The Grand Final Thread

45HG

So the biggest day of 2012 has arrived (don't tell the new wife).

The more I think about it, the more I think this game shapes to be a cracker - especially if the weather continues the way it is heading.

So many great players lining up, many of whom seem to have been created for wet weather footy on Grand Final day.

Mithcell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Franklin, Roughead with surprisingly tough-nutted Shiels, Suckling, Smith, Gibson, Burgoyne.

Jack, Hannebury, O'Keefe, Gooes, Bolton, Kennedy, Mcveigh with Malceski, Shaw, Grundy, Mumford.

It just looks to be a cracking contest. Hawthorn's dominance up forward looks like it may be quelled by the weather - but I would never write-off a combination of Franklin and Roughead (especially with the added form of Gunston).

This looks to be the area that the Hawks have it over the Swans. With Reid and LRT not in the same league - yet they are favoured by the Hawks defensive concerns.

The battle (as usual) is in the middle.

Both mid-fields have plenty of ball-winning ability and, importantly, can kick goals. Sydney's probably kick more goals yet Hawthorn's will set more up. I have a feeling they will also kick a few more themselves than usual.

There's no way that Hawthorn will kick as badly as they did last week and I find it hard to go past them.... but not by much.

Hawks by 7 points.

I've never known so many Gen-Y Hawks supporters come out of the woodwork this year.

All born in the mid-to-late '80s, probably saw their first game during the pretty-boy era and turned their backs on the game soon after.

Now they're back in their droves. :lol:

Swans by a gajillion.

• Like 1

How any MFC supporter can want Hawthorn to win is beyond me....

To rank my least favourite:

1. Essendon

2. Hawthorn

3. Collingwood

4. The rest

Back to the game. It has all the ingredients to be a corker. Every time I watch the Swans my admiration for them increases. Contrasted against the insipid efforts by our team, the Swans embody everything I want in my team.

• Like 2

I respect both the Hawks and the Swans for different reasons and in different ways. My respect for the Swans extends to hoping they achieve success after doing it hard for so many years and then creating from within a culture of hardness and uncompromising pursuit of the team above the individual. The Hawks I respect for being up for so long (they've been up for four decades with 10 flags - can you even begin to imagine what that must be like?) but hate them for the way they go about it - my hate is probably half blinded by jealousy wishing we could do what they do (as well as 1987-88) but also in the arrogance of their supporters and club as a whole. But when you achieve what they have and create a culture of excellence you can afford to be arrogant.

I hope today that arrogance turns to hubris and they lose. Swans by 8 points.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

HATE Hawthorn. Arrogant flogs and spoiled whiny supporters. Massive bandwagoners too. Remember the crowd they got vs Port in 2004 at the G? Massive [censored] Kennett as President hilariously sold them to Tasmania. Bastardised club supported by clueless spoiled bandwagoners.

/sore spot

I will be barracking very hard for the Swannies this day. Hope they win by 1 point.

• Like 4

you didnt go to the last Melb \Hawth grand final did you?

It's just that everyone talks about the Swans and Moneyball, but the key element of Moneyball is that the Athletics had less money than their competitors, Sydney have more money!

They use the excuse of cost of living but on a world scale Sydney ranks 11th and Melbourne 15th, hardly justifies and extra 10% salary cap. By the way, Adelaide ranks 27th therefore they should have a smaller salary cap by Sydney's reasoning.

I do admire the culture and strong team environment the Swans have, but the draft and salary cap are the two single most important elements of the competition and Sydney's concessions completely undermine this.

• Like 2

HATE Hawthorn. Arrogant flogs and spoiled whiny supporters. Massive bandwagoners too. Remember the crowd they got vs Port in 2004 at the G? Massive [censored] Kennett as President hilariously sold them to Tasmania. Bastardised club supported by clueless spoiled bandwagoners.

/sore spot

I will be barracking very hard for the Swannies this day. Hope they win by 1 point.

you said it Geddy!!

It's just that everyone talks about the Swans and Moneyball, but the key element of Moneyball is that the Athletics had less money than their competitors, Sydney have more money!

They use the excuse of cost of living but on a world scale Sydney ranks 11th and Melbourne 15th, hardly justifies and extra 10% salary cap. By the way, Adelaide ranks 27th therefore they should have a smaller salary cap by Sydney's reasoning.

I do admire the culture and strong team environment the Swans have, but the draft and salary cap are the two single most important elements of the competition and Sydney's concessions completely undermine this.

how much bigger is their salary cap allowance??

An article in the Aged by Neeld on how the Swannies need to play to beat Hawks....then picks the Hawks lol.

Go Bloods !!!

Jetta to Goodes to Morton goal.

A sad goal .But a goal.

Relatively speaking.