MFC's Poor Drafting.

Redleg

Again for me it comes back to the culture of the place.

If we want to eradicate this Soft approach to club & recruits, we may need to continue to look outside of our own clubs former players to acquire the hardened edge.

Just as we did with Checker Hughes.

As we did with Slug, & wasn't he terribly disliked by the MCC members.

As we've done with Neeld & co...

But we have to start recruiting strong headed kids with some aggro to match their skills.

I really hope this Taylor bloke has some cohonas & I'd love to have Matty Rendell with us.

But who will sing in the choir dee-luded?

Thanks for sharing. I think all clubs would have their success stories of the odd gem selected outside the top 25 or so. Where we've fallen down is using our top 20 picks. If we just look at prendergast's time, he's had picks 1, 1, 2, 11, 12, 17, 18 and 19 to work with in the space of three years, and failed to draft a superstar with that haul. That's where you are supposed to get your best players, and he made an absolute meal of it. Sure, we don't know how good some of them are going to be, but the fact that we are still wondering that about players after four years (watts, Strauss, blease) is a worry. Cook was probably the second worst pick in club history behind Molan. Gysberts has looked promising but through injury or whatever failed facets of his game has been spilled in the paper as trade bait. I don't know if it counts for or against BP, but besides Trengove and possibly Watts, all of those picks have had a fair by of injury to deal with.

Yes, he's nailed Howe and McDonald, but there were plenty of later picks that haven't come on, and the addition of these two hasn't compensated for his performance drafting inside the top 20. As much as CC's idea sounds fair, we have to demand more. Other clubs are nailing their top picks and finding the odd gem.

FCS getting back to Molan -- it seems to be CAC's fault that he didn't foresee him (a) breaking his leg in his first season then (B) some equally disabling shoulder injury in his comeback game. I never saw Molan play, and I doubt if the many here who so vehemently condemn him did because he had an incredibly unfortunate succession of injuries that totally destroyed his career before it has a chance to start. Is that poor recruiting?? Should we not have recruited Paul Prymke because he stuffed his back, or Ox because he did his knee three times - shocking foresight by the recruiters there.

Cook certainly is a disappointment, but remember none other than the recruiting guru, Sheahan rated him very highly but as recruiting is a very inexact discipline I guess some always don't work out.

Hell, who was the moronic recruiter who overlooked Hird at ?70, or Grant at 99 or thereabouts. If the idiot saw both of them we could be a very different story.

It must be just a wonderful feeling being perfect.

• Like 1

To put things into perspective, below is a comment on Melbourne’s draftees made by an opposition club recruiter after draft day each year. Going by this some good picks, some bad at the time, some wrong opinions at the time some correct. Some too early to tell.

Pick 36. I was actually a fan of Taggert. I thought he would make a great rookie. Good size, good speed and a great kick. He just never worked hard enough. Some nice cameos at times throughout the year but I always wanted him to do more and he rarely did. 1/4 here and 1/4 there. I think Curran or Lockyer was a better pick for you guys.

Pick 52. Big, big fan of Josh. I had him at 29. Kind of kid you would go to war with. Gives his all every minute of every game. Good pick at 52.

Pick 54. Sellars Hasn't fired a shot since being drafted. Great kid but no intensity and needs a heart transplant. Not sure he has the attitude and/or desire to succeed in the AFL. Might be a late bloomer but couldn't get a kick in stampede in the SANFL in 2011.

At the end of the 2010 season after Jai had played as a bottom age (17yr old) at the Falcons I would have signed him on the spot. He had a great year and I thought he might get picked up by the Gold Coast Suns. He got an invite to the 2010 Draft Camp but struggled to impress.

This year he had more down than good. I had really high hopes he would dominate but instead he beat up on the weak teams and got pantsed by the better ones.

His biggest problem was his complete lack of intensity. He marks well, kicks nicely off either foot and moves like an onballer but he often looks afraid of his shadow. At times I wanted to go out to the huddle and slap him around the face and tell him to grow some balls. He frustrated the hell out of me.

As the season went on he seemed to get softer and softer. I saw 1 game where he kicked 5 goals and dominated a very weak Bendigo but the next week he had about 3 touches playing at CHF vs a top 4 team.

So I guess that is why he fell so far. Unless he finds some anger he will get smashed in the VFL.

