Free Agents

dee-luded

It has to be someone with pace. I firmly beleive that our biggest problem is that our midfield is one paced

Bate / jones / moloney / trengove / sylvia / magner / all the same.

we need burst players, Sewell is not aburst player.

We need Daniel Kerr

Guest José Mourinho

Had no way of getting there so took the next best option? :confused:

Presumably what you're saying is he'd do it for the money. I don't think we'd be able to offer a player like Sewell so much money that it would look more attractive than earning not much less at Hawthorn, vying for a flag and staying with his mates. This isn't the same thing as Scully, Ablett et al - those were monstrous amounts of money that they'd have been stupid to pass up. That won't be the case here.

FA's not going to be an effective way of stealing players from other clubs, because by and large most players are actually fairly deeply rooted in the club they're in and wouldn't leave to scrape out a few extra bucks. It's designed for helping the Luke Balls of the world, who are mature players getting a bum deal at the club they're at. These players are actually few and far between - I wouldn't be surprised to see zero FA moves most years.

Re: Sewell's availability, if you subscribe to the same theory as this article

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/midfield-mix-source-of-hawthorns-struggles-20120504-1y4ka.html

and another in the HS, being that Hawthorn's midfield group is far too one-paced, then Sewell would look to be the one with the short straw in the group of hawks midfielders that aren't elite runners (named as Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell).

If he's not getting a regular shot in the middle, suddenly it becomes a tad more realistic.

Worth watching.

If the following moves are touted then this is interesting.

Let's say for example that at the end of the season Brad Green would have been moved on or retired and Davey may be shipped out. This frees up a very, very large amount of cap room, on top of the already remaining which is still reasonably large.

Now players touted above are Kerr and Sewell. Kerr at 29 is still a decent player BUT some loyalty must shine through there. Brad Sewell is of a similair age and is now part of an ageing midfield group which is being exposed. Do we need 4-6 in and under clearance players at the club all playing simultaneously in the best 22, simply no. Unless Moloney moves on to the Dons then this Sewell trade could be a possibility.

Also seeing as though Sewell would replicate a Green/Davey contract, this could occur. Then there is the rest.

B.Goddard, a gun HBF, of which we have one developing in Grimes, would significantly improve the defence. His nouse and ability to rotate into the midfield would help massively. BUT GWS could, and more than likely will come up with the $$.

Travis Cloke is one that I reckon Neeld would love to nab. He knows him personally, knows his gamestyle, as do most, and most of all he fits into the gameplan, the two power fwds, Clark being the second. With Freo in the mix, along with GWS, and Pies pretty confident, can we cut their lunch? I think we can. This allows Watts to be a floater which he truly is and allows Cook to be groomed in the VFL for an extra few years.

So what have we got to lose, not much, what do we have to gain. A FAIR BIT!

Go Dees

Edited by DEELIRIOUS

WTF? Get a grip man. Moloney might not be in the top 20 players in the comp, but his form last year was very good and he had plenty of great games. What more does this guy need to do for people to rate him?

He needs to do a lot more against top sides. Sorry but i don't rate his Bluey very highly.

I would not say that, and you are taking out all of the UFA - the ones that are easier to get.

We have few decent experienced leaders and I would love to have Black for a couple years of Sewell for three or four.

The value will be what effect they can have on our kids - who have few, if any, good role models.

I doubt Black became role model material recently, pretty sure he was still very much a leader at 27 and earlier. Point being there are plenty of role model types in the game right now 27 and under, those are the guys that should be identified and targetted.

Reality is the club would be lucky to be playing finals in 2 years, let alone pushing for a premiership.

I'd rather pursue personnel that's a good chance to still be around for a premiership tilt, not risky old players creating holes in the list a couple of years from now.

Sam mitchell and brendon goddard, would be my main targets.... After that would be Cloke and stanton.....we'd have a big chance at Stanton, considering all the flak he's gotten from bomber fans.............

Goddard or Stanton would be the most likely stars I believe. However Stanton is not really reknowned for leg speed so might not be quite ideal. Though any kind of quality player would be welcome at the MFC I would hope. I really hope we make a big play at Goddard...

We need a Harley Bennell type. Young with pace and skills and kicks goals!

We need to move on Bate for one. He is the type we dont need. If anybody watched the Sunday Footy Show handball you would know why!

We all no he cant kick right foot but he is a really bad handballer aswell as being slow. Sorry Bater your flawed!

Just watching essendon and west coast , Ricky Dyson would be a interesting prospect as a free agent , has some speed can win his own ball , a very accurate kick , just starting to mature I reckon, could def add some experience and pace to our midfield , thoughts ??

