No.1 Trade Priority

Range Rover

214 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Those on the Fevola/Butcher bandwagons take note. Fevola has a line through him (ref: see club) and Butcher is very unlikely to get to us.

So, what is your no.1 trade priority ?

Frankly, personally a quality player with leadership written all over him would be handy IMO. Someone like say...Brendan Goddard ?

First you say Butcher is unlikely but then say you want to target Goddard?

What makes you think he would even think about coming over to us?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you do not have to wait that long billy.

But it annoys me when you make smart remarks about the lack of patience of us older supporters.

You may be right that some people on demonland are impatient.

When you have been waiting as long as some on here than you will have the right to criticize the older

members on Demonland.

Will you still be a member in 2050 if we have only played in 2 GF's and won none?

Time will tell!

I think it's commonly referred to as 'Enlightened Self Interest' Old Dee.

Something they might gain more of as the years roll on.....

That and a few drops of urgency and aggression throughout the club. Maybe Garry's bringing that right now....i hope. And maybe a little of this....

Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero – "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future" ~ A la Clarkson's sweet move bringing in Stewey Dew for one last season. Different circumstances in terms of where we're at development/talent wise i realise....but a good example of seizing the moment IMO.

First you say Butcher is unlikely but then say you want to target Goddard?

What makes you think he would even think about coming over to us?

They say Butcher is on the verge of re signing with Port.

If Goddard was offered the right money why not?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/06/14/st-kilda-saints-should-trade-goddard-to-gws/

He is by the looks of it open to offers.

“For me personally, I’m as loyal as they come but at some stage players are going to start thinking about their future and life after football is a lot longer than life in it,” he said. “I believe I’ve given everything I can to this footy club and they’ve given back to me as well.”

At the very least it showed he is open to the idea of switching clubs.

Goddard is contracted at St Kilda for next season, meaning GWS can’t do an Ablett-style signing at the end of this year. However, the Giants have a two-year window for such deals and may nab him a year later. Under these circumstances, the Saints would receive the same compensation Geelong received for losing Gary Ablett.

So basically, if St Kilda don’t act this year with a trade, they might lose him anyway a year later and get less in return.

So if that's the case why not Melbourne, we might get a bulk deal. lol

Getting Goddard at the MFC, would be a dream come true..... He's probably the best (if not very close to) Player in the AFL....

I'd really like for MFC to target him in trade week... I also would like for them too go for Lake and Fevola....

Goddard

Lake

Fevola

That would solve alot of MFC problems, in on field performences....C'mon take a risk MFC.

Imagine this!

B: Garland Lake Grimes

HB: Goddard Frawley Blease

C: Davey Trengove Jones

HF: Sylvia Watts Jurrah

F: Petterd Fevola Aussie

R: Jamar Scully Mckenzie

IC: Martin Green MacDonald

Sub: Bennell

Edited by tatu

Getting Goddard at the MFC, would be a dream come true..... He's probably the best (if not very close to) Player in the AFL....

I'd really like for MFC to target him in trade week... I also would like for them too go for Lake and Fevola....

Goddard

Lake

Fevola

That would solve alot of MFC problems, in on field performences....C'mon take a risk MFC.

Imagine this!

That would be a pretty solid team, are you suggesting that we should start to become competitive?

I think a big bodied forward is a must. The way the game is being played at the moment (forward press, tonnes of stoppages, bombing long into forward line, rushed kicks as opposed to precise chains of handballs, more packs forming, increase in contested marks etc etc) a big body up front is a key structural component.

We also really need one to straighten us up, to create some crumbing opportunities, to bring the ball to ground up forward and to provide some physical cover for Watts and Jurrah - and to smash some packs and make that loose player dropping back into the hole who seems to kill Melbourne every week feel a little less keen to do so.

Fevola? I can't believe i'm even considering it, would have absolutely (in fact did) say no way at the beginning of the year. But maybe? He ticks the box for big physical presence who kicks goals, has, i have to admit been pretty impressive the last few months on field and by most accounts off field and to an extent is already in the Melbourne system (and has a relationship with quite a few dees players who he has played with at Casey - and may share a flag with). A rookie contract with strict conditions? Maybe

That would be a pretty solid team, are you suggesting that we should start to become competitive?

That team would be more than competitive.......If were going to change, why not go all the way?

Forgot to put Malthouse as coach....

Edited by tatu

I hope you do not have to wait that long billy.

But it annoys me when you make smart remarks about the lack of patience of us older supporters.

You may be right that some people on demonland are impatient.

When you have been waiting as long as some on here than you will have the right to criticize the older

members on Demonland.

The members who are oldest now will be dead by then.

Goddard

Lake

Fevola

Imagine this!

Goddard yes, Lake No we would be following in Brisbane of 2010 footsteps, Fev really undecided if we rookie listed him and put him on performance based 1 year deal maybe.

