• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Potential Shopping List

felixdacat

I found this post on the Sportal Forum that is a quote from HUN don't know of the accuracy but its a pretty interesting list.

(Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere)

http://www.heraldsun...f-1226278832964

I have bolded my potential shopping list

The Herald Sun has posted a list of free agents at every club

ADELAIDE

Chris Knights: 8 years, out of contract

Michael Doughty: 12, out of contract

Ben Rutten: 10, out of contract

Nathan Van Berlo: 8, signed to 2013

Graham John****: 12, signed to 2013

Brent Reilly: 11, signed to 2013

Scott Thompson: 8, signed to 2013

VERDICT: The Crows will be almost untouched by free agency. Ben Rutten has clocked up 10 years, but you don’t get the feeling he would be tempted. There may be some interest from Victorian clubs in Chris Knights, who is classified a restricted free agent.

BRISBANE LIONS

Josh Drummond: 8, out of contract

Jed Ad****: 9, out of contract

Daniel Merrett: 10, out of contract

Ashley McGrath: 12, out of contract

Jonathan Brown: 13, has option for 2013

Simon Black: 15, has clause for 2013

VERDICT: Brown and Black are stalwarts who, depending on the club’s development this year, may seek a move to a club in the premiership mode. Drummond, Ad**** and Merrett are injury-prone, but the Lions would be loathe to lose.

CARLTON

Jordan Russell: 8, out of contract

Heath Scotland: 9, out of contract

Bret Thornton: 10, out of contract

Andrew Carrazzo: 8, signed to 2013

Andrew Walker: 9, signed to 2014

Kade Simpson: 10, signed to 2014

Jarrad Waite: 11, signed to 2014

VERDICT: Carlton’s list management team has ensured most of its veterans are locked away, but they may have to work hard to retain Russell, who is only 25 and is unlikely to be in the club’s top 10 paid players, therefore is available to any other club.

COLLINGWOOD

Travis Cloke: 8, out of contract

Nick Maxwell: 8, out of contract

Heath Shaw: 9, out of contract

Ben Johnson: 13, out of contract

Dane Swan: 11, signed to 2014

VERDICT: The Pies have three stars out of contract on a restricted basis, but it may be costly to keep them. Rivals such as GWS would be stupid not to throw heaven and earth at Cloke, still just 24. Then the salary cap may come into play.

ESSENDON

Angus Monfries: 8, out of contract

Henry Slattery: 8, out of contract

Nathan Lovett-Murray: 8, out of contract

Brent Stanton: 9, out of contract

Ricky Dyson: 9, out of contract

David Hille: 12, out of contract

Mark McVeigh: 14, out of contract

Jason Winderlich: 10, signed to 2013

Jobe Watson: 10, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Stanton would attract serious interest if he was still out of contract at year’s end, but it’s hard to see him moving. The rest need big seasons to improve their currency.

FREMANTLE

Ryan Crowley: 8, out of contract

Luke McPharlin: 11, out of contract

Antoni Grover: 14, out of contract

Michael Johnson: 8, signed to 2013

Matthew Pavlich: 13, signed to 2014

David Mundy: 9, signed to 2014

Aaron Sandilands: 10, signed to 2014

VERDICT: The Dockers have already paid the king’s ransom on Pavlich, Mundy and Sandilands, their three highest-paid players, so are almost immune. McPharlin is a veteran playing out his career with the Dockers.

GEELONG

Shannon Byrnes: 9, out of contract

Steve Johnson: 11, out of contract

Josh Hunt: 12, out of contract

Paul Chapman: 13, out of contract

Corey Enright: 13, out of contract

Tom Lonergan: 10, signed to 2013

James Kelly: 11, signed to 2014

Andrew Mackie: 11, signed to 2014

Jimmy Bartel: 11, signed to 2015

Joel Corey: 13, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Seven players as free agents is cause for alarm, but Matthew Scarlett and David Wojcinski will most likely retire and free up salary-cap room. Johnson signed a three-year deal after seven seasons, and is now out again.

