The Compensation

CreedBratton

Guest Jack Donaghy

1) Speculation.

2) Like it's an issue for Morton? Or Bennell? Or Jetta? Or Rivers? Or Trengove? Or Tapscott? Or any of a heap of other players that move? That's just MFC.

How many actually go home? Exceptionally few.

He'd know that there is little chance of him being able to stay in WA - 1 in 9 chance, in fact.

3) the picks won't even be top 10, yet if he were to go in that draft, he'd be top 3.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful here ... we're not the only club with live compo picks. Not sure of who's holding what, and how this plays out, but I don't believe it's as clear-cut a picture as that.

True, mine was a quick and simple version just to provide an example. I believe Geelong are the only other club with a 'mid first rounder' and there are about 4 or 5 other clubs with band 2. Our 'mid first rounder' would be rated behind Geelong's pick for Ablett so a lot will depend on where clubs finish on the ladder.

It's a fracking mess

I don't know how to find the OOC players, I am looking on the net. I'll get back to you.

I have to ask, of this "list" of 24-26 year old stars that are out of contract, why would'nt GW$ have circled? They have more money than anyone else, and I'm sure they wouldn't be wasting their time with old has-beens like Brogan, Power and Junior.

If we want one of the stars that are in that age group, we have to target a contracted player, which will be a very, very difficult situation, unless there is a go-home factor (ie. we need to look at interstate lists).

In regards to the compo picks, if for example, Geelong and Melbourne decide to use their mid-first round pick next season, who gets first bite? Or, for that matter, the end-of-first-round picks, who determines the order? we are all assuming that Melbourne will get it, but is this fact?

How many developing forwards do you want?

We need someone to kick it to the forwards, someone to get a clearance, someone to take advantage of Jamar's hit outs; we need midfielders, midfielder, midfielders, that's what we need. We will never get in to the finals with the midfield we have it is probably the worst in the competition.

Even Bailey was smart enough to understand you need about a dozen midfielders, how many, and what is the quality of the ones we have, go through them.

We have a plethora of developing mids now- throw in Viney and gee-I think we need just one more- an experienced mid leader such as a Jordon Lewis or a Kelly from Geelong type to educate them.Our major weakness is in the coaching ranks and that's where we need to invest in most -along with the recruiting of a versatile tall- such as a Jack Gunston to go with our list now.An Elton would just icing on the cake..

We move on more flexible than before

I'll reserve judgement on the wiser bit :unsure:

I don't thionk it was wiser but I feel we have benefited strongly in the deal.Scully is definately a risk and now we can sit back and gain a two for one first round pick.We need to obtain a similar type to a Martin fron Richmond type.And if Jack Viney can end up around 183/4 cms tall- we have one.

Edited by jayceebee31

We move on more flexible than before

I'll reserve judgement on the wiser bit :unsure:

The Club will no doubt be wiser....I don't think we will ever let a situation Hang over the whole club like a "Black Cloud" for 12 months again.

I would hope not anyway.

I don't thionk it was wiser but I feel we have benefited strongly in the deal.Scully is definately a risk and now we can sit back and gain a two for one first round pick.We need to obtain a similar type to a Martin fron Richmond type.And if Jack Viney can end up around 183/4 cms tall- we have one.

Yes, I said previously that for a number of reasons we may have dodged a large bullet with the $cully affair

I hope we use our new flexibility wisely

We have a plethora of developing mids now- throw in Viney and gee-I think we need just one more- an experienced mid leader such as a Jordon Lewis or a Kelly from Geelong type to educate them.Our major weakness is in the coaching ranks and that's where we need to invest in most -along with the recruiting of a versatile tall- such as a Jack Gunston to go with our list now.An Elton would just icing on the cake..

I don't know if we have a plethora of devloping mids, we have some but what we lack in the midfield are outside skillful mids that can run and carry and more importantly hit targets. Our midfielders are very one paced, I would love to add some speed into our midfield.

The term 'super draft' is thrown around a lot.

There was talk of the Watts draft being a 'super draft' with Watts, Natanui and Rich considered to be close to Hodge, Judd and Ball. We don't know how good the draft will be for several years.

It was considered to be very even talent at the pointy end but very, very deep. I reckon history will prove that to be pretty accurate

Agree with you here John. Elton would be a great get for us at pick 12. He will take some time to bulk up, but not as long as Watts and Cook required, as his frame is physically more mature. Plus i love the way he uses it to get at the ball, it's about time we got some physical aggression from a KPF, back in our forward line.

The only problem i have with the 2012 superdraft and using these two compensation picks in them is that every cat and their dog will be in on this draft, depending on how high a team finishes may mean that an extra 5+ picks go between our first pick and these compo picks,

eg. GWS and GC have numerous picks to use which will push us back, yeah its great to be part of a superdraft but by the time all these extra picks come in our picks 10-11-13 or whatever may be somewhat closer to the 20's?

How good is pick 20 in a superdraft compared to 10-13 in a normal draft?

