Barry Prendergast gone

Friday

Just back after being suspended by R.R.- was told just after Xmas - B.P. Has been approached by Mark Evans ex MFC now Director of football at Hawthorn.

Looks straight forward to me, wanted to get back into a coaching role and none available under Neeld.

Wouldn't surprise if he asked for such a role and was disappointed not to get one.

I wish him well.

Rudeboy, is that true? He was playing with Collingwood seconds and the pies put all the time and effort to getting him down through Rupert Butheras, but from memory he did not register for the draft that year. Subsequently he was given special permission to go in the pre-season draft where he was surely looking the most exciting prospect. He basically fell in our laps. Correct me if I am wrong.

I hate the pies, but surely they should have had him.

I guess I could suggest you read my book, 'The Liam Jurrah Story', but in summary you are both right and wrong. The fact is Collingwood had already lost interest in Liam, which is why he was not even registered for the draft. Flash saw him play in Darwin and suggested that Barry Prendergast check him out. He did and the rest is history.

I rated him... but when it comes to taking on new head coaches, it's in for a penny, in for a pound. We can't put Needleman in control and then tell him what to do and who to work with. As Malthouse said, it takes five years to assemble the coaching panel you need around you. So it's good to see him starting early.

I don't think Neeld would have been particularly impressed with our selection of Cook at number 12, given our clear need for an aggressive, big bodied forward on our list. The reports I've read suggest that he's still a long way off playing in the seniors. If true, that's not good. Not remotely.

That the recruiting team (or at least some in it) preferred Zaharakis over Strauss is interesting - I'd always found Strauss to be a curious selection so high in that draft.

I wonder if Neeld/the club have already identified someone they'd prefer in the BP's (former) role. After all, the club's been a step ahead of the curve in recent times.

Pretty sure they were happy to take best available, regardless of when Cook will play, our premiership window is not last year this year or poissibly next year, it is after that, in 2 years time Cook could walk right in and make the difference. We picked the U18 CHF.

Waiting cost Bailey his job, i think Neeld will be less patient with his troops is the major difference, also Cook not putting alot of pressure on Watts ect atm

Lots of teams have 3 genuine talls, (the better teams infact) Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast to be specific

Pretty sure they were happy to take best available, regardless of when Cook will play, our premiership window is not last year this year or poissibly next year, it is after that, in 2 years time Cook could walk right in and make the difference. We picked the U18 CHF.

Waiting cost Bailey his job, i think Neeld will be less patient with his troops is the major difference, also Cook not putting alot of pressure on Watts ect atm

Lots of teams have 3 genuine talls, (the better teams infact) Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, West Coast to be specific

Fairly confident that DB was not up to the job but there is no doubt in my mind that he put the majority of his selections in the kids catergory.

The results is as you say waiting cost him his job.

unfortunately a few of his selections will not make it, but that is the case with 50% of all selections anyway.

Cook is an interesting selection, I have serious doubts having seen him a few times last year.

But he truely is a very skinny kid, my biggest fear is that we have another Morton.

i.e. someone who will never be a big powerful body.

whatever way it goes we have another 2 years to wait IMO before much will be known about Cook.

You have to wonder how long DB thought the MFC would wait.

How many seasons like 2011 did he think he could survive.

Neeld knows he has 3 years to move the MFC into the finals and I suggest the top 4.

Failure in IMO will be more the result of our selections over the DB period than Neeld's actual coaching ability.

Interesting 3 years ahead.

Fairly confident that DB was not up to the job but there is no doubt in my mind that he put the majority of his selections in the kids catergory.

The results is as you say waiting cost him his job.

unfortunately a few of his selections will not make it, but that is the case with 50% of all selections anyway.

Cook is an interesting selection, I have serious doubts having seen him a few times last year.

But he truely is a very skinny kid, my biggest fear is that we have another Morton.

whatever way it goes we have another 2 years to wait IMO before much will be known about Cook.

You have to wonder how long DB thought the MFC would wait.

How many seasons like 2011 did he think he could survive.

