• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Neeld?

_H_

Just to be clear, you didn't watch the entire interview but still went ahead and chose a snippet from the very beginning as a basis to slam Neeld. Not being satisfied, you then miss the very fundamental point Neeld was making.

Quality thread.

Yeah, I didn't watch the entire interview. And yes, I went ahead and used the beginning snippet of the interview to start a thread on Neeld. I haven’t given reasonable thought to the fundamental point Neeld has made in his interview either. My opening comment doesn’t really have any substance, but I did want to start a thread on Neeld because I’m hoping to learn from fans what they understand about his game plan. I don't think that defensive football suits the players MFC have drafted. I think MFC in 2009 drafted for 'run'. What’s with Neeld's defensive structures? What is it doing to get the best football out of the players we are so privileged to have?.

• Like 1

Oh goodie, the new coach was "seriously pi$$ed". Well guess what - SO THE FCUK AM I. I could give a presser as good as what I heard today.

Welcome to the MFC Mark Neeld. If you are as good as you think you will be, you will get this team to defeat the Eagles next week. You should not have an attitude any different. 99.9% of us supporters think we will lose, if you think the same you are the wrong mane for the job. Sadly, I think you are already expecting us to lose.

No more excuses. Who gives a toss about "new game plans", etc. We're playing season 2012, I'm here for the now.

Get ready to be very [censored] off next weekend my friend, because, mark my words, we are gonna get a hiding over here in Perth. The press conference gave me an insight into what I think neeld is trying to do with our group. As far as I can tell he believes 100% that games are won or lost at stoppages and has identified that our clearance group is not up to scratch, hence the not being surprised at the outcome of today's game quote. His game plan of boundary hugging is probably designed to get as many stoppages as possible in the form of throw-ins and congestion leading to ball-ups in the tight confines of the boundary line so that our players get as much real-world practice in stoppage football as possible. He seem to have a clear vision of where he wants to take us which surprisingly gives me a ray of hope on this depressing day.

The disappointing thing as a supporter is the slow, ugly football that we are likely to serve up in this "learning phase" and the hidings we're likely to suffer as a result. My expectations of the season have been appropriately dialled right back and I see bottom 3 as an almost certainty this season.

edit: what I'm going to be most interested to see is if we're able to beat GCS and GWS this year using this new game plan. That will be a real barometer for the club.

Edited by leucopogon

Get ready to be very [censored] off next weekend my friend, because, mark my words, we are gonna get a hiding over here in Perth. The press conference gave me an insight into what I think neeld is trying to do with our group. As far as I can tell he believes 100% that games are won or lost at stoppages and has identified that our clearance group is not up to scratch, hence the not being surprised at the outcome of today's game quote. His game plan of boundary hugging is probably designed to get as many stoppages as possible in the form of throw-ins and congestion leading to ball-ups in the tight confines of the boundary line so that our players get as much real-world practice in stoppage football as possible. He seem to have a clear vision of where he wants to take us which surprisingly gives me a ray of hope on this depressing day.

The disappointing thing as a supporter is the slow, ugly football that we are likely to serve up in this "learning phase" and the hidings we're likely to suffer as a result. My expectations of the season have been appropriately dialled right back and I see bottom 3 as an almost certainty this season.

This highlights bad coaching on many levels (if you're accurate in your assumptions).

1. He should, regardless of what happened today, go in to next week expecting to win. Anything less is a cop out, and if I hear any excuse at the after match preser, I'll spew.

2. Regardless of his belief about winning games from stoppages, he has a list, and should coach to its strengths. List wise, we are not the greatest looking stoppage team, so why think otherwise? Innovative coaches create with what they have got, not sit back and wish for something they haven't. Mark Thompson believed in what he had, it was different to the normal, he nearly got sacked becasue of it, but then won 2 flags (which is bascially 3).

Said it before, and I'll say it again, there are No More Excuses. Even today, the fcuking commentators used Jimmy's passing as an excuse for a lack-lusture performance. Well, at quarter time I don't think it was playing on their minds. But people still use "something" as an excuse, be it new game plan, coach, whatever. People, please hit 2012 with the No More Excuses attitude. They even said such in the TV after the game.

• Like 2

Here is the press conference for anyone who has not seen it...I have no problem with Neeld thus far...i think the players should all be ready for a big shock this week...going by the look in the coaches eye.

He is still finding out about his players....practise match form against Hawthorn and Port actually was accurate.

