• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Gerard Healy's article

mmc

Few interesting points arise from this article (if we are to believe Gerard Healy- personally, I am more inclined to believe him than HS or Age reporters). The article is from August 1, but I have not come across a thread related to it in the past few days.

Firstly, on a mainly sentimental note, it says that Bailey offered to personally pay for the entire squad's accommodation and food etc. for an extra night in Geelong for the purposes of a team bonding trip, and to train on Skilled Stadium on Friday. Apart from anything, it illustrates the passion and commitment this bloke had for his players and the future. Gee, I feel for the way this guy was treated (if media reports are correct). No wonder his players loved him. Also, I query how the administration can justify the expenditure on apparently surplus employees in that department, but deny the football department funds for what would appear to be a far more worthwhile venture (i.e. team bonding, training on an unfamiliar surface, assimilating playing interstate where our record is deplorable).

Secondly, it says that there was no player revolt- they merely gave forthright answers to the questions of the disturbingly small number of people who cared to enquire whether they were discontent with the administration of the club.

Thirdly, this board, rightly credited with remedying the club's alarming financial position, has ignored the players twice. It appears none of the three branches of government of the club can be spared blame.

Fourthly, the club invested 80k into a report which was for various reasons ignored (as has also been reported elsewhere). This I truly do not understand, unless the administration (at which I gather the report's less complementary points were aimed) has played a role in 'burying' the report.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/is-new-leadership-the-one-constructive-outcome-that-could-emerge-from-melbourne-demons-week-from-hell/story-e6frf3e3-1226106183382

(I hope this link works- if not, it's on the Fox Sports website.)

This club needs a strong football personality to steer them through the next few years

That is the last thing we need. Another footballer running the club. Get some serious business talent in there...

You want players to play for the coach, but they don’t have to love him. In Wayne Careys recent book he said Pagan would tell them you may hate me, but we will win games of football and mentioned Melbourne under Neil Balme had a coach they loved and were down the bottom.

No way were we playing for the coach. Let’s not gloss over the 2nd worst loss in the history of the AFL. We were rubbish and have been rubbish in most of our many losses this year.

Let’s not get confused between loving the coach and playing our best for the coach. Bailey time and again failed in our ability to defend and turn things around when the chips were down.

Let’s hope we fire a shot this weekend. If we don’t we are in serious serious trouble.

This club needs a strong football personality to steer them through the next few years

That is the last thing we need. Another footballer running the club. Get some serious business talent in there...

The board is made up of strong business people, probably the most credentialed board in the AFL. They need someone with experience of being in a football dept who also can relate to the business side of football.

The tail cannot wag the dog.

Asking for feedback does not mean that if it does not result in a sacking that it hasn't been taken on board.

You talk about disconnects... There is a serious disconnect between some supporters expectations and reality.

The board is made up of strong business people, probably the most credentialed board in the AFL. They need someone with experience of being in a football dept who also can relate to the business side of football.

Yes, seems to be the crux of the situation with the Board. And explains why Schwab (good at business and admin) is still there, and Bailey isn't (though not saying he should be either).

Interesting, informed article - especially the bit about Schwab pushing to have Bailey sacked after the Bulldogs game. Not interfering in the Football side of things??? And then Schwab comes out and complains that Bailey was undermining him? I don't know that even after last weekends events, Cameron "gets it".

Guest Thomo

You want players to play for the coach, but they don’t have to love him. In Wayne Careys recent book he said Pagan would tell them you may hate me, but we will win games of football and mentioned Melbourne under Neil Balme had a coach they loved and were down the bottom.

No way were we playing for the coach. Let’s not gloss over the 2nd worst loss in the history of the AFL. We were rubbish and have been rubbish in most of our many losses this year.

Let’s not get confused between loving the coach and playing our best for the coach. Bailey time and again failed in our ability to defend and turn things around when the chips were down.

Let’s hope we fire a shot this weekend. If we don’t we are in serious serious trouble.

Good post. A fair bit of history is getting rewritten this week.

You are right - but so is Healy.

We need both.

Exactly, if the players want a best friend then let them go out and make one. They should understand the the coach is their boss and in this business the boss has to make hard decisions, decisions he cannot make if he is too close to the group. I'm with Pagan they may hate the coach but they will admire and respect him if he brings out the best in them and they win a flag.

What do the following all have in common, Balme, Daniher and bailey? They were all good media performers and the press loved them; if the media had their way Balme would still be our coach and we would still be on the bottom. The other thing they have/will have in common is that they will never be a senior coach again.

We have employed too many good media performers that have a wonderful personality that the players and press alike love but the players have shown that like and respect are totally different things and that the press ill shitcan the guy until we sack him then they put him on a pedestal and shitcam us.

The tail cannot wag the dog.Asking for feedback does not mean that if it does not result in a sacking that it hasn't been taken on board.

You talk about disconnects... There is a serious disconnect between some supporters expectations and reality.

God I hate that analogy. It suggests that the players are not at the heart of a football club. That is all.

God I hate that analogy. It suggests that the players are not at the heart of a football club. That is all.

Ok, forget the analogy.

They're an important part of the club, but they are not in charge and do not make decisions on hiring & firing.

It's that simple.

One thing I've noticed on this forum. When there is a positive article about us in the media , the overwhelming majority of posters laud it as well balanced and written, intelligent, on the money, etc, etc. When there are negative articles then there is near universal condemnation such as, load of rubbish, hidden agendas, based on rumours, writer has a grudge etc, etc,etc. Given all the crap that is going on at this club at the moment it appears most posters don't have a clue at how to objectively interpret media musings.

