Which Players Will Stand Up For Neeld

Watt and Howe?

I think a lot of the young midfielders will go to the next level. I am still unsure about him, but I will be watching the development of Gysberts under the new coach. If, as most on here believe, he is in the same mould as Pendlebury, The Gys might be in for a good 2012.

The other one that I will watch closely is Jack Grimes. I'm sure Neeld will want to get him in to the midfield, but we as a team need him to become a Top 20 midfielder.

Can I be really vague ?

Just about all of them.

All players will stand up?

I don't know about that...

I want to see how we go with specific roles, that is the one thing I liked hearing the most over the weekend - Neeld talking about basing his 22 around 'roles' rather than players.

I think we need that 'role based 22' at the Dees in a big way. Those that 'stand up' will be those that can do the role they are asked to do.

It might not be who we think...

Can you coach "moments of dumbness" out of a player and coach in patterns of play- where you should be and where you should run ?

Look at Nathan Jones - always prepared to do the hard yards and is the closest we have to busting a gut to provide options - I believe he has gained a yard of pace from last year. He is strong through the body but doesnt know how or hasnt been taught to shrug a tackle. He is definitely the subject of the not so occasional brain fade.

Am I being overally optimistic in him turning into our version of Dane Swan ? Statistically ( yeah ...i know) - Chunk has averaged 9 disposals less a game this year, marks and tackles are close - the big one is the amount of goals Swan has kicked 31 to Jones 14.

The remarkable feature is that Swan is 4 years older than Jones - go back to season 2007 for Swan and it is almost mirror image of Jones 2011. Swans became a ball magnet he is today in season 2009 at age 25.

The reason I have picked Jones is he has one outstanding quality - he is prepared to run all day.

I think Neeld will know how to use Morton better and will instil some toughness in him, Sylvia re-signed for a reason and I think he can have a massive year. The ones who need to though are Davey Bennel and Jetta, all had poor years but at their best could win games on their own

Can you coach "moments of dumbness" out of a player and coach in patterns of play- where you should be and where you should run ?

Look at Nathan Jones - always prepared to do the hard yards and is the closest we have to busting a gut to provide options - I believe he has gained a yard of pace from last year. He is strong through the body but doesnt know how or hasnt been taught to shrug a tackle. He is definitely the subject of the not so occasional brain fade.

Am I being overally optimistic in him turning into our version of Dane Swan ? Statistically ( yeah ...i know) - Chunk has averaged 9 disposals less a game this year, marks and tackles are close - the big one is the amount of goals Swan has kicked 31 to Jones 14.

The remarkable feature is that Swan is 4 years older than Jones - go back to season 2007 for Swan and it is almost mirror image of Jones 2011. Swans became a ball magnet he is today in season 2009 at age 25.

The reason I have picked Jones is he has one outstanding quality - he is prepared to run all day.

I agree with everything you say except for the "shrug a tackle" comment. One thing I have noticed about Jones this year is that he has been able to shrug tackles consistently and in a couple of cases that I recall, he managed to break tackles and score impossible goals. His disposal continues to improve and as you say, his pace has picked up (although I have always found him to be deceptively quick when he needs to be).

Jamie Bennell, Brad Green, Col Sylvia

1 out of 3 there Dg.

Sylvia will have a good year.

Green is probably in his last year and there is a chance he will be a bit better than 2011.

Bennell will need a miracle I doubt JC could change him.

I agree with everything you say except for the "shrug a tackle" comment. One thing I have noticed about Jones this year is that he has been able to shrug tackles consistently and in a couple of cases that I recall, he managed to break tackles and score impossible goals. His disposal continues to improve and as you say, his pace has picked up (although I have always found him to be deceptively quick when he needs to be).

Let me rephrase on the tackles - watch Swan - he always seems to get his hands free to deliver a hand pass. Jones runs in congestion ends up in a lot of dead contests ( which is infinitely better than not impacting on a contest at all). Incidently Swans disposal is actually no better or worse than Jones - he can also spray. I think the difference is that hSwan rarely seems to make dumb decisions. The other thing that needs to be recognised when comparing players from say Geelong or Collingwood is the team mates provide clear, unambiguous options for the likes of a Swan to take. It is easy for Swan to deliver to players like Thomas etc who keep presenting and making space.

Edited by nutbean

Let me rephrase on the tackles - watch Swan - he always seems to get his hands free to deliver a hand pass. Jones runs in congestion ends up in a lot of dead contests ( which is infinitely better than not impacting on a contest at all). Incidently Swans disposal is actually no better or worse than Jones - he can also spray. I think the difference is that hSwan rarely seems to make dumb decisions. The other thing that needs to be recognised when comparing players from say Geelong or Collingwood is the team mates provide clear, unambiguous options for the likes of a Swan to take. It is easy for Swan to deliver to players like Thomas etc who keep presenting and making space.

Ok, I accept all of what you are saying... and I think that is the crux of the matter... Jones is willing to go into the contest where no sane person would and then will come out of it looking poor because his team mates have gone awol and he has had no one to clear the ball to.

Bennell will need a miracle I doubt JC could change him.

None-the-less, I hope he's one of the assistants we recruit to support Neeld. Just for the record old dee, where is he coaching at the moment?

Edited by Deeoldfart

All players will stand up?

No, not all. I think most will. There will be a few that will not fall through the sieve and be cast aside.

I think given the season we've had, there will be many ready to put their best foot forward for Neeld. I think he'll be able to communicate individually at each person's level. I like the intention on the style he wants, his direct approach. I forecast that the players as they come to know him will follow his lead and really buy into his direction.

It's very early days (embryonic stage), but fresh and replenished FD, new direction and voice and the distraction and poor performances of 2011 hopefully becoming a thing of the past, will lead to positivity.

Jake Carlise ? At the bombers I think.

Thanks nutty, on that basis I agree totally with old dee ..... JC won't lift Jamie Bennell's game one iota!

Can I be really vague ?

Just about all of them.

Was my thoughts too...i.e If youre there youre standing...if you dont ...you wont be. There will be no middle ground.

Very good post Nutty. Only thing I would question is his ability to shrug a tackle, but I see you've had that conversation with hardtack already. I also think not only does he sometimes have no disposal options, he also often gets given the ball in the impossible situation. Also, as for goal kicking, he has shown himself to be a very handy kick on the run out of the midfield. Not sure what we can do to increase this though, maybe all that is needed is more class around him to open the corridor for him a little. It's clear I am a big fan of Jonesy, I truly feel that he is one of the players at the club with the most upside still to come.

For mine:

• Cale Morton
  • Col Sylvia

Looking forward to seeing who flies and fails under Neeld. Makes for an interesting year.

they all should otherwise they will be gone in 2013