Petterd set to leave ...

whitito

I think de-listing players or putting them on trade table early is a stroke of genius.

No other clubs are doing it so it putting us ahead of the pack. Managers can go shopping for them already and get value for players we would have thought previously untradeable such as Cook.

Ideally the players managers are doing alott of work for us as they want to look after the players and by doing that it would be to find a suitable home with a suitable trade scenario that works both ways.

Other teams know whats on the table now so they can formulate their own scenarios around these plays in order to secure them without any other team having players on the table yet.

The rumors players are unhappy is probably true, hell id be pretty unhappy if i was about to be sacked to.

What I find funny is the players who are happy and are putting in / buying in have all re-signed.

The ones rumoured to be unhappy with Neeld are all of the ones who don't seem to want to put in

• Like 3

I agree Neeld should not be bagged and there is no point in doing so in any event. However, given our 2012 season and those players who have freely indicated either their intention to leave or rumoured dissatisfaction, I would suggest it is not unreasonable for supporters to become somewhat anxious and jittery.

With that in mind, the only criticism I would level at the club is its current silence. Supporters need to hear something POSITIVE right now. I am of the view that the administration all too often is not as proactive as it could be in communication with its members, when things, at least on face value, look bleak.

Waiting.........................................................................................

Don't worry Iva, if you are jittery the drug trolley will be visiting soon.

During the off season your daily dosage will be upped so as the days slide past easier....

I agree Neeld should not be bagged and there is no point in doing so in any event. However, given our 2012 season and those players who have freely indicated either their intention to leave or rumoured dissatisfaction, I would suggest it is not unreasonable for supporters to become somewhat anxious and jittery.

With that in mind, the only criticism I would level at the club is its current silence. Supporters need to hear something POSITIVE right now. I am of the view that the administration all too often is not as proactive as it could be in communication with its members, when things, at least on face value, look bleak.

Waiting.........................................................................................

For every Ricky Petterd or Brent Moloney that appeared to have spat the dummy on exit, there's a Nathan Jones, Jack Grimes and Mitch Clark who appear to have complete "buy in" and are giving it everything to make it work. Even if you may not agree with giving Jamar three years, the fact that he wanted that in the face of all that is going on at the club as well as plenty of outside interest says that not everybody has cracked the sads.

It can be nerve wracking to hear that there are dummy spits, but I'm hopeful and reasonably confident that it's only personalities we don't want making all the noises.

• Like 4

Iva, I like a bit of club communication too, but I think silence is better here. Having to send an email to supporters now smells of panic or damage control, whereas I don't think there is anything wrong or outrageous about what we're doing. So I'm not sure what they would communicate to us, unless it was to inform us that our bonus membership item next year is a brown paper bag to wear over our heads to games next year.

Er yes to the first part at least ... Jonesy has been on a steady improve for 3 seasons now.

Possibly the new regime has helped him but they cant take the credit for his heart n soul approach bearing fruit.

Mind you if there are 15 who want out it wouldnt suprise me in the least, Hopefully only a couple of those are players that matter and they may get MFC a trade for some talented masochists from a club rich with the results of previous years of competant drafting

So 15 players who have acheived 0 so far as a team "want out" is an issue because?

What I find funny is the players who are happy and are putting in / buying in have all re-signed.

The ones rumoured to be unhappy with Neeld are all of the ones who don't seem to want to put in

Its one way to sort them all out hey !!

Neeld said from the outset he wasnt interested in words but only in actions. He would judge all by their actions. Some have made it ridiculously easy as the year progressed ^_^

• Like 1

When players like Grimes, Trengove, Clark and Jones are putting in for the coach you know the club's on the right track.

When the likes of Moloney, Cook, possibly Gysberts and Petterd aren't up for it the bar has finally been set high enough.

If you can't notice the difference between those sets of players then I can't help

• Like 4

Its one way to sort them all out hey !!

Neeld said from the outset he wasnt interested in words but only in actions. He would judge all by their actions. Some have made it ridiculously easy as the year progressed ^_^

I just find it infurating that we as a club have been [censored] for 50 years.

We have had a culture of the tail wagging the dog.

We've held on to "potential" for 2 seasons to long until it's untradeable.

We've maintained the status quo for so bloody long.

We've accepted players so they can earn their super.

We've drafted poorly.

We've developed poorly.

Finally we get a coaching team, all from elite environments, who can spot the shoulda-nevas, gunna-nevas etc. and will make the ballsy decision to clear them, and somehow it's their fault.

The players Neeld wants have all bought in and re-signed.

The rest are weak and have always been weak. And they can [censored] off

I no longer care who is kept / cut / traded.

Our current crop certainly have nothing to hang their hats on

• Like 3

I like a bit of club communication too, but I think silence is better here.

I want the club to clean out the list with due process over the next month or two, then set about drafting as best they can. I don't want poor communication that panders to the impatience of a few supporters.

Remember that there are player's welfare, 'exits' and futures to be considered, that are more important than us simply finding out.

Bunker down. The coach did warn us.

Correct ....... can't see what the problem is.

We will probably want to promote 3 rookies ( Nicholson. Evans and Magner) and use 5 to 6 picks ( including 3 in the first round). That means creating 8 or 9 vacancies ie delisting 8 or 9 players.

Lets be realistic. Blokes who couldn't get a regular game in a bottom side aren't going to command much of a price in trade week - and player swaps don't create any free space. How angry would we be as supporters if we only added 3 new players to our main list?

