the AFL might give them one.

Lets say the penality was going to be first two picks in 2013 and 14.

And gets down graded 2013 to first three picks.

All over at the end of 2013.

That could be potentially a better result

you certainly let them off lightly...