WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JESSE HOGAN

Scipio

"At 195 cm and 97.4 kg, Hogan ran a 20 metre sprint at the recent NAB AFL Draft Combine in 3.02 seconds - regarded as midfield standard. He also ran the three km time trial in 10 minutes 20 seconds.

Hogan also has great acceleration on the lead, and is a strong contested mark."

Weighs more than Cook and Watts put together.

Also did a beep test of 14.2 I think, which was equal 7th at the combine. Impressive for a big bloke

• Like 1

just a note: this kid is 3 years and 11 months younger than Jack Watts. Watts was drafted 4 years ago so it is a similar situation. He should be pretty well ready at the start of 2014, he'll have just turned 19. Note: Watts was 18 and 3 months in that highly-publicised debut. He only played 2 more games in 09.

I don't think they would do it because it may be considered draft tampering but maybe just maybe we gave them pick 13 and they gave us the choice at pick four of Toumpas or Wines or O'Rourke?

Possibly. But if that was the case why wouldn't we just trade them pick 4 instead of 3 - would give more legitimacy to the argument that we had to package it with 13 as well.

• Like 1

Possibly. But if that was the case why wouldn't we just trade them pick 4 instead of 3 - would give more legitimacy to the argument that we had to package it with 13 as well.

True but maybe they just wanted the psychological value of picks 1, 2 and 3, just a thought.

Edit for poor spelling.

Edited by RobbieF

how good is this - Jones, Viney, Trengove, Grimes, Sylvia and McKenzie feeding it to Clark, Hogan, Watts and hopefully Dawes

a lot of grit and sheer talent in that lot

sounds like a good way to win games of footy

PS when we were getting thumped every week and Scully pizzed off I was pretty downtrodden, if I only I had known we would be soon getting the absolute best inside mid and the absolute best power forward available, with another pick to go. So sweet.

Edited by Curry & Beer

just a note: this kid is 3 years and 11 months younger than Jack Watts. Watts was drafted 4 years ago so it is a similar situation. He should be pretty well ready at the start of 2014, he'll have just turned 19. Note: Watts was 18 and 3 months in that highly-publicised debut. He only played 2 more games in 09.

Good points, and a good argument for us getting Dawes as well (if possible).

Don't get me wrong I am very happy with players so far but I disagree on the massive unders bit for Hogan. 3 is a massive pick in this draft and the best available after GC gave pick 2 to GWS. I understand the side benefit but pick 3 to me is well worth a player who might slip next year, can't play for us next year and is taken then instead of say a Toumpas now. To add 13 for 20 even with Barry is overs in my view. The drop from 13 -20 will cost us possibly Kennedy or someone as good.

Nevertheless we have a potential star in Viney, another in Hogan, an exciting kid and pick 20 to use on probably Dawes. So I suppose if we said we would have Viney, Hogan, Dawes and Barry for 3,13 & 26 we would be happy.

Red le gi am saying that we rated Viney high enough to be pick 3 and GWS and GC were going to make us use pick 3 on Viney which we would have.

So Assuming we used Viney on pick 3 Hogan is unders having used pick 13 on him imo, is what actually happened.

We then got pick 20 as an upgrade and Dom Barry thrown in.

This is the way i see it personally.

Hogan was not the pick 3 part in this deal Viney was, and everything else Hogan pick 20 and Dom Barry were our upgrades.

We essentially got Hogan Pick 20 and Barry for picks 13 and 26 imo

• Like 3

For those freting about using pick 13 ect

From trade week we get a NET GAIN

we would have had to use pick 3 on Viney anyway, Then got Hogan at a bargain of pick 13, upgraded pick 26 to pick 20 and a free Zone selection player who was going in the second or third round.

So the net gain is large for us imo, Got massive unders for Hogan in the end and a nice upgrade and nice player in return.

forgive me but I don't get the logic - the Viney situation is mutually exclusive to the Hogan/Barry situation is it not? In the discussion of that deal in isolation haven't we used pick 3 on what would be about the same value next year, and downgraded 13 to 20 for the service of Barry? I'm happy but I don't get your reasoning for JV/Net gain

You do realize the Hogan would be a clear number 1 pick in next years draft,?

He is a Jonathan Brown clone who will be ready to play round 1, 2014.

If you think we got robbed on this deal you have got rocks in your head.

Hogan is not the best KPF next draft to my knowledge, but the actually best one who is said to be currently bigger than Patton as a 17yo WILL go number 1 and we have zero chance of getting him, i think it is Jake Billings?

Hogan was top 5 this far out and would have been higher once Martin, another U17 if he wasnt picked and Mcdonald Norths father son was picked.

Red le gi am saying that we rated Viney high enough to be pick 3 and GWS and GC were going to make us use pick 3 on Viney which we would have.

So Assuming we used Viney on pick 3 Hogan is unders having used pick 13 on him imo, is what actually happened.

We then got pick 20 as an upgrade and Dom Barry thrown in.

This is the way i see it personally.

Hogan was not the pick 3 part in this deal Viney was, and everything else Hogan pick 20 and Dom Barry were our upgrades.

We essentially got Hogan Pick 20 and Barry for picks 13 and 26 imo

but you are talking as if GC are somehow involved in all this, as if they were convinced not to nominate as part of this deal - they aren't, they didn't nominate because of the slight risk

but you are talking as if GC are somehow involved in all this, as if they were convinced not to nominate as part of this deal - they aren't, they didn't nominate because of the slight risk

They were, GWS gave them and end of first round selection for pick 2.......and a crappy third round selection

Edited by Jordie_tackles

This is good news indeed.

Im feeling proud of the MFC in this years trade period.

Feels like theres a bit of grunt there.

Hogan looks great, i don't care that he's not available til 014, and Barry looks great as well.

With the addition of byrnes and viney and these 2 lads, not to mention we still have a bunch of other picks up our sleeves, we should see a much better performance next year.

At the very least it will be exiting! :)

• Like 1

I just want to thank our recruiting / coaching staff. Every contributor to Demonland knows that we have been cellar-dwellers for way too long, and a clear plan for the future and an associated injection of talent is essential if we are to move forward in a very tough competition. It seems to me that after only two days of the trade period we have already ticked a couple of critical boxes in the plan. Clearly it's too early to congratulate our recruitment / coaching staff (that can't come for a year or two yet), but by jees, I have more confidence in the direction and the path that we are now taking than I have for a bloody long time!

• Like 1

Hogan is not the best KPF next draft to my knowledge, but the actually best one who is said to be currently bigger than Patton as a 17yo WILL go number 1 and we have zero chance of getting him, i think it is Jake Billings?

Hogan was top 5 this far out and would have been higher once Martin, another U17 if he wasnt picked and Mcdonald Norths father son was picked.

Jack Billings is a small goal kicking midfielder with heaps of promise, Tom Boyd would be who you're thinking of dominated the TAC cup as a 16 year old who makes Hogan look small, he's 198cm and 100kg.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.