How would we go throwing Lake a lifeline and playing him as Full Forward? Just putting it out there for discussion...!!! Can't really see him leaving the Dogs however.

I would love to know the Club's thoughts on Fev. Surely picking him up as a rookie would be an absolute steal (and realistic), it's just the fear of "what if". I honestly don't think the negatives outweigh the positives as much as some think. We picked up Robbie Campbell to help with the development of our rucks. While Robbie didn't come with a long list of priors, he has still been quite a handy rookie pick-up hasn't he? FWIW, I hoped the Club seriosuly looked at Cousins (before he went to Richmond) and the Ball (before he went to Collingwood). If only we had a crystal ball to look at the next 2 years with Fev!

Fevola? I can't believe i'm even considering it, would have absolutely (in fact did) say no way at the beginning of the year. But maybe? He ticks the box for big physical presence who kicks goals, has, i have to admit been pretty impressive the last few months on field and by most accounts off field and to an extent is already in the Melbourne system (and has a relationship with quite a few dees players who he has played with at Casey - and may share a flag with). A rookie contract with strict conditions? Maybe

He hits hard and busts packs when he's on. Anyone filling the hole down back would probably pay a price or at least be looking over their shoulder a little more often i'd think. Wont be coming to the MFC though.

If you haven't seen some of the hits already.....

They say Butcher is on the verge of re signing with Port.

If Goddard was offered the right money why not?

That's right. And the other reason is, despite Butcher's great start to his career. We have a number of options simmering away that might well step in next season. But if for some reason he wants to come to us, we should listen.

Thanks for posting what I posted on O'logy, I was going to but didn't get around to it.

If we're serious about being involved in trade week - which has been mooted by members of the FD. Obvious areas that need addressing are: -

• Midfield (strengthening with mature player/hard body if applicable)
  • Leadership )
  • Quality player (if possible)

Goddard is a utility. Can play midfield, back or forward. Excellent by foot and setting up play, fantastic overhead.

It's a pipedream ATM, but he's not rushing to sign with the Saints, when GWS are sniffing. Who knows ? He could well be the "big fish" or "boom" recruit that is rumoured for GWS. At 26 and 183 games, he has 4-5 good years ahead of him. But I think he is definitely something to consider, given he ticks most boxes (as listed) - particularly leadership which has been a concern. And with our clubs tweaking of front loaded contracts and increasing to 100% TPP, surely we have room to make a play.

Guest Gareth Keenan

No. 1 priority now?

Trade a priority pick plus Bate for the right to select Jaeger O'Meara.

The worst thing we could do this week is to select Bate to play AFL so he can have no influence again and lower his value.

The more he plays VFL, the more appealing he seems.

No. 1 priority now?

Trade a priority pick plus Bate for the right to select Jaeger O'Meara.

The worst thing we could do this week is to select Bate to play AFL so he can have no influence again and lower his value.

The more he plays VFL, the more appealing he seems.

I agree with you tha O'Meara is #1 trade target - midfield star and MUST be traded.

First of all that wont get it done for O'Meara. Try both compensation picks (oooh see what I did!) and you may be getting close - remember we wouldn't trade 2 for 8 and 9.

Second - how dumb do you think recruiters are? Whether Bate plays for MFC, Casey or Upper-Kumbukta West - they know all about him by now.

Edited by old55

Second - how dumb do you think recruiters are? Whether Bate plays for MFC, Casey or Upper-Kumbukta West - they know all about him by now.

A bit harsh, but fair; Bate's no mystery.

Maybe $ and captaincy offer. Perhaps the same things GWS may be offering him. But not as much... :rolleyes:

Haha :D

Not having to move states is a big deal.

A bit harsh, but fair; Bate's no mystery.

FMD - do people really think that clubs aren't all over every player on an AFL list - especially players who've been on AFL lists for many years, subject to opposition analysis for match-day for a start off.

"Gee that Matty Warnock's going well in the VFL, anyone ever seen him play?"

Guest Gareth Keenan

Hahhahaha yeah yeah, I know that...

Once I start delving into the fantasy of us actually obtaining O'Meara, the lines get a bit blurred...

I know it will take more, but I wouldn't want to give up both priority picks (yes, I saw what you did).

Maybe 1 pick plus a guy like Petterd or even MacDonald or Rivers (even then, not enough).

I'm just desperate to chuck Bate in as steak knives - he's under contract & we need to move him.

I'm worried that he's that poor, they won't take him even as a mature-bodied freebie.

If we refuse to play him, it could possibly look like we have misused and mismanaged him.

A bit like Hale leaving North - he played in the VFL most of last year and was poor when promoted.

Hahhahaha yeah yeah, I know that...

Once I start delving into the fantasy of us actually obtaining O'Meara, the lines get a bit blurred...

