Trade Week, Lets Make a Play!!

DEELIRIOUS

Guest hangon007

I struggle to see why nearly 1 of the good players mentioned in this thread would want to come to us ... quite the opposite in fact more of our good players are likely to leave.

Why would you want to play in half empty stadiums where the supporters spend more of their time bagging you ... than barracking for you.

Well suppose if you had few other options you MIGHT consider it, otherwise go somewhere you would be RESPECTED. B)

But good luck in your search to attract a top liner, why not stick with the draft ... those kids have no options.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Melbourne obsession with a power forward is ridiculous. Power forwards are over rated and you could put any single power forward into Melbourne and we would still be getting smashed.

It is the midfield. It is always the midfield and even if scully stays we still do not have enough quality in the midfield.

Our big trade play needs to come next year with the introduction of free agency. $4 million over three years to Scott Pendlebury with $2mil in the first year. Get a genuine champion midfielder into the demons line up who can lift all the young potential to new heights.

Spot on green_machine

A good midfield (and good midfield coaching) make forwards look good and take the pressure off the defenders

Can't be over emphasised

I struggle to see why nearly 1 of the good players mentioned in this thread would want to come to us ... quite the opposite in fact more of our good players are likely to leave.

Why would you want to play in half empty stadiums where the supporters spend more of their time bagging you ... than barracking for you.

Well suppose if you had few other options you MIGHT consider it, otherwise go somewhere you would be RESPECTED. B)

But good luck in your search to attract a top liner, why not stick with the draft ... those kids have no options.

Yeah, like Scully has no options.

Yeah, lets draft some more youngsters so they can walk when their 2 year contracts are up

Yeah, lets go back to the draft so next year we can have an even younger side than we have now

Yeah, lets build everything around the draft so we can wait seven years for the players to develop while getting smashed in the interim

For someone claiming to be a positive supporter you are in fact a dedicated defeatist

FFS we need to TRADE for proven players to restore some balance to a very dysfunctional group

Its amazing what you can do when you invest $ 20 million dollars inside your football department & have complete control over your OWN VFL side.

Not sure how your comment relates to the topic, but I am somewhat surprised at your remark Hangon. We simply do not have the critical mass nor financial viability at this point to consider such a potentially dangerous and short term action of pumping huge sums into our own VFL side. Such a proposal for us is simply dreaming.

Further in our position you don't just pull very scarce resources from elsewhere to address such an issue, even if you wanted to go this way.

Instead it seems to me the club are looking longer term in trying to build some critical mass in the growth corridor in and around Casey. Unless someone has a better idea of how to grow our supporter base, I'm happy to run with this as we also have the support of a large and growing council in achieving a win /win partnership. As somebody else said "We are sort of building the plane as we are flying it".

I live nowhere near Casey but have been to watch several games there. The last time I went was against Collingwood earlier this year. I thought at that time, about how much had been achieved in such a short term, how good the ground was, that the amenities were all very new, facilites public friendly and overall what a good facility it was becomming and the best bit is that we has sole access to it.

Sadly we are not much more than a co-tennant at the "G" these days, when we get a chance to play there, usually on a Sunday afternoon..

Frankly I think it has been a brave, modern and untraditional move which is a bit unusual for us, but I'm glad we've had the nuts to give it a crack. Who knows one day we might own the South East Corridor of Melbourne or at least a decent slice of it.

Hangon from your previous remarks you are clearly a proponent to playing games in Darwin to secure a better financial outcome for the club, for mine a reasonable position to take as long as you don't kill your players doing it, so I am surprised at your stance re our VFL side.

What about it's potential benefits at Casey?

We are not alone in our initiative, check out what Hawthorn and Richmond have done.

Oh and the Hawthorn players have big muscles too!

I too am with you Red.. +1

to add, where I see real value in a classic style forward is that it unsettles many an oppositions defensive makeup. It becomes far harder for them to match up a team that not only has a good goal square inhabitor but a couple of more mobile run arounds together with good damaging crumbers.

