Schwab and Connolly - Paul Roos is correct!

Dee Landing

Roos says if Schwab and Connolly were doing their job properly - there would be no need for Lyon to intervene.

100% spot on!! From a paid up members point of view - I am disgusted at how this situtaion has been allowed to happen - Schwab and Connolly have brought this club into disrepute and need to make a formal apology to everyone that contributes to this club.

Secondly - we seem to have a number of players who are not committed to bleeding for the jumper.

This is where Lyon and the football department need to get serious. We cannot afford any passengers in 2012 onwards. Keep only those players who want to be part of our future and move the rest on.

And finally, my 2012 membership renewal will depend on how serious some arses are kicked at this club and who we appoint as Captain and coach in 2012.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roos says if Schwab and Connolly were doing their job properly - there would be no need for Lyon to intervene.

100% spot on!! From a paid up members point of view - I am disgusted at how this situtaion has been allowed to happen - Schwab and Connolly have brought this club into disrepute and need to make a formal apology to everyone that contributes to this club.

Secondly - we seem to have a number of players who are not committed to bleeding for the jumper.

This is where Lyon and the football department need to get serious. We cannot afford any passengers in 2012 onwards. Keep only those players who want to be part of our future and move the rest on.

And finally, my 2012 membership renewal will depend on how serious some arses are kicked at this club and who we appoint as Captain and coach in 2012.

Roos may be right..i cannot say yet. Jimmy's health problems are not something anyone as ready for. In that respect i think everyone has been trying to cover for him, and thus taken their eye of their own particuliar job.

I could be way off the mark, but that is how i see it so far.

Everytime i hear Garry speak, i am thinkig he has the right attitude. Do not waver Garry....Find out all the truths.

Roos may be right..i cannot say yet. Jimmy's health problems are not something anyone as ready for. In that respect i think everyone has been trying to cover for him, and thus taken their eye of their own particuliar job.

Everytime i hear Garry speak, i am thinkig he has the right attitude. Do not waver Garry....Find out all the truths.

I think too that the lack of a Football Dept manager has been a huge gaping hole in the middle of the club since Leoncelli left.

This type of bickering belongs in local footy clubs, not professional ones! If CS & CC are found to be an unsettling force with in the club, then they have to go! reguardless! :mad:

Edited by tatu

Why did the board allow Jimmy to step into that roll when he was never going to be able to do It properly? The club Is In all sorts at the moment, a few people need to swallow there pride grow up and start working together.

One other thing, As much as I love Jimmy.. For him to say that the boys should be proud of there efforts on MMM after the game Is an absolute disgrace.

Completely ignorant OP and subsequent posts -- Lyon is filling the role of Football Director, that is outside either of Schwab or Connolly's roles, and is a very much required role.

I understand people not knowing exactly what Garry is doing - I read Scotty West on the AFL website with Matthews share his confusion...

He is effectively a Board member Football Director that Leoncelli filled for a couple of years up until this year.

CS and CC have been apparently all over the place with their performance and the Football Director is the one who has the ear of the LG, the Admin, the Coach, and CS and CC.

I don't have a problem with that role, in fact I think it is essential that the board knows what is happening.

Why did the board allow Jimmy to step into that roll when he was never going to be able to do It properly? The club Is In all sorts at the moment, a few people need to swallow there pride grow up and start working together.

One other thing, As much as I love Jimmy.. For him to say that the boys should be proud of there efforts on MMM after the game Is an absolute disgrace.

Good question on the 1st line.

But your comment about Jimmy's post match comment is both ungracious given his precarious position and what would you expect a Club President to say in his condition, hasnt seen the match on public radio? Did you really think a terminally ill man would vent and criticise people on commercial radio???

Good question on the 1st line.

But your comment about Jimmy's post match comment is both ungracious given his precarious position and what would you expect a Club President to say in his condition, hasnt seen the match on public radio? Did you really think a terminally ill man would vent and criticise people on commercial radio???

Yeah fair enough I understand what your saying, I just don't want people at our club being proud of a 12 goal loss. Wouldn't see Eddie or Sticks proud of that effort but I guess given Jimmy's circumstances he was never going to say anything else. Everybody else at the club should be filthy! If ever there was a game to show some ticker It was this one, instead we roll over and get flogged.

Did anyone realistically expect to win today. We were hoping for at a minimum a better performance than last week. I was hoping to see some competitiveness, an eagerness to fight for the ball. I dont understand how any supporter were expecting us to turnaround after the shellacking they have received in the press all week, in every paper, in all the media forums. They were being blamed for the coach's sacking. Todd was never going to achieve some miraculous makeover. We now have to be brutally honest with ourselves that the good teams have got even better and most of our young boys have stalled in their development (with the exception of Watts, Trengove and Tappy). We have little on-field leadership. We now write off 2011 and start again. The skinny teenagers get in the gym and work their guts out over the summer. We sort out off field problems (really sort them out and not paper over them). We continue to support our team. Dont call me soft for accepting todays result. I felt sick watching it but at least it was not the horror show of last week. They are a shattered group of men/boys at the moment and they need our support whilst they are working their way out of it.

You may be right there WYL.

If you were close enough to the club to hear the true facts of those involved you would realise the press have distorted so much of the truth, you would have a different picture. The press take a possible issue, tell it and retell it until distortion is perceived to be the disastrous truth. Of course some issues to deal with but nothing like the press have painted. You are gullible, need a rest from the whole story and come back next year when those issues are well in hand. Fortunately there are better heads in charge of our club than your own spinning one and they are well worth trusting. As admired as Roos is even he can get caught up in in the hysteria of the press because that is what he is these days. I'll stick with our men, I trust them.

