In case you were wondering about Colin Sylvia ...

So trading Sylvia out is your answer to it all too, is it !?

Far from it.

Just stop trying to say all is wonderful.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt

but it gets very difficult to discuss why we are such a poorly performed side when every player raised is ok.

"Just give him time or he has only been at the club 4 years or 65 games is hardly enough to judge".

I am not sure if a lot on here have noticed but we are fifth last on the ladder.

In danger of loosing either or both of the last two games.

We have an administration that is far from harmonous

No Coach for 2012

have lost a game by 186 points this year, and have lost the last 5 games

by an average of 80 points

Seems to me there are a lot of problems.

Please look at the problem pieces.

Edited by old dee

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from it.

Right. Well why respond to my comment in the first place then, old dee ?

My point is BB59 wants Sylvia traded. Sylvia isn't the only bloke on the list BB59 wants traded. There are a few. Then there's the ones he wants delisted.

There's not many at all on our list that can produce and finish the way Sylvia can, consistently or inconsistently.

Right. Well why respond to my comment in the first place then, old dee ?

My point is BB59 wants Sylvia traded. Sylvia isn't the only bloke on the list BB59 wants traded. There are a few. Then there's the ones he wants delisted.

There's not many at all on our list that can produce and finish the way Sylvia can, consistently or inconsistently.

Because our team is so SO good ??? Come off it. Finishing is wonderfull...when he does.. Lets forget about the start and middle bit shall we for that s all over the place on any given friday,sat , or sunday !!

It would be silly to sugest all possible trades would ever transpire. but that ought not perturb a decent club fronm investigating the way to better the list.

You suggest , id imagine , keeping Sylvia simply because he does a few things well occasionally ?? Thats really setting the bar high HT..oh so high !

Because our team is so SO good ??? Come off it. Finishing is wonderfull...when he does.. Lets forget about the start and middle bit shall we for that s all over the place on any given friday,sat , or sunday !!

It would be silly to sugest all possible trades would ever transpire. but that ought not perturb a decent club fronm investigating the way to better the list.

You suggest , id imagine , keeping Sylvia simply because he does a few things well occasionally ?? Thats really setting the bar high HT..oh so high !

If he only does a few things well occasionally, and is worth trading etc then our list will also have another 35 players up for trade,

As one of those who have been critical of Sylvia I have to say yesterday's performance was simply terrific.

My conplaint is not that he can dominate but it seems he has been not putting in every week.

Last year I put him down as a smokey this year for the Brownlow such is his raw talent.

But to end on a positive he was simply best on ground yesterday by a wide margin. Well done.

It beggars basic common sense that posters would freely considering putting Sylvia out to trade. (Yeh Yeh I know if we could a ridiculously lopsided offer....).

He showed yesterday that he can seriously impact games. Yes he needs more consistency and to get rid of the brain fades that will see him suspended this week. But putting him out on the market. Sheesh.

I am sure the MFC FD have more sensible view of things.

It beggars basic common sense that posters would freely considering putting Sylvia out to trade. (Yeh Yeh I know if we could a ridiculously lopsided offer....).

He showed yesterday that he can seriously impact games. Yes he needs more consistency and to get rid of the brain fades that will see him suspended this week. But putting him out on the market. Sheesh.

t beggars disbelief that you wouldnt.

in many ways Colin Sylvia epitomes everything about Melbourne.

He without doubt has some invaluable talent

He can at times turn it on. Often plays way below ability

He can often go missing, he can often show petulant immature attitudes.. (Did yesterday ) . Seems incapable of stringing games together , let alone a season.Occasionally and rarely puts 3 qtrs of good footy on . There..thats Melbourne in a nutshell.

Until yuou change all of these then we're doomed to repeat ad infinitum our mediocrity

He can often go missing, he can often show petulant immature attitudes.. (Did yesterday ) . Seems incapable of stringing games together , let alone a season.Occasionally and rarely puts 3 qtrs of good footy on . There..thats Melbourne in a nutshell.

Until yuou change all of these then we're doomed to repeat ad infinitum our mediocrity

I think we should be keeping CS if the price is right but otherwise what you say is correct.

some posters think we are travelling wonderfully at present.

I think his season has been better than in past seasons. He definitely has capabilities that as a side we lacked in spades.

But I am glad youve concluded getting rid of Sylvia will solve our doomed to mediocrity.

Marvellous stuff. Well done.

some posters think we are travelling wonderfully at present.

Care to name them??? I dont think there is anyone that has that view.

Its just that we dont wallow in negatives like you old dee. As much as you enjoy it.

I would imagine it's better than the alternative or your proposition. And BB59, trading him for what/who ???

Would that be setting the bar higher than keeping him ?

With regards to "occassionally", how often do some of our other players put in performances such as these ?

Jurrah ?

Green ?

Petterd ?

Davey ?