Many teams play fsar too one dimensionally up front and its these teams who eventually become ineffective as the defenders reel them in.

Instead it seems to me the club are looking longer term in trying to build some critical mass in the growth corridor in and around Casey. Unless someone has a better idea of how to grow our supporter base, I'm happy to run with this as we also have the support of a large and growing council in achieving a win /win partnership. As somebody else said "We are sort of building the plane as we are flying it".

I live nowhere near Casey but have been to watch several games there. The last time I went was against Collingwood earlier this year. I thought at that time, about how much had been achieved in such a short term, how good the ground was, that the amenities were all very new, facilites public friendly and overall what a good facility it was becomming and the best bit is that we has sole access to it.

Sadly we are not much more than a co-tennant at the "G" these days, when we get a chance to play there, usually on a Sunday afternoon..

Frankly I think it has been a brave, modern and untraditional move which is a bit unusual for us, but I'm glad we've had the nuts to give it a crack. Who knows one day we might own the South East Corridor of Melbourne or at least a decent slice of it.

Excellent points. Which makes it more than slightly annoying that good Casey players Alex Silvagni, Peter Faulks, and now possibly Tim Mohr are being taken from beneath our noses. If we're trying to nurture Casey we could be doing it much better!

Guest hangon007

Yeah, like Scully has no options.

Yeah, lets draft some more youngsters so they can walk when their 2 year contracts are up

Yeah, lets go back to the draft so next year we can have an even younger side than we have now

Yeah, lets build everything around the draft so we can wait seven years for the players to develop while getting smashed in the interim

For someone claiming to be a positive supporter you are in fact a dedicated defeatist

FFS we need to TRADE for proven players to restore some balance to a very dysfunctional group

heheheheh ... you missed the point. But I couldn't of put it any better myself. B) If you look at some of my earlier posts I was calling for the very same thing 15 months ago!!!!!!!

So in fact I'm a positive supporter ... by your measurement. But glad we agree there are many dedicated defeatits around here ... maybe the penny is dropping for some around here ... hehehehe

Edited by hangon007

Guest hangon007

Not sure how your comment relates to the topic, but I am somewhat surprised at your remark Hangon. We simply do not have the critical mass nor financial viability at this point to consider such a potentially dangerous and short term action of pumping huge sums into our own VFL side. Such a proposal for us is simply dreaming.

Further in our position you don't just pull very scarce resources from elsewhere to address such an issue, even if you wanted to go this way.

Hangon from your previous remarks you are clearly a proponent to playing games in Darwin to secure a better financial outcome for the club, for mine a reasonable position to take as long as you don't kill your players doing it, so I am surprised at your stance re our VFL side.

What about it's potential benefits at Casey?

We are not alone in our initiative, check out what Hawthorn and Richmond have done.

Oh and the Hawthorn players have big muscles too!

Casey is a boat anchor, VFL affiliate sides are sadly a dying species. There days are numbered for elite AFL clubs.

Casey is a boat anchor, VFL affiliate sides are sadly a dying species. There days are numbered for elite AFL clubs.

Its a lot more than being about Casey or the VFL, but if I bought your argument (which I don't),

Your solution to increasing the membership base is?

Your solution to funding going it alone is?

Your solution to finding a territory you own is?

It's not that hard to identify the problem but its a lot harder to find the solution

Players I would target:

John Butcher - Port Adelaide

Trengove - Port Adelaide

Dangerfield - Adelaide

Dawes - Collingwood

Cameron Wood - Collingwood

Brenton Sanderson - Geelong Assistant

These players are worthy of looking into. I would be happy trading the following players: Bate, Sylvia, Warnock, Bennell, Green, Jetta, Morton.

Scully is gone. We may only get 1 draft pick and I would use this on a player who is in the draft. Any picks outside the first we use to get perhaps one of the above.

