Nev Jetta

drdrake

If I was a coach I would love having this guy in my team. What he brings is the hard stuff, the big bumps, the sheppards and tackles that stick. Three goals yesterday came from Jetta doing this hard stuff and he wasn't playing on a kid he was playing on a good senior footballer.

I still remember his game in the midfielder pre-season angainst Brisbane his clearance wotk and hardness at the contest was the best I've seen by a Melbourne player for some time. The key to his future improvement is his tank, he needs to work on his tank to be able to play in the midfield, he is not a small forward. He needs to stay fit over pre-season I think he missed a lot this year, get his running capacity up and I can see him runing regularly through our midfield rotation. This will bring an unselfish player into our midfield that will be prepare to create space through his body pressence, this is something our midfield lacks, someone that works hard to create space for their team mates around stoppages, this is done by postioning, sheppards and blocks.

Big soft spot for him, because I love this type of player, I just hope he can get his endurance up.

If I was a coach I would love having this guy in my team. What he brings is the hard stuff, the big bumps, the sheppards and tackles that stick. Three goals yesterday came from Jetta doing this hard stuff and he wasn't playing on a kid he was playing on a good senior footballer.

I still remember his game in the midfielder pre-season angainst Brisbane his clearance wotk and hardness at the contest was the best I've seen by a Melbourne player for some time. The key to his future improvement is his tank, he needs to work on his tank to be able to play in the midfield, he is not a small forward. He needs to stay fit over pre-season I think he missed a lot this year, get his running capacity up and I can see him runing regularly through our midfield rotation. This will bring an unselfish player into our midfield that will be prepare to create space through his body pressence, this is something our midfield lacks, someone that works hard to create space for their team mates around stoppages, this is done by postioning, sheppards and blocks.

Big soft spot for him, because I love this type of player, I just hope he can get his endurance up.

im with ya. We can't go wrong with the likes of Nev Jetta

He has some good qualities. He's hard, has good evasive skills and seems surprisingly good at stoppages. However, there are a few problems that are significant.

I've previously said he was slow. I'm now not sure if he is necessarily slow, or whether it's just his terrible tank that makes him slow; after every play involvement he looks like he's just ran 5kms. If it does just come down to being too stuffed to run, at least that's something he might be able to improve.

His disposal is also a bit shoddy; particularly by foot.

Absolutely love the way he plays. It's ashame we can't combine Benny & the Jett into one player. His intensity and attack on the ball, as well as his off the ball work reminds me of Jones. The only thing holding him back is his tank IMO and in the coming years if he can build this he would be great in the midfield. He, Jones and McKenzie are perfect examples of how you don't need to be the most talented player to have an effect on the game, if all of our 22 showed as much gut as these three did then we wouldn't lose.

Absolutely love the way he plays. It's ashame we can't combine Benny & the Jett into one player. His intensity and attack on the ball, as well as his off the ball work reminds me of Jones. The only thing holding him back is his tank IMO and in the coming years if he can build this he would be great in the midfield. He, Jones and McKenzie are perfect examples of how you don't need to be the most talented player to have an effect on the game, if all of our 22 showed as much gut as these three did then we wouldn't lose.

Agree with this, it is a shame that all three have major parts of their game that is holding them back, Jones and McKenzie disposal and Jetta his running capacity.

He has some good qualities. He's hard, has good evasive skills and seems surprisingly good at stoppages. However, there are a few problems that are significant.

I've previously said he was slow. I'm now not sure if he is necessarily slow, or whether it's just his terrible tank that makes him slow; after every play involvement he looks like he's just ran 5kms. If it does just come down to being too stuffed to run, at least that's something he might be able to improve.

His disposal is also a bit shoddy; particularly by foot.

I've previously said I don't think he'll make it, and I feel really guilty for saying it because he's absolutely full of guts. I really love how he plays the game, you always know that he'll leave absolutely no stone unturned when it comes to trying to win the ball from the opposition or at a stoppage. He's also pretty good overhead for his size. But for the reasons you listed, I suspect that when (if?) our side eventually becomes very strong, those attributes on their own won't be enough.