No gameplan will work well if the players do not take on the job.

"the Midfield was pulverized...all day"...

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/tabid/8667/contentid/435426/default.aspx

This highlights bad coaching on many levels (if you're accurate in your assumptions).

Mark Thompson believed in what he had, it was different to the normal, he nearly got sacked becasue of it, but then won 2 flags (which is bascially 3).

He has now coached one AFL game.. just how many games had Thompson (and for that matter, Clarkson) coach before they started to taste success to any great degree... why was it they were both on the verge of being sacked? Don't you think it's a tad early to be sinking the boot into Neeld?

• Like 2

He has now coached one AFL game.. just how many games had Thompson (and for that matter, Clarkson) coach before they started to taste success to any great degree... why was it they were both on the verge of being sacked? Don't you think it's a tad early to be sinking the boot into Neeld?

Thompson built the team that won premierships. Neeld has inherited a team from Bailey, who thought was creating a premierhsip team.

In my brutally honest opinion, Neeld has landed exactly where Brett Ratten landed, and I expect the same, if not better, level of improvement within Melbourne as they did/do at Carlton.

For the fun of it - do you agree or disagree with the last sentence above?

In my brutally honest opinion, Neeld has landed exactly where Brett Ratten landed, and I expect the same, if not better, level of improvement within Melbourne as they did/do at Carlton.

I agree actually... so don't you think it's a tad early to be sinking the boot?

I agree actually... so don't you think it's a tad early to be sinking the boot?

I've seen him coach in 1 game, so perhaps I have gone in hard early. However, I have expressed concerns about Neeld previously in other threads from more than 12 hours ago...

I hope I'm wrong...

the problem is, if he drops all the weak, heartless spuds out there today, who will be lining up for next week's smashing? a bunch of casey battlers, thats who

good luck neeld

Thats the problem, it's all good getting tough and dropping a bunch of these duds, but in reality we are replacing rubbish with rubbish. There were numerous times last year when we made mass changes at selection and it made no difference. We seem to be on a hiding to nothing, at least in the short term, as long as we have this list full of selfish average footballers.

• Like 1

Thompson built the team that won premierships. Neeld has inherited a team from Bailey, who thought was creating a premierhsip team.

Carlton poached the best player on the planet which helped them enormously. I don't see improvement of the same level as Carlton by us unless we do something similar. Will never happen.

edit: perhaps if we snared Goddard, Steve Johnson and Sewel as free agents at the end of this season we might improve.

Edited by leucopogon

Hey Bonkers TheMythbusters showed that you can polish a turd.

Frawley, Garland, Martin, Jones, Trengrove and others aren't turds.

Was the long bombs into the forward line the game plan? I hope not.

Very clever!

If they aren't turds you tell me why they don't have enough intelligence to realize that just because your coach tells you to play the boundary as a safety option it doesn't mean every effing kick must go directly down that route! It doesn't take a [censored] rocket scientist to figure out that there are other avenues to goal. Boundary line football is taught to juniors from a very young age if out players don't get the principle now after years in the system I don't know what to say.

I like the tough approach taken by Neeld, I like the long kicking, however is he too adamant that players play exactly to the game plan?

For example, if there is a free player in the middle of the ground, players should be able to kick it to him. The corridor is and always will be the most efficient way to move the ball from one end to the other, so if the opportunity is there, why not take it? As we saw yesterday, Melbourne became so predictable, even if the the game plan was 100% perfect, the predictable nature of it means that opposition can quickly read what will happen next.

• Like 3

So how did Neeld get the best out of first gamer Magner and not Davey and Green? How is it they are put to shame by a first gamer? Individuals need to start taking responsibility a step up on their own. The coach should be more concerned with players who really need it than players who have been around forever and frankly shouldn't need anyone other than themselves to get the best out of them.

People are different, and therefore need different ways to get the best out of them.

Magner was playing his first game. He had just made the big time. Green is at the end of his career. He had some massive issues with the football department last year and was dropped not only as captain but from the whole leadership group.

In a perfect world then yes, Brad would be able to get through this and perform to his best. Neeld needs to have a decent chat to Brad and find out where the problems lie and work through them.

Davey has had some bad injuries over the past few years and simply isn't enjoying his football. Neeld needs to find a way to re spark his passion. Davey has another year left on his contract. If Neeld cannot utilize his services then its a cross against Neeld.

