What questions would you most like to ask Mark Neeld if you were having dinner with him tonight?

Footynut

Pretty much done to death but there will be one day a realisation that the problem is not with the full back kicking out but the continual lack of movement by anyone upfield to give the kicker a viable clear option to kick to. We just don't work hard enough to get a couple of metres of clear space.

yes

So went to dinner and did have the pleasure of speaking to Mark.

Got quite a few questions answered.

I must say that after speaking with him there is no doubt the club is in GREAT hands.

Those piecing blue eyes could kill someone on the spot!

So a few answers to questions out there.

1. Perception the club is under resourced/behind with facilities. He and Neil Craig believe when compared to Collingwood and Crows Melbourne have the same if not BETTER facilities than these clubs. The club is also more resourced with people than the other two clubs mentioned. More that our people have not had role clarity and have not been working efficiently. Told the players stop thinking facilities are any excuse - big change in culture and mindset. Restructured staff - right people in the right places. They must become more efficient.

2. Mitch Clarke offer never changed from the time it was pitched to the second pitch in Brisbane. That was media make up. The amounts reported are also overstated.

3. He said numerous times - 'I only get one shot at this.' Thats why I got Mitch Clarke, thats why we are getting the best people to the club. I want to win. You get the impression this guy will stop at nothing to ensure success.

4. Clubs volume of training was HALF of what Collingwood, Adelaide and Stkilda do. Players are no where near ready to play how he wants them to play next year and reality is this will be a stepped approach to get them to where they need to be physically to play AFL. They wont be playing his game plan exactly how he wants it next year as they currently are so far off physical requirements.

5. Matthew Bate - We will need soldiers next year as most players are not ready for AFL football. He is a required player who has the potential.

6. Its a new leaf for every player at the club and they will need to show him leadership via actions during preseason, The leaders will automatically show out and he will be selecting the leadership group. ALL players will be starting from scratch he has an open mind.

7. Thinks alot of Trengove and Frawley when I posed as leaders.

8. He has had 2 days off in his first 5-6 weeks. He has been home only 4 times during that time. He is working over time to get systems and processes and structures fixed. He acknowledged so he should be - 'its what Melbourne supporters want me to do' And again 'I only get one shot at this.'

9. Didnt want to be drawn on Scully. Never had him so doesnt make any difference to Mark.

10. Colin needs to learn you represent the MFC even when you play for Aust. Drinking night before any training is not acceptable.

11. If a solid experienced player is available at pick 36 he will consider to add body strength to the playing group.

12. Melbourne couldnt get in the door for Caddy as Essendon took up the last day with mediation.

13. Views on particular players - he said we will find out Monday at training. 'I have an open mind until I see them on the track.' Reserves all judgement until then.

14. Still waiting til Monday to see if Aussie comes back from holiday to see what next steps are.

Words to describe: Genuine, down to earth, confident, strong, steely, balanced and knows very clearly what he wants from himself and everyone around him.

The boys ARE in for it on Monday!

Go Dees!

• Like 6

I am assuming this statement comes from reading details/notes from previous training levels/volumes. Even though he would not have seen them it is an observation most would have thought to be the case.

"4. Clubs volume of training was HALF of what Collingwood, Adelaide and St Kilda do. Players are nowhere near ready to play how he wants them to play next year and reality is this will be a stepped approach to get them to where they need to be physically to play AFL. They won’t be playing his game plan exactly how he wants it next year as they currently are so far off physical requirements."

It will take a number of preseasons/years to develop the players up to the levels required; I think next year has the hall marks (win/loss ratio) of this season with a big step up the looked for the year after, maybe even the one after that. A lot of young bodies that need to be developed over a long period of time thus looking at getting mature/stronger bodies later in the draft.

So went to dinner and did have the pleasure of speaking to Mark.

Got quite a few questions answered.

I must say that after speaking with him there is no doubt the club is in GREAT hands.

Those piecing blue eyes could kill someone on the spot!

So a few answers to questions out there.

