Of course Watts won't be traded, but there's a reason that 90% of opposition supporters think he's soft. He is. Just like Gibbs is soft, Watts is soft. It doesn't mean he can't play, and it doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player, but he's as soft as butter. It's just the way he is. He's wired that way. Hurley isn't, Watts is. Watts has far more talent than Hurley, but Hurley impacts games far more than Watts. And that's because footy relies on contests. Contests aren't Jack's forte, but clean open footy is.

This won't please the multitude of Melbourne supporters that never want to hear a bad word about their darlings, but it's just the way it is. The good news ? He can develop a far better appetite for contested footy. And he will. But not enough to ever become a star. He just doesn't have it. I'll settle on a really clean 200 game player. And he will be.

• Like 3

Guest José Mourinho

Of course Watts won't be traded, but there's a reason that 90% of opposition supporters think he's soft. He is. Just like Gibbs is soft, Watts is soft. It doesn't mean he can't play, and it doesn't mean he can't be a valuable player, but he's as soft as butter. It's just the way he is. He's wired that way. Hurley isn't, Watts is. Watts has far more talent than Hurley, but Hurley impacts games far more than Watts. And that's because footy relies on contests. Contests aren't Jack's forte, but clean open footy is.

This won't please the multitude of Melbourne supporters that never want to hear a bad word about their darlings, but it's just the way it is. The good news ? He can develop a far better appetite for contested footy. And he will. But not enough to ever become a star. He just doesn't have it. I'll settle on a really clean 200 game player. And he will be.

No problem with this post - an accurate and honest appraisal.

This is the problem, it's in your make up you can not teach this.

Not true mate, as Barry Hall said recently they all thought Adam Goodes was really soft in his early years. Not now.

There is way too much garbage talked here about Watts, I would like to see him take the game on a bit more and I think he will.

And he cost us a goal in the first quarter. Had the chance to make a contest with robinson but chose to sit back and wait for the footy to arrive. Sure it was a bad kick but still. Pathetic effort which cost us 6 points

arrrr...it was a bad kick, it was cut off for f...sake, not his fault.

You may well be right here Ben, I also see the similarity to Gibbs. Let's see if he can develop the contested side of his game, with Neeld and now Malthouse in his corner he just might but as you say at least he is clean with the ball.

Jack had his standard 4 or 5 soft efforts but one stood out to me that I didn't notice at first, which ended up costing us a goal.

Bail's switch of play to Watts was a shocking decision in the first place, but Watts sensed Robinson coming and instead of jumping for the mark and attacking the ball, he took a couple of steps backward to avoid any body contact. Bruise free football right there.

Either watts sensed him or didn't sense him and has no peripheral vision. What gets me here is that in this position where you are going for the mark and a player attacks you from the side you are in a naturally defensive/protected position where it is pretty hard to get hurt. Just jump and attack the footy, brace yourself for the contest and stick your knee or leg out at the opponent. Don't they teach the footy basics?? Go watch a Yze masterclass on this. While Yze was soft, he knew how to position in himself and outmaneuvre in the contest so he wouldn't get hurt.

I am such a Watts fan and really want him to make it, but some of his efforts today were... limp is the best word I can think of. He is playing limp footy. But it is getting frustrating. In the last quarter he went back into the play, took a mark and got 50 metres from Betts. This showed good courage and good reading of the play. In the same quarter he chose not to go for a mark about 30 metres out for goal when he had a perfect run at it and would have jumped over the other people pushing and shoving. And that lazy, limp kick out that led to a goal summed up the attitude he displays too often.

He has got every skill, unique peripheral vision, can rack up possessions because of his reading of the play and can run as quick as any other bigger forward but lacks urgency and intensity. This was on full display today. Do we make him learn at AFL level or make him discover these traits in the VFL?

Jack Watts is naturally gifted and my take is he has never had to work to hard at his footy. Bailey continued to let Jack develop without being challenged, well Neeldy is riding him hard because he sees the potential. Watts is finally realising what it takes to play at this level

Guest José Mourinho

How about when Watts went back, filled the hole and took the fist in the back of the head from Betts, whilst holding the mark?

As Wayne Carey pointed out on the radio, doing that took some courage, and that will develop over time in the backline and eventually he'll be able to take that to the forward line.

