Jack Watts: Marked development

Binmans PA

Great pack mark in the first quarter. Great lead up mark and pinpoint short pass to an inside 50 target in the (last?).

Just moments, but when he is good, he is really, really good.

I say stick him in the midfield for a whole game. What is the worst that can happen?

Edited by Undeeterred

One of the few highlights of 2012.

Loving him and his actual kicking ability in the middle. Smart, composed and full of class.

He and Howe are a breath of fresh air on the wing.

Agreed as I also thought he looked pretty good and his ongoing improvement has been a rare highlight this year......

There were moments when he looked as good as we all hope he can be, showing a more physical game than we have seen in the past, albeit with a ways to go yet.

I do admit to love seeing him with ball in hand as he tends to use it better than most. And while we all know what we need (and want) up forward, but maybe playing on the wing is where he proves to be best, at least for the time being. Developing his skill and using it to hopefully deliver a good ball into Clark and whoever else is up there.

Although I would like to see him drift into the forward line at times as he so tall and could prove to be quite effective, but he is going to need show a willingness to be more physical. And we have now seen this start to improve and hopefully this will give him more confidence in his own ability to take the game on completely.

Thought he was good against the Tiges, and hopefully he will continue to move in that direction. See the glass isn't completely empty ;) !!!

Edited by QueenC

How so???

He played them at every occassion. Given our senior group there is no place for babying at all. This is one of our problems.

I question the wisdom of giving the kids that many free games for a start. Surely it's better to have to fight for a spot in the senior side rather than know that it will be given to you anyway?

Aside from that, Bailey often commented on the need to go slowly with the young players and build up to real workloads. Compare this to NicNat over at WC. They gave him heavy workloads in an effort to fast track him and allow him to compete with the rucks and key defenders he would be facing in matches. His physical development is miles ahead of Watts and he is fearless on the field.

I would love to see what Watts would have been at this stage if he had been forced to work harder both for his spot in the side and on his physical training. The bar was set far too low for him.

Great pack mark in the first quarter. Great lead up mark and pinpoint short pass to an inside 50 target in the (last?).

Just moments, but when he is good, he is really, really good.

I say stick him in the midfield for a whole game. What is the worst that can happen?

I thought there were a couple of times he pin-pointed passes, but his team mates let him down by dropping easy marks.

I question the wisdom of giving the kids that many free games for a start. Surely it's better to have to fight for a spot in the senior side rather than know that it will be given to you anyway?

Aside from that, Bailey often commented on the need to go slowly with the young players and build up to real workloads. Compare this to NicNat over at WC. They gave him heavy workloads in an effort to fast track him and allow him to compete with the rucks and key defenders he would be facing in matches. His physical development is miles ahead of Watts and he is fearless on the field.

I would love to see what Watts would have been at this stage if he had been forced to work harder both for his spot in the side and on his physical training. The bar was set far too low for him.

Not sure I agree with this entirely. When both boys were drafted, Watts was by far the slimmer frame. NicNat was already a hulk of a man. However, I wouldn't say the way Bailey handled Jack was the best way either.

How many touches did Watts' opponent have, because some Tigers put up massive numbers. Grigg with 37 for example, and Conca and Houli both kicking goals.

If we wanted a winger or flanker for our first draft pick we should have taken Yarran, Hill or Rich.

Sure Watts is making strides but if he can't get a kick at CHF it's about time he plays at CHB. Putting him on Liam Jones this week wouldn't be the worst place to start.

• Like 2

Where did Nick Riewoldt start his career? On a wing. No one is saying he'll necessarily be a wingman for life, but that is where you develop.

Meanwhile, Grigg was playing off half back, Watts played on the wing...

How many touches did Watts' opponent have, because some Tigers put up massive numbers. Grigg with 37 for example, and Conca and Houli both kicking goals.

If we wanted a winger or flanker for our first draft pick we should have taken Yarran, Hill or Rich.

Sure Watts is making strides but if he can't get a kick at CHF it's about time he plays at CHB. Putting him on Liam Jones this week wouldn't be the worst place to start.

I don't understand why people think we need Watts at CHF more than we need him in the midfield.

Have you seen our midfield?