Two other free agents that would def be pursuing considering the saints salary cap crisis are Leigh montagna and Farren Ray , we need to recruit a combination of elite young talent and some mature hard bodies to replace some of own senior place who just aren't up to it consistently

An interesting one for mine is Steven Salopek from Port Adelaide. Every time he plays he gets 25 touches. Very much a faster outside player who does hit targets but is simply out of favour with Primus. Could be a player who comes on if he moves away from the club. I'd certainly entertain offering him some money.

dont know if this has been mentioned on another thread.. but Channel 7 reported that the Dees were throwing their horns in the ring and are making a long term offer to Cloke

word on the street says its a 7 year deal

Clark & Cloke.. HUGE

doubt he would come

but if he did..now to draft mids that can actually deliver the ball into our forward 50 :(

Really? NO! We need midfielders! Cloke would be a massive waste of free agent cash! (Unless, of course, we're recruiting him as the biggest-bodied midfielder ever..........)

• Like 1

Really? NO! We need midfielders! Cloke would be a massive waste of free agent cash! (Unless, of course, we're recruiting him as the biggest-bodied midfielder ever..........)

Dissagree a little here. We need a functional forward line too. Cant ask clarke to do it all.

Bringing in Cloke and then drafting / trading like mad for a midfield would be great. Clarke and Cloke with Watts and Jurrah second tier forwards. Then have the crumbers.

Midfield can be decent pretty quickly. Trengrove is good. Gysberts can be good. Jones is doing well with Magner another able back up. Presumably Viney will be entering the team next year, we still have many other decent picks to continue the midfield build. Trade for a decent midfielder and also draft Viney and another up and coming one.

Another year of rubbish and we are done.

Having said all of this - i would fall off my chair if he did come!

• Like 1

Guest strawberry_gumdrops

Midfield can be decent pretty quickly? Well, why hasn't it happened already? I agree Viney will bolster it but relying on Gysberts and other who have yet to stake a claim is foolish.

If we use our first round compo on Cloke I will spew!

dont know if this has been mentioned on another thread.. but Channel 7 reported that the Dees were throwing their horns in the ring and are making a long term offer to Cloke

word on the street says its a 7 year deal

Clark & Cloke.. HUGE

doubt he would come

but if he did..now to draft mids that can actually deliver the ball into our forward 50 :(

A 7 year deal to a 25 year old is ridiculous, let alone to any player. I really hope we don't try and get him, money and picks can be better spent else where.

Midfield can be decent pretty quickly? Well, why hasn't it happened already? I agree Viney will bolster it but relying on Gysberts and other who have yet to stake a claim is foolish.

If we use our first round compo on Cloke I will spew!

RFAs and UFAs don't require trades to be made - the club will be compensated.

Too true, I forgot about that. Still a no from me.

Dangerfield set to re-sign at Crows apparently. No confirmation yet.. they were talking about it on tv yesterday. Can't remember what on.

Guest José Mourinho

Personally, I love it.

The media of late have been talking about MFC as if we'll be ravaged by free agency (AFL 360 especially) and moves like this, whether they come off or not, completely tip that perspective on its head.

We're a shark, not a clownfish.

Even if it's only a PR move, it's brilliant.

Getting Cloke would be even better.

• Like 2

And, who are they going to "ravish" from us.. we have no one.

Lol, go for Moloney.. fill your boots!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Junior over @ 'Ology.

Interesting list of those eligible for Free Agency at the end of the year.....

ADEL

Doughty, Knights

BRIS

Adcock Black Brown Drummond McGrath

CARL

Scotland Russell Thronton

COLL

Cloke Johnson O'Brien Shaw

ESS

Dyson Fletcher Hille lovett-M Monfries Slattery Stanton

FREO

Crowley Grover McPharlin

GEEL

Byrnes CHapman Enright Johnson Scarlett Wojinski

HAW

Bateman Hodge Mitchell Murphy Osborne Sewell Young

MELB

Dunn Bate Green Jamar Moloney Rivers

PORT

Cassisi Chaplin Ebert Pearce Salopek Surjan

NM

Harvey Firrito

RICH

Deledio Foley McGuane moore Tuck

ST K

Blake Clarke Fisher Goddard Gram Gwilt Hayes Kozi Milne Montagna

SYD

Bolton McVeigh Moore

WCE

Butler Embley Glass Lynch Kerr Nicoski Rosa

WBD

Gilbee Hargrave Minson

I'd like Sam > > X 2.

http://www.footywire...nts--sam-fisher

http://www.footywire...s--sam-mitchell

Couldn't resist. These guys would have to be "dee-luded" to express a desire to cross over to Melbourne surely? (apart from the MFC listed guys)...................:) only joking!!!!

Couldn't resist. These guys would have to be "dee-luded" to express a desire to cross over to Melbourne surely? (apart from the MFC listed guys)................... :) only joking!!!!

Great post Dee-Luded

Go for Stanton Goddard McPharlin and Cloke. Hold onto Moloney and make him Skip next year. Say sorry to Grimesy and Trenners.

Taken that many in this forum are anti Moloney right now.

Slightly out of context but would like to share this article my Martin Flannigan. IMO he is on the money re Moloney and the other skipper alternatives Dees had to choose from.

Malthouse lovefest would work a treat as well.