WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - CHRIS DAWES

I've noticed a few people conveniently question the worth of pick 20 on the back of Dawes. Pick 20 should get you an exceedingly good player in this year's draft. One of the reasons that a club like Collingwood will stay competitive while remaining in the top 4 and not having access to the sharp end of the draft is that they are able to trade away expendable players like Dawes and Wellingham and end up with picks like 17, 18, and 20, which is what they look like taking into this year's draft.

In recent years pick 19 gave you Shuey and 20+ picks gave you Beams, Sloane, Fyfe, Hannebery, Redden and others such as Rockliff, Suckling, Blair, Dahlhaus, etc. Collingwood choose well and will remain competitive with the picks 20 of this world.

Pick 19 in that draft gave us James Strauss. Shuey was 18.

That said, picks in the 20s in that draft delivered Ballantyne, Jackson Trengove, Zaharakis, Suban, Redden, Beams and Hannebery (pick 30).

In short, pick 20 has value.

Collingwood just posturing! Can see all their huff and puff, then this being submitted 9am Monday morning!!

Even if we have to wait another two weeks or so, we can still go about Pederson and other business.

IF a deal is done.... And we manage to get Dawes and Pederson....... Than I'd think that Clark would take up a Leigh Brown type role....

I think Pederson will.

Getting Dawes is just a desperate act to get a name player to the club to make believe we are moving forward. Same for the lions and bulldogs.

Either that or the concerted effort to get an experienced player with known work ethics and leadership, an acknowledged decent by half kpp who had some injury. And is looking to establish himself again in a meaningful way at a club going somewhere.

I know which view I'm taking !

IF a deal is done.... And we manage to get Dawes and Pederson....... Than I'd think that Clark would take up a Leigh Brown type role....

....assistant coach........not nearly yet I hope. Have you heard something very bad about his foot ? :-(((
  • Like 1

It's just posturing. The Pies will take pick 20 if we sit tight. It's more than fair.

I agree, that is its posturing. Walsh wouldn't be earning his money of flying that toothless cloth they call the magpie flag if he were just just say, yeah ok, what ya offering etc.

Much of this will have ALREADY been scenario'd and run past various ppl. It'll go through one way or another.

I do however concur with the other poster who suggests he (gw) reminds him of a posterior !!!

Dawes, Clark and Hogan mean we don't have to worry about getting a tall forward for the better part of a decade or longer.

Pick 20 will deliver whoever has it a very good prospect. But that need for that pick is assuaged by us having Pick 4, Viney, an improved Trengove, and more involvement from Howe and Blease.

• Like 3

Dawes, Clark and Hogan mean we don't have to worry about getting a tall forward for the better part of a decade or longer.

Pick 20 will deliver whoever has it a very good prospect. But that need for that pick is assuaged by us having Pick 4, Viney, an improved Trengove, and more involvement from Howe and Blease.

Add to that list Grimes' continued improvement and hopefully (oh dear) an injury-free pre-season for Colin Sylvia. I'd love to see him play next year in the guts with those boys.

• Like 3

What are you thinking? Selling tickets to our 2016 premiership party already?

Dawes better stop backsliding and improve quickly.

We have to wait 18 months before we see if Hogan has got anything at AFL level and a few more years to establish himself.

And we don't know if Clark will be able to stand on his toes ever again.

Pick 20 is too valuable to weigh so lightly against the Cale Morton and the the rest; Just more if's and buts from you presented as facts.

Edited by america de cali

an injury-free pre-season for Colin Sylvia. I'd love to see him play next year in the guts with those boys.

I would make Sylvia watch Ryan O'Keefe's grand final 3 times a week for the next 4 months. I would say that there's no reason you can't have O'Keefe's 2012 if you get fitter, more dedicated, and give 100% to every contest in every minute of every game. Don't do it for a quarter, or a half, but 120 minutes. Don't coast from contest to contest as you often do; and try and match O'Keefe's tackle count from 2102. O'Keefe averaged 6.5 tackles per game to Sylvia's 3.8. His desperation and physicality around stoppages and contested ball was significant.

