Any of our young players potential star material? And who?

How do you guys rate what you've seen of our younger generation? I guess starting with Grimes and Trenners. Blease, Watts, McDonald, Gysberts, Fitzpatrick, Bail, Bartram, Jordie Mc, etc.

Any players you think you've seen some real quality from? Or potential? Any players you just have an unsupported hunch about?

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Trengove will be a star, just has to overcome the hurdles he has been faced with this year. Aside from him I have the most faith in Blease, Cook and Gysberts. I really hope these guys come through for us. Don't think Fitz will make it to be honest, though I am happy to be proven wrong.

Any of our top 20 picks are "potential" stars based on their draft position, but it's the turning them INTO stars where we struggle...

Personally Gysberts is the one I see the most in the category though, based on his "James Hirdiness" (ie: possible ability to just roam the ground getting the ball, delivering beautifully, kicking goals).. Other guys like Trengove, Grimes, Viney may become stars in their positions but Gysberts just has that special kind of talent where he won't need as much of a defined position.

• Like 1

Blease, Jurrah, Gysberts, Viney.

All unproven, but those are the 4 I'm excited about. I've seen enough of the rest to be less enthusiastic.

Sigh.

Agree with these 4 would add Howe and Watts

• Like 1

Gysberts really excites me. If you go back and watch some footage of his early games I was surprised by how much talent this kid seems to have. Winning contested footy at his age and size at the time.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Jurrah is the only potential superstar on our list IMO.

We have plenty more that could become very very good but Jurrah can do things others cant, and is the only one that i could imagine otther teams supporters wishing they had in the next 3-5 years

• Like 1

We have plenty more that could become very very good but Jurrah can do things others cant, and is the only one that i could imagine otther teams supporters wishing they had in the next 3-5 years

I would even say Jurrah is already a star. Has deficiencies in his game, sure, but has all the talent and "star quality" you could ask for, guess it depends on what the OP's definition of star is.

• Like 1

Sure - I said potential star - i think Mitch already is.

To us maybe cos he's won us over quickly, but wouldn't say he's a star in the bigger picture of the AFL.... yet

Edited by stuie

I see a lot of potential very good players, but not stars. I think our sanitised recruiting policy has robbed us of that. Most of the time the true superstars have attitude, and that is something we have been actively avoiding. We need to start recruiting players with some serious attitude and arrogance, as well as the ability to back it up.

• Like 1

We are in agreement DemonWA

Jurrah is the only one at this point that looks to me to be a potential Star.

Of the others a number of them could be good players that play a lot of games.

Some it is too early to tell and others in my opinion will not be more than average.

Now I am about to do something that is unwise because this will come back to bite but here is my list.

Stars - only one Jurrah

Good players - Trengove, Grimes, Gysberts, Morton, Howe and Watts

Average - Strauss, Tappscott, Fitzpatrick, Spencer

Won't make it - Blease, Jetta, Nicholson, Evans, and Bennell

Who the hell would know been at the Dees 5 minutes

- Couch, Sheahan, Williams, Taggert, Cook and Tynan.

I have probably missed someone.

Now I will sit back and wait to be made to look like a fool!

Edited by old dee

We are in agreement DemonWA

Jurrah is the only one at this point that looks to me to be a potential Star.

Of the others a number of them could be good players that play a lot of games.

Some it is too early to tell and others in my opinion will not be more than average.

Now I am about to do something that is unwise because this will come back to bite but here is my list.

Stars - only one Jurrah

Good players - Trengove, Grimes, Gysberts, Morton, Howe and Watts

Average - Strauss, Tappscott, Fitzpatrick, Spencer

Won't make it - Blease, Jetta, Nicholson, Evans, and Bennell

Who the hell would know been at the Dees 5 minutes

- Couch, Sheahan, Williams, Taggert, Cook and Tynan.

I have probably missed someone.

Now I will sit back and wait to be made to look like a fool!

Blease is a much, much, much better footballer than Fitzpatrick.

Blease is a much, much, much better footballer than Fitzpatrick.

Only my opinion GL

You may be correct.

I just have a low opinion of Blease.

As I said may come back to bite me.

I will happily agree I was wrong when he wins the Brownlow.

( fat Chance)

There's plenty of talent on the list, turning them into stars has been made easier with Misson helping them build bodies to reach their potential.

Trengove, Gysberts, Clark, Watts, Blease, Viney, Howe, and Jurrah all have the necessary skill and talent from what I have seen. But whether they fulfil that is an entirely different question.

• Like 1

There's plenty of talent on the list, turning them into stars has been made easier with Misson helping them build bodies to reach their potential.

Trengove, Gysberts, Clark, Watts, Blease, Viney, Howe, and Jurrah all have the necessary skill and talent from what I have seen. But whether they fulfil that is an entirely different question.

So come on rpfc get off the fence and make a prediction

Trengove will be a great player. We need to make sure we recruit or develop the right players to support him. Viney will be a good start and if Gysberts can come on then that would help too.

Watts (I am gonna get flamed, but I still think 2-3 years and the penny drops and he will cut sick!)

Gawn (I think will be one of the best ruckmen in the league once he gets a body to stand up to AFL)

... this might sound odd, but I think Jones is on a similar trajectory to Swan, and will improve significantly (as Swan did under Neeld)

I really think that the team has to believe, trust the new coaches explicitly and without question, and in a couple of years these names will look like stars/elite players because they function as a part of an elite team. I don't see an Ablett or Judd like talent on our team, but you get my point.

Watts (I am gonna get flamed, but I still think 2-3 years and the penny drops and he will cut sick!)

Gawn (I think will be one of the best ruckmen in the league once he gets a body to stand up to AFL)

... this might sound odd, but I think Jones is on a similar trajectory to Swan, and will improve significantly (as Swan did under Neeld)

I really think that the team has to believe, trust the new coaches explicitly and without question, and in a couple of years these names will look like stars/elite players because they function as a part of an elite team. I don't see an Ablett or Judd like talent on our team, but you get my point.

Wth the exception of "Cut sick".

I know I am getting on, can you humour me what does that mean?

Edited by old dee

If Howe can start to kick straight from set shots he'll be taking steps in the right direction. When Malthouse was commentating the game very Geelong he spoke very highly of him, Neeld as well has singled him out as well on a number of occasions.

Trenners, Watts, Grimes, Tappy, and Gysberts (if he can get out on the park) are the others with great potential.

Edited by Pates

So come on rpfc get off the fence and make a prediction

FFS, OD. I'd just get shot down by nattering nabobs who know the future just as well as I do...

All of 'em.

McKenzie will be Ling like.

Bail will be Swan like.

We will win many flags, everyone will die happy, and Demonland will close down.

The End.

• Like 4