12. Cook - Ripper kid. Very polite and well spoken. Has a nice country feel to his manner. Ex AIS lad so he can play. Hampered with injuries most of last year and for some of this so since his AIS days he has been playing catchup. Lovely mark and nice kick. He has suffered from some migraines this year and it is thought that is because he gets very nervous before a game.

The longer the season went the more I tended to drop off him simply because he was having any impact in games I thought he should have been dominating. He not ovferly intense and not overly aggressive. Bit like Jack Watts in that way. Can play and if he reaches his potential was worth 12 but I have a few question marks on his mental toughness.

Howe - Never seen play.

Davis - I like Troy. Thought he would have made a good late pick or rookie. Deceptively quick for his size. Great intensity and makes his opponent earn every possession. Kicks the ball well. Always runs hard and straight. Will need time but should be good.

McDonald - I am so-so on Tom. Thought more of a rookie. Bit unco and ungainly at times and needs some think music when making decisions. Not overly footy smart and can often get were the ball isn't. Flashes in and out of games. I would have thought Litherland, Alex Johnson, Ledger, McInnes and Delaney were better options, who all came after him.

Trengove and Scully are wonderful players. Easily the standouts from all concerned.

My personal opinon is that Lucas is far more accomplished player than Gysberts and your guys should have taken him. He is quicker, more agile and has a far greater running capacity. Both are about the same height. Gysberts probably stronger overhead but Lucas is no slouch as a marking player. Gysberts is neat and tidy and I had him rated at 22 but he struggles defensively. Lucas is a gut runner with some zip whereas Gysberts tends to be 1 paced.

Teams seem to let him get on his own abit and he can sneak forward to kick a goal. He is good in close tending to feed the ball out of congestion by hand. I just worry about his running ability to work back and forth at speed.

Tapscott at 18 was a good get. I had him at 17. Brilliant kick. Strong hands. Needs to up his workrate to get his hands on it more often but if he gets it anywhere around 50 he is a good chance of kicking a goal. Like most kids needs to work on his defensive game. Strong body. Good pick at 18.

Big Max was the pick of the ruckman so another good get. 208cm (?) is one big lad and he might still be growing. Up until he did his knee he was showing plenty. Very raw but he is competitive and plays with good vigor. Should be good in about 3 or 4 years.

Fitzpatrick???????? Not a fan. He has very good speed and agility for his size but his foot skills are shocking and he is lazy. His marking is hit and miss.

He is getting over Chronic Fatigue as a 15yr old but he has been playing on that for the past 3 years. I haven't spoke to him but my bosses went to Sth Africa with him as part of the AIS U18 tour a few years back and they said he was the biggest whinger and complainer they had every heard. They also said he is one of the most arrogant kids they have ever met. They wouldn't have drafted him with 100 picks.

I think at pick #50 James Craig from SA or Josh Donaldson from WA would have been a better option

Watts did very, very well at DC. Don't get me wrong he has some talent but he also currently plays alot like the basketballer he is. He's not a big fan of the physical contact he gets and will get at AFL. He will need 3 good pre-seasons before you start to see the best of him. He needs to quickly develop some real aggression in him to worry the better defenders. At the moment he is easily worried off the ball but obviously some size and strength will help that but he has to get angry on the bad men of the AFL will destroy him.

Blease - 17 yr old. Very quick, lovely mover, likes to run and carry. Decent kick and gets some good distance. Can get down on himself if beaten. Needs alot of size and strength. He should light up the 'G' flying down the wing ala Robbie Flower. We had him at 15.

Strauss- I love this kid. One of the best kicks in the TAC. Deceptively quick. Moves within himself but hard to tackle. Great balance and footy smarts. Should be a talented onballer or HBF who sets up play. Alot like Heath Scotland. We had him at 24.

Bennell and Bail I have never seen play and I know nothing about them.

Jetta is a small forward/goal sneak. Interested pick really. He's okay but not super quick for his height. I'm not sure he has enough speed and tricks for h is size. Might struggle at 1st. He was outside our 60 and not really under consideration.

I was a fan of Frawley but not at 15. I had him at 34 and my boss at 24. I rated him but his kicking worried us both. He is okay when he has time to steady but in the AFL we were worried he wouldn't have that time. He can play short or tall with his pace. I would have taken Sellar and Mitch Brown before him as a tall. He has more pace but I think the other two would give more versatility.