• Like 4

I dont know about Watts. The idea of trying to bring him into the game with more posessions in defense as a floater often without an opponent is getting him more posessions but decision making is still an issue and this arvo everytime he did something impressive and smart he'd then go and do something slow or stupid and ruin it.

That waiting for the floating kick instead of attacking the ball or putting his body in the way to stop his opponent was annoying and I was disappointed when he got caught with the ball trying to be fancy a few times. he seemed slow at times. But he did some good things, wasnt our best player but wasnt our worst.

How about when Watts went back, filled the hole and took the fist in the back of the head from Betts, whilst holding the mark?

As Wayne Carey pointed out on the radio, doing that took some courage, and that will develop over time in the backline and eventually he'll be able to take that to the forward line.

Your right Watts did some great and couragious things today/tonight, but then he'd go and do the opposite later.

That's the thing with Jack Watts; he gets truckloads of criticism for a few poor and 'soft' plays, and his good deeds go unnoticed by many. The Melbourne website had him listed in the best players today.

• Like 1

Damn straight. He takes contested marks like that quite a bit. I seem to remember him taking a one hander against the Dogs whilst being mauled (pardon the pun).

That's the thing with Jack Watts; he gets truckloads of criticism for a few poor and 'soft' plays, and his good deeds go unnoticed by many. The Melbourne website had him listed in the best players today.

He got a lot of posession.

I still think soft is the wrong word, because I don't get the impression that he's afraid of being hurt or doesn't want to contest or anything like that that the word "soft" implies.

I liked whoever described his performance as "limp" on the first page (Maldonboy perhaps?). It's like he just doesn't get that split second shot of energy that the harder competitors get when the ball is there to be won. He gives a considered attack where others give an adrenaline surge driven attack. That's just how it seems to me, anyway.

I dont think its soft - sometimes he just seems like he is between minds about what to do or already thinking about what he is going to do two steps ahead and then not capitalising on the now if that makes sense?

Its about the lack of desire or fear to hurt (physically) the opposition legally when the opportunity arises.

He needs to learn to love to hate and love to hurt the opposition.

Need more tackles, bumps and bruises

Guest José Mourinho

Its about the lack of desire or fear to hurt (physically) the opposition legally when the opportunity arises.

He needs to learn to love to hate and love to hurt the opposition.

Need more tackles, bumps and bruises

It's funny though - I don't think I've ever seen this approach from Rohan Bail.

Or Gysberts. Or Howe. Or Jurrah. Or Blease. Or Garland. Or Bennell. Or Strauss... ad nauseum.

Yet Watts gets singled out repeatedly.

Brawn or brains

That time Watts stayed down 30 metres from goal was brains. 30 mtres out from goal with no crumbers around. He could see the other three would be unlikely to . mark and had the sense to stay down.

How many times did we have everyone flying and no crumbers only to see them collect the ball.

In a similar spot Tapscott foolishly ran back into the oncoming pack hoping for the heroic mark , cleaned up Howe (I think it was). He should have had the sense to stay down for the inevitable crumb.

By the way this thread is one of the worst. All it does is continue to break down the morale of the club.

We have too many dumb supporters

Edited by Harrisonrules
  • Like 4

" In the same quarter he chose not to go for a mark about 30 metres out for goal when he had a perfect run at it and would have jumped over the other people pushing and shoving"

yep

" but Watts sensed Robinson coming and instead of jumping for the mark and attacking the ball, he took a couple of steps backward to avoid any body contact. Bruise free football right there."

yep

And a few others too.

I'm a fan and I think he's the best user of the ball we have (maybe Clark) - but both those occasions reinforce the view of those who think that he's soft.

Compare and contrast young Tom MacDonald - same shape body - but wants the contest

Don't want Watts to be J Brown, but has to go when it's his turn... when it's his turn

Couldn't agree more.

I have been one of the Watts defenders. But I now cannot defend him. I think he has a peaheart. He does everything he can to avoid physical contact. Sure, he is smart and a good user of the ball most of the time. But I fear he will never become the forward we crave, because he has no appetite for the contest. Instead, he will dag off the half back flank and perform reasonably every second week.

That Mitch Robinson one was simply disgraceful.

Needs an attitude change.