I think when the time comes to delist him, the decision will be agonising. Either way, he's still young and there's a basis to work with, so he's worth persevering with for a couple more years before making that tough call.

We could definitely do worse than Jetta as a depth player.

He can play a few roles too, which make him a pretty handy asset to have on your list.

I just wish Jetta had Bennell's pace and disposal, because FFS Bennell annoys the crap out of me. So much talent, but no guts.

Jetta has the ability he just needs to be more consistent. See Indigenous Round 2010 & 11.

2010:

• 21 disposals
  • 6 marks
  • 8 tackles
  • 4 goal assists
  • 7 inside 50's

• 23 disposals
  • 8 marks
  • 6 tackles
  • 2 goals assists
  • 3 inside 50's

Edited by Watt and Howe?

Sitting in the stand with the nr 39 on the back of my guernsey. it was good to see Nev playing his role, kicked a nice goal and had a hand in three others, six tackles........good job he is still only 21 and will be into his second full preseason come Oct.......sheesh....try and pick the good qualities.....I would if it was possible have 22 Jetta, Jones and McKenzies.........all are still young, people forget Jonesy is only 23.....patience is the key

Agree with this, it is a shame that all three have major parts of their game that is holding them back, Jones and McKenzie disposal and Jetta his running capacity.

These are minor quibbles in the face of their overall impact on the team's intent, which is our glaring weakness. Nev Jetta is an absolute gem, and with Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Trengove, Tapscott, Frawley and Grimes, form the 'hardness' which needs to be highlighted, made something to aspire to, and become the minimal acceptable commitment for the entire list. I have no doubt Nev's engine will develop, and even less doubt he will become one of the first players selected over the coming seasons as a result. With Jack Viney to come, who Chris Grant on radio called a 'brick with eyes', let's desperately hope we are on the cusp of a new era of hardness.

These are minor quibbles in the face of their overall impact on the team's intent, which is our glaring weakness. Nev Jetta is an absolute gem, and with Moloney, Jones, McKenzie, Trengove, Tapscott, Frawley and Grimes, form the 'hardness' which needs to be highlighted, made something to aspire to, and become the minimal acceptable commitment for the entire list. I have no doubt Nev's engine will develop, and even less doubt he will become one of the first players selected over the coming seasons as a result. With Jack Viney to come, who Chris Grant on radio called a 'brick with eyes', let's desperately hope we are on the cusp of a new era of hardness.

I agree, I am sure Todd Viney in his review will hightlight where Nev moved the Gold Coast player backwards a few metres with a decent fair bump, he didn't even need to tackle him to clear a path.........and it led to a goal....you can add Bail to that list......

Edited by satyricon

I agree, I am sure Todd Viney in his review will hightlight where Nev moved the Gold Coast player backwards a few metres with a decent fair bump, he didn't even need to tackle him to clear a path.........and it led to a goal....you can add Bail to that list......

True thing.....loved that bump, and let out a big and very satisfying 'OOOOOHHHH'! Yep, forgot Bail. Just a little smokey to think about also is that if Spencer comes back OK and continues to improve, he has a serious (possibly too much) amount of mongrel about him. He has become the forgotten man obviously with his knee and the prospect of Maxy Gawn, but he just may make it by his mid-twenties as ruckmen do.

Nev is another player on our list who has all of the tools to succeed but needs to up his workrate and consistency. He was really good yesterday, both with his strength in tackling and his ability to win contested ball and break tackles, but needs to win more of the ball. He needs to work really hard on his fitness over the coming pre-season so he has the legs to keep making that sort of impact all year and consistently produce games with 20+ possession, 2-3 goals and lots of tackling and clearance work in the forward half. If he can do that swinging through the forward pocket and midfield he'll be a real asset to the team.

