Mitch Banner

Scipio

Mitch Banner has been delisted today by Port, so does anyone think he is worth a spot via delisted FA? 22 year old midfielder who I think has some of the qualities that Neeld likes - hard at it and hard working.

Mitch Banner has been delisted today by Port, so does anyone think he is worth a spot via delisted FA? 22 year old midfielder who I think has some of the qualities that Neeld likes - hard at it and hard working.

Need to know more, he was a good mid in the U-18's.

Need to know whats happened with him?

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-port-adelaide-power--mitchell-banner

There are his career stats. Didn't set the world on fire but played some good games. Seems to be able to find the goals.

Delisted by Port says it all.

• Like 3

I think we would consider Mitch Banner in the PSD or the rookie draft.

I could even see him playing as a small defender. He has that toughness and tackling ability.

Wait and see.

Surjan would be another interesting one. Strange that Port delisted him as he always showed real guts and ability whenever I watched Port (admittedly only about 3 times this year!!!)

Delisted by Port says it all.

I've been watching clubs pick up our rejects for the last couple of years while wondering what the hell they were thinking. It never ended well for them.

I'd like to think we can be smarter than that.

I've been watching clubs pick up our rejects for the last couple of years while wondering what the hell they were thinking. It never ended well for them.

I'd like to think we can be smarter than that.

Yes they think that because we have trouble developing players they can put them through their system and turn them in to footballers, well what they fail to realise is they were crap with us because they were genuinely crap to begin with.

Port are in bigger strife than us and even though they have beaten us a few times lately they have nothing, they are in danger of folding.

Yes they think that because we have trouble developing players they can put them through their system and turn them in to footballers, well what they fail to realise is they were crap with us because they were genuinely crap to begin with.

Or possibly because they picked up so many bad habits during their time with us that they are damaged beyond repair. I think we've both picked crap and ruined potential good ones in our last decade.

In any event I wouldn't take anything less than an established A grader from a team like Port.

• Like 2

Averages 16 possessions and a goal from his 19 games.

Would have finished top 10 in our B&F this year with stats like that.

In his best match he had 24 disposals, 8 tackles and kicked 3 in a 10 goal loss.

Would suggest he has some more upside than Bate, Bennell, Bail, Jetta etc who have never had a game like that.

Having said that, at 179cm you need some tricks. Does he have elite speed or kicking?

• Like 1

Will become an unrestricted free agent.This is what was said about him at draft time 2008.

Snoops Phantom Draft:

# 43 North Melbourne - Mitch Banner (Western Jets / 178 / 77)

Every year I pick a footballer that I just love. Usually they are a contested footy winner who gets a fair bit of it and uses it well (Adams / Batsanis / Hurley / Kelly) are past winners of my adulation). This year it is Banner. Unfortunately these types usually fall much lower than I have them – if they get selected at all! So with Banner I have deliberately dropped him 20 spots from where I would otherwise have him. Massive possession – had over 40 touches in one game which is very rare at TAC level. Terrific at the clearances and uses the ball very well. Won Western jets B&F last year. Can play.

26. RICHMOND - MITCH BANNER

The Tigers get a ball winning, clearance machine they are looking for. Mitch has the ability to contribute straight away and will be valuable in the clinches to feed the likes of Deledio, Cotchin, Foley, Edwards in the future. I rate him as having one of the best leadership skills, he will develop into a fine leader down at Punt Road. With Kane Johnson at the end, he will slot in nicely taking over his role.

Another comment:

Probably on my own on this one, but Mitch Banner has the best skills in the draft. Its just his decision making that lets him down. But both sides of the feet, at any distance to 55m, he will hit them. Just when he is under pressure he tends to just try and kick it forward to anywhere

foj1 PD

Hawthorn Pick 66 Mitchell Banner

The Hawks get a reliable, hard working midfielder who is capable of winning a stack of the footy. Banner has done everything asked of him this year both in the Nationals and in the TAC cup. I have a slight concern over Banner’s kicking as he sometimes throws the ball on the boot in a rush and he needs to kicker stronger and flatter in the AFL but they are areas he can work on. Will be a very good VFL footballer- the question is can he cut it in the AFL?

********************************************************************************

Comments on the Port BigFooty Board Yesterday:

Banner (despite form in SANFL reserves, paper marked a long way back after being rejected senior appearances with the Magpies. Could be argued that papers were marker alot earlier then that)

Probably more than 50% of the Banner frustration has been because we've seen so many 'spuds' continue to play instead while we were told Mitch wasn't working on the defensive side of his game enough for the Pies, fair enough considering that was Primus' game plan, but that was the other frustrating thing that wasn't working out. We were begging to see him given a run at AFL level this year. I can see him kicking over a dozen goals next year for someone else which may not sound like much but his first year somewhere new, still young and rotating through, I see him being good and getting better.

Maybe his ability has not transferred to AFL. Some question over his kicking ability under pressure.

There could be a number of reasons or maybe he just isn't up to it.

Didn't play a game this year. Becomes an unrestricted FA.

Bye the Bye the hatred for Peter Rohde is intense over there. Reckon he's stuffed up the Club.

• 2 weeks later...

Would Mitch Banner be a good pickup for us? He is still very young and would be happier back in his home State. He was also pretty impressive as a junior. What do people think? HE WOULD BRING LEADERSHIP TO THE CLUB AS HE WAS CAPTAIN OF THE WINNING VIC METRO TEAM. Played with Wattsy, Blease and $cully to name just a few.

Hi All.

Heard on the grape vine today (from an unusual source, so may not be true) that the Club is into getting Mitch Banner & Ben Warren in the upcoming delisted free agent period. I will keep my thoughts to myself on this.

Im also going down to the NT Thunder training this week to get together a bit of a BIO about Dom Barry for you guys on this forum.

Speak to you then.

Cheers,

Hells Gates.

• Like 7

I liked his as a 2nd Rnder or there abouts, in his draft year, but haven't kept up with him since.

Hi All.

Heard on the grape vine today (from an unusual source, so may not be true) that the Club is into getting Mitch Banner & Ben Warren in the upcoming delisted free agent period. I will keep my thoughts to myself on this.

Im also going down to the NT Thunder training this week to get together a bit of a BIO about Dom Barry for you guys on this forum.

Speak to you then.

Cheers,

Hells Gates.

I was always taught that if "you have nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all" too.