Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Watts given a kick up the ...

Satan

Wow! We wanted no nonsense, we got no nonsense!

I love the challenge he's setting down to various players, I reckon there are some players that will get a lot out of Neeled's attitude.

• Like 1

*note to self. Before reading an article about Neeld and his direct approach, bring a box of tissues.

Loving this guy so much right now.

Admittedly, it will come down to performances, but to hear

"They have to play the game in all three areas (when the Demons have it, when they don't and at stoppages) . . . otherwise, they won't play."

- about Jurrah.

Makes me so happy.

I love Neeld however to an extent what he is currently doing is also intriguing me. I don't expect all to agree but this is just my opinion.

Mark is making a noticeable effort to be heard and seen everywhere. This is great.

My qualm is that every quote seems to be publicly humiliating someone. J Watts receives enough crap from the media as is it's the coaches job to advise behind close doors and than praise in the public arena. I think Neeld is going over the top to some degree to look like that hard nosed guy and I hope it's not to the detriment of being disliked by the players for his public bashings..

I do understand the aboves saying its a good thing to publicly pressure but I cannot recall MM or Chris Scott calling out one of their players once..

Im sure , well , have the idea that Watts wil lactually be fine with this.. Often youth need to have boundaries and expectations defined and actually they more often than not prefer it. Im of the opinion that much of the previous mob's inability to get the team to lift was as a direct result of too much namby pampy 'group hug' type stuff. He we see Neeld beug concise and direct in what is required , expected but at the same time he is also providig the facilities and personel to enable this to happen. Its a partnerrship. "we want you to do this and this is how we'll help you to achieve that goal"

All win/win... all good .

I think he'll take to this new ideology like a duck to water.

• Like 2

Jack has not been humiliated, he has been given a challenge from a coach who was involved in Premierships..

Good. 4 months of hard work. is what he wants. Harder than our list has worked before, to rise up the ladder.

• Like 3

Jack has not been humiliated, he has been given a challenge from a coach who was involved in Premierships..

Good. 4 months of hard work. is what he wants. Harder than our list has worked before, to rise up the ladder.

One Premiership at Collingwood as an assistant just like Dean Bailey at Port Adelaide unless you count flags for Ocean Grove, which I don't. He is a coach who has been hired and without actually doing anything, other then saying a few things, been given the biggest tick imaginable by the media. Admitadly this is no fault of his own but I think these latest comments demonstrate his new found ego. Jack has been in the media recently which is all well and good as far as I am concerned but to single him out and say "there is no point being in ads if you can't play footy" is disrespectful. Especially when he is doing an ad for our major sponser which was obviously organised through the club which to be honest makes Neeld seem like a simpleton. The same can be said about his public comments concerning Morton and Davey. It's okay to have that opinion but whats the point of expressing it to the media. I wouldn't see Roos do it, Lyon do it, Mark Thompson never did it, I can't recall Malthouse singling players out either. Hopefully this is a kick up the bum which makes the players on notice work harder, but I can't see any purpose in it. Overall I think that Neeld has talked the talk but it is going to be time to walk the walk soon and hopefully he is equiped. I can't believe all the people who are deeming this man the messiah already which reminds me of all the gooy do gooders who fell in love with Obama and his premise of changing the world. In the end he is just another politican, and Neeld is just another untried coach which 3 months ago was deemed as inappropriate for our list as we needed a seasoned coach.

