7 Weeks

drdrake

We have 7 weeks until our first game for the 2012 season starts. We have all read training reports some attended training and once again our expectations are high, all of the posters on the site and any supporter of the MFC are bitterly dissappointed with 2011 a year that delivered one thing, a new coaching group. With 7 weeks to go the club has a lot of work ahead of them

On Field

Starts at Casey next Friday, then into the NAB cup. It would be nice to knock off Collingwood or Hawthorn plus beat Gold Coast and Brisbane. It will be good to show some form in the preseason. Looking back over last year alarm bells should of been ringing when Essendon smashed us followed by Brisbane beating us. Our Preseason form over the past 4 seasons have been a true indication of what was install for that year.

Off Season

The halls at the MCG should be buzzing, so much has to be acheived over the next 7 weeks. Starting with a sponser, followed by a big membership push we need 16500 members to hit 40,000, the goal over the next 7 weeks has to be to pass 2011 total which means we need to average a little over 2000 members per week. We have family day, A breakfast next week, the Mates of Melbourne Function, the season launch.

To me to 2012 pre-season our club has had the head down and bum approach we haven't seen the club in the media pumping up players in fact the opposite, we don't have to worry about GWS poaching a player, we haven't seen a big media push by the club only a few announcements the hype isn't being built up by the club like it has over the past. It seems to me the club wants the performance of the onfield group to start driving our club the administration has done all it can over the past 4 years.

Once again I'm excited about the start of the AFL season, the next 7 weeks are just as important as hopefully the 24weeks that follows.

• Like 1

I remember after the first nab cup game thinking we are in for a good season. we did a lot of things right but the following week just made me forget everything i thought the week before.

i don't mind losing to collingwood and hawthorn as its only the nab cup but just like the normal season i want it to be because the other team was just to good and not because of our silly mistakes that cost us the game.

I remember after the first nab cup game thinking we are in for a good season. we did a lot of things right but the following week just made me forget everything i thought the week before.

i don't mind losing to collingwood and hawthorn as its only nab cup

this attitude must cease. Yes it is only the Bank Cup, but the club & supporters have got to start expecting a hard contest & victories.

Start now..

• Like 1

Having a look over the last few years, form in the NAB Cup actually is quite indicative of how a team may perform in the season proper, especially the first half of the season. I, and a lot of others, have just passed off some woeful pre-season performances in previous years. This year, while I won't be hysterical if we play poorly and lose, I will be expecting a much more competitive effort throughout the whole pre-season, especially considering enthusiasm surrounding the new coach etc.

On Field

Starts at Casey next Friday, then into the NAB cup. It would be nice to knock off Collingwood or Hawthorn plus beat Gold Coast and Brisbane. It will be good to show some form in the preseason. Looking back over last year alarm bells should of been ringing when Essendon smashed us followed by Brisbane beating us. Our Preseason form over the past 4 seasons have been a true indication of what was install for that year.

I'm a firm believer that pre season form should not be underestimated. A good run in the pre-season is generally a very good indication of the form of a team for the first 6-8 games of the season proper.

If we play well and win the majority of the opening 6-8 games of the season you're a change to make finals for the rest of the year.

You lose the majority of these games, people are talking about draft picks by round 8.

I never underestimate the form of the pre-season, although the mickey mouse round robin comp makes it more difficult to judge.

The Club was certainly not painted any bright outcomes for 2011. They knew we had a young list and already had injuries mounting in the pre season

It was just the supporters who got ahead of themselves. The Club was still preaching a consistent mantra. Clearly you werent one of the people listening.

If you care to check some of the posts 12 months ago there was significant concern about how MFC would go this year.

Here is a straw poll of expectations from 2011 taken in March:

http://demonland.com...__1#entry406639

I dont think anyone was expecting MFC to shoot the lights in 2011.

A consistent mantra indeed.

I guess people saw a 180 + point thrashing coming, along with games of some of the worst football seen in 2011.

Many people were excited and were expecting to see us make the eight.

Having a look over the last few years, form in the NAB Cup actually is quite indicative of how a team may perform in the season proper, especially the first half of the season. I, and a lot of others, have just passed off some woeful pre-season performances in previous years. This year, while I won't be hysterical if we play poorly and lose, I will be expecting a much more competitive effort throughout the whole pre-season, especially considering enthusiasm surrounding the new coach etc.

Yep, agree on both counts

FWIW, WYL I enjoy your posts and banter with RR - it makes interesting reading. WYL, I love your passion....I agree, the pre-season cup is important to show some form and I will be forever cheering you on when you let Scully have it. I'm with you!!!

Thanks Jumbo....Glad you enjoy it!!! I don't, but will not pummelled into the ground...

$cully has nowhere to hide....he may not play the MFC this year....but he will....

Guest melbman

$cully has nowhere to hide....he may not play the MFC this year....but he will....

If he plays against the Dees he'll get the full range of my vocal chords

Nab cup or not, I want to see every player play the game at full intensity. When we have the ball and when we don't.

Some players will obviously lack in the skill department but I want to see Melbourne play desperate, accountable and passionate football.

Every player.

The NAB cup loses its significance very quickly if you lose. Unlike the season proper.

But I agree, would be great to see some of the new rookies given a chance to stir things up.

The NAB cup loses its significance very quickly if you lose. Unlike the season proper.

But I agree, would be great to see some of the new rookies given a chance to stir things up.

Yes, but what if you have rarely performed well in the NAB cup? Surely it would be a morale booster for everyone involved? Players and supporters?

Look at Essendon last year?

Why can't we do that this year?

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Yes, but what if you have rarely performed well in the NAB cup? Surely it would be a moral booster for everyone involved? Players and supporters?

Look at Essendon last year?

Why can't we do that this year?

Yes This club could do with some early momentum....it has been years since we had a good start to the year.

Yes, but what if you have rarely performed well in the NAB cup? Surely it would be a morale booster for everyone involved? Players and supporters? Look at Essendon last year? Why can't we do that this year?

It would be fantastic to see the changes at the Club result in some early wins. NAB Cup included.

A win against the Pies or Hawks would sound out a few more supporters who might be on the verge of Membership too.

All wins contribute to a good (winning) culture. GC, Bris, filth or Hawks. If we have good loses to the later two its still good for the club. It says we can compete. The coaches and players need faith we are moving forward with a new game, coaches and culture.

I love the NAB cup. Better than training reports. I love the reports too. But footy is better!!

I pray to the injury Gods- please give us a full list barring big MaX ( who has been saved from poaching by injury.) I'm praying on minimal injuries and a big year as a result .