State of Play

1st round

#3 to GWS (for MD2 Jesse Hogan & pick 20 & Dom Barry)

#4 (available)

#13 to GWS (for MD2 Jesse Hogan & pick 20 & Dom Barry)

#20 (now available)

2nd round

#26 father son selection : Jack Viney ... what a sensation

3rd round

#46 (available)

4th round

#66 (available)

5th round

#84 (available)

<draft picks are approx due to compensation deals apicks for free agent deals yet to be nominated by AFL)

On the table:

OUT - Brent Moloney - free agent to the Lions, Jared Rivers - free agent to the Cats (I hope he stays), Jordie Gysberts - Cats may offer 2nd round pick #35 approx in exchange, Stef Martin - Saints may be keen in exchange for 3rd round pick #52 approx in exchange.

IN - Shannon Byrnes (Free agent from the Cats ... Signed), and rumours around Chris Dawes from pies (for pick 20 ... hmmm yes ok but I think we need more midfield class), Cam Pedersen from kangas (I yes from me), Farren Ray from saints (hmmm a yes), Ben Warren from kangas (oh no).

• Like 2

I would take dawes at 20, no worries. I would also like Cam Pederson but cant see how we could get him, or would the club prob go for one only.

Farren Ray and Ben Warren are not going to help us, i would steer clear myself and hope dees do.

GW$ scare me now...The National Draft will be another Horror Show.

agree. GWS get:

1. extra $$$ 1mil, plus Sydney living allowance $900,000 to salary cap ... $2mil extra a year.

2. List size of 44 plus 9 rookies.

3. NT zone for 4 years.

5. Pre listed AFL players from VFL, SANFL, WAFL to pick up or trade

6. 2 years of mini-draft trades

7. pick up 10 players in 17yo age bracket from 2011

8. 9 of the top 15 in 2011 draft (and they topped up an extra 2).

9. No AFL investigation on signing players under contract (ie Tom Scully).

Do we need to say anything further.

1st round

#3 to GWS (for MD2 Jesse Hogan & pick 20 & Dom Barry)

#4 (available)... Wines, Toumpas, O'Rourke

#13 to GWS (for MD2 Jesse Hogan & pick 20 & Dom Barry)

#20 (now available) ... Towers, Graham, Atkins, Lowrie

2nd round

3rd round

#46 (available) ... Cam Pedersen or Matt Thomas trades. Draftees likely - Tim Broomhead (SA), Ben Kearns (Gippsland), Leigh Osborne (VFL)

4th round

#66 (available) ... by this stage we should have a full quota or keep one for PSD#3. If we use, likely Josh Scott (Gippsland) or Josh Thurlow (Tassie) may appeal.

5th round

#84 (available) ... unlikely we will have this pick available as should get free agent comps/trade deals. Use MFC last pick of course to upgrade Daniel Nicholson.

< draft picks are approx due to compensation deals apicks for free agent deals yet to be nominated by AFL)

On the table:

OUT - Brent Moloney - free agent to the Lions, Jared Rivers - free agent to the Cats (I hope he stays), Jordie Gysberts - Cats may offer 2nd round pick #35 approx in exchange, Stef Martin - Saints may be keen in exchange for 3rd round pick #52 approx in exchange.

IN - Shannon Byrnes (Free agent from the Cats ... Signed), and rumours around Chris Dawes from pies (for pick 20 ... hmmm yes ok but I think we need more midfield class), Cam Pedersen from kangas (I yes from me), Farren Ray from saints (hmmm a yes), Ben Warren from kangas (oh no), Matt Thomas from Power (hmmm no prisoners taken is his style - I like it)

I would take dawes at 20, no worries. I would also like Cam Pederson but cant see how we could get him, or would the club prob go for one only.

Farren Ray and Ben Warren are not going to help us, i would steer clear myself and hope dees do.

I think Dawes should be more a 25 to 35ish pick. I just don't see him as a 1st rnd pick, but some desperate club may, if competition is fierce.

• Like 1

agree. GWS get:

1. extra $$$ 1mil, plus Sydney living allowance $900,000 to salary cap ... $2mil extra a year.

2. List size of 44 plus 9 rookies.

3. NT zone for 4 years.

5. Pre listed AFL players from VFL, SANFL, WAFL to pick up or trade

6. 2 years of mini-draft trades

7. pick up 10 players in 17yo age bracket from 2011

8. 9 of the top 15 in 2011 draft (and they topped up an extra 2).

9. No AFL investigation on signing players under contract (ie Tom Scully).

Do we need to say anything further.

No matter how well we draft we will never be able to compete with GWS and possibly GC in 2-4 years time.

