Our compo picks are like gold

BIG JIM

I'm open to trading for an established star with the compo picks. But I'm also open to the Mini Draft trade - we would just want to be sure of the quality and I'd back in those in charge to make the prudent decisions necessary.

At the moment I don't think we have the making of a top 4 midfield. But the decisions to be made within the next 10-11 months, I believe will determine whether or not we achieve a top 4 midfield.

edit: Mind you we have up to 5 years to use the compo picks. I just think they'll come into play next year one way or another.

Dont expect him to make an impact until he is around 21yo tbh OD Next year i will be happy if he enforces himself upon VFL games The year after pushing AFL as we push up the ladder He is only 19 so i dont expect a 19yo KPP to walk in, even Watts was so so until what 20 and he got gifted games early. Edit - and i watched him at VFL level which impressed me, how much he plays like Watts is surprising really, just doesnt venture so far down the ground like Watts can do, plays around the 50, really good disposal.

I think Tom McDonald will also play a role in providing tall depth up forward, and he should be ready to play in 2012.

I think Tom McDonald will also play a role in providing tall depth up forward, and he should be ready to play in 2012.

There is a lot better chance of that working than with Cook in 2012

Using the compo picks depends on when Neeld sees us being a contender and what kind of hole in our list he believes we have. We could use them to draft mid-fielders if he reckons we are a shot in 2-3 years when these kids will be starting to perform consistently. However if the gap is a tall, you'd be looking 3+ years before most would fill out and be able to play at the elite level.

My guess is he'll target Viney and then 22-24 yr old midfielders for specific roles... given his desire to have solid bodies contesting the ball and his recruits this past month. We'd be an attractive club to come to if 2012 goes well.

Edited by PaulRB

I would have thought getting nexts year O'Meara would be top priority for us. hopefully we can jag one of GWS mini-draft picks and build with an elite player to join Trengove, Viney etc.

We will need it as Gold Coast are building a top quality midfield (Ablett, Swallow, to go with their half dozen top quality key position players and the best young ruckman in the land.

If a 17 year old Patton type is comes through ,then we could also go for that.

No use getting two 'good' players. I say we desperately will need to develop an elite midfielder or two., and so throw them both into the mini draft and get an elite youngster.

If we are smart with the compo picks, we could easily target a midfielder from Collingwood, Hawthorn, etc. The way I see it is that, let's use Pendlebury for example, Collingwood will only get 2 x first round picks for him as compensation, exactly like what we have up our sleeve. BUT, one of ours is more valuable than one that Collingwood would get (assuming they finish higher than us over the next couple of years), as our first compo pick comes straight after our first round pick (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, I'd be agressively in the ears of player managers whose stocks are being targeted by GWS, and just remind them that their client doesn't need to travel interstate, and that we can offer good $$$ as well as give the existing club sufficient compensation.

If we can trade them both for a player that is in that 21-23 age group, that is on the cusp of elite (such a dirty word!) status, then I say go for it!

I think Beams could develop into another Scotty Thompson. He's still very young.

Nup , pick a different player.

Thompson had serious mongrel from the moment he walked onto the field .

Haven't seen the same aggression from Beams .

Lacks his size aswell .

Nup , pick a different player.

Thompson had serious mongrel from the moment he walked onto the field .

Haven't seen the same aggression from Beams .

Lacks his size aswell .

I didn't suggest we should go for him, I just questioned the description of him as a "scrubber" player, that's all

I'm open to trading for an established star with the compo picks. But I'm also open to the Mini Draft trade - we would just want to be sure of the quality and I'd back in those in charge to make the prudent decisions necessary.

At the moment I don't think we have the making of a top 4 midfield. But the decisions to be made within the next 10-11 months, I believe will determine whether or not we achieve a top 4 midfield.

edit: Mind you we have up to 5 years to use the compo picks. I just think they'll come into play next year one way or another.

I agree with the mini draft thoughts HT,

People are generally concerned because the kids are so young, but if we get it right, which you have to do wit hthem either way then this kid will make an impact more so than Trengove has potentially as he will be hopefully moving into a better midfield with Moloney, Viney, Tengove, Gysberts, Jones and Sylvia hopefully hit their primes.

Edit, in 2 years time that doesnt sound to bad.....imagine that with a Pendlebury in it though!!! and maybe a Nicholson and then Bail and Mckenzie

Edited by Jordie_tackles

I thoug this years mini draft was a one off as the age limit changed?

GWS have 4 picks to trade over 2 years for the mini draft. Having traded 2 this year leaves them with 2 to trade next year with a new group of 17 year olds.

We have to let the AFL know by the week before the start of the season if we are going to activate a comp pick. I am guessing we will activate one for next year's draft and keep the other one, either to use ourselves in the future or trade it the draft for an established player. I guess the choice with these picks will be do they continue to bring in young kids or is the list at a point now where it needs to get some players with a few years experience in the system which would be a closer match to losing the few years development that went into Scully.

I hear Dangerfield has told the Crows he wants to go home to Vic next year. I don't know that much about him, from memory started strongly and suffered a bit with injuries this year. What do people think about him. Who else is out there that hasn't been mentioned.

Edited by It's Time

We have to let the AFL know by the week before the start of the season if we are going to activate a comp pick. I am guessing we will activate one for next year's draft and keep the other one, either to use ourselves in the future or trade it the draft for an established player. I guess the choice with these picks will be do they continue to bring in young kids or is the list at a point now where it needs to get some players with a few years experience in the system which would be a closer match to losing the few years development that went into Scully.

I hear Dangerfield has told the Crows he wants to go home to Vic next year. I don't know that much about him, from memory started strongly and suffered a bit with injuries this year. What do people think about him. Who else is out there that hasn't been mentioned.

He has a soft head, seriously history of concussion,

Trengove agrees

I didn't suggest we should go for him, I just questioned the description of him as a "scrubber" player, that's all

My TD didn't assert that you suggested we should go for him, he just disagreed with this assertion:

I think Beams could develop into another Scotty Thompson. He's still very young.

For the record, I do [edit: disagree with the assertion] too.

Edited by Rogue

I think everyone is forgetting free agency. If we get pendelbery or Goddard then afl pays compensation. These picks can be used for

1 mini draft

2 draft

3 players with 2 to 8 years experience. Ie. a gws draft pick wanting to come home

I like 1 or 3 as to where these picks should be targeted. Also best to use them now as free agency is going to generate lots of draft distortion.

It's a massive question.

It is a massive issue...

I don't like wasting time - my first instinct would be to activate both and try and trade for something special.

If that trade falls through - take the kid.

Keeping the equivalent of Pick 11 or Pick 15 can be self-defeating if you never get that suitable trade.

I don't really care about filling holes in the future - Clark fills the massive structural hole (or at least we hope he does) we had - now we need star players.

Pick 11 or Pick 15 will not get you that. Both picks might. So either bet that you will get that star player and hold off on the picks or activate the picks for next year and try in October and then take the kids upon failure to get the trade.

The thing that plays into this is that FA will allow us access to 28 year olds and partial access to 26 year olds to find that star player.

So activate both or neither but if you do neither - you better hope you get that star player in a trade week in the not-too-distant future...

patricia dangerfield? thought we were trying to get rid of the "soft" image...gets trengove rubbed out for 3 weeks and then kicks 6goals the next week. no thank you not what i want at the dee's