WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JESSE HOGAN

Scipio

Still is not official, really hope we didn't use pick 13 as well, loved the look of garlett.

Taken from the AFL website:

Jesse Hogan, Claremont, 12 February 1995, 193cm, 91kg

Jesse is a powerful key forward/defender in the mould of Jonathan Brown. He's good overhead and very explosive off the mark for his size. We almost considered playing him in our under-18s team as a 16-year-old. He'd be in the top two or three players in the WAFL colts competition. He falls into the GWS mini-draft pool.

So do people think it is worth giving up pick 3 or 4 for a mini draft pick to draft him? I think he sounds great but the only issue to me is the extra years wait. Of course we could pick up a mature bodied (serviceable) forward to fill the gap for a couple of years.. so what do you think?

Also does anyone know where I can find footage of him on the net?

I'm definitely warming to the idea of drafting The Hulk. From what I've seen and read about him he's exactly the kind of forward we're looking for. He's a tireless worker who covers a heap of ground and attacks the ball in the air and on the ground, the only knock on Hogan is his set shots which should improve once getting into the AFL system. For those on here that go on about how we missed out on Hurley or Darling well this is our chance to get that sort of player into our team.

• Like 2

Google + 'Jesse Hogan' + 'youtube'

Can only seem to find articles and youtube is all other athletes and people with the same name, care to share a link if you have any footage handy?

I like the sounds of this kid! Although we must ask is he simply so good because of his shear size at the age. Look back at James Sellar (he too matured very early) and at the age of 16 & 17 he and Gibbs were touted as the potential top 2 picks. Obviously he slid and as a smaller ruckman he struggled at Adelaide.

Furthermore is it a risk considering he is a WA boy? Of course if the talent is there you take it and you maintain their interest at the club but compare this kid to Jake Stringer, at the same age he too was considered in the top 3. Needless to say I would be stoked with Hogan OR Stringer (or both if possible) as split packing forwards/ defenders alongside Toumpas (outside mid) and Viney (inside mid).

Here is a vid (~2:50 he comes on)

I saw him play in the WA v Vic Metro game on TV this year. I gotta say my impression was that he looked a lot bigger than all the other kids, n I didn't get that feeling he'd be a gun at the next level. I watch hardly any under age footy tho, so I'm a long way from an expert on this stuff.

I'm not sold on the merit of trading a pick 4 in this years draft for a potential top 4 pick in next years draft. It just doesn't sound logical to me. A lot usually changes at the pointy end of the draft from the bottom age year to the top age year. Names I can think of who rose or slid off the top of my head are:

Jack Trengove

John Butcher

Jack Watts

Stephen Hill

Jack Darling

Paul Johnson

Tom Swift

Mitch Clark

Beau Dowler

• Like 1

I want this kid. He is a pack marking forward. We have one in our team right now. He is fit for his size as he did pinch hit in the midfield for W.A. He may be bigger then other kids but he will be bigger then most men in the A.F.L. He will be 100kg in his 20's.

Get him.

Jesse Hogan = MFC pick 3 trade in Mini Draft ... lock it in. Maybe we pinch back their 3rd round pick around number 43.

Would have thought pick 4 at worst, as only one live club with a pick better and if it goes to Crows for Tippett, as I have said a few times, they will take Toumpas or Grundy. We are therefore in the box seat to deal with GWS if we want an U17 player and that will guarantee them not naming JV as a bonus.

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good point- If Adelaide lose Tippet the chance of them risking their first pick on Viney goes down. Their need for a replacement tall precludes them from bidding on him. All we'll have to do is satisfy GWS, and we can do that by offering pick 3 instead of pick 4 for the MD pick 1.

We have a major need for Hogan, but then there's Martin.. wow.. if that kid doesn't end up an absolute STAR I don't know what kid will!

• Like 1

Yeah that's a good point- If Adelaide lose Tippet the chance of them risking their first pick on Viney goes down. Their need for a replacement tall precludes them from bidding on him. All we'll have to do is satisfy GWS, and we can do that by offering pick 3 instead of pick 4 for the MD pick 1.

We have a major need for Hogan, but then there's Martin.. wow.. if that kid doesn't end up an absolute STAR I don't know what kid will!

The bidding for F/S happens before Trade Week.

Adelaide is a non-player here.

That is why I would be tempted to try and do a deal to get both picks. If we gave pick 4 and a player or two with one being a ruckman, that could get the deal done. Lets say we could steer Martin or Spencer to GWS and say Petterd or Bate or both. GWS need some hard bodies and most importantly need a ruckman even more so if Giles walks. If this sort of deal eventuated, we would have to be patient, as we would have two potential guns coming in a year to add to that year's first round pick. We could still get Toumpas or Grundy at 3, someone good at 13 and JV later. Pick 13 and a player could still be used to deal with GC for some of their mids. We also have salary cap room to target FA's. We would be in a strong position to really change the list.

• Like 1