Any of our young players potential star material? And who?

Wth the exception of "Cut sick".

I know I am getting on, can you humour me what does that mean?

I think he means that the young lad will be jolly good old dee!

• Like 1

FFS, OD. I'd just get shot down by nattering nabobs who know the future just as well as I do...

All of 'em.

McKenzie will be Ling like.

Bail will be Swan like.

We will win many flags, everyone will die happy, and Demonland will close down.

The End.

No that is not a prediction that is a cop out.

Who will be stars, good and not make it.

come on take your courage in your hands and go for it!

Ok Then I think Jones is cut sick right now.

Care to make any predictions hardtack?

Jones is fully sick! (and I will never waver from my comment a couple of years ago that he will be our Chapman) I predict that Howe will be a superstar if he can temper his approach and not try to win mark of the year every time he goes near a pack. I also predict that Gawn will be the Sandilands for the next generation, Gysberts will be a latter day Robbie Flower and once he has belief in himself, Watts will be better than Reiwoldt and may even be almost Buddy-like.

• Like 1

Wth the exception of "Cut sick".

I know I am getting on, can you humour me what does that mean?

Cut sick is a way of saying cut loose. (sorry old Dee, might be a local thing to say here in Tassie, not sure)

No that is not a prediction that is a cop out.

Who will be stars, good and not make it.

come on take your courage in your hands and go for it!

Why don't you, OD?

I think we all know the answer anyway...

Trengove, Howe, Viney, Clark, Frawley, and McKenzie will be in the elite of what they do, and they will make Grimes, McDonald, Gysberts, Blease, Garland, Watts, Jurrah, and probably one or two of the kids we will get this draft look like they are in the elite of what they do.

If you don't think that is an answer I have nothing for you, OD.

Why don't you, OD?

I think we all know the answer anyway...

Trengove, Howe, Viney, Clark, Frawley, and McKenzie will be in the elite of what they do, and they will make Grimes, McDonald, Gysberts, Blease, Garland, Watts, Jurrah, and probably one or two of the kids we will get this draft look like they are in the elite of what they do.

If you don't think that is an answer I have nothing for you, OD.

Look back up the thread I have done just that in post number 16.

Edited by old dee

Could be stars - Trengove and Viney hopefully , Watts and Jurrah if they want to be .

Very good or could be very good - McDonald , Gysberts , Tapscott , Grimes , Howe , Clark , Jones , Garland , Frawley

Good or could be good - Bartram , Bail , McKenzie , Morton , Bennell , Jetta , Petterd , Martin (25yo)

Too early to call - Blease , Strauss , Magner etc etc .

Only Bartram and maybe Jones , McKenzie and Clark are at their optimum , though of course , all players can improve , anytime .

Going through the list , it's simply amazing how many players are out of form . I've rated all players 24 years old or younger . There are a few (or more than a few) that won't make it but as a general rule I don't like putting a line through young players at this stage of the season - maybe at the end of the season . The senior players wouldn't get off as lightly though .

Far too many coodabeens at the moment though . Apologies if I've missed a player .

Edited by Macca

I really cannot see any stars at this stage

Plenty of potential for sure but then we have been conned for years by potentially good players underperforming or withering on the list in front of our eyes

I just hope some on the list join Jones Clark and Magner and have a go! Im not looking for stars at this stage just players who look like they want the footy and play with desperation like many of the ordinary players in teams above us

We start to compete and maybe on the back of that confidence will grow and we might see some stars perform

At the moment I would trade the whole bunch if I could

Watts (I am gonna get flamed, but I still think 2-3 years and the penny drops and he will cut sick!)

Gawn (I think will be one of the best ruckmen in the league once he gets a body to stand up to AFL)

... this might sound odd, but I think Jones is on a similar trajectory to Swan, and will improve significantly (as Swan did under Neeld)

I really think that the team has to believe, trust the new coaches explicitly and without question, and in a couple of years these names will look like stars/elite players because they function as a part of an elite team. I don't see an Ablett or Judd like talent on our team, but you get my point.

Agree on your thoughts on Jones here. Chunk's workrate has gone up a notch this year and with Neeld to guide him will keep improving as a player.

I think at this time now we have Mitch clark as our only A grade player but Nathan jones is about 1 year away from being a star he will get there not from the best skills but bloody hard work. Jack watts and james Frawley should get there and Viney should make it.