Pettard at 30. I'm not a fan of Pettard and had him at 44. My boss liked him and had him at 22. So going by his judgment and you have done well to get him at 30 I think he is slow and lacks penetration with his kicking. Our main concern was he fumbles alot under pressure. He has a few tickets on himself which should get knocked out fairly quickly.

Garland at 46 was a good get. I was hoping he would make it through to us. I had him at 30 and the boss at 37. He a nice mover, lovely kick and footy smart. Once he puts on some size he will be exciting to watch. My only worry would be his commitment. He's a very introverted kid who had to be talked into playing for Tassie in the Under 18 Champs. Once he played he made plenty sit up and take notice.

Weetra at 62 I know nothing about him. I have never seen him play but the SA recruiter was gob smacked when his name was called. He didn't rate him at all.

Thanks for this, it was interesting reading.

Taggert is an interesting one for me and it's a pity we didn't get to see much of him this year. A great game at Box Hill showed the class he has so lets hope the coaches can push him to be what he has the capability to be. His kicking ability would not go astray at senior level for one thing and he is already a good size to play senior football.

Sheahan is another interesting one, we have his junior coach who must have put in a good word and he has stepped up with some really good games in defence at Casey. Can play, can he step up?

Big rap on Strauss in the write up and I hope he can deliver the goods in the next few years. He needs to take the game on a bit more and use the kick he has. I've seen him do it at Casey last year before the injury and was starting to show at senior level.

Cook, yep it is the mental side. He had a purple patch and was named an emergency, one more good game at Casey and the he must have been so close to a call up but form went out the window from there.

Tynan, well he's never going to leave anything on the park. Will be a fan favourite with his attack on the contest, another pre season or 2 and an injury free run and I think we will have a player.

FCS getting back to Molan -- it seems to be CAC's fault that he didn't foresee him (a) breaking his leg in his first season then ( B) some equally disabling shoulder injury in his comeback game. I never saw Molan play, and I doubt if the many here who so vehemently condemn him did because he had an incredibly unfortunate succession of injuries that totally destroyed his career before it has a chance to start. Is that poor recruiting??

This from CAC to me some 6 years ago (I've already posted most snippets):

"Later picks do compensate for early failures on occasion.

Miller doesn't compensate for our selection of Molan at 9 in 2001. It was a stellar draft and we blew it. We have been hanged for it publically and that's fair enough."

Even Craig acknowledges we stuffed up, so my advice to you is to accept it was a poor pick. Clearly recruiters aren't going to get every pick right, but it hurts when you stuff up top 20 picks, let alone top 10. Let's hope that Blease, Tapscott, Strauss and Gysberts can repay the faith the club has shown. They need to, because when you look at who we've missed we're coming from a long way back.

Supporters can wax on about development and to an extent there's validity in those comments, but in the main we simply haven't drafted well. The constant excuses by some for our inept recent selections need to stop. We need to get the next ones right and hope there's a star, or two on the horizon. If we do our fortunes will change far quicker than many realise. If we don't it will be a long haul.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2

FCS getting back to Molan -- it seems to be CAC's fault that he didn't foresee him (a) breaking his leg in his first season then (B) some equally disabling shoulder injury in his comeback game. I never saw Molan play, and I doubt if the many here who so vehemently condemn him did because he had an incredibly unfortunate succession of injuries that totally destroyed his career before it has a chance to start. Is that poor recruiting?? Should we not have recruited Paul Prymke because he stuffed his back, or Ox because he did his knee three times - shocking foresight by the recruiters there.

Not to be harsh, but the bottom line is, Molan wasn't supposed to go anywhere near the first round. We picked him because he was the toughest player in the draft, and massively reached for him at 9. Blease broke his leg after getting drafted, but he's been on the list for 4 years, because unlike Molan, he looks like being a player.

This from CAC to me some 6 years ago (I've already posted most snippets):

"Later picks do compensate for early failures on occasion.

Miller doesn't compensate for our selection of Molan at 9 in 2001. It was a stellar draft and we blew it. We have been hanged for it publically and that's fair enough."