Sorry to be so negative but the forum seems to be so upbeat cause Neeld makes bold statements to the media

• Like 2

One Premiership at Collingwood as an assistant just like Dean Bailey at Port Adelaide unless you count flags for Ocean Grove, which I don't. He is a coach who has been hired and without actually doing anything, other then saying a few things, been given the biggest tick imaginable by the media. Admitadly this is no fault of his own but I think these latest comments demonstrate his new found ego. Jack has been in the media recently which is all well and good as far as I am concerned but to single him out and say "there is no point being in ads if you can't play footy" is disrespectful. Especially when he is doing an ad for our major sponser which was obviously organised through the club which to be honest makes Neeld seem like a simpleton. The same can be said about his public comments concerning Morton and Davey. It's okay to have that opinion but whats the point of expressing it to the media. I wouldn't see Roos do it, Lyon do it, Mark Thompson never did it, I can't recall Malthouse singling players out either. Hopefully this is a kick up the bum which makes the players on notice work harder, but I can't see any purpose in it. Overall I think that Neeld has talked the talk but it is going to be time to walk the walk soon and hopefully he is equiped. I can't believe all the people who are deeming this man the messiah already which reminds me of all the gooy do gooders who fell in love with Obama and his premise of changing the world. In the end he is just another politican, and Neeld is just another untried coach which 3 months ago was deemed as inappropriate for our list as we needed a seasoned coach.

Sorry to be so negative but the forum seems to be so upbeat cause Neeld makes bold statements to the media

No. Neeld is making bold statements to the players. The media are just reporting them.

This club is being shook up.

• Like 4

No. Neeld is making bold statements to the players. The media are just reporting them.

Spot on, all he is doing is trying to clear out the cobwebs of a club that was taking mediocre results and running with it. I agree with someone on another post who said it's surprising that we managed to do so well last season if we are so under done compared to other clubs. I think he is coming out and saying these things about the players so they know that he means business! Anyway I think it can only toughen them up because we have players who have been physically and mentally weak for too long. They get paid the big bucks to perform and there is always pressure from supporters to perform so why can't they feel that pressure and begin to realise the steps to becoming an elite footballer.

• Like 2

He is making bold statements to the media to sound tough. Apparently Paul Roos use to have really confronting chats with players behind close doors but we don't know what was said. He didnt go on radio and single blokes out. I just think that a little bit of support of his players in the media is the right path. That's what Brendan Mccarthy is adopting in relation to Brian Lake who was as disappointing as Davey last year. Actually their years were very similiar

Neeld is just another untried coach which 3 months ago was deemed as inappropriate for our list as we needed a seasoned coach.

Deemed inappropriate by whom? The posters on Demonland and Bigfooty?

Poor comment in a poor post. Neeld certainly deserves to be judged on his results, but for the moment, he can only be judged on how he's doing in the pre-season in regard to the players and the club. For the former, too early to say, but attracting Clark, Craig, Misson and the others onboard says something about his capabilities. Would Craig have come to the club if Bailey was still here?

Agree with Watts getting a rocket.

I know he was tired towards the end of the year, but his last few games were garbage. I think he was only averaging 10 or so touches and having next to no impact. He needs to raise the bar so much more for a no 1 draft pick.

He was good in the middle of the season though.

I think he will learn and probably look back at this and maybe think he was a little harsh and a bit too public, however it needed to be said and none of it it wrong. I wonder if these outbursts are for the benefit of the supporters who need to know that things are changing at the club.

I agree with all that he said, I just hope the players get the message and don't sulk.

• Like 3

I can agree with this to an extent. Although I love these statements they are definitely geared towards the supporters rather than the media or the players to buy in to the new coaches/FD. It may be unfair to single out certain players but it is certainly not unwarranted and something that has been said about these same players by supporters and the media for years. Should the coach be making these statements in public? Maybe not but I think it will help create an environment where the acid is on the players - they are paid to play footy and if they can't handle a but of public pressure then they should either drink a cup of cement or GTFO.

Having said that though what I'd like now is for Neeld to put HIS nose to the ground and focus on getting this club back on track for number 13. He's made his point but I think this club has had enough of "words" over the long drought - it's time for actions.

I've read a few comments on this thread that Neeld is making "bold" statements. For me this is part of the problem at the MFC and amongst its supporters. I don't think he's made any "bold" statements. I've finally got a straight talking and no nonsense coach and suddenly he's making "bold" statements ? No, it's plain speak that seemingly many people find uncomfortable. I'm not one of them.