• Like 1

1. James Frawley. Already in the best 50 players in the AFL. In a top 4 team he would be recognised as an absolute star. Pretty hard to be a star when average losing margin is 50 points and you play full back.

2. Jack Trengove. Way too much criticism. 20 years old and already captain on an AFL club. Showed last year he's every bit a potential star, nothing in 7 rounds of this year changes that.

That's the only 2.

I had such high hopes for Grimes, Watts, Jurrah etc. It pains me how bad Melbourne FC is at turning great youngsters into genuine stars of the competition

So come on rpfc get off the fence and make a prediction

Why would you make a prediction. I have banged on about it being less about who we have recruited and more about our failure to develop.I have friends who dont barrack for the Dees who at different times have seen lots in Bate, Dunne, Petterd etc only to ask me what has gone wrong with them.

Look at the Swans and how they manage to develop adequate footballers into week in week out performers and in some footballers - 'stars"

Besides the obvious win/loss column improvement, the making of this new regime is whether they can develop the players and take them from obvious talent into consistent performers (and in some cases stars)

I see a lot of potential very good players, but not stars. I think our sanitised recruiting policy has robbed us of that. Most of the time the true superstars have attitude, and that is something we have been actively avoiding. We need to start recruiting players with some serious attitude and arrogance, as well as the ability to back it up.

Summed it up perfectly. Clark has the the "ATTiTUDE" and he stands out like dogs balls. Howe could be anything but as always it comes down to how we develop our players. Gysbert falls into the same category. The simple truth is we can't afford to keep looking at the draft as our salvation and need to work with what we got. For the record I think that Watts, Trengove, Howe, Mckenzie and Gysberts have the potential to all be stars.

I suppose it depends upon how you define "star". I define a "star" as someone that reaches the heights of Carey, Hird, Franklin, Judd, Matthews, Ablett, Barassi, etc. And I've only ever seen one at Melbourne - Flower. I've seen champions of our club in Neitz, Stynes, Lyon, Viney, Wells, etc but only one true star of the game. A star rises above their own club to be recognised by all and sundry. If you need an argument to establish whether a player is a star then they're not a star, because a star is obvious to everyone.

They're not easy to unearth, so the liklihood is that we don't have a genuine star on our list. But you never know, we may unearth someone. Other clubs get them, so it's about time we did. I think Trengove has the ability if he's allowed to play on instinct. Jack Viney goes about it in a fashion that he'll leave no stone unturned to be one and we know he's got talent, so he's a genuine chance.

• Like 4

I suppose it depends upon how you define "star". I define a "star" as someone that reaches the heights of Carey, Hird, Franklin, Judd, Matthews, Ablett, Barassi, etc. And I've only ever seen one at Melbourne - Flower. I've seen champions of our club in Neitz, Stynes, Lyon, Viney, Wells, etc but only one true star of the game. A star rises above their own club to be recognised by all and sundry. If you need an argument to establish whether a player is a star then they're not a star, because a star is obvious to everyone.

They're not easy to unearth, so the liklihood is that we don't have a genuine star on our list. But you never know, we may unearth someone. Other clubs get them, so it's about time we did. I think Trengove has the ability if he's allowed to play on instinct. Jack Viney goes about it in a fashion that he'll leave no stone unturned to be one and we know he's got talent, so he's a genuine chance.

Agree with all you say

and for all those reasons Watts is still very young and has the Federer stamp of ease of execution that could make him the equal of Trengove cant wait to see combine Both different characteristics completely different

Watts a little like Greig Trengove a little like Williams

Why would you make a prediction. I have banged on about it being less about who we have recruited and more about our failure to develop.I have friends who dont barrack for the Dees who at different times have seen lots in Bate, Dunne, Petterd etc only to ask me what has gone wrong with them.

Look at the Swans and how they manage to develop adequate footballers into week in week out performers and in some footballers - 'stars"

Besides the obvious win/loss column improvement, the making of this new regime is whether they can develop the players and take them from obvious talent into consistent performers (and in some cases stars)

nutbean it is just a bit of fun on a Dees supporters web site.

Why not?

It is not the end of the world if we get it wrong.

Just part of the fun of being able to discuss things about the MFC with fellow supporters.

Do you think Blease knows I exist let alone cares what I think of his ability.

I am struggling to see the harm

• Like 1