Guest fitness

One thing that strikes me odd about the AFL's compensation announcement (aside from the timing being the day after Scully leaves, giving more credence to the stage-management aspect of the whole saga) is the fact that, as Kevin Sheedy has alluded to, there are still more GWS signings likely to take place in the coming weeks.

Their press release last night stated "...there was a significant differential in the contract offer to Scully, to those of Ward and Davis, and it was therefore determined that the compensation package for Melbourne should be in the highest band", which says to me that the MFC's level of compensation (as well as the Dogs, Freo and Crows) have been judged against one another's circumstances.

Hypothetically, what would happen if next week GWS announce they have landed say someone like a Dale Thomas (just an example, I know he's already signed)? The point I'm making is that surely the AFL would have been better off waiting until all signings have been announced before announcing the compensation for each affected club.

Edited by fitness

Im Just happy we seem to have been compensated fairly well

Im so glad Melbourne can move forward and look forward once again to Next year

Besides needing a Better than Average Coach we also need a Gun full forward and have for a long time

Lets hope the new coach can bury all the old problems that the club had under Bailey.

I look forward to seeing our results I pray the MFC use them wisely

One thing that strikes me odd about the AFL's compensation announcement (aside from the timing being the day after Scully leaves, giving more credence to the stage-management aspect of the whole saga) is the fact that, as Kevin Sheedy has alluded to, there are still more GWS signings likely to take place in the coming weeks.

Their press release last night stated "...there was a significant differential in the contract offer to Scully, to those of Ward and Davis, and it was therefore determined that the compensation package for Melbourne should be in the highest band", which says to me that the MFC's level of compensation (as well as the Dogs, Freo and Crows) have been judged against one another's circumstances.

Hypothetically, what would happen if next week GWS announce they have landed say someone like a Dale Thomas (just an example, I know he's already signed)? The point I'm making is that surely the AFL would have been better off waiting until all signings have been announced before announcing the compensation for each affected club.

That would mean that next season there would be two players taking up roughly half of their cap. They won't have enough room to be able to do that, there may be more but not on the same money as Scully

I don't know if we have a plethora of devloping mids, we have some but what we lack in the midfield are outside skillful mids that can run and carry and more importantly hit targets. Our midfielders are very one paced, I would love to add some speed into our midfield.

I thought I'd missed something and went on to the MFC site to see who the "plethora of mids are" and I can't find them. Like you I think we need "some" with both skill and speed we have no one that fits that description at the moment. The last thing, repeat last thing we need is another developing forward.

We need good quality mids, I don't care if they are 17 or 27 we need some skill in the middle, we just don't have any at the moment. Maybe they will look at some of the running half backs we've recruited and put them in the middle I 'd like to see Evans and Nicholson play there next year but at the moment with Moloney, Jones and McKenzie we are one paced and lacking in skill. That's not to say we don't need Jordie McK but we need some pace and skill there as well as blue collar.

Agree with you here John. Elton would be a great get for us at pick 12. He will take some time to bulk up, but not as long as Watts and Cook required, as his frame is physically more mature. Plus i love the way he uses it to get at the ball, it's about time we got some physical aggression from a KPF, back in our forward line.

So are you suggesting that we get Elton to replace Cook?

More so where does he (Cook) fit in if we have a player (Elton) that will be groomed for the same position; is he a spare?

Seeing as this thread has got onto drafting does anyone have a idea on how many players we need to move on?

My understanding is that we must take three players in the draft as a mininium.

So we now have one spot available.

Who else gets moved on?

Not sure if anyone’s pointed this out yet, but the compensation pick to be taken after the club’s first pick is potential deal breaker. It may not mean as much to a team that finishes high or mid table, but if you’re a team in the bottom 4 it could be absolute gold in a strong draft.

Have we been underestimating how valuable this pick could be on the trade table? Surely GWS aren’t expecting to finish above the bottom two spots on the table next year. If they finish last, our pick could guarantee them the first two picks in 2012, meaning we potentially beat out GC’s offer of pick 4 in this year’s draft. I hate to think that we could be party to giving them such a leg up, but it’s a massive opportunity to secure a top 5 rated player, which (short of a absolutely horrible season next year) we wouldn’t otherwise have access to.

I don't know about the need for a big body forward, with the sub rule coming in it has forced clubs to play the resting ruckman deep forward. What we have is a number of 190-194cm that can take a mark and kick goals. People will bring up Geelong and Collingwood yes they play three talls up forward, but what they have that we need are the crumbing forwards, the ball gets out of our forward line to easy. We once had the best crumbing, tackling small forward in the comp, hopefully he can find this again over summer.

If we can get quality delivery inside 50m we have enough marking options to test most defenses.

So are you suggesting that we get Elton to replace Cook?

More so where does he (Cook) fit in if we have a player (Elton) that will be groomed for the same position; is he a spare?

Gee Robbief you are being very negative.

Of course we need another skinny Forward who will take 4 -5 years to develop?

Good grief man keep things in perspective.