Neeld knows he has 3 years to move the MFC into the finals and I suggest the top 4.

Failure in IMO will be more the result of our selections over the DB period than Neeld's actual coaching ability.

Interesting 3 years ahead.

The game I saw him play live last year, made me feel the complete opposite about the kid, he is only 19, Watts didn't put on the weight till at least 20 really, got big(ger) last year.

You're right, i don't think Cook will ever be the hulking FF type, which might be the nail in his coffin. Under Bailey i think we could have had Watts and Cook being both CHF types for some reason, Neeld doesn't strike me to be looking for this. Cook though has all the skills around the arc to damage teams, great hands and skills with his feet, can kick straight too. So we will see.

Dont think he lacks talent personally, just may not fit with the plan.

I guess I could suggest you read my book, 'The Liam Jurrah Story', but in summary you are both right and wrong. The fact is Collingwood had already lost interest in Liam, which is why he was not even registered for the draft. Flash saw him play in Darwin and suggested that Barry Prendergast check him out. He did and the rest is history.

Thanks Rudeboy, that's interesting and clarifies things for me. Interesting though was he didn't enter the draft so someone else could take him? Do you think if he was in the draft we would have still ended up with Liam?

I can see the speculation in the pick and Wonaemaerri would have proven opposition recruiters right in not choosing him, but geez Jurrah is a huge talent.

Saying you have doubts he'll ever get bigger after one year seems a bit impatient, give it time, usually takes KPF's like 3 or 4 years atleast. Watts didn't look any bigger at 19.

I have a lot confidence in Cook, he might not be setting the world on fire as he is growing into his body (and had injuries) but he's definitely one for the future. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if he makes a John Butcher like debut in the next couple of years.

Isn't that what you'd expect of most 18 year old tall KPPs?

Obviously Darling was available, but he's a mid-sized forward like Howe, Petterd or Jurrah.

I've not ever seen him play. I'm simply relying on the feedback I read about him, essentially on this site - so I've got no clue really.

We just seemed to go through a period when we recruited a lot of skinny, nice young (apparently talented) kids. Cook seems to fit firmly in that category, yet we recruited him (ultimately) to take on the KPP mongrels at other clubs. That said, I understand he was All Australian CHF - so he must be pretty handy. Just a pity about Darling IMO - we probably needed him more than any other club at the time.

Some of the other clubs during this period seemed to recruit kids that you could see as men, and they've got a bit of mongrel about them. From a distance, I think Neeld likes those types and feels we don't have enough of them.

Could very well be wrong though, but the approach to the recent draft period suggests otherwise.

Edited by Ron Burgundy

I've not ever seen him play. I'm simply relying on the feedback I read about him, essentially this site - so I've got no clue really.

We just seemed to go through a period when we recruited a lot of skinny, nice young (apparently talented) kids. Cook seems to fit firmly in that category, yet we recruited him to (ultimately) take on the KPP mongrels at other clubs. That said, I understand he was All Australian CHF - so he must be pretty handy. Just a pity about Darling IMO - we probably needed him more than any other club at the time.

Some of the other clubs during this period seemed to recruit kids that you could see as men, and they've got a bit of mongrel about them. From a distance, I think Neeld likes those types and feels we don't have enough of them.

Could very well be wrong though, but the approach to the recent draft period suggests otherwise.

Darling wouldn't be competing with Clark, Watts, McDonald, Martin and Cook for a tall forward spot.

He'd be competing with Green, Jurrah, Howe, Petterd.

We don't need him.

Darling wouldn't be competing with Clark, Watts, McDonald, Martin and Cook for a tall forward spot.

He'd be competing with Green, Jurrah, Howe, Petterd.

We don't need him.

I don't agree with this at all. Darling may be a couple of cm's shy of Watts and Cook's height but he's more than just another mid-sized forward. He's a pack buster with more aggression than Green , Jurrah, Howe and Petterd put together.

I'm one of quite a few on here who feel we erred in not taking him at 12 and I suspect, given the new direction we're taking, that if M. Neeld were given the choice between Cook and Darling at the time he wouldn't have hesitated on naming the latter.