HAWTHORN

Tom Murphy: 8, out of contract

Clinton Young: 8, out of contract

Brad Sewell: 10, out of contract

Michael Osborne: 11, out of contract

Chance Bateman: 12, out of contract

Lance Franklin: 8, signed to 2013

Jarryd Roughead: 8, signed to 2014

Luke Hodge: 11, signed to 2013

Sam Mitchell: 12, option for 2013

VERDICT: Sewell is the worry. If a side in need of a hard midfi elder wanted the 28-year-old and could pay overs, how could he say no? And tellingly, how could Hawthorn ever hope to match any figure above $400,000?

MELBOURNE

Brent Moloney: 8, out of contract

Matthew Bate: 8, out of contract

Lynden Dunn: 8, out of contract

Mark Jamar: 10, out of contract

Jared Rivers: 10, out of contract

Brad Green: 13, out of contract

Colin Sylvia: 9, signed to 2013

Aaron Davey: 9, signed to 2013

VERDICT: A club like Melbourne with huge salary-cap room should actually benefi t from free agency. But having Jamar and Moloney out of contract is far from ideal. Bate and Dunn could be ideal pick-ups as unrestricted free agents.

NORTH MELBOURNE

Brent Harvey: 17, out of contract

Michael Firrito: 9, out of contract

Drew Petrie: 12, signed to 2013

Daniel Wells: 10, signed to 2013

Hamish McIntosh: 10, signed to 2013

VERDICT: North has its key players tucked away nicely, given it has a young list with only a handful of quality veterans. Petrie signed again recently to take away any potential suitors.

PORT ADELAIDE

Jacob Surjan: 8, out of contract

Troy Chaplin: 9, out of contract

Brett Ebert: 10, out of contract

Steven Salopek: 10, out of contract

Domenic Cassisi: 12, out of contract

Kane Cornes: 12, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Port does not disclose contract lengths, which makes predictions difficult. But after just three wins in 2011, few clubs would hold too much interest in their list. Chaplin, at 26, might be the exception who needs offer-matching.

RICHMOND

Brett Deledio: 8, out of contract

Nathan Foley: 8, out of contract

Luke McGuane: 8 out of contract

Kelvin Moore: 9, out of contract

Shane Tuck: 9, out of contract

Daniel Jackson: 9, signed to 2013

Chris Newman: 12, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Deledio, still only 24, is the worry. If an opposition club came with an $800,000-a-season offer, the Tigers could still match it under the rules, but they don’t want to get into a bidding war. Same applies to Nathan Foley.

ST KILDA

Raphael Clarke: 9, out of contract

Sam Fisher: 9, out of contract

Brendon Goddard: 10, out of contract

Leigh Montagna: 11, out of contract

Justin Koschitzke: 11, out of contract

Lenny Hayes: 14, out of contract

Stephen Milne: 12, signed to 2013

Jason Gram: 9, signed to 2013

Nick Dal Santo: 11, signed to 2013

Nick Riewoldt: 11, signed to 2013

VERDICT: The problem is not just that GWS is reputedly considering Goddard. It is that Fisher and Montagna are both out of contract as well. Can the Saints keep all three?

SYDNEY

Jarred Moore: 8, out of contract

Nick Malceski: 10, out of contract

Jarrad McVeigh: 10, out of contract

Jude Bolton: 14, out of contract

Ryan O’Keefe: 12, out of contract

Lewis Roberts-Thomson: 11, signed to 2013

Adam Goodes: 15, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Sydney will be fine under free agency, because it never loses players it wants, and it has extra salary-cap space to keep them if rivals do come. The more pertinent issue is who the Swans can lure.

WEST COAST

Matt Rosa: 8, out of contract

Mark Nicoski: 10, out of contract

Quinten Lynch: 10, out of contract

Daniel Kerr: 12, out of contract

Darren Glass: 13, out of contract

Sam Butler: 9, signed to 2013

Mark LeCras: 8, signed to 2014

Beau Waters: 9, signed to 2013

Adam Selwood: 10, signed to 2013

Dean Cox: 12, signed to 2013

Andrew Embley: 14, signed to 2013

VERDICT: Surely West Coast’s resurgence means those players who could leave for big cash or potential premierships will stay put. Hard to see the skipper Glass leaving, and if Kerr’s body holds up, he will be a top priority for the Eagles.

