The Club's Intentions - Trade/Draft

Hells Gates

What basis is Stringer considered to be such a high pick? his U18 championship stats appeared very average, not sure if he averaged more than 10 disposals for the whole championships. How is he considered to be a top 10 draft pick even top 20 on the basis of one TAC game?

Are we any chance to Quinten Lynch for KPP?

he's only 192 cm but he's 103 kg and is an absolute tank! watching his highlight reel and monsters a lot of his opponents.

hes 29 and a Free agent - maybe a 2 year deal? Would give any young draftees some time to mature

not sure of his physical state though... does any one know

Does any one think he'll be a good fit?

I do and have the same thoughts expressed over on the drafting board

http://www.sportsnew...ers-demon-move/

I know its from sports new first, but Angus Monfries.. Really LOL? Didn't see this one coming if true

What's more interesting (taking it with a grain of salt as it's SNF) is this line: The Demons are believed to have secured a handy small forward with crucial opportunist goal kicking as a serious appeal and are waiting for a chance to announce their new signing.

On the others, Monfries AND Pearce, two soft players, I'd be surprised honestly if they were the sort Neeld would be after

I think we should take Stringer at #4 to be honest. I think he is to good to risk letting him fall to #13

If we take the best available I would snap him up at 4 but his injury has clouded things.

He has the mass of a bull and will be ready from Round One. But the broken leg has defanged his pace, spurt and leap. It took Blease two years to get over his compound fracture fully; for Stringer it'll be two years since in April.

He can get away with being slow and sluggish in the VFL but lacking that run & spread could prevent him from starting in the big league.

Does it matter much, though? I think he's a tremendous talent - one of the best in the draft. The Bulldogs are keen and so should Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton. If he lasts to pick 13 I'll do a little dance. Imagine him being taken by Brisbane or Carlton and by 2014 turning heads and tearing up the park? I don't.

Edited by Deers

What's more interesting (taking it with a grain of salt as it's SNF) is this line: The Demons are believed to have secured a handy small forward with crucial opportunist goal kicking as a serious appeal and are waiting for a chance to announce their new signing.

On the others, Monfries AND Pearce, two soft players, I'd be surprised honestly if they were the sort Neeld would be after

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31492-angus-wantsfrees/page__pid__626579#entry626579

I believed it has value for it's own thread. Discuss here?

http://www.sportsnew...ers-demon-move/

I know its from sports new first, but Angus Monfries.. Really LOL? Didn't see this one coming if true

Not the most reputable news source going around (sports news first that is) but I'll physically spew if he comes to melbourne, can't stand him as a player. I'd rather Juice Newton back on the books.

• Like 1

What basis is Stringer considered to be such a high pick? his U18 championship stats appeared very average, not sure if he averaged more than 10 disposals for the whole championships. How is he considered to be a top 10 draft pick even top 20 on the basis of one TAC game?

I would like him but not top 12. You'd hope that a top 12 Pick would be an immediate player with no health risks.

If we take the best available I would snap him up at 4 but his injury has clouded things.

He has the mass of a bull and will be ready from Round One. But the broken leg has defanged his pace, spurt and leap. It took Blease two years to get over his compound fracture fully; for Stringer it'll be two years since in April.

He can get away with being slow and sluggish in the VFL but lacking that run & spread could prevent him from starting in the big league.

Does it matter much, though? I think he's a tremendous talent - one of the best in the draft. The Bulldogs are keen and so should Brisbane, Richmond and Carlton. If he lasts to pick 13 I'll do a little dance. Imagine him being taken by Brisbane or Carlton and by 2014 turning heads and tearing up the park? I don't.

I don't want us to be in the position the Hawks & Bombers were in with Dowler/Gumbleton...

Stringer maybe mid to later in the 1st Rnd? Or after that.

HG, interesting stuff as usual. You noted early in the season, and again more recently that Neeld had gone very hard early on and may well have 'lost' some players. I shared those concerns early on, was prepared to wait and see but certainly he took a pretty full on approach that carries a great deal of risk.

But i have changed my mind on this recently. I suspect that Neeld knew right from the get go he would be ruthless with cutting players etc at the end of this season and i think had a pretty good idea how few players were up to his requirements. Cutting Cook (which i just found out about and was pretty bloody surprised about - but it is an incredibly gutsy call) is an example of how ruthless he will be.