Even Craig acknowledges we stuffed up, so my advice to you is to accept it was a poor pick. Clearly recruiters aren't going to get every pick right, but it hurts when you stuff up top 20 picks, let alone top 10. Let's hope that Blease, Tapscott, Strauss and Gysberts can repay the faith the club has shown. They need to, because when you look at who we've missed we're coming from a long way back.

Supporters can wax on about development and to an extent there's validity in those comments, but in the main we simply haven't drafted well. The constant excuses by some for our inept recent selections need to stop. We need to get the next ones right and hope there's a star, or two on the horizon. If we do our fortunes will change far quicker than many realise. If we don't it will be a long haul.

Just to be clear these were CCs words in a conversation with you? Or were they publicly pronounced??

And on Molan, people can understand if a player breaks down. It doesn't mean we didn't stuff up but it's not exactly avoidable.

Just to be clear these were CCs words in a conversation with you? Or were they publicly pronounced??

And on Molan, people can understand if a player breaks down. It doesn't mean we didn't stuff up but it's not exactly avoidable.

It was privately to me, but after all of these years and with the players mentioned having retired, plus Craig being an ex-employee of a number of years I feel it's reasonable to release it.

It was privately to me, but after all of these years and with the players mentioned having retired, plus Craig being an ex-employee of a number of years I feel it's reasonable to release it.

OK thanks

To put things into perspective, below is a comment on Melbourne’s draftees made by an opposition club recruiter after draft day each year. Going by this some good picks, some bad at the time, some wrong opinions at the time some correct. Some too early to tell.

Pick 36. I was actually a fan of Taggert. I thought he would make a great rookie. Good size, good speed and a great kick. He just never worked hard enough. Some nice cameos at times throughout the year but I always wanted him to do more and he rarely did. 1/4 here and 1/4 there. I think Curran or Lockyer was a better pick for you guys.

Pick 52. Big, big fan of Josh. I had him at 29. Kind of kid you would go to war with. Gives his all every minute of every game. Good pick at 52.

Pick 54. Sellars Hasn't fired a shot since being drafted. Great kid but no intensity and needs a heart transplant. Not sure he has the attitude and/or desire to succeed in the AFL. Might be a late bloomer but couldn't get a kick in stampede in the SANFL in 2011.

At the end of the 2010 season after Jai had played as a bottom age (17yr old) at the Falcons I would have signed him on the spot. He had a great year and I thought he might get picked up by the Gold Coast Suns. He got an invite to the 2010 Draft Camp but struggled to impress.

This year he had more down than good. I had really high hopes he would dominate but instead he beat up on the weak teams and got pantsed by the better ones.

His biggest problem was his complete lack of intensity. He marks well, kicks nicely off either foot and moves like an onballer but he often looks afraid of his shadow. At times I wanted to go out to the huddle and slap him around the face and tell him to grow some balls. He frustrated the hell out of me.

As the season went on he seemed to get softer and softer. I saw 1 game where he kicked 5 goals and dominated a very weak Bendigo but the next week he had about 3 touches playing at CHF vs a top 4 team.

So I guess that is why he fell so far. Unless he finds some anger he will get smashed in the VFL.

12. Cook - Ripper kid. Very polite and well spoken. Has a nice country feel to his manner. Ex AIS lad so he can play. Hampered with injuries most of last year and for some of this so since his AIS days he has been playing catchup. Lovely mark and nice kick. He has suffered from some migraines this year and it is thought that is because he gets very nervous before a game.

The longer the season went the more I tended to drop off him simply because he was having any impact in games I thought he should have been dominating. He not ovferly intense and not overly aggressive. Bit like Jack Watts in that way. Can play and if he reaches his potential was worth 12 but I have a few question marks on his mental toughness.

Howe - Never seen play.

Davis - I like Troy. Thought he would have made a good late pick or rookie. Deceptively quick for his size. Great intensity and makes his opponent earn every possession. Kicks the ball well. Always runs hard and straight. Will need time but should be good.

McDonald - I am so-so on Tom. Thought more of a rookie. Bit unco and ungainly at times and needs some think music when making decisions. Not overly footy smart and can often get were the ball isn't. Flashes in and out of games. I would have thought Litherland, Alex Johnson, Ledger, McInnes and Delaney were better options, who all came after him.

Trengove and Scully are wonderful players. Easily the standouts from all concerned.