I know it will take more, but I wouldn't want to give up both priority picks (yes, I saw what you did).

Maybe 1 pick plus a guy like Petterd or even MacDonald or Rivers (even then, not enough).

I'm just desperate to chuck Bate in as steak knives - he's under contract & we need to move him.

I'm worried that he's that poor, they won't take him even as a mature-bodied freebie.

If we refuse to play him, it could possibly look like we have misused and mismanaged him.

A bit like Hale leaving North - he played in the VFL most of last year and was poor when promoted.

I'd be very happy to give both - in effect it's Scully for O'Meara - we may even have to throw in something on top of that. Everyone knows 2 mid first rounders is inadequate compo for a #1 pick and that's quite likely to be borne out when it alone doesn't close the deal for O'Meara another #1 pick. But it's a mighty strong starting point since they're good for 5 years - someone would have to offer something very good to trump it - like Sam Mitchell good.

Pick upgrade for Bate is the right price and outcome - someone will be interested at that price - worst case he stays on the list and that's OK, we'll be able to find enough gaps.

Just as an aside - if we got O'Meara he can't play until 2013 so I assume he doesn't take a list spot. I also saw that the AFL CBA offer includes reducing the list by 1 to 39 including vets - 38 plus nominated rookie - so if that sticks we will have to find an extra delist or trade.

Thought I'd voice an opinion on the topic because I reckon it's a very interesting one. I truly believe the primary reason we're not moving forward as quickly as we'd have liked is that our team is truly lacking is quality mature leadership. This aside, there are certainly some list management areas to look at.

By far and away our primary focus needs to be attracting an established, proven key power forward. We have promising developing tall forwards in Watts, Fitzpatrick and Cook (I'll throw Martin in that category also), but in all likelihood both Fitzpatrick and Cook's development over the next two years will be seen primarily at Casey.

In the here and now, we need a forward who could potentially be the difference between us playing finals in 2012 and not. Finals experience is invaluable for players and premiership teams are built on the back of this experience. The sooner we have a taste, the better off we'll be. We need to build the foundations for a forward structure that enables our boys to learn the art of playing in a side with a power forward, which will enable the likes of Fitzpatrick, Cook and Watts to seamlessly transition into that position for us when they are ready. On that basis, and looking purely at football ability, I reckon a committed Fevola is the right option here. Pick him up as a late draft pick, put him on base salary and pay him $12-$15k for each game he plays in the 1s. If he doesn't play the games, he doesn't cost us anything. Win-win for both parties.

The next priority should be towards attaining a genuine elite small crumbing forward (if available). I feel sorry for our current suite of small crumbing forwards i.e. Wona, Maric and old-school Davey because our post-Neitz era has not given them the opportunity to develop their craft like they should have been able. That's been unfortunate. Aaron Davey seems to have lost his way a little, and as we saw against Carlton, his move forward to re-invogorate his play just did not work. You can certainly pass lay some blame to his current mind-set, but I also believe he really lacked opportunities to feed off the crumbs of a KPF. He used to feed off Neitz and Robbo religiously and instinctively. We miss that.

I would love to see us make a play to GWS for the right to select Jaeger O'Meara (no more needs to be said) or 17 yr old Benny Kennedy from SA who looks an absolute gem of a small forward. His acceleration and awareness look elite already and would fill a need of ours in coming years undoubtably.

If we receive two first round picks for Scully, we should go hell for leather to attain the right to compete for one these two elite 17 yr olds who will start alongside Jack Viney in 2013. We should use a combination of Warnock, Bate, Dunn, Morton, excess first round picks, to give us the right to participate in the mini-draft. I don't think we can lose in this scenario.

Thoughts?

Good post.

The Fev show should go West .

What a complete waste of energy to recruit him after delisting Jnr and Miller .

I read that some of the kids are partying too much already -Fev would make matters worse .

Butcher yes .

PS-Could we get Jarman to be our skills coach?

That would be a coup.

Still disappointed from his side's meek exit from top-eight contention with a loss to St Kilda last weekend, North coach Brad Scott says his team needs polish added in the off-season to take the next step.

And he has promised the Kangaroos will be active in October's trade week to help achieve that aim.

"If we can add that polish, we're confident that 2012 is going to be a really exciting one for us," Scott said.

"You're always looking to improve your list.

"We sit ninth on the ladder at the moment and it's clearly not good enough.

"We'll be looking at anything we can to improve our list.

"We're going to be really aggressive, really ruthless to ensure that we improve from 2012 and beyond.

Well North have declared their intentions, it would be nice to see us adopt the same approach.

Guest Gareth Keenan

old, I'd give GWS three first round picks for O'Meara.

I'd negotiate if that wasn't enough.

I would too.

Bear in mind, it's not possible to trade future draft picks, only current picks and compo picks.