?!

How do you make that intuitive leap?

How has it changed that makes you so happy about the future when they were being coached by the wrong bloke three weeks ago?

You have never explained this. And it gives the players an out for the start of the season and for their lapses.

They slipped back into their shell today and didn't run and spread for 8 minutes in the first and last and it meant 8 goals. When they are bold and want to go and find some 'cheap' footy - we were fine.

There is no change - the players are implementing the game plan and then they go into their shells and we get zero run and spread and get beaten.

I can't explain why you can't see what a lot of others can - I'm positive about the future, provided there is a dramatic improvement in the training and execution of basic skills.

I can't explain why you can't see what a lot of others can - I'm positive about the future, provided there is a dramatic improvement in the training and execution of basic skills.

So you cannot explain what has changed?

FMD.

Surely you realise how that sounds?

You accuse me of not seeing the changes you see and then when I ask you to identify said changes you give me a flippant response surrounding my inability to see whatever it is that you can see but won't explain.

I have my theory - the players are beginning to run and spread and be more daring now that, as Trengove said in the paper today, 'they are more comfortable with the defensive side of the gameplan.'

What's yours?

• Like 1

There were many positives for the future after todays game. Mark Neeld & his coaching will work.

The negatives are still gaping holes that can be rectified.

I walked away from the G with the same feeling and I also left with a smile as I figured our uprising will coincide with Collingwood being crap at the same time. I can't wait for the day when I don't have to witness Filth supporters giving Melbourne supporters and their kids the bird as they leave the ground or other collingwood supporters teaching their own kids how to abuse the opposition and their supporters because they would have already left as we will be smashing them.

• Like 1

FMD.

You accuse me of not seeing the changes you see and then when I ask you to identify said changes you give me a flippant response surrounding my inability to see whatever it is that you can see but won't explain.

I have my theory - the players are beginning to run and spread and be more daring now that, as Trengove said in the paper today, 'they are more comfortable with the defensive side of the gameplan.'

What's yours?

My father taught my the saying that "B-S baffles brains". Hardnut is trying it on. He does not know what Neeld's philosophy is, or what is game plan will look like in 6-12 months, or what he might do for player development etc. so Hardnut makes it up. By keeping it vague he can never be wrong because he never has to state anythign or defend anything.

It's tiresome and deserves to be played out elsewhere.

• Like 1

My father taught my the saying that "B-S baffles brains". Hardnut is trying it on. He does not know what Neeld's philosophy is, or what is game plan will look like in 6-12 months, or what he might do for player development etc. so Hardnut makes it up. By keeping it vague he can never be wrong because he never has to state anythign or defend anything.

It's tiresome and deserves to be played out elsewhere.

Bingo. Your dad's a smart bloke.

FMD.

What's yours?

So you are completely denying any change in the game plan?

You are certainly at odds with several commentators and the observations of myself and others - of course you are entitled to your opinion.

I would argue that the team is taking the game on now, with greater risk but potentially greater reward, and certainly a greater emphasis on attack (a la Geelong style).

You have already indicated your desire for defensive football (a la Collingwood), but whilst I understand your position and your reasons for defending that approach, I do not believe it is the way of the future (or in fact, the successful way of the last few years).

In my opinion, players always like to take the game on, it is rigid coaching structures that cause them to be afraid of making mistakes and incurring a black mark against their name in the coach's book. (Morton deserved his black mark, but somehow I think he already knew it without the spray!)

Just chucked on the replay and the pre-game on channel 7 is downright embarrassing. Only about 5 minutes in but already we have had a number of our players explaining how this is the biggest game of the year for us because we don't get to play finals and it's the only time we get to play in front of a big crowd; this was followed up with Malthouse going on again about how this is our GF and we build ourselves up for 1 game each year and how if we were up and about on Wednesday during the week they knew they were in for a big win on the Monday. They then top this off by trying to interview Frawley while he is on the ground doing his pre-game warm-up and then replaying Watts' debut where he was crunched by three Pies players as soon as he ran on to the field. Just cringeworthy

• Like 2

2 1/2 quarters of footy is not enough against a top side. However:

1. When we played, we competed.

2. There were some positive upsides in the way we spread, and scored >10 goals.

We still have some gaping holes (midfield, small forward, rucking to advantage).