Given this, a full on approach perhaps was necessary - no point building strong relationships with players who you are going to axe, in no small part due the risk they might want to stay (eg Moloney). If that means losing someone like Rivers then so be it. Perhaps he was prepared to be hated by his players (and perhaps even feared) if that is what it takes to turn this club around. Taking that approach takes some courage, particulalry as a first time coach who if he fails at Melbourne may well never coach senior footy again. One presumes he has the backing of the board with this approach.

This is a root and branch rebuild and it is absolutely necessary. He can start building a strong interpersonal relationship with his acolytes, a point made well by a poster somewhere in this thread. He needs a team who play for him and do whatever is asked of him. A team of Neeldbots.

As you point out a there are massive risks with this approach, not least of which being not getting good enough players but also that enough players won't buy in. But in my view it would be a greater risk to keep any players on the list who are not 100% committed to Neeld's vision.

This is such a crucial trading period. I share your concerns but perhaps am a little more confident about our capacity to attract senior players as i suspect some players will be sold by Neeld's fanaticism, despite the rumblings of discontent from exiting and even some players who are staying. I'm sure also that the thoroughness you talk about will net us a WAFL, VFL or SANFL player who will come straight into the side and buy into the Neeld regime.

Really good post binman

I am keen to see what Neeld has up his sleeve this offseason...

Fark, lets just offer chappy a 4 year deal with years 3and4 as a training officer/mentor/runner (very specifically avoid calling him an assistant coach)

For the 2years he plays he would be in prob our top 5 and afterwards...you want a strong culture of not backing down from hard work or a fight then chappy is the man for the job

• Like 3

HG, interesting stuff as usual. You noted early in the season, and again more recently that Neeld had gone very hard early on and may well have 'lost' some players. I shared those concerns early on, was prepared to wait and see but certainly he took a pretty full on approach that carries a great deal of risk.

But i have changed my mind on this recently. I suspect that Neeld knew right from the get go he would be ruthless with cutting players etc at the end of this season and i think had a pretty good idea how few players were up to his requirements. Cutting Cook (which i just found out about and was pretty bloody surprised about - but it is an incredibly gutsy call) is an example of how ruthless he will be.

Given this, a full on approach perhaps was necessary - no point building strong relationships with players who you are going to axe, in no small part due the risk they might want to stay (eg Moloney). If that means losing someone like Rivers then so be it. Perhaps he was prepared to be hated by his players (and perhaps even feared) if that is what it takes to turn this club around. Taking that approach takes some courage, particulalry as a first time coach who if he fails at Melbourne may well never coach senior footy again. One presumes he has the backing of the board with this approach.

This is a root and branch rebuild and it is absolutely necessary. He can start building a strong interpersonal relationship with his acolytes, a point made well by a poster somewhere in this thread. He needs a team who play for him and do whatever is asked of him. A team of Neeldbots.

As you point out a there are massive risks with this approach, not least of which being not getting good enough players but also that enough players won't buy in. But in my view it would be a greater risk to keep any players on the list who are not 100% committed to Neeld's vision.

This is such a crucial trading period. I share your concerns but perhaps am a little more confident about our capacity to attract senior players as i suspect some players will be sold by Neeld's fanaticism, despite the rumblings of discontent from exiting and even some players who are staying. I'm sure also that the thoroughness you talk about will net us a WAFL, VFL or SANFL player who will come straight into the side and buy into the Neeld regime.

Super post binman. Agree 100%

Sorry, but surely we're not expecting the likes of Monfries, Lynch & Pearce to take us into the top 8, let alone a premiership.

That doesn't necessarily mean picking them up is a waste of time. Lynch would be a great fit for a couple of years and if we end up with Hogan, Lynch can occupy a spot up forward and pass the baton along to the youngster. It fits with what Neeld did taking Sellar, in making sure we have players who can allow Melbourne to play the style Neeld wants. He only made three list changes last year so he's got the chance to shape the list more to his liking now. Pearce is 26. As for Monfries, I don't know about getting him specifically, but we need a small forward.

Basically what I already knew or expected to happen.

Not sure what experienced players the club can attract now. Cloke's pay expectations were quite clearly a turnoff for the club.

Or Hogan-talk is misdirection.

Mick Malthouse has said many times that the Collingwood team was "his team", he built it and nurtured it and won a flag with it. He grew close to the players and they were as one; I would imagine that when Neeld took the job at Melbourne, the first bit of advice that Mick would have given him was to do exactly the same.

So I agree with you he will choose his own players and make this team his own.

Every coach does this though really.