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Will Minson: 10, out of contract

Lindsay Gilbee: 13, out of contract

Ryan Hargrave: 13, out of contract

Dale Morris: 8, signed to 2013

Tom Williams: 8, signed to 2014

Ryan Griffen: 8, signed to 2015

Matthew Boyd: 9, signed to 2013

Adam Cooney: 9, signed to 2013

Brian Lake: 11, signed to 2013

Daniel Cross: 11, signed to 2013

Daniel Giansiracusa: 12, signed to 2013

Robert Murphy: 13, signed to 2013

VERDICT: The Dogs’ have already struck a blow against free agency, signing up Griffen. Most of their veterans are locked away until 2013. Only Minson could interest suitors if he has a big season.

Top-10 paid player who has played at one club for eight or nine seasons and is out of contract:

* Can field offers from rival clubs

* Current club can match best offer

* If the club matches offer, player must stay, seek a trade or enter the draft

* If the club does not match offer, player can move to new club

* Original club receives compensation pick for the loss of the player, based on AFL formula

Player who has served 10 or more seasons at one club

* Original club does not have right to match offer

* Player can move automatically to new club

* Original club receives compensation pick for the loss of the player, based on AFL formula

Bottom-30 paid player who has played at one club for eight or nine seasons and is out of contract

* Current club does not have right to match best offer

* Player can move automatically to new club

Big one that you've highlighted there which hasn't been spoken much about on here is Shannon Byrnes. Would be the perfect fit as the small forward we're lacking and I'm presuming wouldn't mind a regular senior game as well.

• Like 2

Are they really suggesting Jonathan Brown might walk out to go to a premiership chance? That would be such a ludicrous blow against loyalty in football that I'd almost have to apologise to Tom Scully.

I don't think free agency is offering us much of what we want.

I'd prefer to explore the interstate star player who wants to return to Melbourne. Given we have draft picks and cash we could do a "Judd" like deal to capture what we need.

Hence, I would target GC's emerging star mids, and 22-26 yr old victorians from interstate clubs.

The Sewell comments make all sorts of wheels spin in my head...

It would be our luck Jose, that we got Brad, then someone like the Bulldogs picked up his brother and Myles went on and won a Brownlow.

Oops, this isn't the sibling thread is it?! Sorry.

Seriously though, looking at the Free Agency as our "way" of getting what we want is dangerous. It's a limited shopping list, and going by the above names, there aint much there that will leave their current clubs. There is some loyalty in the AFL.

Our attitude should be that EVRYONE is on our radar, not just restricting it to 8 year + players.

Is there an echo in here? Didn't this thread get posted a week or two ago....? Outdated info too, as stated in the other thread, Deledio has already re-signed.

As I said I was not sure of the accuracy and I did apologies if it had already been posted.

• Like 1

I think our realistic targets, based on our needs, would be:

Ricky Dyson - a better kick than anyone in our back 6. Has improved a lot from what I saw against the Eagles. I don't expect to him to be a regular at Essendon once they get everyone back from injury.

Josh Hunt - probably too old but could play a role for 2 years as the 'quarterback' with A+ kicking. Then again, might only stifle Strauss' development.

Clinton Young - I would be throwing everything at this bloke. Outside class we so desparately need. Like the Sewell comments, I couldn't really see Hawthorn being able to match a 3 year, $400k a year type deal. Might even be one like Sydney with Mumford where you have to take a risk and offer a longer contract (such as 4 years) to really entice him.

Shannon Byrnes - Certainly no star but might provide just as much as Aaron Davey, and would come at half the price.

Im suprised nobody here has mentioned Daniel Kerr yet.

He is exactly the type of quick midfield clearance player we need, with great experience. Id throw his name on the table, thats for sure.

We need pace and skill and that is better resourced in the draft or trading for draft picks. I would be very wary of going after recycled players unless they fill a real need for us. Too often they fail, Sellar and his ruck mate of a few years ago who I have forgotten spring to mind. If however you could find a player like Kennedy who went to the Swans, then go for it, but again that is not a money exercise.

