On the Couch

Demon Stalwart

I'd like to think the loss on Saturday was not the intervening event that essentially saved Schwab from losing his job because that would be craziness. However from the sounds of it, Schwab was gone Friday night, come Saturday night a scapegoat was needed, and Bailey was the one that came under the chopping block. The question is why did they not sack both of them? There had to have been more at play for Schwab to stay.

Surely the players would have known that the effort they put in on Saturday was only going to hurt one man and that is Dean Bailey. CEOs generally don't get fired on the back of on-field performances.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep Im also totally confused Also in the discussion was that the players let their feelings known Also Garry Lyon was discussed and talk about him agreeing to get involved but with conditions I believe they said he may be the next Pres not sure on this as I stepped out the room but that was what I was toldAlso Lyon had something to do with the change in the decision Id just love answers thats All From the Club from the Coaching dept and most of allfrom the PLAYERS!!!!!!!

What I took from the word about Garry was about him being the next Pres, at the very least much more involved, and visually so. And then, in answer to you Nasher, I take that back to the Presser when Jim said that his condition means that he isn't capable of doing the job he should be doing, and that is why he apportions part of the blame from Saturday to himself as well. Now we all know that talk of this being Jimmys fault is absolute BS, but one can understand where a proud and selfles man who loves this club so much can come up with such a thought. Perhaps him saying that has something to do with softening the blow for all of us if he stands down. I don't think too many people would be sad to see Garry as Pres, but replacing Jimmy is a different thing. At the end of the day though, if Jimmy isn't able to do the job that he wants and expects to do, then for his own sake he must step down, as he doesn't need the stress of feeling like he is failing in what he is trying to achieve. These are interesting times, and will only get more so over the coming days and weeks, but as Dean said today, the best clubs and players go through some terrible adversity on their way to the top, but how they deal with it and what they learn from it help to make them stronger and more resilient when their career starts coming to a head.

Should Jim be the President then?

Anyone watch One Week at a Time?

So frustrating hearing those buffoons vent their spleen.

Loved how Wallsy said "Ignore their average losing margin of 66 points for a minute, they've still won 7.5 games"

Then almost seemed to take the credit for Brisbane's era of dominance.

Yes made me get Angry again.....those clowns have no idea.

Adelaide have already started looking for a coach....Deep down Bailey understands the clubs position, it's not as if we have any modern cups in the cupboard.

The other thing important to remember is that even though there is talk of player discontent, these were (according to media) issues that were raised as part of the buried Andrews Report (why was it buried), and had not been rectified. Now if that is the case, then I feel a bit better about them, because the AR would have been asking the players about issues. If the club then proceeded to sweep said issues under the carpet, then I can understand them feeling a little miffed about it. The next question is that since the AR has been buried, all this talk is just speculation, however for some reason, I am inclined to feel that there is legs to this story. I hope like hell it is all a media beat-up, but am afraid that it isn't.

Loved how Wallsy said "Ignore their average losing margin of 66 points for a minute, they've still won 7.5 games"

Robert Walls is such a [censored]. Yeah we will just ignore the fact that we lose more matches than we win and we lose by an average of 66 points.

It just seems to get more bizarre the more you think about. Didn't Caro write an article that the players performance was somehow linked to unrest with the administration( haven't read it, just what I have heard). Now, 2 things would have been clear to the playing group by Friday night/ Saturday morning. 1, Schwab was on the verge of getting the axe and 2, DB was on the verge of a 1 possibly 2 yr extension! They then proceed to put it the worst performance of any team in the history of the game.....WTF is going on inside the walls of our club??

This. Bailey was struggling, and I've heard all the pro's and con's.

But to go from Schwab out / Bailey extended to Bailey out / Schwab extended makes no sense to me either... If this is corporate spin winning over hard decisions then we're stuffed.

I think it could be seen as easy to sack the coach and keep the CEO - sacking the coach < 24 hours after a bad defeat is weak.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am in our club, but I'll be there watching us play BRUISING footy on the w/end

Get a grip. If you actually think the players went out there and tanked because of some perceived issue with club administration then you are ridiculously gullible and will fall for any crap spewed out in the media.

The tanking talk is also a non issue as highlighted by Adrian Anderson after the Bailey press conference.