Green has retired, Moloney is using free agency and Jurrah doesn't want to leave home ( Adelaide). 6 more to go. Petterd who had a shocking 2012( after being dropped by Bailey in 2011) is logically one of them. End of story.

Keep doing your job Harrington - manage that list - at least 4 or 5 more to go

• Like 1

Don't chuck it in mate! Have you heard of the ban list? The source of your lengthy post was the first name on it for me.

Mine runs 50 deep, with names constantly being added. It makes this site so much more pleasant to read.

50 names!

That's quite a few...

The other funny thing is that those who complain about how awful our performances have been this year also rave about how wonderful a coach Neeld is.

Please direct me to anyone who has said Neeld is a wonderful coach ???

I think you have misread what Neeld supporters are on about - so I will try to make it clear and I think others may support the view.

Most Neeld supporters would tell you that the jury is still out on whether he can actually coach or not however what is making us (me?) support him is his no nonsense approach to players. At various stages Green,Davey, Moloney,Petterd and others have not done as required and what do you know - back to Casey they go. Best and Fairest's, leading goalkickers, captaincy and loyal service mean nothing to him - play it his way or out you go. We are now witnessing the same actions at the end of the season - Neeld has looked at players for a year and some will be in his plans going forward and others will be shown the door.

Daniher at the end of his reign played favourites - great stalwarts like Jeff White who were not contributing at the end of their careers still got games. Bailey IMO was too soft on everyone. Nurturing is one thing but his approach certainly did not nurture a hard edge.

So we have had a lifetime of mediocrity and in comes a coach whose message I read as "no more". We were putrid this year and I am tipping 25% of the list will be turned over.

Can Neeld coach ? Who knows. What I do like is he is not going to die wondering. He will have Neeld players next year and whilst I am not expecting a finals berth I am hopeful of seeing why he has taken the approach he has. Why he has chosen not to take an easy option and give players who he doesnt see in our future more time to see how they turn out. I am sure one or two will bite us in the arse but thats football. I like the direction he is taking and look forward to all Neeld supporters getting the answer as to whether he can actually coach or not.

As an addendum I am a believer that a coach may be able to get more out of a player but 95% of a player improving comes from a player wanting to get the best out of himself. To blame a coach for Petterd and Moloney stinking it up is to remove blame from where the blame should be 100% directed.

• Like 16

People need to stop turning against players, just because Neeld doesn't like them (and who knows what goes on inside that man's head). At least Petterd could kick 1-2 goals a game regularly, and lead well at the footy with a fair bit of pace. His disposal wasn't too bad either and he was hard at the ball. We needed a capable small forward in our team all year and he was constantly overlooked. I enjoyed watching him play and he was a great guy when I met him. It'll be a shame if he goes.

He averaged 1.06 goals a game at MFC, his highest goal total was 19 in 2009

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-melbourne-demons--ricky-petterd

Edited by Cards13

Good post nutbean. It's the lack of grey area that resonates with me - it seems from these early tasters that it's black and white whether you reached the standard or not with very few ifs and buts.

What happens with Gysberts will be instructive. I'm itching to find out.

• Like 1

Bunker down. The coach did warn us.

That he did WYL, but I doubt, behind closed doors, he would be as silent as the club seems to be right now. I understand that some on here would believe that is the way it should be and to communicate to supporters now may only serve to exacerbate any anxiety among members, but it was not all that long ago that the club went to its heartland and asked for more money, with the justification that we can sure up our position and bargaining position come trade time.

However, I doubt that the club can keep going to the well, without clearly articulating our position and vision for the future.

I am reasonably comfortable with where we sit right now, under current circumstances, but I doubt that everyone else feels the same way.

Very good post Nutbean. You make some very good and well made points. No doubt that Neeld is a no-nonsence coach, which is refreshing after Danners and Bailey.

My problem is that he has done absolutley nothing to suggest he can coach, thankfully Neil Craig is also around which can help us in this department.

My problem is that he has done absolutley nothing to suggest he can coach, thankfully Neil Craig is also around which can help us in this department.

What does this mean? Surely setting the playing standard and turfing out those who don't meet it is part of "coaching"?!

• Like 1

What does this mean? Surely setting the playing standard and turfing out those who don't meet it is part of "coaching"?!

It is part of coaching but I get what DemonWA is saying - we have seen a lift in few footballers - Jones and Howe to mention a couple but by the same token we have seen Moloney go backwards from last year.

A good house requires good solid foundations and at the moment Neeld is digging trenches to lay the foundations. It does remain to be seen whether he can go to the next level - build a good house and coach it to success.

I think coaching us to

• pick 3 and 4 without generating the ire of the vultures in the meda,
  • while also sorting the wheat from the chaff, and
  • establishing a new higher performance standard, and
  • bedding down the FD, while
  • redirecting the players to a more contested defencive game plan...

Ticks a number of coaching boxes for me...

• Like 2

And all this in a year when

• our beloved President passed on, and
  • our top goal kicker from the previous year, had "family issues" resulting him playing one game, and
  • our B&F winner from the previous year had a season long tanty
  • etc...

Neeld has shown amazing focus and resilience.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 3

And all this in a year when

• our beloved President passed on, and
  • our top goal kicker from the previous year, had "family issues" resulting him playing one game, and
  • our B&F winner from the previous year had a season long tanty
  • etc...

Neeld has shown amazing focus and resilience.

http://youtu.be/vtvT-H4Du9A

• Like 2