• Like 3

What of the contribution of ex-Pie Rupert Betheras, Rudeboy? I've heard his name mentioned in despatches but he doesn't figure as much in your account?

Edited by Range Rover

Guest melbman

Just back after being suspended by R.R.- was told just after Xmas - B.P. Has been approached by Mark Evans ex MFC now Director of football at Hawthorn.

In the comments section of the online B.P off to Carlton article it was exclaimed by someone that it was Hawthorn! Their emphasis not mine :-) Interesting to see a repeat of the Hawthorn link

I don't agree with this at all. Darling may be a couple of cm's shy of Watts and Cook's height but he's more than just another mid-sized forward. He's a pack buster with more aggression than Green , Jurrah, Howe and Petterd put together.

I'm one of quite a few on here who feel we erred in not taking him at 12 and I suspect, given the new direction we're taking, that if M. Neeld were given the choice between Cook and Darling at the time he wouldn't have hesitated on naming the latter.

Every club passed over Darling in the first round of that draft and every time I see him play it really p... me off that we went with the pack and Emma Quale and missed him (I'm sure there are a bunch of supporters at other clubs that feel the same way), it seemed the conventional wisdom at the time was "he is trouble". We didn't do to bad picking up Howey and lets see how Tommy Mc comes through.

As for Cook, well time will tell.

Edited by rjay

What of the contribution of ex-Pie Rupert Betheras, Rudeboy? I've heard his name mentioned in despatches but he doesn't figure as much in your account?

His account isn't a three line post on Demonland, it's an effing book!

"Hey Hemingway, I notice in the blurb on the back of The Sun Also Rises you didn't mention the war, so that wasn't part of life back in the 20s?"

Did they have blurbs back then?

I am going to say yes...

Disagree. Darling is just a mid-sized forward. He just happens to have a bit of mongrel in him. He is a good player but in time would just be adding to our dearth of medium forwards. Cook was the right option as a true key forward and I doubt if we had taken Darling we would have taken Howe. I expect Cook will develop fine however if we had not taken Cook I think another running mid such as either of the Smiths, Atley, Jacobs or Smedts who all went around that mark may not have gone astray.

His account isn't a three line post on Demonland, it's an effing book!

"Hey Hemingway, I notice in the blurb on the back of The Sun Also Rises you didn't mention the war, so that wasn't part of life back in the 20s?"

Did they have blurbs back then?

I am going to say yes...

Rudeboy has every right to suggest I read his book but he has posted enough on the subject on Demonland to warrant the odd question from posters. Far more than the three lines you credit him with.

The comparison with Hemingway is just silly. It's like comparing ... well it's like comparing you to me.

Guest Jackie

I don't really care. He's just another paper shuffling apparatchik. If he does not fit into the NWO so be it. More of the new and less of the old is what we need.

Edited by Jackie

JACK DARLING

Height: 191cm

Weight: 87kg

Games: 23

Goals: 24

JEREMY HOWE

Height: 190cm

Weight: 83kg

Games: 13

Goals: 18

So we got the U18 All Australian CHF AND a 'Jack Darling type' (only better)...

Yet you're still complaining?

Rudeboy has every right to suggest I read his book but he has posted enough on the subject on Demonland to warrant the odd question from posters. Far more than the three lines you credit him with.

The comparison with Hemingway is just silly. It's like comparing ... well it's like comparing you to me.

That's very flattering, RR.

I appreciate it.

• Like 1

JACK DARLING

Height: 191cm

Weight: 87kg

Games: 23

Goals: 24

JEREMY HOWE

Height: 190cm

Weight: 83kg

Games: 13

Goals: 18

So we got the U18 All Australian CHF AND a 'Jack Darling type' (only better)...

Yet you're still complaining?

Got no gripe with the Howe selection DeezNutz. My thoughts were specifically about pick 12 which I'm sure you'll agree is a very valuable pick, the type which can make or break a recruiter.