I've previously said I don't think he'll make it, and I feel really guilty for saying it because he's absolutely full of guts. I really love how he plays the game, you always know that he'll leave absolutely no stone unturned when it comes to trying to win the ball from the opposition or at a stoppage. He's also pretty good overhead for his size. But for the reasons you listed, I suspect that when (if?) our side eventually becomes very strong, those attributes on their own won't be enough.

I think when the time comes to delist him, the decision will be agonising. Either way, he's still young and there's a basis to work with, so he's worth persevering with for a couple more years before making that tough call.

Why would delist him in time??? Yes, he has taken time to find his feet - but, he aint on his pat maolne there. Every coach who is in control of top 4 sides love the solid players who do a huge amount of team efforts & 1%'ers. I have no doubt our staff (whoever they are in the future) will love him. He brings a bit to the side & will only get better.

Go Niffty Nev!!!

His bump was impressive because it wasn't a young Gold Coast play it was Harbrow and he moved him 5m of the ball. I have full confidence that if Nev can stay healthy through pre-season he will become a very good mid-fielder.

Why would delist him in time??? Yes, he has taken time to find his feet - but, he aint on his pat maolne there. Every coach who is in control of top 4 sides love the solid players who do a huge amount of team efforts & 1%'ers. I have no doubt our staff (whoever they are in the future) will love him. He brings a bit to the side & will only get better.

Go Niffty Nev!!!

Because I expect that as our team develops in to a good side, he'll be passed by players who are faster, have bigger tanks and are better by foot. If he improves on these weaknesses then there'll still be a place for him, obviously.

Was really surprised he didn't get more of a go earlier this year. Had a ripper pre-season particularly the games v dons and weagles. Aggressive tackler, perfect if the team employs a defensive press. He bulled up significantly this year, put on a bit more and he'll be a real force

His speed is the problem. Without good speed he struggles as a shut down midfielder or small forward. He needs to become a half forward flanker and/or inside midfielder and without extra speed that means he needs top fitness. As he's never had a preseason he is obviously short on fitness.

Nev Jetta is my favourite of the Indig' boys. . I think he's great.

He has the desire to succeed and to do the work & the dirty work as well. He has a bit of attitude onfield and a bit of Go about him. He's humble and without too much egotistical nonsense.

For mine he's the real deal and I hope he can continue to improve his game and his weaknesses.

Played a great Game yesterday...the 3rd Q i saw on TV was great.

Great snap Goals, Pace through the middle and a huge one handed mark on the MCC wing....Jetta will be a gun in our rise. The exact player who needs a Top Line coach to extract the very best of him.

Well done Neville....make 2012 your own.....play 20 games next year.

Because I expect that as our team develops in to a good side, he'll be passed by players who are faster, have bigger tanks and are better by foot. If he improves on these weaknesses then there'll still be a place for him, obviously.

Unfortunately I agree with you Nasher. Will be stoked if he can prove us wrong.

He did play exceptionally well on the weekend though. Hope he can keep it up. Will be a big year for him next year.

Edit: Interesting to note that FanFooty.com had Harbrow minding Jetta and not the other way around. I rate Harbrow.

Edited by UTAH

I would keep Jetta over Bartram and Morton.

Clint Bartram is so under rated, his negating role on Ablett was fantastic considering what that nude nut has done to us over the last 4 years.

Bartram is also in the middle of a pack often, getting a ball free...unseen by even TV audiences...it happened at least 3 times last saturday.

Yep he aint the greatest kick, but he has a lot of grunt, and i bet the team love him.

Clint Bartram is so under rated, his negating role on Ablett was fantastic considering what that nude nut has done to us over the last 4 years.

Bartram is also in the middle of a pack often, getting a ball free...unseen by even TV audiences...it happened at least 3 times last saturday.

Yep he aint the greatest kick, but he has a lot of grunt, and i bet the team love him.

Yep they seem to be bringing him back to the Mids whilst we play the Strauss's, Bleases & Tapscotts.

Simon Godfrey was a good tagger as well. If Bartram is as good as Clint Jones then sure keep him, but I doubt he is. Bail and McKenzie should be our two defensive orientated midfielders, Bartram is just depth.