• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Darwin: Tigers out, Demons in

rpfc

Seems to me that the Darwin trips are good fro the club from a comunity aspect, and from a indegenous point of veiw. The brothers surely appreciate the trips up tehre (Espacially flash, LJ and Aussie) and it also gives the rest of the playing group a bit of perspective regarding the cultral leap that these guys have had to make to play footy with them. From what i hear the guys like a team road trip so i dont have a probelm with the NT games, plus we seem to gett he points anyway.

We have increased spending by $15m in two years according to Cam Schwab.

We need to fin d the money for that.

We cannot find it without a dramatic increase in gate takings or membership so we do this.

It's a sacrifice the times require.

I understand your argument. I disagree there is abject necessity. Will be interesting readin glooking at books come next seasons end.

We'll just agree to disagree...we're quite capable of that ..lol

Seems to me that the Darwin trips are good fro the club from a comunity aspect, and from a indegenous point of veiw. The brothers surely appreciate the trips up tehre (Espacially flash, LJ and Aussie) and it also gives the rest of the playing group a bit of perspective regarding the cultral leap that these guys have had to make to play footy with them. From what i hear the guys like a team road trip so i dont have a probelm with the NT games, plus we seem to gett he points anyway.

This is supposed to be the elite sporting competition of the nation, a professional entity, not a social outing for some of the boys. Many times through year we can make our presence known and all warm and fuzzy etc. My sole issue is with timing and relevance during the home and away. Thats all

I understand your argument. I disagree there is abject necessity. Will be interesting readin glooking at books come next seasons end.

We'll just agree to disagree...we're quite capable of that ..lol

We agree on most issues here.

I don't want to do it.

But if it pays for Neil Craig's salary I would do it in a heartbeat.

And then in 10 years time when we have 60000 members we can pay for a great FD and we won't have to go up there.

• Like 1

Red...itll have to be Geelong as there are no byes, maybe we can just skip town !!

This is supposed to be the elite sporting competition of the nation, a professional entity, not a social outing for some of the boys. Many times through year we can make our presence known and all warm and fuzzy etc. My sole issue is with timing and relevance during the home and away. Thats all

For AFL to continue to grow as the "elite sporting competition of the nation" they need to contin ue to support teh NT, TAS etc.

I dont have a problem with the club playing games in NT at all

Red...itll have to be Geelong as there are no byes, maybe we can just skip town !!

Each team gets a bye.

Of course there is a false economy. As points don't get you any money directly.

One thing bb may have been alluding to, or is at least relevant, is any difference in costs/revenue.

What do we get out of corporates, signage, etc versus at the 'G? What does it cost us to send 35+ people up to the NT? etc.

That has to be taken out of the $400K you mentioned.

• Like 1

Each team gets a bye.

One thing bb may have been alluding to, or is at least relevant, is any difference in costs/revenue.

What do we get out of corporates, signage, etc versus at the 'G? What does it cost us to send 35+ people up to the NT? etc.

That has to be taken out of the $400K you mentioned.

Yes, and then the corporate Darwin money has to be considered.

The bottom line is that we would be hundreds of thousands of dollars better off playing in Darwin.

Each team gets a bye.

??

My understanding is there are no byes per se. The home and away season is 22 games over 23 weeks. There WILL be a mid season split round which I suppose infers a bye of sorts. There are to be no byes in the sense as per this season where an inbalance of teams required a team to sit out. No longer needed.

??

My understanding is there are no byes per se. The home and away season is 22 games over 23 weeks. There WILL be a mid season split round which I suppose infers a bye of sorts. There are to be no byes in the sense as per this season where an inbalance of teams required a team to sit out. No longer needed.

and the worst part is - I know you're being serious

• Like 1

??

I think the Drugs have just kicked in....Good Batch obviously...

I think the Drugs have just kicked in....Good Batch obviously...

what ?

and the worst part is - I know you're being serious

The HUN oct 19

With the introduction of Greater Western Sydney, the 2011 season will be played over 23 weeks with the Grand Final scheduled for Saturday, September 29 at the MCG.

Each team will have one week off during the season, with the rest coming from Rounds 11-13 which will each feature six matches, and six teams with a bye."

We agree on most issues here.

I don't want to do it.

But if it pays for Neil Craig's salary I would do it in a heartbeat.

And then in 10 years time when we have 60000 members we can pay for a great FD and we won't have to go up there.

Thats where i sit - we are not financially where other clubs are. We need to be to compete. I do not want to play in NT as it is definitely draining to play in that humidity - we dont need that. I believe we do need the money. The minute we dont then its goodbye NT

Thats where i sit - we are not financially where other clubs are. We need to be to compete. I do not want to play in NT as it is definitely draining to play in that humidity - we dont need that. I believe we do need the money. The minute we dont then its goodbye NT

That's a fair call..But taking on extra games is a big risk, it could be more than just 8 points. But with Free Agency next year the club has to be financial, so i understand why it is happening...

Geelong make this much and more at every "Home" Game...The Legacy of Wayne Jackson...Colonial Stadium "Where every Club would reap the Benefits" Er no only shareholders are winning Wayne.

That's a fair call..But taking on extra games is a big risk, it could be more than just 8 points. But with Free Agency next year the club has to be financial, so i understand why it is happening...

Geelong make this much and more at every "Home" Game...The Legacy of Wayne Jackson...Colonial Stadium "Where every Club would reap the Benefits" Er no only shareholders are winning Wayne.

But unlike other spin that flys around AFL circle I dont give a rats about "forging relationships with the NT" or " giving to the community of NT" - it is about the moolah and nothing but the moolah, so help me god.

• Like 1

But unlike other spin that flys around AFL circle I dont give a rats about "forging relationships with the NT" or " giving to the community of NT" - it is about the moolah and nothing but the moolah, so help me god.

In the words of Grandpa Simpson (what a champ) as he walked into the Social Security office..... "I'm old so Gimme Gimme Gimme"

Exactly, and Richmond have gifted us $1/2 mill. They don't have it now, so we are $1M better off than them before the season is already started. How many extra coaches/physio/medicos can we now have that they don't?

The game is televised free to air on Saturday night. A big positive to sell to sponsors.

For those who think we would do better at the MCG you are assuming we would get an MCG game. In all likelihood we would get to play the Dogs or Port at Etihad, where we would lose money.

As others have said, until we have 60K plus members and 40K turning up at each match we have to be smart and maximise the opportunities for OUR club.

• Like 1

My understanding is there are no byes per se.

The HUN oct 19

With the introduction of Greater Western Sydney, the 2011 season will be played over 23 weeks with the Grand Final scheduled for Saturday, September 29 at the MCG.

Each team will have one week off during the season, with the rest coming from Rounds 11-13 which will each feature six matches, and six teams with a bye."

OK ....

I like the idea of playing one home game a year in Darwin.

A big financial incentive & a great connection with the communtiy especially indigenous.

If the AFL are serious about promoting the game in Darwin, they should fixture this game before the mid-season bye for the Dee's & Power..

OK ....

the point of difference was we are used to a mid season break . Which i suppose is by any other name a bye. . But many might have thought there were still byes ona rolling basis as was the case in 2011 and there arent.

Only weekend with a break is the mid season one. The timing of this with regard to weather and climate is probably not ideal.