I went away neither totally satisfied, or totally despondent. So many players just need to give 10% more, in quality and effort for this to start to look like something that can win on a regular basis.

• Like 1

Jamar hardly gets any disposals during the game and goes through some games without taking 1 mark! So it just makes it even more of a poor game when his ruck taps are ineffective.

• Like 3

Just chucked on the replay and the pre-game on channel 7 is downright embarrassing. Only about 5 minutes in but already we have had a number of our players explaining how this is the biggest game of the year for us because we don't get to play finals and it's the only time we get to play in front of a big crowd; this was followed up with Malthouse going on again about how this is our GF and we build ourselves up for 1 game each year and how if we were up and about on Wednesday during the week they knew they were in for a big win on the Monday. They then top this off by trying to interview Frawley while he is on the ground doing his pre-game warm-up and then replaying Watts' debut where he was crunched by three Pies players as soon as he ran on to the field. Just cringeworthy

Its 4 points. The sooner the club treat it this way the sooner we get serious as a team.
  • Like 2

Half of those problems seem to stem from the arse-backwards approach to the game apparently displayed by the Melbourne players. Who said that this is our big game of the year? Whoever it was deserves to be knocked on there arse. Please don't tell me it was Moloney or Sylvia or I might just go postal! Stop playing so shocking and you might actually get to play in front of a big crowd for once!

Rivers lined up in the forward line at the start of the 3rd. Made me raise my eyebrows and hoped it didn't backfire.

Sorry my mistake, I knew it wasn't in the last but only watching on TV didn't pick up when.

FMD.

What's yours?

Can you and hardnut take this to PM with each other instead of wasting half to a full page of threads with I see more than you

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3

A very poor coaching decision to put 2 players behind the ball in the first quarter,allowing the Pies an extra 2 players at each contest.They killed us around the stoppages for this reason and just kicked over our spare 2's heads for goals.

This mistake was rectified at 1/4 time when we went man on man and from then on,we lost the game by 7 POINTS!!!!!!!

• Like 5

Half of those problems seem to stem from the arse-backwards approach to the game apparently displayed by the Melbourne players. Who said that this is our big game of the year? Whoever it was deserves to be knocked on there arse. Please don't tell me it was Moloney or Sylvia or I might just go postal! Stop playing so shocking and you might actually get to play in front of a big crowd for once!

Can't remember all of them but definitely included Grimes, Trengove, Jamar and also Moloney I think.

A very poor coaching decision to put 2 players behind the ball in the first quarter,allowing the Pies an extra 2 players at each contest.They killed us around the stoppages for this reason and just kicked over our spare 2's heads for goals.

This mistake was rectified at 1/4 time when we went man on man and from then on,we lost the game by 7 POINTS!!!!!!!

That was a huge mistake a structure was horrible up forward you are spot on.

• Like 1

Goddamn it, I'm generally not one to have a go at or blame the umpires, but we were absolutely raped today. A number of decisions/non-decisions indrectly resulted in goals particularly in the first quarter. There was a number early but the most blatant were the HTB on Magner and the non-call of the shepherd on Clark which both resulted in goals. There were a number of others more evident on the replay as well and I haven't even finished the first quarter yet.

EDIT: that's not to say we didn't make stupid mistakes and decisions as well but bloody hell it makes it hard when the umps only see black & white.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1

Can't remember all of them but definitely included Grimes, Trengove, Jamar and also Moloney I think.

Sad to hear the captains talking like that. Jamar is also a little suprising. Moloney, not so much. I don't think he has his priorities straight. You don't play footy for the crowds.

First time i have left the G after playing a Collwd/ Hawthorn type opponent not feeling utterly depressed. Not so, early in the third quarter when i left my brother and his son to sit in the paddock bar whereupon we suddenly pumped on three goals. "I wish I had gone to the football today" I said to a couple of Demon supporters sitting next to me. PS Brad Green's confidence is utterly shot, the poor guy needs to rest in a nice paddock at Casey; or as Slim once said, "Leave Him in the Longyard".