1. Perception the club is under resourced/behind with facilities. He and Neil Craig believe when compared to Collingwood and Crows Melbourne have the same if not BETTER facilities than these clubs. The club is also more resourced with people than the other two clubs mentioned. More that our people have not had role clarity and have not been working efficiently. Told the players stop thinking facilities are any excuse - big change in culture and mindset. Restructured staff - right people in the right places. They must become more efficient.

2. Mitch Clarke offer never changed from the time it was pitched to the second pitch in Brisbane. That was media make up. The amounts reported are also overstated.

3. He said numerous times - 'I only get one shot at this.' Thats why I got Mitch Clarke, thats why we are getting the best people to the club. I want to win. You get the impression this guy will stop at nothing to ensure success.

4. Clubs volume of training was HALF of what Collingwood, Adelaide and Stkilda do. Players are no where near ready to play how he wants them to play next year and reality is this will be a stepped approach to get them to where they need to be physically to play AFL. They wont be playing his game plan exactly how he wants it next year as they currently are so far off physical requirements.

5. Matthew Bate - We will need soldiers next year as most players are not ready for AFL football. He is a required player who has the potential.

6. Its a new leaf for every player at the club and they will need to show him leadership via actions during preseason, The leaders will automatically show out and he will be selecting the leadership group. ALL players will be starting from scratch he has an open mind.

7. Thinks alot of Trengove and Frawley when I posed as leaders.

8. He has had 2 days off in his first 5-6 weeks. He has been home only 4 times during that time. He is working over time to get systems and processes and structures fixed. He acknowledged so he should be - 'its what Melbourne supporters want me to do' And again 'I only get one shot at this.'

9. Didnt want to be drawn on Scully. Never had him so doesnt make any difference to Mark.

10. Colin needs to learn you represent the MFC even when you play for Aust. Drinking night before any training is not acceptable.

11. If a solid experienced player is available at pick 36 he will consider to add body strength to the playing group.

12. Melbourne couldnt get in the door for Caddy as Essendon took up the last day with mediation.

13. Views on particular players - he said we will find out Monday at training. 'I have an open mind until I see them on the track.' Reserves all judgement until then.

14. Still waiting til Monday to see if Aussie comes back from holiday to see what next steps are.

Words to describe: Genuine, down to earth, confident, strong, steely, balanced and knows very clearly what he wants from himself and everyone around him.

The boys ARE in for it on Monday!

Go Dees!

There were only a few questions asked at Lunch today and most of them were covered above. He said that he will speak to the players in his office on Monday about the leadership and didn't think it was right to tell us before he told them. He also said he didn’t want the supporters to give him or the players any excuses for not performing; that is not acceptable. Both he and Neil Craig said our facilities are the best available. He also said he's not interested in 2011 he's only concerned about next year. That seems to be the theme of all the coaches. Misson said the players need a lot of work to get them up to where he wants.

Craig said that at Adelaide there was an expectation of achievement that started with the top players and went all the way down to the Rookies.

Todd asked the players in the last five games were they going out to play or perform, he said he could go out to play but wouldn’t be any good he needed the players to go out to perform, several told him they couldn’t, probably injured, so they were rested for the last few games.

It is all good at the moment the coaches can hardly wait for the season to start and it starts Monday.

• Like 1

Thanks Footy_Nut and RobbieF for those reports.

I'd love to know the exact physical requirements they speak of to play his kind of game, seeing they're so far off where they apparently need to be. I'm guessing physical bulk, stamina are maybe two obvious areas.

I'm expecting nothing less than vomit.

Footynut, what is the link with Subaru? Is this a possible new sponser?

Just find it interesting the coach thanks Subaru for a great dinner, why would he be having dinner with Subaru?

Was a dinner function.

Subaru had a table at this function.

Mark has a good friend who works at Subaru.

No sponsorship on the table from Subaru. But who knows.

He also mentioned front of jumper sponsor is still being negotiated with two parties vying for the space.

Thanks Footy_Nut and RobbieF for those reports.

I'd love to know the exact physical requirements they speak of to play his kind of game, seeing they're so far off where they apparently need to be. I'm guessing physical bulk, stamina are maybe two obvious areas.

I'm expecting nothing less than vomit.

Nothing short of barfing up the left lung is acceptable ( how did we get started on this ??)