GWS (U-17's) Mini Draft

dee-luded

So...let me get this right. We give away 2 top 5 picks in this years draft to get 2 top 5 picks in next years draft. Yep, that works for me.

and Jack Viney in the 2nd round.

So it's really we give away 1 top 5 pick and one 2nd round pick this year to get 2 top 5 picks in next year's draft. Yep, works for me too.

So it's really we give away 1 top 5 pick and one 2nd round pick this year to get 2 top 5 picks in next year's draft. Yep, works for me too.

Not if GC bid we dont

Has a double effect for GC to bid now. 1. to move their next pick up pecking order and 2. to stop GWS having both picks 3 and 4

Edited by olisik

So...let me get this right. We give away 2 top 5 picks in this years draft to get 2 top 5 picks in next years draft. Yep, that works for me.

I agree, it seems almost fascicle in a suggested powerfull draft thruout the 1st Rnd and no doubt well into the second.

The only thing this draft is said to be light on for is class talls.

So I guess I could live with using one pick for a powerfull CHF type, but if it's for Mids, I'd rather get them this draft & play them ASAP.

Edited by dee-luded

Would also be a mistake to take this skinnier then morton kid Kelly over Martin when Martin is the one who has been hyped all year.

If we take a skinny kid over a WA kid again I will hit the fan. Would be the 2008 draft all over again.

Pretty sure Martin weighs 64kg. He would probably be in the top 5 skinniest on an AFL list if we pick him

My feeling on this situation will be that we want Hogan either pick 3 or 4 for the MD. We will then be

making a play for someone like Lynch from the eagles to come in and hold down a key position for

acouple of years and teach Hogan everything he needs to know.

Then we will be absolutely going for mids with either pick 3 or 4 whichever we have left and also

with pick 13 and obviously Viney 2nd round.

I also think they will go after one or 2 free agents I'm thinking either Young or Pearce as a winger

and maybe an older player ie Chapman, Enright someone who knows what success is like to ingrain

it in our youth.

• Like 1

Pretty sure Martin weighs 64kg. He would probably be in the top 5 skinniest on an AFL list if we pick him

For the record im not an advocate of taking either Martin or Kelly but if we have to take one we should take the one who was originally touted as the best 17yr old. Not some other kid coz he lives in vic and we wont have problems like go home factor ect.

They are both stick skinny and i want neither , though if the club is foolish enough to trade away picks 3 and 4 then I would much prefer Martin.

Guest KingDingAling

Martin is an absolute gun, we'd be mad not to chase the kid.

GC got a ripper in O'meara in the mini draft, if they were to get Martin aswell,

I'd say thats astute drafting, both kids have a hell of alot of talent - and X factor.

I will be happy if we pick up Viney and Toumpas picks 3 & 4. both kids proven at senior level both proven finals and grand final performers. Ready to go from game one 2013.

Anything past that would be an absolute bonus. Not sure that all the brilliant schemes to get Viney in the 2nd round will come to much but of course would love it, just can't see it happening.

• Like 1

If we pick up 2 in the MD how does that impact our list? Do they sit on our primary list or do they sit outside because they can't play?

It might make it easier to make room for free agents or hang onto guys we are not ready to let go of like Jetta/Davis/Cook to give them another year to assess their worth. I'm not commenting on the particular players here just the potential flexibility this could give out list.

Not sure that all the brilliant schemes to get Viney in the 2nd round will come to much but of course would love it, just can't see it happening.

I'll tell you how it happens.

One thing Sheedy, Allan and GWS want more than forcing us to pay overs for Viney (or correct weight depending on your point of view) is getting their hands on pick 3. If they make Melbourne choose Viney at pick 3 then we can't trade it to them for a mini-draft selection. We've already expressed interest in Hogan and perhaps Martin, or Kelly, and they'll want our pick 3 to facilitate such a trade. If Gold Coast are also prepared to trade pick 2 GWS end up with picks 1, 2, and 3 in a good draft. That's more attractive to them than making us pay more than we want for Viney. Even if they don't get their mitts on pick 2 picks 1 and 3 is also very attractive. And if they make us pay pick 3 for Viney we're less likely to trade pick 4 for a 17 year old, which makes it less likely for them to get pick 4 too. If we can secure Viney in the second round we're more likely to be prepared to get a 17 year old into the club.

The Suns may bid on Viney, but I'm not sure where they rate him and they may just want to make sure of Grundy, or Toumpas.

I don't know how things will unfold, but there's definitely logic in GWS not bidding for Viney.

• Like 3

For the record im not an advocate of taking either Martin or Kelly but if we have to take one we should take the one who was originally touted as the best 17yr old. Not some other kid coz he lives in vic and we wont have problems like go home factor ect.

They are both stick skinny and i want neither , though if the club is foolish enough to trade away picks 3 and 4 then I would much prefer Martin.

If we take any kids at all. I want to be sure they have a taste for tackling, & not a taste for cross country fence hurdling.

They've gotta have some internals.

There is always the possibility of securing both MD picks by trading picks 3 and 4.