The AFL heve made sure these clubs will be powerhouses. The idea of the mini-draft was for these new clubs to take experienced players from the existing clubs rather than high-end draft picks. This was not written into the set-up rules so the clubs have explored the loophole and secured the best draft picks available.

When some of their players want to come home they again will trade for top-end draft picks and the cycle will continue. It could possibly 10 years or more for this to balance out as free-agency takes hold and their players can walk should they wish to. Of course with the extra money in the salary cap they will be in a better position to retain players even under FA.

Sadly for GWS and GC, things are never as straightforward as they seem.

GWS have $1.1 a year for the next 5 years holed up in HWFUA, $1m approx in Folau, and another $800k in Ward (money well spent), and they will not be able to keep all their imports.

I am not going to worry about how good they might be, we got a lot better over the last two days and that is what I care about.

• Like 3

No matter how well we draft we will never be able to compete with GWS and possibly GC in 2-4 years time.

The AFL heve made sure these clubs will be powerhouses. The idea of the mini-draft was for these new clubs to take experienced players from the existing clubs rather than high-end draft picks. This was not written into the set-up rules so the clubs have explored the loophole and secured the best draft picks available.

When some of their players want to come home they again will trade for top-end draft picks and the cycle will continue. It could possibly 10 years or more for this to balance out as free-agency takes hold and their players can walk should they wish to. Of course with the extra money in the salary cap they will be in a better position to retain players even under FA.

I think free agency may help against those clubs, if a player wants to leave, he doesn't sign a contract & becomes a free agent???

the worry is that they will be good at the same time we are good.

i will vomit blood if they beat us at the g on the last saturday in september.

Maybe this is part of the rationale for going for "hard-hitting" over "silky skills" - it's one strategy for beating the future GWS & GCS, and hopefully everybody else.

"The hardest team to play against".

• Like 1

State of Play.

What happened today?

I feel like we are sitting on our hands watching the world go by.

No action for about 30 hours.

Pull your fingers out DEES we need real info to talk about not just rumours.

• Like 1

I actually think we will always have the upper hand on GWS. Our potential stars are all approx 3 - 4 years older then GWS's stars so we will always slightly ahead in my opinion. Only when guys like Grimes, Trengove, Watts and other players we picked up prior to the new franchises get old and call it a day will GWS be able to come out on top of us.

Free agent signing - Shannon Byrnes

MFC give picks #3 & 13 to GWS

GWS give MD2 Jesse Hogan & pick 20 & Dom Barry

Rumours & negotiations:

OUT -

• Brent Moloney - free agent to the Lions <pending medical>
  • Jared Rivers - free agent to the Cats. GFC offer 3 yrs @$350k. JR has toured Cattery ...
  • Jordie Gysberts - Cats may offer 2nd round pick #35 approx in exchange. Gone quiet.
  • Stef Martin - has been put on the market despite having 1 yr on contract left. Only whisper is Saints may be keen in exchange for 3rd round pick #52 approx in exchange.

IN-

• Chris Dawes from pies - has to decide b/w Pies and 3 suitors Blues, Dogs & Dees.
  • Cam Pedersen from kangas - reports say MFC still very keen.
  • Farren Ray from saints - under contract and Saints say he is wanted. Mgr and player are looking at ops elsewhere. MFC to pursue IMO.
  • Ben Warren from kangas - question asked. I hope its a full stop as he is VFL quality only.
  • Matt Thomas from Power - discussion raised only
  • Scott Gumbleton from bombers - Mark Neeld has a 30 minute coffee with Gumbleton. Mail has it Bombers offer is 1 yr, Freo offer is 3 yrs. I hope we pass on the injury proned, inaccurately kicking fwd.

Edited by spirit of norm smith
  • Like 1

This should probably have its own thread.

An example of a surreptitious deal that is a win-win-win for all parties.

Well done to the club for ensuring we get Viney and Hogan.

I know rpfc. I was going to, but I thought it fitted the "State of Play" quite well, given the explanations by Emma - or State of Play.

GC and GWS will find it hard to keep players, they already have a few home sick kids and others who are not happy with a few stars getting all the $$'s, bless you Tom Scully. They will also need to start to trim their lists soon, and will need to release players to draft new players. Other clubs will circle them like vultures next year and pluck them senseless. I heard a rumour that Ablett wanted to return to Vic at the end of his contract I'm sure others will go the same way.

GWS & GC will not be powerhouses IMO, they will loose players think Toy, Caddy, and more to come.

You just can't hold that many good players.

Especially when they're all young & will start to wander a bit morally.

When they start pinching one another girlfriends or wives, they're will be times of trouble.

Likewise at GWS.