Who knows, maybe he has tried and the players simply don't get it. We don't know. But as a coach he needs to get the best out of his whole playing list.

I don't think i'm asking too much.

• Like 2

People are different, and therefore need different ways to get the best out of them.

Magner was playing his first game. He had just made the big time. Green is at the end of his career. He had some massive issues with the football department last year and was dropped not only as captain but from the whole leadership group.

In a perfect world then yes, Brad would be able to get through this and perform to his best. Neeld needs to have a decent chat to Brad and find out where the problems lie and work through them.

Davey has had some bad injuries over the past few years and simply isn't enjoying his football. Neeld needs to find a way to re spark his passion. Davey has another year left on his contract. If Neeld cannot utilize his services then its a cross against Neeld.

Who knows, maybe he has tried and the players simply don't get it. We don't know. But as a coach he needs to get the best out of his whole playing list.

I don't think i'm asking too much.

For the record I don't think it's too much to ask senior players to lift themselves. You are looking at outcomes and assuming Neeld hasn't done the things you say he should of such as talking to Davey and Green. Do you know he hasn't done this for a fact? Why are you letting these players off and blaming a first game coach?

Davey hasn't produced anything since he signed the big contract and got comfortable. Do you expect Selwoods and Pendlebury to need a first game coach to motivate them given their major contracts?

As for Green this is a former capt who was supposed to be motivating and leading everyone last year? Now apparently he either needs a chat from a coach to sort him out? How old is he again? Is he a professional or not? Does he love the club? He should have been running through brick walls yesterday and it doesn't take Neeld to sort that. You know it and I know it therefore safely assume brad and Aaron clearly know what was required by the club yesterday.

I am sick to death of this club blaming coaches and gameplans.

It is the players. As per Geelong, Brisbane of old, those players were honest with each other and played for each other as a team. Do you honestly think Chris Scott was responsible for the success first year. The players did that no question.

Blame the players not the coaches.

Edited by Footynut

Rather than BLAME "The Players" or "The Coaches" lets just hope that ALL take some responsibility for the effort and assess how to improve. Abilities and efforts must be assessed with game plans and strategies. Placement of abilities and utilisation of resources is a very fluid thing. There can be no rigidity of a failing plan and I for one hope that it is not another new beginning. I hope that we recognise the skills and abilities we have and use them appropriatley against the opposition. The game was disappointing from most aspects. How the players, club, supporters handle it will tell us more than the result of one game.

Are we serious? We are ONE GAME INTO THIS GUY'S TENURE.

Bailey got belted by 100 POINTS.

Neeld's method thrives on footage. Thrives on learning from the mistakes. Thrives on teaching these guys based on what they do as compared to what they could do. See the Pendlebury footage again.

The common denominator is the players, not Neeld.

• Like 2

I will maintain that Mark Neeld is the best thing to happen to our club in a very long time.

Come on now bloke, have made a big statement..back me up now.

Today I sat at the G and saw a grand total of zero moves being made in 2 hours. Not a good start.

That concerned me too. Any under 9 coach would have had someone on Black driving him mad and negating his effectiveness. He was alone for large chunks of the game as he destroyed us.

• Like 1

That concerned me too. Any under 9 coach would have had someone on Black driving him mad and negating his effectiveness. He was alone for large chunks of the game as he destroyed us.

Depends on what your KPIs are and what you are trying to achieve.

If you're purely trying to get the 4 points, you may have made a few desperate moves that could've made a bit of difference.

But at some stage you need to leave the players in their positions to learn to stick to the gameplan through adversity, and play the way Neeld wants them to play.

I'm not overly concerned about a loss at the start of the season that I was half expecting.

To NOT expect an adjustment period is what I see as unrealistic.

Neeld is in this for the longterm.

Re: the issue of commitment and players not showing enough effort, when you are second-guessing your first instincts, and unsure where to apply that effort, you get results like we saw yesterday.

Remember that the players are trying to unlearn a gameplan they have spent years learning to adhere to.

when was the last time a melbourne coach was so dirty rnd 1 well done to neeld about time melb got a hard arse coach.those captains know what there in for but watch this space this coach in the near future will have 22 players going 110 %or off to casey simple as that and thats how it should be and i cannot wait till viney is on board.what a joke that a 18 yr old will showing blokes of 150-200 + games how to have a go and play hard footy .i bet a few super brats wont like whats a head of them GO HARD NEELDY BREAK THE PEA HEARTS shape up or f... off simple.