Do you really think Jimmy and the board wouldn't have the gumption to pull the trigger on Schwab or Connolly if they thought it necessary. Don't be so ridiculous or paranoid.

Dean Bailey is truly a classy genuine bloke, but the writing was on the wall and the club did what needed to be done. Whatever other crap or spin those in the media like Sheehan or Barrett or Wilson want to put on it is nothing more than that- Spin.

Did you watch the presser? I was gutted watching him. I know the circumstances were regretful, but I thought he looked like a pale imitation of himself.

Only Jim and the Board know whether he should be Pres. He still may be the best we have. But he should stop immediately if it's inhibiting his health.

By the end of it he was basically apologising for having cancer and not being able to give more to the footy club which is an absolute embarassment to guys like Garry Lyon and others who could get involved but would prefer to leave it to this hero of our club to try and bare the load and unite the squabbling factions himself. I mean seriously.

Watching On The Couch I have some very very grave concerns for our club. IF Schwab was to be sacked/not have his contract renewed on Friday but was re-signed for 12 months on Sunday what a shambles of a way to run a so-called professional organisation.

Where do the players sit? You can't have the tail wagging the dog but if there are real issues evident with the playing group these need to be addressed 'cause after all they are the ones we pay to go and watch every week. None of this other political bull$hit would be relevant if not for the players.

Where does Connolly sit in all this? What is his role at the club and is he going to be kept on as well?

It was mentioned we will be making a loss this year - how is this possible even though we have broken the membership record again? Is it because they budgeted for 40K members? I thought our deal with the MCC saw us pocket $100K a game now no matter what the crowd so the home games vs interstate teams should not be a factor.

Who is running the club and what is Garry Lyon's role? Is he the man behind the scenes while Stynes is the public face to get everyone on board?

What have we doen to try and get successful people from successful cultures across to the club to try and rid the MFC of our culture of softness and failure? Did Schwab and Cuddles keep their spots because they are part of the 80's Boys Club?

If we lost to Geelong by 80 points and not 180 would Bailey have been coaching us in 2012? Was the a panicked decision made to appease supporters/power-brokers or was it a decision made in the ebst long-term interests of the club?

There are a lot of questions which need answering and there are probably many more than those I have raised above. For someone who is an outsider and has no clue as to the workings of the inner sanctum it looks like the club is an amatuer rabble. In light of the things which have been raised in the last 2-7 days does anyone really think Scully will want to stay? Alternatively, do people now see his managers comments of players conflict with the admin and wanting to see what pans out post-season in a new light?

I am absolutely shattered at the moment. There seems to be a lot of cr@p going on behind the scenes that the average supporter is not privy to. Now, this may be true of most clubs, especially those who aren't gunning for a flag but I would have expected a club who is rising up the ladder and who expects to have a long tilt at a flag in a couple of years would have most people on the one page. Is it just ego's? Is it the Boys Club ruling again? How can we possibly expect to ever be a successful club with all this cr@p flying in the background. Is it a wonder we can never lure a big-name (or even small-name) to our club unless they are looking for a pension plan?

I don't know what else to say at the moment I just hope the club has the professionalism, backbone and unity to know what to do from here.

Yes made me get Angry again.....those clowns have no idea.

Adelaide have already started looking for a coach....Deep down Bailey understands the clubs position, it's not as if we have any modern cups in the cupboard.

Walls is an absolute hypocrite, they all are, the media scream for blood and when someone gets the sack, IMO Bailey had to get the sack, the media turn on the club for sacking him, its pathetic and the club should just move on and forget all this crap.

This. Bailey was struggling, and I've heard all the pro's and con's.

But to go from Schwab out / Bailey extended to Bailey out / Schwab extended makes no sense to me either... If this is corporate spin winning over hard decisions then we're stuffed.

I think it could be seen as easy to sack the coach and keep the CEO - sacking the coach < 24 hours after a bad defeat is weak.

Can't tell you how disappointed I am in our club, but I'll be there watching us play BRUISING footy on the w/end

Don Mclardy was on SEN this afternoon and said their had been no talk of an extension for Bailey.