Do any of these players go in as hard as Sylvia ? Do they contest as much as what Sylvia offers ? Do they offer any of the following aspects as well as kicking goals??: -

Colin Sylvia

Tackles - 101 (ranked 2nd)

Inside 50's - 89 (ranked 1st)

Hard Ball gets - 77 (ranked 2nd)

Kicks - 215 (ranked 4th)

Contested Possession % - 46.1% (ranked 3rd)

Goals: Jurrah 37, Green 31, Sylvia 25...

Far from it.

Just stop trying to say all is wonderful.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt

but it gets very difficult to discuss why we are such a poorly performed side when every player raised is ok.

"Just give him time or he has only been at the club 4 years or 65 games is hardly enough to judge".

I am not sure if a lot on here have noticed but we are fifth last on the ladder.

In danger of loosing either or both of the last two games.

We have an administration that is far from harmonous

No Coach for 2012

have lost a game by 186 points this year, and have lost the last 5 games

by an average of 80 points

Seems to me there are a lot of problems.

Please look at the problem pieces.

So, old dee apart from those minor blemishes how do you think we are travelling :)

Just kidding, when you list it like that it is so depressing. Thank god (or whoever) for off-seasons....it can't come quick enough for me.

Funny isn't it, it doesn't seem so long ago we were doing lists ticking off all the giant steps we had taken as a club in the previous 3 years. Just shows how fragile we really are. For the life of me I can't really understand how with all those positives it can so suddenly turn rotten

I would imagine it's better than the alternative or your proposition. And BB59, trading him for what/who ???

Would that be setting the bar higher than keeping him ?

With regards to "occassionally", how often do some of our other players put in performances such as these ?

Jurrah ?

Green ?

Petterd ?

Davey ?

Do any of these players go in as hard as Sylvia ? Do they contest as much as what Sylvia offers ? Do they offer any of the following aspects as well as kicking goals??: -

Colin Sylvia

Tackles - 101 (ranked 2nd)

Inside 50's - 89 (ranked 1st)

Hard Ball gets - 77 (ranked 2nd)

Kicks - 215 (ranked 4th)

Contested Possession % - 46.1% (ranked 3rd)

Goals: Jurrah 37, Green 31, Sylvia 25...

Youve validated the argument that not too much ought to be read blindly into statistics.

But I agree tat youve highlighted other players who need to get a wiggle on. As I suggested Sylvia epitomises our woes. Others that paint a similar picture are those you highlight. Its a worry isnt it. Of those the only one I'll give some leeway to is Jurrah.. None have a similar background or mitigating circumstances. But his output is indeed a littel all over the place. Many have no excuses what so ever.

Beautifully summed up!

I defy anyone to show me an example of a player on the list who has performed at a consistent level week in week out this year.

The issue of consistency is the groups failing, not Colin's alone!

Youve validated the argument that not too much ought to be read blindly into statistics.

But I agree tat youve highlighted other players who need to get a wiggle on. As I suggested Sylvia epitomises our woes. Others that paint a similar picture are those you highlight. Its a worry isnt it. Of those the only one I'll give some leeway to is Jurrah.. None have a similar background or mitigating circumstances. But his output is indeed a littel all over the place. Many have no excuses what so ever.

Ok maybe Jurrah could be an exception "occassionally", but you get my drift.

Other than that, if those statistics cannot convince you, nothing can.

I'd love to see what transpires under a new coach with a heavy hand !

No one has said it yet so I will.

This is exactly what Sylvia's critic's complain about.

Best on the ground this week and out for the next two games

So no contibution or One good game in three.

And before you all jump down my neck I am not saying get rid of him.

But it is classic Sylvia.

Spot on.

He is very unreliable.

If he was consistent in form he would be in the top 10 players in the AFL, that is how good he can be.

Ok maybe Jurrah could be an exception "occassionally", but you get my drift.

Other than that, if those statistics cannot convince you, nothing can.

I'd love to see what transpires under a new coach with a heavy hand !

and a size 12 boot with steelcaps !!

sadly a salient point only too often missed by most..

I still favour trading.. for exactly the above

We need consistency in our team, its attitude and output.

You just dotn get it with Col.. more the poorer really.

Leopard >>>>>>> Spots !!

Very well said. Agree entirely.

This is a summary of Colin's stats over the period of time he's been with us, they are about 10% down on the previous two years.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-melbourne-demons--colin-sylvia

When he's hot he's hot, when he's not he's not. He is a very good player and hopefully the new coach will get the best out of him. It looks from this article that he will re sign so let's hope he can prove to be the player we know he can be.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/121574/default.aspx

Absolutely perfectly stated B59. Couldn't agree more!

The horror of it all is that we have had a club culture (coaches and committee) that has continuously accepted this level of mediocrity

Lot of people in this thread eating their words, should have a good hard look at themselves.

Gun player, champion bloke. If he hadn't have been out there yesterday, and couldn't have been thrown into the guts in the third term, we would have lost by 10 goals.

Heart bleeds red and blue. If he had more support he would be even better to this stage of his career.

Perfectly summed up - could not agree more.