deanox

Ricky didn't have his own thread, and given there has been a bit of talk about him I thought I'd start one up.

Ricky has obviously shown a lot off promise in his time at the mfc but has not been able to cement a spot. I think we'd all agree he can play when on song but he is inconsistent. For me, I think one of Ricky's strengths, his strong marking for his height, is also his biggest weakness.

Ricky needs to play as a small forward, a crumber. He is surrounded by taller players, yet he is inevitably the one who tries to go up instead of staying front and centre. I'm not saying that he shouldn't use his marking; it is a dangerous weapon when one out or when you have a clear sit, but in pack situations he should be playing the crumber role.

Add to that his forward pressure and courage I can see him making it, but of he doesn't adjust that aspect of his game he will continue to struggle.

• Like 1

Neeld obviously wants to find a spot for him, he was played in the first game he was available for in round 2. He had a shocker against the eagles where he looked under-done.

Needs to get his hands on the footy at Casey.

I would back his marking over many of the taller KPFs we have. I like the fact that he enjoys being a focus, taking a mark, kicking a sausage roll.

Up the field his field kicking lets him down and physically he is not the quickest or strongest.

Best advice I can give Ricky is to sit and watch tapes of Jeremy Howe, and understand that if you want to play as a HFF in the AFL at the moment, you need to add so much to your game.

I'm of the view that RP and JH are fighting for the one position, and at the moment, JH has it well and truly covered.

Would love to see Ricky back soon.He wins one on ones most of the time .

Given our impotent forward line, he's unforced absense has been one of the stories of the year.

Amazing we can't find a spot for him. Though I concede he had a very poor game V Wc (who didn't).

Maybe we trade him to Gold Coast if things don't work for the rest of the year.

Given our impotent forward line, he's unforced absense has been one of the stories of the year.

Amazing we can't find a spot for him. Though I concede he had a very poor game V Wc (who didn't).

Maybe we trade him to Gold Coast if things don't work for the rest of the year.

Our forward line has actually been good when it gets in there, which it hasnt been anywhere near enough. That's midfield impotence, not forwards.

Our forward line has actually been good when it gets in there, which it hasnt been anywhere near enough. That's midfield impotence, not forwards.

Agreed.

Our forward line is bloody good to kick any goals at all, considering how few forward 50 entries we get and how aweful the actual entries are.

Petterd does need a change though, he is behind Howe, Jurrah and even Dunn as a medium forward.

Why not put him to half back?

Petterd suffers from being not great at any one aspect of the game.

Big: no.

Strong: no.

Fast: no.

Good hands: no.

Good kick: no.

Good decision maker: no.

He's okay at lots of aspects and tries very hard - especially tackling and pressure - but he's not a great "footballer".

Tradebait? We would be lucky to get a nibble.

pettard is trade bait

Petterd may well be too - we have sure seen some potential.

Best advice I can give Ricky is to sit and watch tapes of Jeremy Howe, and understand that if you want to play as a HFF in the AFL at the moment, you need to add so much to your game.

I'm of the view that RP and JH are fighting for the one position, and at the moment, JH has it well and truly covered.

I was hoping this would be a "break out season" for RP but I think you make a good point re: JH. I'm happy the bar has been raised.

I obviously rate him higher than most, I would rather see him in the side than Dunn for instance.

I think there would be a number of clubs looking for his services posts season should things not work out.

I obviously rate him higher than most, I would rather see him in the side than Dunn for instance.

I think there would be a number of clubs looking for his services posts season should things not work out.

I'm pretty sure it was Dunn that did a very good job at shutting down Fisher on Saturday night, after the 1st quarter that is. I believe that's Neeld's best option with LD, play a defensive forward role, because he also makes his opposition accountable. To play him as an attacking HFF he struggles. But, this is where even Dunn has it over Ricky - I would not be confident giving that Fisher role to Ricky.

As one of the callers said a couple of weeks ago, our midfield depth is poor. We need our HFF to be able to solidly compete rotating through the midfield, and that's exactly what Howe has done. Petterd at this stage is an attacking HFF, who is ineffective going in to the midfield. If you want to be a "stand alone" HFF, you need to do what Dunn can do in terms of playing it as a defender.

Guest José Mourinho

Maybe to GC instead of the 2nd minidraft pick...

Although, we'd be losing too much then.

Petterd at this stage is an attacking HFF, who is ineffective going in to the midfield. If you want to be a "stand alone" HFF, you need to do what Dunn can do in terms of playing it as a defender.