The other thing important to remember is that even though there is talk of player discontent, these were (according to media) issues that were raised as part of the buried Andrews Report (why was it buried), and had not been rectified. Now if that is the case, then I feel a bit better about them, because the AR would have been asking the players about issues. If the club then proceeded to sweep said issues under the carpet, then I can understand them feeling a little miffed about it. The next question is that since the AR has been buried, all this talk is just speculation, however for some reason, I am inclined to feel that there is legs to this story. I hope like hell it is all a media beat-up, but am afraid that it isn't.

From what I recall Jim Stynes placed himself as the football director to investigate & assess the FD because of the Andrews report. I find it extremely hard to believe that he was unaware of player unrest as he was supposed to be overseeing the FD. Perhaps this is why he feels responsible, can't say I blame him for feeling that way. There are serious problems at our club & I feel one of these issues is regarding the footy directors role. I love Jim & I'm extremely greatful for him doing the things he has whilst saving the club from debt & bringing it back together. However it is clear the club needs to appoint a director of football from outside the club who has premiership success & knows what it takes to succeed on & off the field. Jim can't be the everywhere man. I just hope the club starts appointing people from outside the club as it is beginning to look like a mates club.

What's done is done.

Time to back Jimmy & Todd and smack the blues like we should.

This is a defining moment, schwab is a journeyman. I wouldn't waste too much time worrying about him.

Edited by tonatopia

I'd like to think the loss on Saturday was not the intervening event that essentially saved Schwab from losing his job because that would be craziness. However from the sounds of it, Schwab was gone Friday night, come Saturday night a scapegoat was needed, and Bailey was the one that came under the chopping block. The question is why did they not sack both of them? There had to have been more at play for Schwab to stay.

Surely the players would have known that the effort they put in on Saturday was only going to hurt one man and that is Dean Bailey. CEOs generally don't get fired on the back of on-field performances.

Sacking one in the current circumstances doesn't look good from outside the club.

Given the result on Saturday, the club had to act. Sacking the CEO is an outcome that does not fit the antecedent. The club and coach is already under pressure from the media and the membership, and the Board are representative of that membership. Sacking the coach given the history and the current circumstance, while extreme and somewhat reactionary, is not an unreasonable outcome.

Sacking the two of them looks like the club is imploding completely and irrecoverably; that those governing it have lost complete control. An extension to Schwab looks (to me) like an extension for now until he and the club can come to an amicable parting; away from the current glare.

Speculation, but reasonable.

I'm overseas, trying to work out what has happened since I left on Saturday. Why was Schwab going to get the sack?

From what I can gather he is seen to be interfering too much in the footy department and not focussing on what his role as CEO should be which would be running the club/admin, sponsors, coterie etc.

Thanks for the heads up. Living in WA certainly does have it's advantages...

and three of those wins were by 90 points+

didnt hear too many complaints when we flogged Essendon either

Beating up on mediocre interstate teams at the MCG and the Gold Coast isn't a lot to write home about though. The Essendon win was a ripper, but alas, not enough.

And the main thing is that 66 points is an abhorrent average losing margin, yet Wallsy looked at it and chose to completely ignore it. :huh:

"Still a man hears what he wants to hear

And disregards the rest "

There are at least half a dozen different scenarios out there of what was supposed to happen, some put out by members of the media, others by supposed insiders (and even one I've heard said to come from a current player) who would have us believe that they know the truth. Problem is that not all the stories match and some don't make sense. and the truth is that much of what we hear is a load of garbage.

It's sickening and worrying that once again this club seems to be falling apart at the seams. When will all this pathetic infighting end?

Don't worry Jaded, these are 'Growing Pains'.

They happen often and at all clubs from time to time,,, mostly kept 'inside', but in this year of expectation, many Issues have compounded to rear up into an Ugly exhibition that has rolled on for nearly a week.

All this started IMO, last year at the end of the season or just before it, when the wrong decision was made to remove Junior, so we could get even more quality kids on the list. I think that some may have been getting Impatient with the speed of the rebuild, & maybe they got greedy & tried to speed it up to it's absolute maximum. they went too far & removed our spiritual leader.

This started an incredible set of circumstances that the club would treat our most dedicated player and Captain against his will, without real consultation and compassion. I think this would then snowball to other players from that Era, opening up old wounds.

Not a good way to enter the Pre Season!

