Col Sylvia in 2013

P-man

Nothing new this year - our most frustrating player of the last decade.

He is strong, can break packs, and break games, is a great kick, but just doesn't do it often enough to be anything more than a potential top grade player.

I suspect (like many here) that it is in his head: Daniher was never going to get inside his head and turn him around, nor Bailey. I do think and sincerely hope that Neeld can do it, and cajole and / or push and / or embarrass Col into pulling his finger out and putting in a full season of his best. IF that happens, I do believe he could be a top 5 Brownlow contender.

'if only he could have an uninterrupted pre-season'.

Listen and repeat every November.

And ditto this year according to the training reports. He started late, and is on a modified program..again. Shades of 2011.

He's always had a question mark over his stamina. I'd just love to see him train with the main group, and get miles in those legs like Jones and Nicho.

Hell even Spencer is running with the pack atm.

And ditto this year according to the training reports. He started late, and is on a modified program..again. Shades of 2011.

He's always had a question mark over his stamina. I'd just love to see him train with the main group, and get miles in those legs like Jones and Nicho.

Love to be wrong but he is trapper all over again.

I am not holding my breath beyond half a dozen good games in 2013

Am just wondering how long it will be before certain posters get stuck into Viney/Wines/Toumas/Trengove(some have already started) when they have some down games and don't live up to the star expectations....I really hate the bagging some players get on DL.....Some won't make it....some will be great players.....but they are all trying....they actually want to be AFL players...

We are all football 'experts'..... we all view players differently......but we have no idea of players state of mind at any time of day.....

Players are human....there have worries, personal problems, the same as us....So to say a certain player needs to pull his finger out is ignorant and unfair

I would love to see some posters see how they would go trying to get a game in the AFL envioment.....every move or decision you make is subject to public opinion....

• Like 3

Am just wondering how long it will be before certain posters get stuck into Viney/Wines/Toumas/Trengove(some have already started) when they have some down games and don't live up to the star expectations....I really hate the bagging some players get on DL.....Some won't make it....some will be great players.....but they are all trying....they actually want to be AFL players...

We are all football 'experts'..... we all view players differently......but we have no idea of players state of mind at any time of day.....

Players are human....there have worries, personal problems, the same as us....So to say a certain player needs to pull his finger out is ignorant and unfair

I would love to see some posters see how they would go trying to get a game in the AFL envioment.....every move or decision you make is subject to public opinion....

+1

The fact that people got into Trengove this year is a joke.

He was actually pretty good.

Sylvia did also show some good patches in the middle of the year

If you would prefer, I will say that Col needs to knuckle down, concentrate on his football, a calling for which he has undoubted natural talent, and show us all, including doubters & sceptics just why he will be remembered as other than an enormously capable footballer who never consistently revealed his true potential, to the frustration of so many.

I am sure that even the most persistently negative posters here would be over the moon if Col did what I certainly believe he could do - win a bloody Brownlow. But we all know that nobody does that without enormous dedication and self sacrifice - our own Woey was a prime example of someone who was prepared to do this and achieved far more than even his greatest long term fans could have dreamed.

If you would prefer, I will say that Col needs to knuckle down, concentrate on his football, a calling for which he has undoubted natural talent, and show us all, including doubters & sceptics just why he will be remembered as other than an enormously capable footballer who never consistently revealed his true potential, to the frustration of so many.

I am sure that even the most persistently negative posters here would be over the moon if Col did what I certainly believe he could do - win a bloody Brownlow. But we all know that nobody does that without enormous dedication and self sacrifice - our own Woey was a prime example of someone who was prepared to do this and achieved far more than even his greatest long term fans could have dreamed.

I agree with a lot you have said.......But comparing Woey to Col is like comparing apples to oranges.......

Col.....#3

Woey.... mature age pick in the PS draft

Col ......a star in the TAC cup

Woey....Fair player in the WAFL

Shane had enormous belief in himself and enormous desire to make it...where Col expected it to just come natually

I really believe Col will be the player we all want him to become......Posters are getting into him now because he is in the re hab group.......I would think that this is not his fault and he has had injuries in the pre seasons for the past 3 years....which can and does affect your season.....Just hate the bagging a lot of our players get on here.....

Col has spent his entire career in a rehab group of one sort or another

Lets just see if he wants it enough I personally dont think he does but I would be over the moon if he shows us all

I agree with a lot you have said.......But comparing Woey to Col is like comparing apples to oranges.......

