Free Agents 2013 ... Latest News

Range Rover

I will put this here.

LIST OF FREE AGENTS STILL AVAILABLE

Midfielders

UFA - Russell, Dyson, Slattery, Enright, Young, Osborne, Firrito, Salopek, Surjan, Tuck, Hayes, Montagna, Moore, Embley, Nicoski

RFA - Scotland, Pearce, Foley, Goddard

Forwards

UFA - Knights, McGrath, Byrnes, Ebert, Koschitzke, Milne, Lynch

RFA - Cloke, Monfries

Defenders

UFA - Thornton, Johnson, Lovett-Murray, McVeigh, McPharlin, Hunt, Murphy, Clarke

RFA - Drummond, O'Brien, Chaplin, McGuane, Gram

Rucks

UFA - Hille, Blake, Minson

RFA - N/A

MFC Not Interested.

Player Re-Signed or Retired.

Edited by rpfc

I will put this here.

LIST OF FREE AGENTS STILL AVAILABLE

Midfielders

UFA - Enright, Young, Hayes, Montagna, Moore, Nicoski

RFA - Pearce, Goddard

Forwards

UFA - Knights, McGrath, Byrnes, Ebert, Lynch

RFA - Cloke

Defenders

RFA - Drummond, Gram

These are the ones I would be interested in.

Top 10 in order of preference:

1. Motagna

2. Cloke

3. Goddard

4. Hayes

5. Enright

6. Lynch

7. Young

8. Nicoski

9. Pearce

10. McGrath

Edited by rpfc

Goddard

hayes

enright

young

Cloke

mcgrath

hayes enright mcgrath would be very hard to shift...very deep roots at their respective clubbs

goddard would be a coup at least equal to mitch clark

cloke would be a massive financial burden and once his term was up he would be whoring himself off again and creatong more disharmony whilst being a detrament to his on field contributions

Young is an interesting proposition...could be a touch of steady coming off half back, and if he can bring some of clarksons emphisis on accurate kicking with him then all the better

Guest King Cuthbertson

Clinton Young would be a good get. But he's played well this year and overcome injury concerns, and would want to stay at Hawthorn i'm assuming. Cloke's the obvious target, but wasn't it being said that we'd been priced out of the bidding?? A lot of those players will resign with their respective clubs in all likelihood.

One player, and i know he's not exactly Gary Ablett Jr. but Ricky Dyson from Essendon is someone Dons fans were giving a big wrap early on the season when Essendon were winning. They said that he was the architect behind a lot of the quality ball movement coming out of the back half. He's got good leg speed and a nice kick on him...He's got a bit of competition because Essendon have a number of those outside running types, but considering how abysmal our ball movement has been out of the back half, we could do worse on a free transfer. Right??

Anyone extolling the virtues of Salopek needs to have a good look at the bruise-free footy he likes to play. Absolutely not.

From the list of those still available:

Cloke

Goddard

Young

Pearce

Knights

Byrnes

Are the most likely to be on the move and on demand you'd think.

I've totally come around to the idea of Cloke. Costs is nothing other than salary cap - and it might as well be someone who takes more contested marks in the comp that we pay the big bucks to instead of the plethora of pedestrian players that blight our current list.

Guest King Cuthbertson

If Carlton and Fremantle are putting up similar bids, I just don' t see him picking us. Cloke would be a brilliant signing of course, and i'd ignore this season's form. He's the best contested mark in the game, and can ping them from anywhere within 65 metres. He'd take a lot of heat off Mitch Clark and bring the small fwd's into the game.

Anyone extolling the virtues of Salopek needs to have a good look at the bruise-free footy he likes to play. Absolutely not.

Cloke

Goddard

Young

Pearce

Knights

Byrnes

I've totally come around to the idea of Cloke. Costs is nothing other than salary cap - and it might as well be someone who takes more contested marks in the comp that we pay the big bucks to instead of the plethora of pedestrian players that blight our current list.

I'd be interested in Cloke,,, Scotland & Foley.

I definitely don't want Montagna.

Cloke

Goddard

Young

Pearce

Knights

Byrnes

Is that Clinton Young? He would be a good pick up I think, some good run and disposal and finals experience wouldn't go astray. Goddard wouldn't be a realistic chance IMO and Cloke would be nice as long as it isn't on a 7 year deal which is just ridiculous.

You would need to consider what we offer to attract players. In all honesty, we got Mitch Clark based on $$'s. We cannot offer what the the Tigers, Blues, Kangas can ... the chance to play in finals and be part of a successful program, or or the top teams hawks, Magpies etc ... who offer the ultimate Premiership hope in the next few years.

Maybe we can offer a chance to play regular AFL footy. Might attract Quinten Lynch if Cloke stays at Magpie land.

Yes, Clinton Young.

Can't see Foley or Scotland leaving their respective sides.

Young has played a few good ones this year. Best was against Freo back in round 8 this year. His other better games have been against weak opposition.

Has got the skills and is obviously up against stiff competition for a spot.

Mature body would be nice and would definitely be in our 22.

We cannot offer what the the Tigers can ... the chance to play in finals and be part of a successful program.

Since 1982, Richmond has made the finals twice. Fitzroy has appeared in more finals series since then. No finals appearances since 2001. But with Richmond, there's always the 'chance' to play finals next year I guess. We are obviously pretty crook right now, but don't think things can't turn around quicker than expected with a good offseason.

• Like 1

What we need right now is some 'Ready to go' A grade talent . To me it doesn't matter if these free agents have only got 2 or 3 years left . Free agency is an 'Every year' thing so we can dip our toes in anytime . Obviously we need midfielders but 'Best avalable' A graders might have to do for now . Just get 'em .

We will be spending approx 9.14 million in salaries yet we haven't had a player have a 'A' grade year in quite some time . Jones has been great this year and Frawley's AA 2010 year was terrific but our club needs a serious injection of class . If we can't get enough or any A graders then the B+ types would still be a step up .

North Melbourne picked up two 29yo's and a 31yo at the end of 1972 under the 10 year rule (a kind of free agency) . Those 3 players (Barry Davis , John Rantall and Doug Wade) helped turn that club around in a very short space of time . They went from a basket case in 1972 to playing in 5 consecutive grand finals from 1974 onwards . They also brought in a lot of talent from interstate which helped their cause . And .....RDB helped , of course !

We should go hard at the available free agents this year with a view to doing the same next year and beyond .

Better to spend the 9.14 million on some real talent rather than some...................not so great talent . The Hawks , Pies , Cats and Swans all spend around about the same 9.14 million dollars in their salary cap's . And look at the talent on those lists . A fair whack of A graders (20?) and at least as many B+ types .

We haven't drafted or developed enough A grade or B+ players . Nowhere near enough . Free agency gives us a 2nd chance . We should also look to trade with the GCS .

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

You would need to consider what we offer to attract players. In all honesty, we got Mitch Clark based on $$'s. We cannot offer what the the Tigers, Blues, Kangas can ... the chance to play in finals and be part of a successful program, or or the top teams hawks, Magpies etc ... who offer the ultimate Premiership hope in the next few years.

Maybe we can offer a chance to play regular AFL footy. Might attract Quinten Lynch if Cloke stays at Magpie land.

i wouldn't say the tigers are a lock for the opportunity to play in finals. they have the worst record in the league over the last thirty plus years in terms of finals appearances. ours is much better.