End of season trip to China.

Back to Pre Season. Players getting fit, but the uneasy truce remains. Frawley gets injured. GWS have been doing their rounds. A recipe to make fire crackers simmers on. An indifferent pre season campaign that worries supporters, & leaves a lack of confidence entering the season. The season starts & a great game Rnd 1, a draw. Enter Hawthorn Rnd 2 @ night, bang. The rot sets in. From here all & sundry have been under the pump, from onfield efforts to the GWS saga.

The underground push by some to get Bailey had never eased up, just went underground.

The Sad thing is all this could have been done cleanly without all this To Do, just by being supportive of Bailey, and deciding on the coaching situation at the End of the season as per normal.

He was out of contract anyway, and the players could have focused without all this confusion as the season carried on.

And Now the protagonists have caused an almighty Mess, thats damaged the Club, the players, the Coach who's served with such dedication & integrity, the whole feeling of all supporting the club, & Jimma.

No good has come of this, just a massive mess, including the game on the weekend, which was obviously effected by all this crap going on all season.

I am really [censored] off at this childish behavior thats put our clubs wellbeing at risk!

They happen often and at all clubs from time to time,,, mostly kept 'inside', but in this year of expectation, many Issues have compounded to rear up into an Ugly exhibition that has rolled on for nearly a week.

At least it has all come out all in one go....so it can be dealt with head on hopefully....a slow burn would be far more destructive.

All this started IMO, last year at the end of the season or just before it, when the wrong decision was made to remove Junior, so we could get even more quality kids on the list. I think that some may have been getting Impatient with the speed of the rebuild, & maybe they got greedy & tried to speed it up to it's absolute maximum. they went too far & removed our spiritual leader.

This started an incredible set of circumstances that the club would treat our most dedicated player and Captain against his will, without real consultation and compassion. I think this would then snowball to other players from that Era, opening up old wounds.

Not a good way to enter the Pre Season!

End of season trip to China.

Back to Pre Season. Players getting fit, but the uneasy truce remains. Frawley gets injured. GWS have been doing their rounds. A recipe to make fire crackers simmers on. An indifferent pre season campaign that worries supporters, & leaves a lack of confidence entering the season. The season starts & a great game Rnd 1, a draw. Enter Hawthorn Rnd 2 @ night, bang. The rot sets in. From here all & sundry have been under the pump, from onfield efforts to the GWS saga.

The underground push by some to get Bailey had never eased up, just went underground.

The Sad thing is all this could have been done cleanly without all this To Do, just by being supportive of Bailey, and deciding on the coaching situation at the End of the season as per normal.

He was out of contract anyway, and the players could have focused without all this confusion as the season carried on.

And Now the protagonists have caused an almighty Mess, thats damaged the Club, the players, the Coach who's served with such dedication & integrity, the whole feeling of all supporting the club, & Jimma.

No good has come of this, just a massive mess, including the game on the weekend, which was obviously effected by all this crap going on all season.

I am really [censored] off at this childish behavior thats put our clubs wellbeing at risk!

These aren't just growing pains. There are deep issues with the board, admin & FD. The club may have cleared the debt but IMO have no idea how to get this club to a premiership. Why was the Andrews report ignored? Why has Schwab been allowed to do as he pleases? What exactly is CC's role? The players don't even want to be on the park. It doesn't get much worse than this. I think good will come of it, the club can not ignore these issues. Jim asked the members to keep the board & admin accountable. Questions have got to be asked why things were ever able to get this bad.

These aren't just growing pains. There are deep issues with the board, admin & FD. The club may have cleared the debt but IMO have no idea how to get this club to a premiership. Why was the Andrews report ignored? Why has Schwab been allowed to do as he pleases? What exactly is CC's role? The players don't even want to be on the park. It doesn't get much worse than this. I think good will come of it, the club can not ignore these issues. Jim asked the members to keep the board & admin accountable. Questions have got to be asked why things were ever able to get this bad.

Totally agree.

Agree and those two questions are extremely pertinent ones that demand answers.

Agree and those two questions are extremely pertinent ones that demand answers.

I know I will be writing an open letter to the entire club asking for an explanation & demanding a more professional model to run the FD. I suggest more members do the same or express their thoughts to the club in your own way.