See you later ... Bater?

Range Rover

The fact that there's any argument over who is better out of Bate, Bennell, Dunn or Petterd is indicative of BH's point about forming an attachment to ordinary players. In the big picture none of these players have a role to play in our quest for glory and all should be gone at years end.

Sadly I am coming around to those thoughts too. But despite that, I doubt if all will be cut. For what it is worth, I suspect Dunn may be the survivor unless someone, maybe GC or GW$ want a mature bodied (and mature upper lipped, though not necessarily mature minded) player.

Both were standouts given they were both first round draft picks. Cook was very impressive as an u18 year old.

So after Watts first year he looked far from the player he is now? What if he had of had a hip injury and missed most of his second year too? Would have showed about as much as Cook has now. You were probably one of the MANY who said watts was useless as recently as first few rounds of this season.

Sorry but I just find it frustrating when people don't understand footy, don't understand what certain players need to develop and make idiotic judgements. I hate having supporters like you at our club.

I haven't given up on Cook, who is really in effect due to injury almost a first year big man.

And there is no way that I would compare Watts, who was I think to the majority of east coast fans the clear number 1 pick, and number 2 were you in the west, with Cook who whilst dominating the U18s wasn't ever discussed as a top pick.

Edited by monoccular

Yes I am.

You compare Cook to Watts, but he's nothing like Watts, save for the height. Why not compare him to Tony Notte who was a pick 20 in 2007 that was ultimately delisted by West Coast after 2 games ? Less suitable ?

Btw, Watts is a disappointment despite the fanfare on here.

Edited by Ben-Hur

Sadly I am coming around to those thoughts too. But despite that, I doubt if all will be cut. For what it is worth, I suspect Dunn may be the survivor unless someone, maybe GC or GW$ want a mature bodied (and mature upper lipped, though not necessarily mature minded) player.

Retaining Dunn would just be proof that we're still holding on to crud players for way too long. He's in the prime of his career in our god awful side and he's still not best 18. Honestly, delisting he and Bate will be the easiest decisions Neeld and his team will ever make.

• Like 1

Retaining Dunn would just be proof that we're still holding on to crud players for way too long. He's in the prime of his career in our god awful side and he's still not best 18. Honestly, delisting he and Bate will be the easiest decisions Neeld and his team will ever make.

Nasher, do you ever wonder what Melbourne supporters watch on tv ? I mean, do they watch other sides play ? Do they watch the good ones ? Do they watch Hawthorn, or Collingwood, or the great Geelong teams ? If they do why do they argue over which C grader is better than the other, or which one should be kept ? Why do they care so much about crud footballers ? Is it some forlorn hope that they'll come good ?

Explain it to me, as I'm genuinely baffled.

• Like 3

Do you lose the right to express an opinion when you leave Australia?

I would think travel broadens the mind.

Don-you haven't earned the right to call WYL a tool yet .

Even if he is a little sh!tty at being a long-suffering Demon .

The man is a Demonland institution

And God knows we all belong in one .

Thanks Biff...yes old Don didn't mind getting on the front foot early did he!!!

I think i have seen enough games to make a few decisions on our list.

Jury is out.

If he's a such a good player why isn't he dominating at Casey?

Unfortunately there's only one answer to that question - he's not that good. Certainly nowhere close to being worth what we paid for him, anyway.

It was a shocking decision to take him.

Totally agree. Taking him at 12 reeked of "pick any tall" not best pick possible. I can't say anything about Darling as every team skipped him but my heart bleeds when I watch the way he plays. God Melbourne could do with him in the forward line.

• Like 1

i feel sorry for bater, because he gives his all. I have trouble bagging players like him because at least you know they're trying.

His guitar playing is also very average, which is a pity becasue im sre he would like to persue somthing in that direction after footy

• Like 1

I have trouble bagging players like him.... His guitar playing is also very average, which is a pity becasue im sre he would like to persue somthing in that direction after footy

Lol. Don't stop there- what about his red hair?

I think there sare some on here that need to understand that often commentary is not 'bagging"

Its observational critique.

Many a time a poster will say 'player x" isnt up to speed, is down on his game, is not adding to the team but detracting etc.

Often its not a...'geebus X is a f'n uselss piece of excrement' but "x was a liability today, turned clanger king , needs to find his mojo " and on and such.

And you knwo what,sometimes players just arent as good as they either were percived to be or were in the past. When this happens do you turn a blind eye or simply acknowledge what is...IS ?

Wrt Bate, what is...... is that he's pretty well passed the proverbial crossroads and I cant help but feel hes on the wrong road.

Guest José Mourinho

I'm with WYL on Cook. I doubt he'll make it, but at best he'll be ordinary. He was a terrible pick 12. Terrible.

To think Atley was still available at our pick. Barry Prendergast must have gone to the Richard Griffiths school of drafting.

But then he picked Howe in the 2nd round, so was that just dumb luck?

Fwiw pre-draft I laughed at those suggested we may take Cook and was adamant pick 12 was far too early for him.

But I've seen glimpses that had me reconsider my stance.

He deserves more time to prove himself. 2 more years.

Guest José Mourinho

Nasher, do you ever wonder what Melbourne supporters watch on tv ? I mean, do they watch other sides play ? Do they watch the good ones ? Do they watch Hawthorn, or Collingwood, or the great Geelong teams ? If they do why do they argue over which C grader is better than the other, or which one should be kept ? Why do they care so much about crud footballers ? Is it some forlorn hope that they'll come good ?

Explain it to me, as I'm genuinely baffled.

Because they're OUR crud footballers!

Seriously, that's all I can come up with.

Illogical emotional attachment because they are on OUR list. They're OUR boys.

And some supporters believe unconditional support is what leads to success.

Depending on which player it is.

• Like 1

I think Bate would've offered more than what Magner, Couch or Pettard have tonight. Petard has played better stuff before though. Bate has similar agility and pace compared to the rookies but at least is a better kick and mark

I agree. Bate is still a better option than almost all of our other mids with the exception of Jones and maybe Jordie.

I think Bate would've offered more than what Magner, Couch or Pettard have tonight. Petard has played better stuff before though. Bate has similar agility and pace compared to the rookies but at least is a better kick and mark

So you'd prefer measles over chicken pox ?

It never ends does it? I'm not sure why I keep opening this thread. Wave after wave of people who just don't get it. I'm starting to come around to your viewpoint of everyone else seeing things differently to me.

Bate is one of the few players who has shown signs of understanding what Neeld is wanting to achieve. He is a good kick of the football, he marks, he spreads, he presents options. He is often let down by the lack of vision of others.

He still has flaws but he's still young and can be taught. I will be disappointed to see him go elsewhere.

Bate is one of the few players who has shown signs of understanding what Neeld is wanting to achieve. He is a good kick of the football, he marks, he spreads, he presents options. He is often let down by the lack of vision of others.

He still has flaws but he's still young and can be taught. I will be disappointed to see him go elsewhere.

Measles it is.

Crazy.

He's a total lost cause. The absolute epitomy of 'deadwood'.

There is a fine line between earning your games and then getting "free" games I have heard a few of the younger demons such as Jack Watts commenting that they didn't feel that they belonged on teh AFL stage etc. I don't think Bate is a world beater by any stretch and if his form drops should go back to Casey to work on it. BUt I thought mhe should've had a run last night up in Darwin over a few of the other boys that played.