Col.....#3

Woey.... mature age pick in the PS draft

Col ......a star in the TAC cup

Woey....Fair player in the WAFL

Shane had enormous belief in himself and enormous desire to make it...where Col expected it to just come natually

I really believe Col will be the player we all want him to become......Posters are getting into him now because he is in the re hab group.......I would think that this is not his fault and he has had injuries in the pre seasons for the past 3 years....which can and does affect your season.....Just hate the bagging a lot of our players get on here.....

Sorry, maybe I was unclear.

I was not comparing the two as talents.

I was suggesting that Woey got far more out of himself through sheer hard work and dedication, than Col has achieved merely relying on his natural ability, and that IF he decided to show Woey's application he would undoubtedly be able to reach the very top.

I think we are barking up the same tree, Bossdog, maybe just expressing it differently.

Edited by monoccular

'When you have been at the club 8 years and have the raw talent of Sylvia you deserve to cop it.

• Like 1

'When you have been at the club 8 years and have the raw talent of Sylvia you deserve to cop it.

Thats the crux of my arguement.....Who are you to critisize....I take it you know Col personally and know his moods, pressures personal situation intimately.....Much easier to sit at your keyboard and have players come up to your expectations or they are damed for all time....
  • Like 1

Thats the crux of my arguement.....Who are you to critisize....I take it you know Col personally and know his moods, pressures personal situation intimately.....Much easier to sit at your keyboard and have players come up to your expectations or they are damed for all time....

I am a paid up supporter and its my right to criticise him. Who are you? His mother?

The club doesn't rate him that highly either genius. No better than 5th in the B& F in 8 years.

Couldn't give a tinkers cuss about his moods. Would they be the ones he has when he's crawling out of wrecked cars on Kings Way after a night out and a skin full?

I am a paid up supporter and its my right to criticise him. Who are you? His mother?

The club doesn't rate him that highly either genius. No better than 5th in the B& F in 8 years.

Couldn't give a tinkers cuss about his moods. Would they be the ones he has when he's crawling out of wrecked cars on Kings Way after a night out and a skin full?

Oh sorry being a paid up member makes you God......Gee I misunderstood.......I hope our draft picks up come up to your standard.......or pity help them......The club must rate him or he wouldn't still be on the list....genius.....

Guest NoMoreMrNiceGuy

Who gives a fig about his moods?

Just get out there and start playing consistent footy and the knocks will end. End of story.

• Like 1

Oh sorry being a paid up member makes you God......Gee I misunderstood.......I hope our draft picks up come up to your standard.......or pity help them......The club must rate him or he wouldn't still be on the list....genius.....

Having an opinion = God?? Wow you're killing me with your comments.

Keep trying. So going by your logic Isaac Weetra and Brent Grgic would still be here because we can't criticise them and they must be given every chance to become a consistent player.

Col is lucky to still be here. Has totally underperformed. Didn't realise it was school holidays already....

Having an opinion = God?? Wow you're killing me with your comments.

Keep trying. So going by your logic Isaac Weetra and Brent Grgic would still be here because we can't criticise them and they must be given every chance to become a consistent player.

Col is lucky to still be here. Has totally underperformed. Didn't realise it was school holidays already....

I have been a member of the MFC for the past 50 years so the school holidays comment is immature and banal. I played this game at the 2nd highest level and even coached my own sides.

My opinion is different to yours....I hate people bagging there own players from the safety of their keyboards...you seem to have no problem with it...so be it.......Some players will make it, some won't but I won't stoop to bagging......Will leave it there...

I have been a member of the MFC for the past 50 years so the school holidays comment is immature and banal. I played this game at the 2nd highest level and even coached my own sides.

My opinion is different to yours....I hate people bagging there own players from the safety of their keyboards...you seem to have no problem with it...so be it.......Some players will make it, some won't but I won't stoop to bagging......Will leave it there...

Its difficult to argue that there is nothing wrong with bagging your players from the other side of the fence - yet most of us do it from time to time. I know I am guilty of bagging Clint Bartram - and recent disclosures about Clint's knee problems have demonstrated just how unfair I was.

Col has been such a frustrating player - because he has the talent to win us games of football - yet so often fails to deliver. I think he has probably suffered more from injury than we realize - but that doesn't make his ordinary performances any less frustrating

I just reckon we all ought to wipe the slate clean and start again ( yes I know we do it every year!) Perhaps it will be ninth time lucky!!

• Like 3

I belive the definition of people like that is "keyboard warriors"

From all reports Spence is running ahead of the packs.