My favourite and most telling part of the article is as follows:

"I've come from a club, Collingwood, that is very direct. Very direct. I really like that," Neeld says. "That's not for everyone. I understand that . . . and that's set right from the top."

Neeld noticed a marked difference between the clubs as soon as he took on the job eight weeks ago.

"It's a bit more conversationalist over here. They'll sit," he says.

"There's a bit more short, sharpness down the road.

"Down here, it is, 'What do you feel about that?', 'What would the impact of that be?' and, 'How's that going to make him feel or her feel?'

It's like music to my ears.

Edited by Ben-Hur

I don't think its a matter of making bold statements - the supporters are very happy with this direct talking for the most part. What I think some people are raising as potential misgivings is the perceived "bagging" or singling out of players in the public mind. He could have very easily made the same comments without referring directly to Davey, Watts or Sylvia having to lift their game or being demoted to Casey.He could have made this as a general statement of all players having to prove themselves. I'm not saying its wrong but I can understand the misgivings. Say what you want behind closed doors but there still needs to be a sense of unity in public. As mentioned did Roos, Malthouse, Thompson etc single out players in public? The last coach I can remember doing so (though to a greater extent) was Blight with his "pathetic" Pittman comments.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

For some reason you already have a negative bias, which is your prerogative, but please quote where he's been disparaging towards Morton ?

I disagree with you regarding the merits of coaching a team in your own right. I think it really holds him in good stead, I believed it helped him in his latter assistant coaching years, and that the success he achieved at Ocean Grove shouldn't be easily dismissed. It's all an important part of his pathway to the MFC. In isolation they could perhaps be considered inconsequential, although not by me, but it would be missing the point and underselling his journey.

And do you think that he should keep his mouth closed because he "hasn't done anything yet" ? It's a fair enough opinion, but I'll back a coach that has the confidence to be his own man. I think he'd readily acknowledge that the proof will be in the pudding. Don't you ?

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2

All fine to change the way things are done... that is why you replace a coach but Neeld ultimately bears the responsibility of bringing his player group with him. Is a continuous string of statements in the press about individuals the best way...who knows.

Edited by Retrospective

I don't think its a matter of making bold statements - the supporters are very happy with this direct talking for the most part. What I think some people are raising as potential misgivings is the perceived "bagging" or singling out of players in the public mind. He could have very easily made the same comments without referring directly to Davey, Watts or Sylvia having to lift their game or being demoted to Casey.He could have made this as a general statement of all players having to prove themselves. I'm not saying its wrong but I can understand the misgivings. Say what you want behind closed doors but there still needs to be a sense of unity in public. As mentioned did Roos, Malthouse, Thompson etc single out players in public? The last coach I can remember doing so (though to a greater extent) was Blight with his "pathetic" Pittman comments.

Some supporters have indeed referred to him making "bold" statements. There's definitely an under-current that he's being "bold". As I said, I don't agree.

I'm absolutely certain that the coaches you've mentioned have publicly been frank about individuals over their coaching journey, even though examples may not readily come to mind. I wouldn't equate Blight's comments with anything Neeld said, so I don't see the need for the analogy. I also don't believe that Neeld has made any remarks that are in anyway concerning about any individual. If anything he could be accused of stating the obvious.

All fine to change the way things are done... but Neeld ultimately bears the responsibility of bringing his player group with him. Is a continuous string of statements in the press about individuals the best way..

It's a bit more conversationalist over here. They'll sit," he says. "There's a bit more short, sharpness down the road. "Down here, it is, 'What do you feel about that?', 'What would the impact of that be?' and, 'How's that going to make him feel or her feel?'

If any club needs to be changed and any club that needs players to be challenged it's the MFC. Or we could have more of the status quo ? That's done wonders over the decades.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1