Edited by Harrisonrules

Did anyone realistically expect to win today. We were hoping for at a minimum a better performance than last week. I was hoping to see some competitiveness, an eagerness to fight for the ball. I dont understand how any supporter were expecting us to turnaround after the shellacking they have received in the press all week, in every paper, in all the media forums. They were being blamed for the coach's sacking. Todd was never going to achieve some miraculous makeover. We now have to be brutally honest with ourselves that the good teams have got even better and most of our young boys have stalled in their development (with the exception of Watts, Trengove and Tappy). We have little on-field leadership. We now write off 2011 and start again. The skinny teenagers get in the gym and work their guts out over the summer. We sort out off field problems (really sort them out and not paper over them). We continue to support our team. Dont call me soft for accepting todays result. I felt sick watching it but at least it was not the horror show of last week. They are a shattered group of men/boys at the moment and they need our support whilst they are working their way out of it.

Good post.

Completely ignorant OP and subsequent posts -- Lyon is filling the role of Football Director, that is outside either of Schwab or Connolly's roles, and is a very much required role.

Yes ... but the Football Director's role is a non-Executive role : it's very much a part time role.

Gary is preparing for a full-on involvement - akin to management role. Essentially Roos is correct : Gary is having to step in because the Board can't trust Schwab and Connolly to operate a cohesive football department.

Surely one or other of Schwab and Connolly - if not both - has to go before Gary pulls back.

Edited by hoopla

Jimmy and the board have done a tremendous job at getting the faithful to believe again. But perhaps reuniniting former players and managers to create unity and stability instead of searching for the best available people to run the footy department may have been a mistake.

Good summation, with a healthy dose of common sense there longsuffering......

Jimmy and the board have done a tremendous job at getting the faithful to believe again. But perhaps reuniniting former players and managers to create unity and stability instead of searching for the best available people to run the footy department may have been a mistake.

Maybe, maybe not, but an action that probably won't be repeted this time around......

Maybe, maybe not, but an action that probably won't be repeted this time around......

Really? We've just elevated Viney and added Lyon.

I like Viney as interim coach, but it could have been West or Royal. We went for the ex-Melbourne player.

When you say the action probably won't be repeated, I don't share your confidence.

We're a bit like a royal family, the Dees. Limited gene pool at board level. All of the old warriors who won premierships have faded into old-aged/different era obscurity. The incest continues.

Instead of heading towards a premiership, we're heading towards large Adam's apples and subtle intellectual disability.

Now instead of the powerhouse that we were, we're just a bunch of harmless simpletons living in an irrelevant castle. The media still makes a fortune from us though, they love royalty.

Yes ... but the Football Director's role is a non-Executive role : it's very much a part time role.

Gary is preparing for a full-on involvement - akin to management role. Essentially Roos is correct : Gary is having to step in because the Board can't trust Schwab and Connolly to operate a cohesive football department.

Surely one or other of Schwab and Connolly - if not both - has to go before Gary pulls back.

Roos might well be correct, but it's not necessarily that they can't trust these two in Connolly and Schwab. IMO it's because of the void left as a result of inaction by the MFC Board. It would be better run if the Football Director position was filled by someone soley in the role as Football Director.

The failure to appoint a Football Director to the Board in the last 8-9 months since Andrew Leoncelli stepped down his role has contributed to all this 'mess' and internal bickering. IMO this is the boards doing. That Schwab and Connolly may have in some way job shared this role whilst neglecting their own (not pay full attention to their own jobs) has contributed, and it may have been highlighted by the Andrew's Report. As a result, Jimmy put his hand up to fulfil the role as Football Director as well as President as recognition that the failure to appoint someone in this important role was taking it's toll in other departments.

How the board had let it come to this, where an unfortunately ill - but admittedly part time club legend was trying to fulfil two roles at once with the help of Don McLardy, is beyond me (as much as I admire Stynes for his 'whatever it takes' attitude). Stynes' recognition by asking G.Lyon for assistance in this role and recognising he won't be able to address the needs of the club in his capacity, is a direct result of letting this matter fester over a long period and a failure to appoint someone for the position since last December.

A more professionally run club, "a great club", would have found a replacement for the Football Director to the board in a heart beat. It's our own club's doing.

What simply needs to be done is that those in the positions they are appointed in, should do their job. And a fulltime Football Director to the Board be found and appointed. And any internal hiccups, or what people's roles are - need to be reinforced and ironed out. These should be the main objectives in the short term. Other matters may include player matters (uncontracted; concerns) and list management updates for the Board.

And that our Board be more decisive and prudent in Club communication and functionality.

Well said. Agree, 100%. Support is what the team needs more than ever. The so-called 'supporters' who are going to jump ship should do so permanently but you can guarantee they'll jump back on board when things start to turn around for us. And they'll tell everyone within cooee how they've been Melbourne supporters all their life.

The first three players to go IMO are Morton, Sylvia and Bate. We should get some good picks or trades from those three, they just don't seem interested.

True, never thought we'd win but thought we'd get a bit closer than 76 points. I agree with the players have stopped in their development, this has got to be down to the last coach and one of the reasons he had to go. We will start to pick up again but next thing to do is get rid of uninterested passengers-Morton, Sylvis, Bate and a couple more. Green should lose Captaincy, he's not up to it, give it to Trengove and let Green play at full-forward.

Really? We've just elevated Viney and added Lyon.

I like Viney as interim coach, but it could have been West or Royal. We went for the ex-Melbourne player.

When you say the action probably won't be repeated, I don't share your confidence.

I understand what you're saying Barry.....

These appointments are what is best for now (I think Viney was the best option of the available choices, and Garry has an important role to play for Jim's sake as much for the clubs).

But longer term was what I was talking about and the choices made could well be quite different this time around.

Edited by QueenC