I think our realistic targets, based on our needs, would be:

Ricky Dyson - a better kick than anyone in our back 6. Has improved a lot from what I saw against the Eagles. I don't expect to him to be a regular at Essendon once they get everyone back from injury.

Josh Hunt - probably too old but could play a role for 2 years as the 'quarterback' with A+ kicking. Then again, might only stifle Strauss' development.

Clinton Young - I would be throwing everything at this bloke. Outside class we so desparately need. Like the Sewell comments, I couldn't really see Hawthorn being able to match a 3 year, $400k a year type deal. Might even be one like Sydney with Mumford where you have to take a risk and offer a longer contract (such as 4 years) to really entice him.

Shannon Byrnes - Certainly no star but might provide just as much as Aaron Davey, and would come at half the price.

Josh Hunt = NO. Would (dis)like it a lot if he played for Melbourne. Is a liability at Geelong.

Shannon Byrnes = NO. How many of Geelong's fringe players make it at other teams (of their recent era)?

Agree with Young.

We need pace and skill and that is better resourced in the draft or trading for draft picks. I would be very wary of going after recycled players unless they fill a real need for us. Too often they fail, Sellar and his ruck mate of a few years ago who I have forgotten spring to mind. If however you could find a player like Kennedy who went to the Swans, then go for it, but again that is not a money exercise.

We're not looking for recycled players - we're looking for established stars.

Edited by Demonator
  • Like 2

Too often they fail, Sellar and his ruck mate of a few years ago who I have forgotten spring to mind.

you've forgotten him because he barely played any games! .... john meesen

Deledio has been signed up. And you didnt highlight Goddard which is rather surprising. Also Moloney for Stanton, ahahha imagine that!

• Like 1

Im suprised nobody here has mentioned Daniel Kerr yet.

He is exactly the type of quick midfield clearance player we need, with great experience. Id throw his name on the table, thats for sure.

Do not touch him that is my advice, I know we have a choir boy image and people think that is why we stayed away from Darling but that is not the main reason not to. Also body could break at any time the way Kerry plays. He is starting to look sore in the last couple of games and the same happened toward the end of last season.

I think he will become sorer sooner into seasons in the next year or two and will struggle to get out on the track and get his best football. Cons outweigh the pros for me

Clinton Young and Nathan Foley are 2 realistic possibilities for us to target.

Young could be that rebounding half-back that we so desperately need. Has recovered this year from a few injury issues in previous years and is hitting his straps. Also, he can free up J. Grimes to have more of a run in the midfield.

Foley is rated much more highly at Richmond than outsiders believe. Has returned to some of his best form this year and would definitely raise the bar in our otherwise uncompetitive midfield.

Clinton Young - definite yes. Outside pace and great footskills

Brad Sewell - even though I really rate him, I would rather invest in Viney and poor ever-injured Gysberts.

ive heard that Nathan Foley trains harder than anyone else on the list and is one of the hardest trainers in the AFL.

I'd like to have a big crack at Nathan Foley, Sam Fisher, Paul Chapman, & Heath Scotland, Keep our early picks for U-18's.

Offer Nathan Foley a big $$$$ contract.

Sam Fisher, I'd trade one player (Sylvia/Morton) to Saints.

Give Chappy > lure him with 2 years + $$$ .... or > Moloney.

Heath Scotland > lure him with 2 Years + $$$

some class & some grunt & plenty of leadership...

Sorry, w

I'd like to have a big crack at Nathan Foley, Sam Fisher, Paul Chapman, & Heath Scotland, Keep our early picks for U-18's.

Offer Nathan Foley a big $$$$ contract.

Sam Fisher, I'd trade one player (Sylvia/Morton) to Saints.

Give Chappy > lure him with 2 years + $$$ .... or > Moloney.

Heath Scotland > lure him with 2 Years + $$$

some class & some grunt & plenty of leadership...

Not necessarily against going after Chapman or Foley for that matter, but Fisher? Our backs are about the only settled line on the list. Experienced midfielders with leadership, pacey outside mids with good foot skills, a small forward and probably another KP forward (wouldn't say no to Cloke).