Edited by america de cali

One thing I've noticed on this forum. When there is a positive article about us in the media , the overwhelming majority of posters laud it as well balanced and written, intelligent, on the money, etc, etc. When there are negative articles then there is near universal condemnation such as, load of rubbish, hidden agendas, based on rumours, writer has a grudge etc, etc,etc. Given all the crap that is going on at this club at the moment it appears most posters don't have a clue at how to objectively interpret media musings.

Agree. When Matthew Lloyd (in all his infinite football wisdom) was writing articles predicting our list was capable of winning a premiership before Hawthorn's last year, no-one said a thing. Yet when he comes out and criticises our club for the way we behaved after that win against Essendon, Lloyd's hatred of Melbourne was the main topic of conversation.

Thats exactly Right, and the supporters need a Hard Headed Footy Figurehead, one we all can Believe in. Jimmy's been doing a Great Job, but now he needs to focus on himself & we need him to.

We need a 'Take no Prisoners', Ex footballer as Pres', to lead us forward.

This is not to increase the 'boys club'... but rather we may need to look at reducing the number of other X Dees around the club in other positions???

But the Head should Preferably be one of our Own...

Thats exactly Right, and the supporters need a Hard Headed Footy Figurehead, one we all can Believe in. Jimmy's been doing a Great Job, but now he needs to focus on himself & we need him to.

We need a 'Take no Prisoners', Ex footballer as Pres', to lead us forward.

This is not to increase the 'boys club'... but rather we may need to look at reducing the number of other X Dees around the club in other positions???

But the Head should Preferably be one of our Own...

Dee-luded most of what you say is correct however I do think it necessarily needs to be an x player of the club.

Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and St Kilda seem to have done fairly well without a x player at the helm.

The wrath of everyone will probably decend on me for saying this but here goes.

Part of the problem may be our leader Jim.

I know he saved the club, not doubt about it.

But this year his illness may have kept him out of things more than in the past.

Particular the last few months.

As a result numerous people have wandered off doing there own thing.

With the current result.

What we need is a fit Guy at the helm.

Now I may be 100% incorrect and yell me at will

but I believe Jim's illness has contributed to the problem.

Edited by old dee

Dee-luded most of what you say is correct however I do think it necessarily needs to be an x player of the club.

Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn and St Kilda seem to have done fairly well without a x player at the helm.

The wrath of everyone will probably decend on me for saying this but here goes.

Part of the problem may be our leader Jim.

I know he saved the club, not doubt about it.

But this year his illness may have kept him out of things more than in the past.

Particular the least few months.

With the current result.

I think Jim should serve in an honorary position like Patron of the club and a new president elected.

Patron

a person chosen, named, or honored as a special guardian, protector, or supporter

Anyone see a problem with this?

Like any of the supporters I love Jimmy and what he has done for the club is unbelievable, but it's time he looked after himself and started to try and repair his health. In an honorary position like this he would still have the influence but not the pressure or the stress.

I think Jim should serve in an honorary position like Patron of the club and a new president elected.

Patron

a person chosen, named, or honored as a special guardian, protector, or supporter

Anyone see a problem with this?

Like any of the supporters I love Jimmy and what he has done for the club is unbelievable, but it's time he looked after himself and started to try and repair his health. In an honorary position like this he would still have the influence but not the pressure or the stress.

Good suggestion Robbief but I just do not see it happening. He just loves the club to much.

I have this horrible fear the dees are going to bring him down.

Particular the last few months.

With the current result.

This would be the major factor in most of our problems right now.

Nobody is really to blame, as in everybody trying to cover for the great man, but we are now where we are because our Great Prez has had to take his eye off the game

This would be the major factor in most of our problems right now.

Nobody is really to blame, as in everybody trying to cover for the great man, but we are now where we are because our Great Prez has had to take his eye off the game

Does not say much for a few under him does it.

I just feel sick to the core for him

Does not say much for a few under him does it.

I just feel sick to the core for him

Like a bunch of kids in a classroom when a teacher was sick....Remember those Days O.D.??

Humans need leading..it's in our DNA. I am just glad it came out now...it would have only got worse by x 10 if it had festered into 2012.

Like a bunch of kids in a classroom when a teacher was sick....Remember those Days O.D.??

Humans need leading..it's in our DNA. I am just glad it came out now...it would have only got worse by x 10 if it had festered into 2012.

unfortunately I do WYL.

You are no doubt right but it Does not seem much of a compensation right now

unfortunately I do WYL.

You are no doubt right but it Does not seem much of a compensation right now

It is deplorable was has happened over the last 6 odd months (maybe longer) But i don't blame one person...it just got out of hand IMO.

They loved Balme, they loved Danners, they loved Bailey.

I f**king hate the bloke that got me into the best physical shape of my life. He was a complete [censored].

Not the best analogy, but I really hope we get a colossal figure that will really push the players.

Edited by Geddy Lee

Years ago i worked for Alan "Butch" Gale ex Fitzroy and Victorian captain and he related a storey to me one day about Norm Smith. It was one night after training he was told to stay on for some additional work by Smith, he was coach of Fitzroy at the time, and Smith had him running sprints until he could hardly stand. When he was completely buggered Smith made him do a few more until he was hanging to the goal post throwing up. Butch told me he hated Smith, but he was still the best coach he had ever had.

Now i don't think that would work now, i wouldn't imagine that OH& S would allow it, but it shows to me that you don't have to like the coach you have to respect and learn from him.