Add Jurrah to the forward mix, and that's a potent forwardline. If only we had a midfield capable of getting the ball in there more than 29 times a game!

If Watts turns out to be a gun midfielder, in the mould of Pendelbury, he also comes from a basketball background, and can occassionally push forward and kick goals, that would be a brilliant outcome.

Just because he was pick 1, and had "CHF" written on his resume, doesn't mean he can't now adapt to fill a much needed hole in our side. I for one would be thrilled if he turned out to be a match winning midfielder.

• Like 1

I don't understand why people think we need Watts at CHF more than we need him in the midfield. Have you seen our midfield? Add Jurrah to the forward mix, and that's a potent forwardline. If only we had a midfield capable of getting the ball in there more than 29 times a game! If Watts turns out to be a gun midfielder, in the mould of Pendelbury, he also comes from a basketball background, and can occassionally push forward and kick goals, that would be a brilliant outcome. Just because he was pick 1, and had "CHF" written on his resume, doesn't mean he can't now adapt to fill a much needed hole in our side. I for one would be thrilled if he turned out to be a match winning midfielder.

Good point. I doubt if he will develop into a "power CHF" like J Brown, and they are a rarity these days, but a leading running Reiwoldt type yes.

Maybe Clark needs to become the power CHF if that is what is needed.

Edited by monoccular

I was frustrated to I note numerous occasions on the weekend that he was in space in the corridor and calling for the ball, only to be overlooked (probably unnoticed actually) for a ridiculous kick to a contest along the boundary line or a handball into trouble.

I accept that our game plan / ball movement is in the middle of a complete overhaul.

My point is, as we see this team develop (yes it is going to happen) JW is going to have us on our feet.

• Like 1

I agree. I feel really confident now with the ball in Watts's hands. I also think Leigh Brown is a good mentor - a man with absolute mongrel who tries to get the best out of himself. Watts's improvement is one of tyhe few pleasures of watching the Dees.

The biggest thing I noticed about Watts on the weekend was the amount of times he dished out a handball to a player who was 5 metres in the clear. Our other players continually handballed to blokes under pressure. I would imagine Watts' effective disposal rate was one of the highest for the team.

• Like 1

He has undoubted skill, but running around getting cheap possessions on a wing doesn't overly thrill me. I'd prefer to see him in the forward 50 impacting the scoreboard. I'd also be happy to see him play as a key defender and learn how good forwards play, rather than play as a loose man in defence. Right now though, his current role is probably giving him confidence. I hope it's not his role for the entire year and I doubt it will be.

I accept I'm on a different page to 90% of supporters, so there's no need to respond to this post.

• Like 1

I was frustrated to I note numerous occasions on the weekend that he was in space in the corridor and calling for the ball, only to be overlooked (probably unnoticed actually) for a ridiculous kick to a contest along the boundary line or a handball into trouble.

I accept that our game plan / ball movement is in the middle of a complete overhaul.

My point is, as we see this team develop (yes it is going to happen) JW is going to have us on our feet.

Well that's just not going to happen under the current plan - have a read of Mick Malthouse's assessment of the Collingwood game plan changes and think about Melbourne under Neeld in that context. I was disappointed to see Watts not even contest one particular marking opportunity along the boundary line. He needs to be a major marking presence there with the way we play.

Well that's just not going to happen under the current plan - have a read of Mick Malthouse's assessment of the Collingwood game plan changes and think about Melbourne under Neeld in that context. I was disappointed to see Watts not even contest one particular marking opportunity along the boundary line. He needs to be a major marking presence there with the way we play.

Neeld is trying to address various problems in stages - as I said earlier (EDIT - stated in another thread) he can't fix our horror list of issues simultaneously so it's baby steps. A defensive mindset was the biggest and first to be addressed. Ball movement is on the agenda as stated by Leigh Brown before the game.

I believe people who have pigeon holed Neeld as bringing "THE Collingwood gameplan" are drastically over simplifying and underestimating him - and at such an early stage.

I was on the members wing and saw Watts contesting marks - not sure of the one you are talking about specifically. I'll try and spot it on replay if I can bring myself to go there...

Edited by Tricky
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what game you were watching? I saw Watts contest and MARK several marking opportunities along the boundary line. He is number 4 by the way... :)