My personal opinon is that Lucas is far more accomplished player than Gysberts and your guys should have taken him. He is quicker, more agile and has a far greater running capacity. Both are about the same height. Gysberts probably stronger overhead but Lucas is no slouch as a marking player. Gysberts is neat and tidy and I had him rated at 22 but he struggles defensively. Lucas is a gut runner with some zip whereas Gysberts tends to be 1 paced.

Teams seem to let him get on his own abit and he can sneak forward to kick a goal. He is good in close tending to feed the ball out of congestion by hand. I just worry about his running ability to work back and forth at speed.

Tapscott at 18 was a good get. I had him at 17. Brilliant kick. Strong hands. Needs to up his workrate to get his hands on it more often but if he gets it anywhere around 50 he is a good chance of kicking a goal. Like most kids needs to work on his defensive game. Strong body. Good pick at 18.

Big Max was the pick of the ruckman so another good get. 208cm (?) is one big lad and he might still be growing. Up until he did his knee he was showing plenty. Very raw but he is competitive and plays with good vigor. Should be good in about 3 or 4 years.

Fitzpatrick???????? Not a fan. He has very good speed and agility for his size but his foot skills are shocking and he is lazy. His marking is hit and miss.

He is getting over Chronic Fatigue as a 15yr old but he has been playing on that for the past 3 years. I haven't spoke to him but my bosses went to Sth Africa with him as part of the AIS U18 tour a few years back and they said he was the biggest whinger and complainer they had every heard. They also said he is one of the most arrogant kids they have ever met. They wouldn't have drafted him with 100 picks.

I think at pick #50 James Craig from SA or Josh Donaldson from WA would have been a better option

Watts did very, very well at DC. Don't get me wrong he has some talent but he also currently plays alot like the basketballer he is. He's not a big fan of the physical contact he gets and will get at AFL. He will need 3 good pre-seasons before you start to see the best of him. He needs to quickly develop some real aggression in him to worry the better defenders. At the moment he is easily worried off the ball but obviously some size and strength will help that but he has to get angry on the bad men of the AFL will destroy him.

Blease - 17 yr old. Very quick, lovely mover, likes to run and carry. Decent kick and gets some good distance. Can get down on himself if beaten. Needs alot of size and strength. He should light up the 'G' flying down the wing ala Robbie Flower. We had him at 15.

Strauss- I love this kid. One of the best kicks in the TAC. Deceptively quick. Moves within himself but hard to tackle. Great balance and footy smarts. Should be a talented onballer or HBF who sets up play. Alot like Heath Scotland. We had him at 24.

Bennell and Bail I have never seen play and I know nothing about them.

Jetta is a small forward/goal sneak. Interested pick really. He's okay but not super quick for his height. I'm not sure he has enough speed and tricks for h is size. Might struggle at 1st. He was outside our 60 and not really under consideration.

I was a fan of Frawley but not at 15. I had him at 34 and my boss at 24. I rated him but his kicking worried us both. He is okay when he has time to steady but in the AFL we were worried he wouldn't have that time. He can play short or tall with his pace. I would have taken Sellar and Mitch Brown before him as a tall. He has more pace but I think the other two would give more versatility.

Pettard at 30. I'm not a fan of Pettard and had him at 44. My boss liked him and had him at 22. So going by his judgment and you have done well to get him at 30 I think he is slow and lacks penetration with his kicking. Our main concern was he fumbles alot under pressure. He has a few tickets on himself which should get knocked out fairly quickly.

Garland at 46 was a good get. I was hoping he would make it through to us. I had him at 30 and the boss at 37. He a nice mover, lovely kick and footy smart. Once he puts on some size he will be exciting to watch. My only worry would be his commitment. He's a very introverted kid who had to be talked into playing for Tassie in the Under 18 Champs. Once he played he made plenty sit up and take notice.

Weetra at 62 I know nothing about him. I have never seen him play but the SA recruiter was gob smacked when his name was called. He didn't rate him at all.

Interesting read .. hard to disagree with most assessments..let's hope the ones we've got develop

2001 has no contenders for worst MFC drafting effort...