I would be extramly happy if everyone in a board capasity at the club or assistant, besides Stynes, left the club. Until then I will not be purchasing my membership. I know I will cop it for this but I am not throwing my money away for clowns to be doing the job. We are the laughing stock of the afl and this must change...I almost wish we merged with Hawks in 1999. What a team we could have had.

John Butcher? Has done SFA since being drafted

Trengove? does bugger all on the field IMO. overrated

Dangerfield? Doesn't do enough for the price tag he'll come with. way overrated for his output

Dawes? Melbourne have a better chance of finding Atlantis

Wood? Hahaha.......seriously

I reckon we should go all out for Sam Reid of the Swans. He is young, big, tough and can play at either end. Similar to Cook, these 2 could be dynamite switching rotating from CHB and CHF. Trading for Reid would alleviate all of Butcher, Trengove and Dawes, all in one hit.

I agree, we need someone who is quick and is tough that could play all of HFF/HBF or through the midfield, HBF in particular. Jack Grimes has played this role, but we need someone quicker and with better disposal by foot. That a tougher version of Chris Yarran. I don't know if he is overly quick, but i'd prefer to get Sloane instead of Dangerfield from the Crows. Will cost less and his influence is just as great as Dangerfield's.

As for Cameron Wood..........No, absolutely not. We already have our development ruckman in Max Gawn. Wood has been in the system for many years, and the only thing that makes his resume stand out, is that he is a Pies player.

Guest hangon007

Its a lot more than being about Casey or the VFL, but if I bought your argument (which I don't),

Your solution to increasing the membership base is?

Your solution to funding going it alone is?

Your solution to finding a territory you own is?

It's not that hard to identify the problem but its a lot harder to find the solution

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I hate to say it ... but VFL affiliate sides are dead for elite AFL clubs.

I'm not here to argue with you either.

Edited by hangon007

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I hate to say it ... but VFL affiliate sides are dead for elite AFL clubs.

I'm not here to argue with you either.

IMO the Casey/Demons relationship isn't always going to be easy, but has potential upside. Happy to give it a chance.

Guest hangon007

IMO the Casey/Demons relationship isn't always going to be easy, but has potential upside. Happy to give it a chance.

Yip I agree with you but ... I have to accept VFL affiliate sides are dead for elite AFL sides.

Yip I agree with you but ... I have to accept VFL affiliate sides are dead for elite AFL sides.

Let's hope the stand alone clubs provide some membership slippage to us in our target area.

Guest hangon007

Let's hope the stand alone clubs provide some membership slippage to us in our target area.

That would be great ... I hope it works so dont get me wrong ... but I fear the trend is heading the other way when it comes to elite AFL clubs.

I doubt Port would let him go, but Travis Boak could be a good target. I know he's knocked back offers to come home before, but if we end up with suitable compensation for losing Tom Scully, perhaps we could use part of it to lure Boak back to Victoria.

Agree we need a power forward. My issue is- how the bloody hell are we going to get one? The good ones will not come cheap, and we have enough issues trying to keep the players we have.

Sort of wish we had drafted Darling.....................

No shite

Power forwards take time.

Dawes did nothing for a few seasons.

We have them on the list developing, we just need to wait a while.

Patience kiddies.

Unfortunately E there is a severe lack of that round here..............

If Cook lives up to the potential i have seen him play with at VFL level, and the raps he had in the U18's then i will take him and Watts without the power forward anyday, they will tear teams apart, 2 years max and he will be amazing in my opinion, playing 10+ games next year

Probably the most sensible post on the topic to date hangon!

I'd consider myself ultra bullish as an MFC supporter, and my glass is always half full when it comes to anything to do with the club, but some of the players being suggested on here as targets are pipe dreams!!!!!!

Scott Pendlebury....... come on please!

Judd, Warnock, Hale and Ball all rejected club advances in previous years and that was before the off field chaos was even known about!!!!

We have a long, long, long way to go before big names players would even consider joining the MFC, so keep some level of reality to the suggestions.

Although I do think you're a bit harsh on one point hangon....... our supporters are no more scathing of our players than other club supporters are of theirs.