Jones did a great job of having the type of year that Brad Sewell produces and there's no reason that Sylvia can't emulate O'Keefe.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Clark progressed from walking to skipping for the first time since surgery in the last couple of days, I believe. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play in the NAB Cup or possibly the first few rounds.

Amongst the plethora of good news I have heard this week, that is probably the best of all. The injury apparently unpredictable, so I am told, so to hear that Mitch is skipping is just great. It is essential that his rehab is handled very carefully, and it sounds as if it is just that.
  • Like 1

Agree - we can't and don't have to solve all our problems in one draft - we have Viney and probably a top quality mid with 4. Like it or not we'll probably finish in the bottom 5 next year too and have another top 5 pick. Also there'll be fall-out from GWS and GC over the coming years.

You need to listen to your own advice champ. A more negative nancy, I have not seen.

Sorry mate you are stuck with me. Have a Bex.

You need to listen to your own advice champ. A more negative nancy, I have not seen.

Unfortunately P_Man some people, soothsayers particularly, seem to just like the sound of their own voice (if that can be extrapolated to internet boards) - you have probably seen those guys (usually) who stand on street corners announcing the imminent end of the world as we know it. We just have to put up with them - I guess it becomes THE meaning of life for some of them. I think that replying probably only encourages them, though it is hard to resist sometimes as I have shown myself from time to time.

GO DEMONS - RISE IN 2013!!!

But I digress: Back to the thread - are there any CONFIRMED updates on the Dawes situation.

• Like 2

i meant the type of role he played, as a player for Collingwood......

I realised what you meant - my weak attempt at humour. There should be a "tongue in cheek icon I can insert to avoid confusion when I am being ironic.
  • Like 1

Agree - we can't and don't have to solve all our problems in one draft - we have Viney and probably a top quality mid with 4. Like it or not we'll probably finish in the bottom 5 next year too and have another top 5 pick. Also there'll be fall-out from GWS and GC over the coming years.

What ? Not in one draft you say!

All kidding aside this IS a point being overlooked by some. This is the start of the correction. There's more to come.

Whatever's not working or developing by next seasons eos circus will be addressed then and so on.

But as a huge re-boot of .serious experience and budding potential I honestly can't remember an instance.

This is a serious reformation of our structure and ability on field.

Edit

I do counter your assertion of where we will finish. 9-12 for me.

Edited by belzebub59

I would make Sylvia watch Ryan O'Keefe's grand final 3 times a week for the next 4 months. I would say that there's no reason you can't have O'Keefe's 2012 if you get fitter, more dedicated, and give 100% to every contest in every minute of every game. Don't do it for a quarter, or a half, but 120 minutes. Don't coast from contest to contest as you often do; and try and match O'Keefe's tackle count from 2102. O'Keefe averaged 6.5 tackles per game to Sylvia's 3.8. His desperation and physicality around stoppages and contested ball was significant.

Jones did a great job of having the type of year that Brad Sewell produces and there's no reason that Sylvia can't emulate O'Keefe.

I've said a similar thing but comparing him to Dane Swan. Simply that Swan doesn't have the body or the skills of Sylvia yet he never stops running, is rarely flat footed and always runs hardest in his first five steps. No reason why Sylvia can't do the same.

• Like 1

What are you thinking? Selling tickets to our 2016 premiership party already?

It's too easy to criticise the approach the club is taking. Ithink we're doing very well with our list management. Clark last year. The Viney management, the Hogan selection and now pursuing Dawes whose market value is currently low.

How about giving us your recipe for success. Trade pick 13 for Pendlebury and pick up Buddy in the PSD?

• Like 4

Personally I thought Sylvia had a solid season, all things considered. He fractured his spine in the nab cup and was probably brought back into the side prematurely as his first few games were awful, but towards the end of the season he was regularly in our best. Its already been stated that he wants to play in the midfield and Neeld wants him to play there. If he can stay injury free over the summer then I will be very excited about him come round 1.
  • Like 1