9. MFC: Luke Molan

13. Nick Dal Santo

16. Rick Ladson

17. James Kelly

19. Jason Gram

21. Matt Maguire

22. Mark Seaby

24. Steve Johnson

25. MFC: Steven Armstrong

26. MFC: Aaron Rogers

29. Lewis Roberts-Thompson

32. Campbell Brown

33. David Rodan

36. Sam Mitchell

37. Leigh Montagna

47. Andrew Welsh

55. MFC: Brad Miller

56. Paul Medhurst

58. Dane Swan

60. Adam Schneider

71. Brian Lake

Appalling choices, albeit with the benefit of hindsight. Big Brad was the only one who fired a shot for us, moreover, the draft was full of players who have become solid ten-year contributors. A shocking effort from our recruiters.

CAC admitted on this site in about 2005 the same as Ben Hur has issued.

Appalling choices, albeit with the benefit of hindsight. Big Brad was the only one who fired a shot for us, moreover, the draft was full of players who have become solid ten-year contributors. A shocking effort from our recruiters.

Gee but Steven Armstrong was a premiership player.....

I wonder do recruiters ever check out the parents of these skinny kids.

Quite often skinny kids turn into skinny adults that no amount of weights and force feeding will change

I guess Phil is the exception that proves the rule

• Like 2

A note if I may to some posters.... let edit and truncation be your friends when replying ( quoting ) to posts as some replies all but kill a smart phone's chance of reading anything in real time :wacko:

cheers

• Like 1

Nice guys don't win flags

They sing in Choirs

I find this kind of attitude a little stupid. I mean, I understand the sentiment: every team needs a bit of mongrel. But is Luke Ball a choirboy? No. Nor is Sam Mitchell. Nor are plenty of other premiership players who are perfectly nice, both on and off the field. You don't need 22 mongrels to win a flag, and you can perfectly well be successful with some nice, non-aggressive players.

Well, there is an exception to every rule.

Except that rule.

Which is the exception to the exception rule.

Proving the rule.

Love it.

• Like 1

Gee but Steven Armstrong was a premiership player.....

While we'd all give up a limb to be able to call ourselves a Premiership player it's really the most overated saying in Football, Bob Skilton, Doug Hawkins, Robert Harvey, Neiter, Jimmy, Robbie Flower and many others will be remembered a lot longer than many Premiership players.

Pretty sure it was Cam Mooney who had 0 touches in Norths 1999 Premiership Side. Although Army had a good game for Meth Coast in 06 and kicked a vital final quarter goal

Although Army had a good game for Meth Coast in 06 and kicked a vital final quarter goal

He was fortunate to be in the right place at the time. He did SFA up to then and had 8 touches. A bog ordinary player who was in the side due to injury(Sampi and Matera) at the right time. AFL History is sprinkled with them.

He was fortunate to be in the right place at the time. He did SFA up to then and had 8 touches. A bog ordinary player who was in the side due to injury(Sampi and Matera) at the right time. AFL History is sprinkled with them.

As I said in the top part of my post Premiership Player is the most overated saying in footy, Army got into the side late in the season played some good games and held his spot, Matera believed he was fit enough to play Woosha thought otherwise, Army played and Matera retired

Why would you bold Brad Miller?. At pick 55 he was a great get in a poor draft for us. And its a long straw to claim at that end of the draft that it was obvious we should have got any of thoselisted below him.

Because he was 1 of the 4 MFC selections in said draft, thought that would have been pretty obvious...

Always amazes me how the tag 'premiership player' seems to elevate some seriously ordinary (and lucky) players beyond mortal status....

Guest King Cuthbertson

For a bit of fun, I picked a 22 full of players we 'overlooked' at each pick during the Dean Bailey drafts (2007-2010).

B Cameron Pedersen (Nth) Harry Taylor (Geel) Alex Johnson (Syd)

HB Scott Selwood (WCE) Daniel Talia (Adel) Lewis Jetta (Syd)

C Patrick Dangerfield (Adel) Dustin Martin (Rich) Tom Rockliff (Bris)

HF Dayne Beams (Coll) Nat Fyfe (Freo) Mitch Robinson (Carl)

F Jack Darling (WCE) Sam Reid (Syd) Jeff Garlett (Carl)

FO Nick Naitanui (WCE) Michael Barlow (Freo) Luke Shuey (WCE)

IN Sam Jacobs (Adel) Jarryd Blair (Coll) Stewart Crameri (Ess)

Luke Dalhaus (WBull)

I like to call them, 'The Couldabeen Champions'.....

Edited by King Cuthbertson