Barry Prendergast gone

Friday

Recruit Fev!!!

Thought of that too!

And that would stop you from recruiting said player would it??

I am in Old Dee's corner with this one. Too many choirboys have been recruited to the MFC throughout the decades. When the chance arrives Bailey & BP baulk and take a toddler.

Trouble is both Bailey & BP have left the building and we are left with another 5 year plan. We need players ready now.

It has been 5 years since this rebuild started, & 48 years since Crompton's lucky goal

One of the worst examples of confusing hindsight with foresight.

For every player with a troubled that turns out to be a Darling there are a trainwreck of examples that turn out to be a Fevola, Angwin or a Thorp. Player character is an important part of a players make up as a footballer. If he overcomes those personal hurdles to perform then well done. Some do succeed but many dont. As a result players with problem attitudes are a risk and are marked down in the drafting process. And we are only onw year into a career and we can link it to why we have been crud for 48 years. Wonderful.

Nice slap at Bailey too. For a person who defended and overcooked his MFC performance and would welcome him back at MFC in the future you butter both sides of the bread implying that he did not have the guts to make a list decision (that incidently was not his to make, its Prendegast). And one thing in Bailey's favour he was not scared to cut the deadwood and to support the selection of youth.

The issue with MFC is not the alleged "choirboys". We have recruited our share of ruff nuts, brawlers and tuff guys. We have also recruited a few problem cases. We just have not recruited talented footballers

• Like 1

Jeremy Howe was a great pick and so might Lucas Cook, but i was amazed we did not pick up Jack Darling when he fell our way. We already have enough 5 year Projects as i saw it. But thats how BP called it.

Why would you say that ? Having already stated previously (probably as FACT), that Cook is going to be a gun ~!

Why would you say that ? Having already stated previously (probably as FACT), that Cook is going to be a gun ~!

No i said "Cook better be bloody good", & i do hope he is a gun before i die...but we need players now, we have already banked a lot of kiddies. because we overlooked a good one here.

And why do people here not consider Darling a long term prospect just because he is ready and going?

Nice ramble Rhino, i knew you would stick your snout in and say little. I am not having a go at anyone...they just better be right, and neither have to deal with the consequences do they?

And yes i would happily have Bails back as an assistant once a few years have passed.

And that would stop you from recruiting said player would it??

I am in Old Dee's corner with this one. Too many choirboys have been recruited to the MFC throughout the decades. When the chance arrives Bailey & BP baulk and take a toddler.

Trouble is both Bailey & BP have left the building and we are left with another 5 year plan. We need players ready now.

It has been 5 years since this rebuild started, & 48 years since Crompton's lucky goal

Oh really ...

http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25192-jack-darling/page__view__findpost__p__412514

• Like 2

I am not having a go at anyone...they just better be right, and neither have to deal with the consequences do they?

Bailey got sacked and has his reputation trashed. FMD.

I am glad you are wanting to hold them accountable for their actions or inactions.....unlike for some

From the courtesy of Old...

It's a little early to sink the slipper into Howe or Cook when neither have played a senior game yet peeps.

Regardless of how good Captain Darling is. Our kiddies could be better.

Magarine or butter on both sides? LOL

Bailey got sacked and has his reputation trashed. FMD.

I am glad you are wanting to hold them accountable for their actions or inactions.....unlike for some

From the courtesy of Old...

Magarine or butter on both sides? LOL

RR I may have missed something but surely after July 30 there was no reputation left.

To all saying how good Darling is after his great first season, consider Rhys PALMER talked up as a jet in his first season who was overlooked by a few clubs and I am sure he aint Robinson Crusoe there.

Time will tell but with me the Darling v Cook arguement doesn't fit it is more of a Darling v Howe arguement and I am pretty happy. I know a bit about Darling and his background so don't for one minute think he is on the straight and narrow for his whole career, Fev stayed out of trouble for a while to if you remember

No i said "Cook better be bloody good", & i do hope he is a gun before i die..

Oh really ? No you didn't ! This is from the thread Memo: Prendergast (originator: RangeRover) from last year...: -

Cook is going to be a gun. That's why we need the best coaches now. Not in 2 years

At least RangeRover stuck to his guns !

Come in spinner....

No i said "Cook better be bloody good", & i do hope he is a gun before i die...but we need players now, we have already banked a lot of kiddies. because we overlooked a good one here.

And why do people here not consider Darling a long term prospect just because he is ready and going?

Nice ramble Rhino, i knew you would stick your snout in and say little. I am not having a go at anyone...they just better be right, and neither have to deal with the consequences do they?

And yes i would happily have Bails back as an assistant once a few years have passed.

Darling will be a very good player for a number of years,

I think the point is that just because he is better now doesnt mean we got our pick 11 (Lucas Cook) wrong last year.

Cook like alot of our players, who are young and recruited with a long term outlook, have the skills to be better, and i used the word potential but thats generally what KPP with one years experience are.

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Guest Thomo

And those who trot out the above refuse to acknowledge that is it not an exact science so all recruiters can do is pick the player that all data points to him being the best pick and Cook was the All Australian CHF so all data pointed to him being the better pick ( not because Darling wasnt a choir boy).

Whilst recruiters may punt on later picks there is a fair reliance on data such as all Australian selections and draft camp testing.

