Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

AFL Employee leaked info about indigenous players

BarrassHarrass

For me the issue of where Mifsud got the information from isn't the problem. I would imagine in a football club there would be hundreds of stories (true or false) floating around, the problem is that an AFL employee was spreading them to the media and the media were publishing them.

of course that's the real issue but it doesn't suit the media to highlight that as they are the recipients of such AFL 'largesse'. Its very much an issue of conflict of (dirty) interest for the media so they chose to highlight any other issue to push the issue of leaking to the background. Imagine Caro with no-one to leak to her.

And talking of Caro, she seems to avoid mention of Mifsud leaking to her and to Smith, instead focussing only on the Thomas leak when in essence its the same issue with respect to Mifsud.

Anyway don't expect the media to be 'balanced' when their own interests are threatened

• Like 1

I suspect that it's a case of Demetriou, with the aid of some friends in the media (who are now painting Mifsud as a saint), deflecting from the issue of an employee of the AFL divulging sensative material to a member of the media. Mifsud should have been sacked on the spot for this, failing which Demetriou should have immediately accepted his resignation.

In any event, Mifsud's position is now that of a lame duck. He's untrustworthy in the context of receiving confidences from the people he's supposed to be serving.

On the matter of what Aaron Davey is alleged to have said, I think it's interesting that Mifsud is dodging Davey.

Meanwhile, Melbourne is still in the competition and the coaches and players have jobs to do so they quite properly are focusing on that and not the media hype.

Spot on WJ.

They are so intent on keeping the story boiling over at the Age that they have Caro trying to cover old ground and doing a muddled and messy job of it here - Facing up to Demon days.

On top of that they dredge up Emma Quayle from half way around the world in in Varese, Italy with some comments from Michael O'Loughlin who might know Mifsud well but can't really add to the subterfuge that's been surrounding him lately - Backing for Mifsud.

Poor old Vlad must be desperate. Thomas has played him on a break over both Rendell and Mifsud and nobody's biting the line.

Mifsud must go.

For me the issue of where Mifsud got the information from isn't the problem. I would imagine in a football club there would be hundreds of stories (true or false) floating around, the problem is that an AFL employee was spreading them to the media and the media were publishing them.

So let me get this straight. Mifsud and Demetriou accuse a senior player of spreading a malicious lie about our coach and of admitting he lied, and you don't care. Even though that player denies it and is being denied any chance to clear his name. That's not a problem?

Mifsud must go regardless of where he got the information, I don't dispute that. But it sounds to me like you don't believe Aaron. If that's the case you should just come out and say it rather than hiding behind weasel phrases like Thomas.

That private conversations or official conversations in Rendalls case have been leaked to the media is a big issue for me. The media chose not to print the BS about Neeld 3 to 4 weeks ago until Thomas took the bait last week, someone has been spreading this story about trying to get a bite and it points back to someone in the AFL. This was not a private conversation between Misssssfud and Thomas, it was between someone and Carro, Pat Smith .......and how many journos.

• Like 1

That private conversations or official conversations in Rendalls case have been leaked to the media is a big issue for me. The media chose not to print the BS about Neeld 3 to 4 weeks ago until Thomas took the bait last week, someone has been spreading this story about trying to get a bite and it points back to someone in the AFL. This was not a private conversation between Misssssfud and Thomas, it was between someone and Carro, Pat Smith .......and how many journos.

That should mean that Gazza would/should know of it. So, I believe the club is on top of it & has dealt with it weeks back.

Done, & Dusted... The light heartedness between Neeld & davey at Training suggests everything has been well talked thru & all has been understood, then moved on.

IMO we should let Aaron & Neeld move forward.

However IMO they're are lots of questions for brave Journo's to ask of Demetriou & of MisFudd. But will they, grant? Have you got the Cohuna's to take on your Ark Enemy?

• Like 2

"Melbourne and the league both now consider the matter closed - although it still remains unclear how Mifsud came to the conclusions he did."

"Davey was adamant he had no such conversation with Mifsud."

"Mifsud fell under further scrutiny after failing to meet with Davey at the height of the scandal last week."

While MFC have bigger fish to fry at the moment, its unbelievable that Mifsud is continuing in his role with the AFL. The matter is "closed" for all key parties now. But clearly there have been damaged victim and the person responsible on a number of counts has seen justice. Appalling

• Like 1

Looks like the matter is resolved.

But will the media see it that way ?

Probably not... and I really don't consider it completely resolved until the AFL apologise to Davey for his counselling which was nothing less than an inference of his "guilt".

Why didn't the apology include any reference to disclosing confidential conversations (true or untrue) to third parties

This apology is just not good enough

I don't see how anyone could trust Mifsud with confidential information, which places a big question mark over his effectiveness in his current position

• Like 1

"Melbourne and the league both now consider the matter closed - although it still remains unclear how Mifsud came to the conclusions he did."