Petterd is more creative as a midfielder than Dunn. He started on a wing/ HBF.

Petterd's best has been better than Dunn's best.

Edited by dandeeman

I would be putting Aaron Davey up for trade before Pet nowadays.

Davey is looking more and more like career dusted yet still would have some currency...

Ever since Davey had leg problems hes gone downhill and is getting on.

Davey only plays ok when hes fit and no longer has outstanding games nor can he run down opponents.

Ricky has more time on his side to improve his craft and can play a small forward role ok.He just needs to improve consistency much like the whole team.

Its a no for me we must keep him if we can.

I think Neeld has told him what he needs to do to get a gig and hes slowly getting it or has been injured or out of form obviously.

I also think another small forward in Greeny is done..but this is not a lets retire thread so I will shut up about Greeny as his service has been pretty good over the years.

C'mon Pet lift your Game mate!

Petterd is more creative as a midfielder than Dunn. He started on a wing HBF.

There's 2 roles in our team that I can see (in my view);

1. Solid HFF that is a competent midfielder

2. A defending/shut down/HFF-type that can kick goals

At the moment, we have Howe and Sylvia ticking the box of number 1, and Dunn ticking the box of number 2. Petterd isn't our best option for either role, hence he is playing at Casey. Same could be said about Green.

Some on here praise Ricky for his defensive pressure, but he has not shown anywhere near any form of consistency in this area.

The days of a HFF with bugger all tricks in their bag are gone, hence Howe's development in the midfield so far this season.

Guest José Mourinho

I agree, but that's in the past.

Now it all depends on the role they are being asked to play, of which we are largely nonethewiser (in Petterd's case at least).

pettard is trade bait

so is petterd?

Not significant trade bait at this point.

Amazing we can't find a spot for him.

Been a quiet year BBP??

IMO Dunn will be delisted at y/e. Petterd is going the same way at the moment.

If he cant keep Dunn out of the team then Ricky is in trouble to stay on the list.

Some on here praise Ricky for his defensive pressure, but he has not shown anywhere near any form of consistency in this area.

The days of a HFF with bugger all tricks in their bag are gone, hence Howe's development in the midfield so far this season.

I think defensive pressure has typically been one of Petterd's reasons for him being in and out of the side on form.

I wouldnt say Howe has bugger all tricks in his bag and I dont think you meant that. Howe definitely has the skills to make. Petterd does not have the skills for the midfield.

Even last year Petterd and Dunn played for the same spot, and that's true this year. I still rate Petterd more than I rate Dunn, but he's going to need to either do something spectacular at Casey or wait for Dunn to fail specularly for Melbourne or he's not going to get a shot. And frankly, if he can't push past Dunn for a spot in the team, I'd seriously question his worth as a player.

18 months ago, he nearly beat Collingwood practically of his own back.But, he missed a mark with seconds to go.Since then, he got injured and has not regained that form.He started as a winger, HBF,HFF,FF,therefore, now it up to him to settle in the one position and go for it.I think his best is a HFF role, but like others it is now he has to perform.If not he will be trade bait.

Ricky came into the WC game underdone as Tap has over the last couple and Silvia did last week, they've struggled. The bye at Casey in between the last 2 games hasn't helped him either. If he gets a clear injury free run for the rest of the season I think he will find a place in the side and we might get to see the best of him. His career has been too stop start to date, I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

• Like 1

Ricky came into the WC game underdone as Tap has over the last couple and Silvia did last week, they've struggled. The bye at Casey in between the last 2 games hasn't helped him either. If he gets a clear injury free run for the rest of the season I think he will find a place in the side and we might get to see the best of him. His career has been too stop start to date, I wouldn't be writing him off just yet.

It's not about writing him off, it's about the fact the players have either gone past him (ie Howe), or are holding their own (ie Dunn). I don't think the MFC will win a flag with Dunn in the team, it may with Ricky, but at the moment, as Nasher said, RP can't get a game ahead of Dunn so a few supporters have their concerns.

I think defensive pressure has typically been one of Petterd's reasons for him being in and out of the side on form.

I wouldnt say Howe has bugger all tricks in his bag and I dont think you meant that. Howe definitely has the skills to make. Petterd does not have the skills for the midfield.

If you actually read my posts, you will notice that I'm saying that Howe is more than a HFF, therefore idicating that he has more tricks in his bag than RP. And if you still are unsure of my opinion, just check my posts #3 and #17, and you will find it clear that I didn't mean Howe had bugger all tricks.