So I guess what you are saying is recruiters are paid to ignore what is in front of them and "punt" on selections

I think that I read that Cook was the slowest player tested at Draft Camp, causing many AFL clubs to change their rating of him, many thinking that they would not draft him at all. That's was why it was a surprise that Melbourne took him so high.

Not making a judgement here, just think it is an interesting fact.

Reid and Dawes played a grand total of 18 games between them in their 1st 3 years on Collingwood's list - in the 4th year both were key parts of the Pies premiership team. Other players from that 2006 draft like N.Brown, Frawley, J.Riewoldt and Tippett came on quicker but I don't think the Pies are disappointed with their picks.

Given his speed, his size and his lack of strength, you would have to think that he will take longer than most key forwards to come through.

If he doesn't have great pace then he will need to be much better than most at winning contested footy, since he will usually be competing directly with an opponent. But he does have some excellent attributes that should help him in this role. He is a very good contested mark, is tall for a KPP and doesn't waste the footy when he gets it.

I see him playing the same sort of role as Dawes or Koschitzke, where he is a long kick marking forward. However Cook also has a massive tank, which may make him more versatlie, and also uses the ball much better than either of those players.

But he definitely needs body size so that he can start to take contested marks against AFL sized players. That will take time. Maybe 3 or 4 years. Until then we will have to sit and wait.

Given his speed, his size and his lack of strength, you would have to think that he will take longer than most key forwards to come through.

If he doesn't have great pace then he will need to be much better than most at winning contested footy, since he will usually be competing directly with an opponent. But he does have some excellent attributes that should help him in this role. He is a very good contested mark, is tall for a KPP and doesn't waste the footy when he gets it.

I see him playing the same sort of role as Dawes or Koschitzke, where he is a long kick marking forward. However Cook also has a massive tank, which may make him more versatlie, and also uses the ball much better than either of those players.

But he definitely needs body size so that he can start to take contested marks against AFL sized players. That will take time. Maybe 3 or 4 years. Until then we will have to sit and wait.

AOB "4 years " I hope I live long enough!

IMO the Recruiter is the eaiest target in AFL football. So many factors go into whether a pick was good or bad. Players can get injured, poorly developed, poorly coached, poorly trained, overlooked for selection, have personal problems etc, etc , etc all of which plus more that can affect their performance and for this the recruiter is blamed if the player doesn't end up a star.

• Like 1

I see both sides of the argument having some merit, but we can't undo, what we can't undo. My theory is that we now have a football department that has some balls and the kids we fear are undersized and to this point in time, only survive on the list through that terrible word "potential" will be fast tracked by Neeld and his team. If they don't measure up then they're gone - no messing around. There will be no repeats of the "Newton" patience syndrome, under this regime.

I also think that others; e.g. Bate, Petterd and Dunn may give us just a bit more in 2012 than we have seen before. I think we will also see more out of Bennell and Jetta. Nicho is tearing up the track, from all reports Stef Martin is continuing to improve, Trenners will only get better, Tappy will come back better than ever, Jack Grimes will break out this year, barring injury of course. The list now has many upsides. The mix is very good and I am not saying we will be world beaters, but I get the feeling going to the footy in 2012 will be a much better experience than in recent years.

Have a little faith Demonlanders

By the way WYL, don't worry about the snipes from the side, you are passionate about what you see and believe and that's good enough for me, even if I don't always agree with you.

And those who trot out the above refuse to acknowledge that is it not an exact science so all recruiters can do is pick the player that all data points to him being the best pick and Cook was the All Australian CHF so all data pointed to him being the better pick ( not because Darling wasnt a choir boy).

Whilst recruiters may punt on later picks there is a fair reliance on data such as all Australian selections and draft camp testing.

So I guess what you are saying is recruiters are paid to ignore what is in front of them and "punt" on selections

The argument goes this way and that way in an endless [censored]-for-tat but at the end of the day Prendergast has been moved on. That should tell you something.

Edited by Range Rover

Oh really ? No you didn't ! This is from the thread Memo: Prendergast (originator: RangeRover) from last year...: -

At least RangeRover stuck to his guns !

Come in spinner....

Your point HT?

I have not said Cook will not be good (great) player, i hope he will be. But i do question having yet another long term prospect compared to a player who has proven he is ready to go now. Darling has years ahead of

him as well. That is my only point of contention.

I guess what I'm saying is a head recruiter is paid to get some genuine stars on the list (outside the gimme no.1-3 picks) and BP wasn't able to do that.

Proof of the pudding is that he's no longer at the club.

When was it confirmed he was sacked?

Your point HT?

I have not said Cook will not be good (great) player, i hope he will be. But i do question having yet another long term prospect compared to a player who has proven he is ready to go now. Darling has years ahead of

him as well. That is my only point of contention.

I think alot of people are looking pas the "now"

Recruit Fev!!!

Capital idea and a magnificent example of lateral thinking.

Fevola not longer has the attributes that made him a Coleman Medallist but he still has the size, strength and athleticism to take on the opposition's best defender to free up Mitch Clark to play on the stiffs and kick big bags of goals.

The idea is that we let our most damaging attacker play where he can be most damaging. Clark can beat any defender but a lot of those players, especially as the game changes to more long bombs forward, can be stopped by big, yet slightly less talented players. Why waste Clark on a job that Fevola can do?

We need the Fev to help us play as a team, where individual players play specific roles within the team attack.

Let's do it!