"Davey was adamant he had no such conversation with Mifsud."

"Mifsud fell under further scrutiny after failing to meet with Davey at the height of the scandal last week."

While MFC have bigger fish to fry at the moment, its unbelievable that Mifsud is continuing in his role with the AFL. The matter is "closed" for all key parties now. But clearly there have been damaged victim and the person responsible on a number of counts has seen justice. Appalling

It is appalling. Even though it may seem in the club's best interest to let this quietly die now, I fear some journo will raise it again later. But I guess we don't dare push it.

If Davey (or player x) did say what Misud alleged, he should have checked it out and not blabbed it to Thomas. If it turned out that player x had lied to him, Mifsud had a 'story' but given his role in the AFL he shouldn't then publish it. Aaarrggh I'm sick of these ifs. Whatever actually happened, I cannot think of a circumstance where Mifsud should not be ashamed of his actions. And Thomas -unspeakable.

Looks like the matter is resolved.

But will the media see it that way ?

I think Daisy and others have focussed on the lack of breadth of the apology.

The other issue is if Neeld sees the matter closed. He was pursued about this on 3aw on Sunday.

On the other hand i cant see the media rocking the AFLs boat. Vlad might do an "Optus" on them and send them into darkness

Why didn't the apology include any reference to disclosing confidential conversations (true or untrue) to third parties This apology is just not good enough I don't see how anyone could trust Mifsud with confidential information, which places a big question mark over his effectiveness in his current position
Yep exactly right. Can anybody please tell me what he has apoligised for? I don't get it, are we all supposed to forget about it now and carry on? It's very strange. Edited by Harcourt

two possible lines for a journo to write

1. 'Melbourne and the league both now consider the matter closed - although it still remains unclear how Mifsud came to the conclusions he did."

2. Davey and the MFC both now consider the matter closed -although it still remains unclear what motives Mifsud, Thomas and the AFL had for defaming Davey and Neeld.

It seems I was right that the AFL is supercilious, narcissistic and untouchable, same goes for those that run it and are employed by it

One last question??

Can anyone tell me when the AFL last gave Melbourne a Fair go???

From the time of the proposed Merger Melb & Hawth it has always been against us.

I want accountability from the AFL as much as we want accountability from the MFC

I believe both go hand in hand .

Can anyone tell me when the AFL last gave Melbourne a Fair go???

We get the QBW each year.

We were never drawn across the coals for activities undertaken against Richmond in 2009 because the AFL *cough* does not believe tanking exists.

The matter is closed we are told even thou Mifsud is allowed to hide for 3 weeks, then apologize for causing pain. It is called lying. But because he is an AFL employee he is saved...groomed to be another Piglet no doubt...apalling.

Why didn't the apology include any reference to disclosing confidential conversations (true or untrue) to third parties

This apology is just not good enough

I don't see how anyone could trust Mifsud with confidential information, which places a big question mark over his effectiveness in his current position

Exactly - Mifsud still has to go. Regardless of whether someone "lied" or there was a "misunderstanding" he has breached a players privacy and confidence by running to the media with his gossip and not only failing to take it up with the correct channels but deliberately avoiding them by failing to return calls to the MFC or Davey for the last 3 weeks. Where is the "Community Engagement" there? In any other company a breach of privacy of this magnitude would result in instant dismissal.

• Like 1

Where's the apology from Demetriou? Why is Aarons apologetic call to Mifsud not mentioned?

Not good enough. Misfud must resign and Vlad must apologise. The Collingwoods, Hawthorns and Geelongs of the league wouldn't accept less and we'll never be one of them if we don't start standing up for ourselves.

• Like 1

I just heard the AFL's statement to the press over the radio

they have watered it down even further to just a misunderstanding and leaving a big question mark over davey (again)

that's not an apology and the club shouldn't accept it (probably part of some bigger deal?)

• Like 1

WTF, why is Aaron apologising to MIFSUD if he hasn't done anything wrong, if this is just AFL spin on this all to be a misunderstanding and/or incorrect interpretations fook that. If Aaron has made no such comment don't apologise and if you didn't do not allow the AFL to report it as such. Lines in the sand

• Like 1

I feel a little bit better as the joint statement said this: "Based on his discussion with Aaron Davey today, Jason now accepts that Aaron didn’t say the words that were published by Grant Thomas and Jason has apologised to Aaron for putting him in the situation where those words were published."

Basically, Mifsud is at fault. I am glad we forced the AFL into that admission.

And it's a joint statement so it shouldn't go into any ramifications for Mifsud but the last line of the article "The AFL now considers the matter to be closed" is wishful thinking if there are any decent journos still in Melbourne...