The onus is then on GWS to satisfy Gold Coast to stop them from bidding on Viney. It actually takes the pressure off us a bit because GWS would do the work for us.

It just means we have to wait a year before they play AFL footy. I'm more than happy to wait a year. We'll get Viney who is plug and play, plus whatever else happens.

If we pick up 2 in the MD how does that impact our list? Do they sit on our primary list or do they sit outside because they can't play?

It might make it easier to make room for free agents or hang onto guys we are not ready to let go of like Jetta/Davis/Cook to give them another year to assess their worth. I'm not commenting on the particular players here just the potential flexibility this could give out list.

Thats an interesting point you make, & it could allow a couple of Veteran 2 year types. They would help us improve on the ladder next year, while the kids were at Casey.

Meanwhile we'd be getting games into Gysberts & Blease, Tapscott, Strauss, Nicholson, while the kids are learning.

I'll tell you how it happens.

One thing Sheedy, Allan and GWS want more than forcing us to pay overs for Viney (or correct weight depending on your point of view) is getting their hands on pick 3. If they make Melbourne choose Viney at pick 3 then we can't trade it to them for a mini-draft selection. We've already expressed interest in Hogan and perhaps Martin, or Kelly, and they'll want our pick 3 to facilitate such a trade. If Gold Coast are also prepared to trade pick 2 GWS end up with picks 1, 2, and 3 in a good draft. That's more attractive to them than making us pay more than we want for Viney. Even if they don't get their mitts on pick 2 picks 1 and 3 is also very attractive. And if they make us pay pick 3 for Viney we're less likely to trade pick 4 for a 17 year old, which makes it less likely for them to get pick 4 too. If we can secure Viney in the second round we're more likely to be prepared to get a 17 year old into the club.

The Suns may bid on Viney, but I'm not sure where they rate him and they may just want to make sure of Grundy, or Toumpas.

I don't know how things will unfold, but there's definitely logic in GWS not bidding for Viney.

Too many if's and maybe's there Ben, as I say I would be happy with Viney and Toumpas anything else is a bonus and subject to a blind eye from the AFL.

Pick 3 - Brodie Grundy

Pick 4 & Jamar - Jack Martin (Shoot me for putting Jamar up!)

Pick 13 - Pacey midfielder/small forward

or Trade Pick 13, our 3rd rounder & Ricky Petterd or Cale Morton for Josh Caddy & Maverick Weller

Pick 21 - Jack Viney

Gone - Moloney, Bate, Green, Morton

Stick with me here,

If we were to get both MD picks, no one says we have to use both in the mini draft.

It is known that both WA teams would dearly love to get their hands on Martin, but neither believe they will be able to come up with the right price. Of the two, West Coast is right into Martin in a big big way. It is also known that we are still very keen on Gaff.

Would we put it to the weagles........ would they be willing to give up Gaff (a victorian boy) in exchange for Martin? Gaff signed a 3-year extension to stay at West Coast, but if we were able to persuade him to come home, and WCE also agreed to the deal........................just something to think about!

We might have to throw in something more to get it done (and no, not Morton - may as well try and sell them a car with 3 wheels), but in effect, we would be losing the fat one's off-spring and getting Gaff (very similar player who has surpassed him) whilst also getting pick 13.

Edited by Demon Disciple
  • Like 1

Stick with me here,

If we were to get both MD picks, no one says we have to use both in the mini draft.

It is known that both WA teams would dearly love to get their hands on Martin, but neither believe they will be able to come up with the right price. Of the two, West Coast is right into Martin in a big big way. It is also known that we are still very keen on Gaff.

Would we put it to the weagles........ would they be willing to give up Gaff (a victorian boy) in exchange for Martin? Gaff signed a 3-year extension to stay at West Coast, but if we were able to persuade him to come home, and WCE also agreed to the deal........................just something to think about!

We might have to throw in something more to get it done (and no, not Morton - may as well try and sell them a car with 3 wheels), but in effect, we would be losing the fat one's off-spring and getting Gaff (very similar player who has surpassed him) whilst also getting Hogan (our KPF to go with Clark) in return.

Give me next years number 1 pick any day over Gaff.

I do rate him but not at pick 1.

Martin has A grade skills (L.Jetta) but better.

Did you see us get smashed in the ruck on Sunday?

Yep! Sure did. Thats why we draft Grundy! Jamar ahhh! Time to go... Moloney will follow.

Why would we give away a good player plus a high pick anyway?

A pick alone would suffice.

I think we need too put up more than Pick 4. They would want our Pick 3! Maybe they can give us there 3rd rounder if we deal Jamar. I think Jamar is a servicable player, just good. Jamar will fill there ruck void.

Edited by GRUN DEE

Stick with me here,

We might have to throw in something more to get it done (and no, not Morton - may as well try and sell them a car with 3 wheels), but in effect, we would be losing the fat one's off-spring and getting Gaff (very similar player who has surpassed him) whilst also getting pick 13.

Gaff and Koby Stevens for MD pick#2 and 3rd rounder or in stead of a pick force them to take Cale Morton to clog their list for 2 years