WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JOSH TYNAN

Demonland

highlight Vid

http://www.afl.com.a...x?newsId=123415

Chris25 phantom

#90 GWS - Josh Tynan (184cm defender - Gippsland)

Really strong and composed player, Tynan made the half back line his home during the Championships. Tynan could become a solid small defender, and his contested ball work is up there with the best in the draft. But he is also a strong mark, and won’t back down from a contest. Whether he develops into anything more than a solid defender is the question. AFL Comparison: Jacob Surjan.

Bigfooty official phantom

JOSH TYNAN - GIPPSLAND POWER - 186cm 76kg.

So many good players still available and we are saying it is a soft draft. I guess there will be gems from here on.

Nearly went for Nick Haynes as i consider Nick to be the best player still available. Nick haynes will go first round in the real deal. Also considered Nicks team mate Brett Ohanlon who has been linked to the Swans in many Phantom drafts. We all believe Sydney are interested in Brett. Hope they are both available for the Swans next pick

With the Swans trading in Walsh and Morton as potential forward options during trade week i decided to make this selection on a needs basis for Sydney. With the retirement of Kennelly this year and the likelyhood that Rhyce Shaw probably will go only one more year, i think the Swans need to recruit a running half back and Josh Tynan fits the bill.

I have had my eye on Josh from around pick 25 so i am thrilled he is still available for the Swans pick 43.

Josh is an aggressive running half back/back pocket that has the ability to play on talls or smalls. I recall him playing on a small in Ben Kennedy(175cm) during the National championships and later in the TAC CUP season playing on Liam Mcbean(200cm) for Gippy power v Calder. Josh is a very strong mark for his size hard at the ball or the man and backs himself in every contest. Unfortunately he did not test at the combine. i am not sure of his endurance, but on face value appears to have good pace.

At times can be a little loose and sometimes does not always choose the right time to attack with the ball in hand or in the air. The VC v SA game whilst playing on Ben Kennedy, Josh chose to fly for a pack mark deep in defence and Ben Kennedy roved the pack and kicked a smart forward crumbers goal. This happened twice during the game. Things that could/would be taught at an AFL club.

A great pick up for the Swans as an ideal replacement for Kennelly and/or Shaw.

Edited by UTAH

SnoopDogs Phantom Draft

# 39 Western Bulldogs – Josh Tynan (Gippsland Power/ 185 / 76 / 93)

Natural footballer who has had a terrific year at Gippy and then for Country at the Champs. He can play on talls and smalls so his versatililty will appeal to clubs and he also has that ability to set up pretty well by hand or foot. He is very courageous and thinks nothing of backing back into a mark. Very cool in traffic and his decision making has been elite when I have seen him. Finished off the year with some super performances and think he will be a chance to go higher than here. Could be a bit of a Heppell as well and just take off next year. Scope to play midfield as well.

AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw

Roughie – Julian Dobosz could fall to here. Also have shown they don’t mind developing skinny talls in Grant and Jones so Hamling a chance. Murray newman would be a good fit.

A very good pick here, because it looks like he slipped a little (Phantom drafts usually placed him in the 30s) AND fills a very big need for us.

Our current small medium defenders can be split into 3 groups.

1. Tapscott, Blease, Grimes, Bail, Bennel= all these players have played out-of-position as small defenders in their time at the club. Tapscott, Grimes and Bail should all be midfielders, while Bennel and Blease are not natural defensive players and should be more on a wing

2. Bartram= an average player

3. Strauss= a promising prospect, who has a future as a medium defender, but broke his leg late last year which will see him out for a lot of 2012 and may take 1-2 years to get back to his best, if he does at all

We need a small defender to free-up category 1 players. Hopefully this kid is a big upgrade on Bartram

A very good pick here, because it looks like he slipped a little (Phantom drafts usually placed him in the 30s) AND fills a very big need for us.

Our current small medium defenders can be split into 3 groups.

1. Tapscott, Blease, Grimes, Bail, Bennel= all these players have played out-of-position as small defenders in their time at the club. Tapscott, Grimes and Bail should all be midfielders, while Bennel and Blease are not natural defensive players and should be more on a wing

2. Bartram= an average player

3. Strauss= a promising prospect, who has a future as a medium defender, but broke his leg late last year which will see him out for a lot of 2012 and may take 1-2 years to get back to his best, if he does at all

We need a small defender to free-up category 1 players. Hopefully this kid is a big upgrade on Bartram

Sounds good but wonder how long it will take him to get AFL ready...as in when we might see him

Barry Prendergast just interviewed on SEN...

Firstly mentioned that we filled a lot of needs the last 2-3 drafts, so we focused on best available.

Said that Tynan is a half back flanker, who similar to Grimes likes to drop off and take strong marks in defence and can also rebound. Prendergast mentioned that, although it isn't the reaosn he was drafted, he will allow guys like Grimes to move into the midfield

A very happy Gippy Dee tonight as we welcome the first Gippy player to Melbourne in a long time!

Josh comes pretty highly regarded and some people are fairly surprised that we was taken so late!

Things are starting to come together! We have a Gippy Coach and a Gippy player. I'll sleep well tonight! :-)

Gippy

Just saw on twitter that he has been training with Casey for the last few weeks and that his brother plays for Casey, so he would already know some of the boys!

From twitter:

CaseyScorpions Casey Scorpions

Josh Tynan has been training with us for the past few weeks. His older brother Luke has played at the scorps for a few years now.

Hey Gippy just thought id say hi... Good to see another proud gippslander on demonland!

Keep an eye on Josh Scott next year for the power a good Lakes Entrance boy...

East Gippsaland Demon.

Hey East Gippy Dee!

Love lakes, we frequent up there every holidays and go prawning in the entrance. Love it. I'm actually in Traralgon myself.

There is a lot of talent in Gippy and some very good examples have arisen in the past 10+ years.

Back to Tynan, looking at his videos I think he moves very similar to an Andrew Mackie type. Would love to see if he develops like him too.

Gippy

Matt Burgen, who knows his stuff and sat in on our draft seminar:

"A genuinely great result for Melbourne - considering it got the players it targeted - and more. Having been fortunate to sit in the draft day seminar last week, I know Tynan was one player the recruiting team honed in on at No.36. There was a feeling he may not be there though in some respects. Taggert was also a player discusess at lengths - and he became a priority I believe. Again, we'll chat to Barry after the draft to get the exact details - because he is one who would truly know and be able to reveal the cards. But it seems the boys will be delighted with this outcome."

Hey East Gippy Dee!

Love lakes, we frequent up there every holidays and go prawning in the entrance. Love it. I'm actually in Traralgon myself.

Gippy

Ever been to Golden Beach? Used to go up for hols as a kid. Was a great place to go.

The thing I like about this is the flexibility it gives us. It also shows what sort of defensive unit we might be playing, because he is a small defender but very good overhead and takes marks peeling off his man. One of the interesting things Barry said was about his great discipline.

It also means that Grimes and Tapscott can push onto the ball where their big bodies will count. Neeld appears to be very strong on big bodies in the midfield.

Hey East Gippy Dee!

There is a lot of talent in Gippy and some very good examples have arisen in the past 10+ years.

Back to Tynan, looking at his videos I think he moves very similar to an Andrew Mackie type. Would love to see if he develops like him too.

Gippy

Cheers Gippy , if he ends up as good as Mackie well have done well. Big prawning season coming up this summer mate the small ones are out all ready! Look forward to your comments this season! Go the Dees!