FAREWELL STEFAN MARTIN - SEPTEMBER 2012

Guest Rassilon

Curry & Beer do you enjoy watching Melbourne getting pumped and then having players from other clubs saying we play bruise free football

Mate the facts are that we have given up 3 good young prospects for some mediocre types in the twilight of their career. We currently have 11 good players at this club - those 3 were not amongst them but they were certainly high on the list of candidates to get there in the next couple of years. Bloody hell we are in trouble.

If we're using all those late picks I just hope to God that we are aware of talent DEEP into this draft.

I sincerely hope having a stop-gap head of recruiting isn't gong to bite us on the bum! This draft, and the next, are crucial for our future. If we can uncover even just one jem ala another Tommy Mac, Swan, Hird (asking too much) I will consider this a win.

Mate the facts are that we have given up 3 good young prospects for some mediocre types in the twilight of their career. We currently have 11 good players at this club - those 3 were not amongst them but they were certainly high on the list of candidates to get there in the next couple of years. Bloody hell we are in trouble.

LOL!

This club and the posters here have moved past waiting for potential to come to fruition, get with the times.

If it's broken, fix it. Neeld is attempting to do that by moving on those that don't contribute and replacing them with players that will make an impact from day dot.

Day dot starts now. I am going to look forward to having a more competitive team, you can stew over the loss of prospects that never prospered if you like.

• Like 2

they are 21,22 and 25 - you can join me in stewing in a few years

So they are young, big deal. So is Viney. Compare application between the 4. Actually don't, it's too embarrassing to even contemplate.

Anyway best of luck to them. If they can make it in another outfit doesn't change the fact that they shown nothing with us- and that is all that matters.

Improve the list or die. I think that is my motto now. Yeah I like it!

• Like 1

Mate the facts are that we have given up 3 good young prospects for some mediocre types in the twilight of their career.

What three players were those?

Morton, Gysberts and Martin?

The first two are soft failures of high draft picks and Martin we moved on because he wouldn't have got a game. A back-up ruck who can't play forward is as useless as the proverbial bulltits.

I am annoyed because we couldn't get pick upgrades but losing these players means nothing to me. I am numb. They are failures and we have to live with that - but Mark Neeld evidently said 'yeah, but we don't have to have them on the list...'

We haven't had a good day, but this day was a few years in the making...

If Stuie reads this - do you believe my contacts about how the club sees Gysberts now?

As if I would make this crap up...

• Like 2

So they are young, big deal. So is Viney. Compare application between the 4. Actually don't, it's too embarrassing to even contemplate.

Anyway best of luck to them. If they can make it in another outfit doesn't change the fact that they shown nothing with us- and that is all that matters.

Improve the list or die. I think that is my motto now. Yeah I like it!

so in your mind Viney is a locked-in superstar - just like everyone said about Cale Morton this time 5 years ago. Will we laso be trading him for nothing in 3-5 years time if he hasn't set the world on fire? Surely you appreciate the contradiction in your logic

What three players were those?

Morton, Gysberts and Martin?

The first two are soft failures of high draft picks and Martin we moved on because he wouldn't have got a game. A back-up ruck who can't play forward is as useless as the proverbial bulltits.

I am annoyed because we couldn't get pick upgrades but losing these players means nothing to me. I am numb. They are failures and we have to live with that - but Mark Neeld evidently said 'yeah, but we don't have to have them on the list...'

We haven't had a good day, but this day was a few years in the making...

If Stuie reads this - do you believe my contacts about how the club sees Gysberts now?

As if I would make this crap up...

again, like so many others, you are talking about these players as if it is 2017, they are not 'spent' yet and these other clubs will be licking their lips. If it was Bate and Dunn in discussion I would share your opinion

Once we shopped these players hard in trade period there was no going back - the message is we don't want you even though you're in contract. If that the case it's the right thing to do to move Stefan Martin on.

again, like so many others, you are talking about these players as if it is 2017, they are not 'spent' yet and these other clubs will be licking their lips. If it was Bate and Dunn in discussion I would share your opinion

Damned if we do damned if we don't.

We could Newton* and Miller them and still be whinging in 2017.

Picket Fence need not reply.*

Damned if we do damned if we don't.

We could Newton* and Miller them and still be whinging in 2017.

Picket Fence need not reply.*

what would we have lost by investing another few years in these players? Three spots on the list for some 5th round draft picks that will never take the field for Melbourne. If they ended up being Newton and Millers so what

Let's see how they go and if their clubs will be licking their lips.

I'm worried about Brad Scott's lips.

what would we have lost by investing another few years in these players? Three spots on the list for some 5th round draft picks that will never take the field for Melbourne. If they ended up being Newton and Millers so what

So not only were they not getting a game, 2 of them were questionable trainers, one of them doesn't have a footy brain and the other is soft and mentally fragile.

So what, you're happy having 3 spots on the list being taken up by these types? I'm not.

Martin has been replaced by a footballer.

Morton has put everyone out of their misery, except Bluey, that's a win all round.

Gysberts, who knows, could go either way, but I'm tipping Neeld and Misson know the kid will never cut it.

Hoping gets us nowhere. Time to start doing.

• Like 1

Aren't you the bloke that wrote on another forum we just had to get games into these young players and we start to compete in finals??

3 good young prospects. Hardly. Gysberts maybe. Martin has had 4 years and Morton has been a bust for a long time.

Getting Clark gave Neeld some drafting/trading credibility, but losing Martin for 53 and 73 sounds weak to me. Martin and Moloney may end up amongst Brisbanes better players next year, and what'd we get for them again?

That would say more about Brisbane than us.

My guess is that they are making room for rookie elevations. Neeld obviously ranks the likes of Nicholson, Evans ,Magner and Couch higher than Morton, Gysberts and Martin.

Guest Hulkamania

Getting Clark gave Neeld some drafting/trading credibility, but losing Martin for 53 and 73 sounds weak to me. Martin and Moloney may end up amongst Brisbanes better players next year, and what'd we get for them again?

Moloney walked\ and we had no say in the compensation.

Martin was a PSD pick who couldn't get a regular game at a bottom 3 club. What do you expect to get int return for pocket change? Diamonds?

They may end up among Brisbanes better players. Right ... and Cale Morton might finish top three in the Eagles B&f.

Edited by Hulkamania
  • Like 1

They are not 'spent' but they have nothing to spend from what I can see.

There were not playing, they had issues with intensity, competitiveness, and the coach.

That is a recipe for being moved on.

As for Martin - we got an upgrade on our back-up ruck from what I can see.

Moloney walked\ and we had no say in the compensation.

Martin was a PSD pick who couldn't get a regular game at a bottom 3 club. What do you expect to get int return for pocket change? Diamonds?

They may end up among Brisbanes better players. Right ... and Cale Morton might finish top three in the Eagles B&f.

And it doesn't matter how they go at Brisbane and WCE. The better question is - how would they have gone at Melbourne in 2013 and beyond. Past performance is the best indicator we have. And certainly a much better indicator of where any player gets picked in the draft.

Not sure about this one, if it's true. When Jamar goes down with injury, who rucks? In my opinion i'd prefer Martin to Gawn or Spencer, I actually think he plays pretty well when forced to be the starting ruckman, and history shows we tend to need that from him for stags each year. God knows where Brisbane plans on playing him though. Bit strange all around in my book..